A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Comfortable chairs - Gigi

Posted: Apr 17, 2014

Does anyone have a heads up on a good, comfortable chair I can order online? I just moved into a new apartment and need a much better chair than the one I have. I used to think the more you paid, the better the chair but I've learned that's not true whatsoever. What's your chair like?

chair - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Gigi, in my opinion a chair is something I wouldn't order online unless I had already spent some time sitting in that same model. When I was chair hunting, I sat in several chairs at Staples and Office Depot before I found "the one." I then compared their price to prices online. Once I figured in shipping costs (sometimes as much as $50), I ended up going back to the store and purchasing it there. I paid about $10 to have them put it together, so all I had to do was put in the back seat of my car and take it home. That's my suggestion, anyway.

Agree with poster - About trying the chair first

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with above poster. One size does not fit all. We're all built differently, all sit differently, etc.

My chair has a nice wide seatwith a dip in the middle, and a nice wide back, also with a dip in the center. It also has wide arms that retract away if they get in your way when doing certain functions. The seat is adjustable up or down, and the back is adjustable up or down.

You are correct that the more expensive not necessarily the better, but I don't believe a $40-dollar chair is a good idea. Even if it's comfortable, it may not have features for adjustment, or it may simply become uncomfy after a short period of time.

I forget the name of the company mine is, but I bought it 13 yrs ago, and I still love it. I did pay about $200 for it at the time, but it's lasted a long, long time and is still going strong.

try a used office furniture store - MTMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks to another poster on this board recently, I bought a Herman Miller Mirra chair, and I have no more back pain! I called around to the local used office supply stores until I found one that had them. When I was in the store, the guy talked me into a Steelcase Leap, which was a little cheaper than the Herman Miller, but the lumbar adjustment didn't go down far enough for me. Otherwise it was a great chair with an adjustable seat that you could move forward or back. So I took it back & bought the Herman Miller. The Herman Miller Aeron is also a good chair and comes in different sizes to fit your frame, but it's a little more expensive than the Mirra. Expect to pay anywhere from $250 to $400 used for any of these chairs, but well worth the investment for those of us sitting in our chairs all day.

Herman Miller Mirra - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Please find one and try it before you decide it is too expensive.

My entire organization uses these now. There are still some Steelcase and other brands that claim to be "ergonomic," but people who have them steal the Mirras.

The difference is that the Mirra never needs cushions (it is mesh), never needs back supports or anything else (it is always fine without them), and it moves with you. It is not a fixed-seat chair -- the seat pan slides with you as you move. It won't cut off the circulation to your legs, either.

Similar Messages:

What Type Of Chairs Do You All Use?
Dec 04, 2012

Hi All, I am pretty sure I have either carpal tunnel or cubital tunnel syndrome.   I went to a hand surgeon because of numbness in my hands and fingers.  I feel tinging throughout all of my fingers most of the time.  I did at nerve conduction study and need a more in depth one because of the abnormalities.  Anyway, sorry for the description, but I'm wondering if it could be related to my chair.  My office chair has arms and I notice I do rest my elbows on ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Isn't It Time For CCM Musical Chairs?
Mar 24, 2010

Maybe we could get one who would: Answer e-mails. Answer the phone. Grant/Deny PTO requests. Update us. Wouldn't that be loverrrrly? ...

Ergonomic Kneeling Chairs - Anyone Tried One?
Jun 05, 2012

Hello - My knees are a bit sensitive and I'm wondering if anyone out there who also has sensitive knees has ever tried one of these kneeling office chairs.  They're supposed to be quite good for the back and posture, though as I said, I'm a wee concerned about the knees. Anyone?  Thanks so much in advance. ...

Stability/balance Ball Chairs
Jan 06, 2012

Anyone use a stability/balance ball as a chair while working?   Would appreciate hearing any thoughts on whether you felt it helped you with posture, core muscles, balance, etc. ...

Most Comfortable Headphones
Oct 15, 2009

Which headphones do you like the best in terms of comfort and quality? Some of the ones that fit inside the ears, the earbuds, make my ears sore. My boss suggested the noise-canceling kind that fit over the ears, but they are very expensive and they also look like they were be very heavy to wear. Any recommendations would be great, thank you. ...

Comfortable Headphones
Oct 18, 2009

I've always used just cheap stereo headphones but I want to try some of the ones that are made specifically for transcription. The problem is the kind that fit inside my ears can hurt, the ones that are more rounded buds and have foam on them. What headphones do you recommend that are comfortable inside the ear? I tried some recently from a fellow MT and I think they were made by Lanier but I can't remember, but they seemed comfortable. Is Lanier the best also for sound quality? I loo ...

What Do You Do To Make Yourself Comfortable
Jul 30, 2010

I get soo uncomfortable sitting for at least 8 hours every day.  My right arm and hand just ache/sore constantly, and my fingers, especially on my right hand, are really getting painful.  I sit with my keyboard on my lap (on a pillow), sit with a pillow underneath and behind me.  My heel even hurts from using the foot pedal.  I'm wondering if a left hand keyboard would work for me, or an ergonomic.  I've used an ergonomic before (it broke) and didn't recal ...

Making Your Workstation Comfortable?
Nov 11, 2010

Hi ladies, I'm coming to realize that even though I've been searching and searching for another job, I'm going to be MT'ing for some time to come.  I'm rather uncomfortable while typing all day, from my hands, arms, bottom, ears from the headphones, my foot from hitting the pedal.  I have pillows under my foot and bottom and even my back and it doesn't help as much as I would like.  I'm using a regular Microsoft keyboard and mouse, neither real ...

Suggestions On The Best COMFORTABLE Headset For Transcription?
Aug 10, 2010

I'm looking for suggestions on the best COMFORTABLE headset for transcription?  It seems like I go through 2 pair a year.  I even bought more expensive ones last time thinking that would help.  Nope, the right ear went out.  Very frustrating.  Thanks in advance. ...

Looking For A Comfortable Wireless Keyboard To Type On
Jan 28, 2013

Any suggestions as to a comfortable wireless keyboard to use with my laptop? Currently using a logitech ergonomic keyboard but the keys seem a little sharp around the edges to me.  Thank you! ...

Does Anyone Feel Comfortable Posting What They Will Receive In UE?
Apr 06, 2013

I'm FT, been with MM for 15 years.  I'm a single mom of one teenager, my average income is ~around $1200/mo.  Does that make a difference?   I'm just trying to figure out if I got "the call", if the UE I (or any of us) receive is enough to pay bills with.  If it's close to what I earn I will be OK.  If it's $200/mo I will be in huge trouble.      ...

Earphones - Searching For Comfortable Headsets Or Earbuds
Feb 04, 2011

I am searching for comfortable headsets or earbuds. What have you experienced MTs found that works the best? I want to hear well, while being comfortable...:) ...

Trying On A New Company! The Fit Sounds Comfortable With Edoc. Any Other Edoc MTs Out There?
Jun 28, 2010

I am excited to be starting with a smaller company. Hoping I can be more productive.  WooHoo! ...

"Comfortable" Line Count
Feb 14, 2011

For those of you who work on production, how long did it take for you to be comfortable with the line count you're transcribing?    "Comfortable" may not be the appropriate word because the amount of money is never enough for the majority of us but enough to pay your bills and still some left over to treat yourself, vacation, save.  I'm still getting used to being paid on production and I don't mind it, but I still want to work on producing more to become comfortabl ...