A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Do you any MTs making $50,000 or more per year? - iluvrainydaze47

Posted: Nov 11, 2009

Does anyone know personally of any MT who makes $50,000 a year or more?  A college recruiter called me at home one night and asked what I did for a living and when I told her I did not make that kind of money she said "I was told most MTs make around $50,000 a year.  Only in my dreams.  LOL. 

re: $50 K - onceuponatime

[ In Reply To ..]
I USED to exceed that! No more... now it's half. That recruiter is blowing smoke like a recruiter is suppose to. It is so sad that we are no longer paid our worth.

I made over $50 last year, I might reach it this year, but lack of work is coming into play on that - lh

[ In Reply To ..]
s

I work 40 hours a week, no bonuses, actually I have no benefits whatsoever with my company, blah - lh

[ In Reply To ..]
s

Yes, but working 1 FT and 1 PT job + the FT - has OT + bonus for CMT.NM

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

Make 1/2 that, but also only work part-time! - NM

[ In Reply To ..]

When I worked at the Q I did, and I do now working - jd

[ In Reply To ..]
a FT job. Wouldn't be if I hadn't left 2-1/2 years ago however, I was losing almost $600 a month when the incentive plan changed. Make closer to 60 as I also work as an IC part-time.

$50 k - RT

[ In Reply To ..]
yes. I see SOOOOO many postings of people saying that this company doesn't pay well, no work and so on. I personally am able to make a good living with this company and have no complaints. Changes have come and will continue to come. I think we need to adapt and strive to not let the changes kick us in the teeth. I work FT day shifts.

50K? More facts please - oops

[ In Reply To ..]
I would love to know more about your primary account. ASR? All ASR? 50/50? Repetitive reports, same docs? Percentage of ESLs? Does your client allow blanks in the report? Are you able to use a lot of standards and/or expansions?

We are definitely not all on a level playing field. Just curious.

50K - takes more than one job

[ In Reply To ..]
to make 50K and/or a lot of hours on your a**, pounding away. those days are long gone from MQ and if they say they make that, they r working a lot more hours than most want to work. with the NJA status going on at MQ you have to work way out off your schedule to get enough to make a living and another job.

Yes ma'am. I have not made less than $50K in more than 21 yrs. sm - Multi-MTSO MT

[ In Reply To ..]
This year, I'm averaging $31.90 an hour between all 3 of my part-time positions and the mix of MT and ME work.

I haven't made less than $50K since before 1988. I have to work for it, it isn't given to me but yes, consistently it is MORE than possible.

Anyone who tells you differently does not know what he/she is talking about and believes all MTs are as limited as they are.

I work part-time for MQ now but even when I was working for them full-time I didn't make less than $50K for them but right at it.

When the changes really started occurring with the workpools, I decided to protect myself in every way so I went to part-time (24 hours) and then slowly integrated two other part-time positions. I am never without work now. Never.

Good luck.

re: yes ma'am - imwitchoo

[ In Reply To ..]
I also have consistently made a good living in this field. I am never without work, but also like you said, protected myself, but never rejected the changes that come as this industry evolves. I also do MT, primarily, but ME as well. I have no qualms with ASR work either. It's part of the job now.

This is a lucrative industry. I work hard when I work, but don't feel that I'm asked to do anything unreasonable (12 hours a day, 7 days a week...)

To yes ma'am, more facts please - oops

[ In Reply To ..]
I will keep asking until someone answers. Give us some info on the accounts you make this money on. How much ASR? How much ESL? How many reports have standards or are reports you can pull expansions into a majority of the time? What type reports, Ops where the reports are pretty much repetitive? All acute care, with several different types of reports? I don't feel I am limited and am insulted to have you say that. I, too, would like to make this much, but if I make a change from MQ I want to know how people are making this much money, so I am careful to get the same type of work.

If you have nothing to hide, then please be more specific. Not just that you are better than the rest of us, but how.

I am not sitting on my hands. Don't have soap operas on in the background. I am not eating bonbons while I type. I took the second shift to get more steady work, with the promise of a bonus which I never got, but have kept with it and am getting tired of not making any improvement.

Please, answer the above questions if you have any compassion for your fellow MT/ME's.

Thank you.

agree with you OOPS!! -- you forgot to mention - not having steady workflow

[ In Reply To ..]
No MT I know is making over$25k-$30K a year now that VR is the norm. Yep, all the $50,000 club MTs are good at keeping their secrets. I know I work hard everyday, but come against the same things daily, crap dictators, ESL and Standard American English doctors who could care less how they dictate, inconsistent workflow, no use of standards or normals EVER!!!, and retyping almost the entire report in VR. Yea, to all the $50,000 club MTs, just provide proof of your income or do not post. Not that I don't believe you, but obviously you're sailing in a different boat than most of us that post here.

consider if IC status (make more, large tax chunks taken out) or - employee (with benefits). N/M

[ In Reply To ..]
N/M

bennies - imwichoo

[ In Reply To ..]
Yeah, it wouldn't be fair to leave that out! I do NOT have benefits with MQ, got mine through hubby's company. That is something to factor in.

I usually come close, probably just under this year. - kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
However, I do have to bust my arse, and they are making it harder and harder to sustain that. I expect to make less and less each year starting now. I won't be able to keep it up...what with the NJA, the off-shoring, the BS.......

Close too, but work a lot of OT - hanging in there

[ In Reply To ..]
My best year was 2006 when MQ paid out the daily bonus- over $60K that year, but I have been averaging about $45-50K since then with a lot of OT and working incentives like crazy. Working harder to make less and now with mostly ASR it just gets harder and harder.

Will gross close to $60,000 this year - BusyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I work approximately 50-55 hours a week Thurs-Sun, but make the bulk of my money on the Sat and Sun that I give up every week. That way I have 3 days off during the week. It is definitely possible to make that kind of money, but you have to be willing to work when the work is there and be flexible.

I make 65K/year, 40K from MQ and 25K part time - L&L

[ In Reply To ..]

AND I HAVE THE BUTT TO PROVE IT !!!

15 years of doing this, and never. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Over 50K - fatcat

[ In Reply To ..]
I make over 50K, but not with MQ. I made over 50K with TL before MQ took over. Now I left MQ and went with a mid-sized firm, I am back to 50K+. MQ makes it impossible to make anything. It's not you; it's them.

Similar Messages:

EVERY MT Should Be Making $70K Per Year
Nov 22, 2011

That's right!  If you are working FT as an MT and are NOT making at least $70,000 per year, you are either: * Lazy/Not ambiious or determined enough.  Your skill set is low and you haven't beefed it up with extra classes, etc. because you are INDOLENT. * Stupid/Sloppy:  Your quality sucks, your work is rife with errors, you are not a "perfectionist." *  You are a loser with low self-esteem, otherwise you would be commanding and getting 0.12 per line for your ...

She Is Making $350,000/year/+bonuses
Oct 15, 2012

What a load of BS ...

Been Switched To VR, Last 3 Years Making 20K Less A Year! Fed Up!
Jan 18, 2011

I need to vent about this and am wondering if I am the only one out there.  After my initial 2 years of in-house experience, I started working for a company and was there for over 7 years and made 33K a year.  The last 3-4 years since making the transition to VR, my pay has gone down to 13-14K a year.  That's a 20K loss per year!!!  I am not a happy camper.  I haven't been in this field for 13 years for my pay to go DOWN!  And what makes me the most angry ...

How Would You Type: For The Past Year-year And A Half?
Sep 09, 2011

.. ...

Pt Has A "several Year" History Of A Slowly-growing Mass. Hyphen Several Year?
Jan 25, 2011

? ...

Year Old Versus Year-old
Aug 28, 2014

If no noun following such as female or male should this be hyphenated, i.e. if stated "A 10 year old has stomachache".... should it be "A 10-year-old has stomachache" ..... ...

Making Less And Less
Oct 17, 2009

First there was line count....then there was ASR.....now there is MME. Does anyone know how much less they are making doing MME?  I just started and I am not making any money. Who is doing the work on the accounts that we used to do? ...

Making Even Less
Oct 20, 2009

I have just been switched to another BoB because we lost several accounts in the BoB I was in....now I have to learn all new accounts....at 3 cpl I will end up owing MQ money!! ...

How Much Are You Making?
Feb 21, 2010

Hey everyone.  I am just curious as to what everyone makes these days (if you are being paid by the line) and how long should you stay at that rate before you ask for more/raise your price? I've been at 12 cents per line for the past 3.5 years and I don't know how much more I should ask for.  I don't want to ask for too much, yet I don't want to sell myself short.  I am just thankful to even have my job so I don't want to rub anyone the wro ...

To Me2 Making 40K
Jun 17, 2010

Just have to ask, how much ASR do you do? Are you able to fly through at high speed without going back to proof and still getting strong audit? Do you have several dictators with several formats or a handful with all the same format? Your credentials are impressive but there are only so many things you can do to make that kind of money anymore and it is painful for me to know you are able to make that much at the same company, doing the same kind of work. Also, how much time would you say you ...

Making More Than Me
Nov 29, 2010

Just found out through the grapevine that someone was hired at my company at a higher cpl that I was offered.  I have been there since June and was offered a low rate compared to most MTSO companies.  But it did get me off the midnight shift at a different company, which I would have stayed with had I been given the opportunity to change shifts.  She was offered 2 cpl more for straight and 1.75 cpl more for ASR.   I also have more years in the profession than she does, a ...

MAKING $$
Jan 15, 2011

Can I make over $35,000 with Medquist? ...

Anybody Making Over 30K On SR?
Sep 30, 2011

How in the heck are you supposed to make any money doing SR?  Is it possible?  I make good money as a transcriptionist and have avoided SR up to now.  Now my company is transitioning over and I'm contemplating running for the door. I don't see how it's possible to make any money when you get paid half the cpl that you would make for transcribing.  I generally transcribe as fast as the dictator talks (unless they're really crappy, of course).  You stil ...

Am I The Only One Making
Dec 11, 2012

Input is appreciated, thank you! ...

So, If You Are On 100% QA Does That Mean You Are Only Making 1 Cpl? Nm
Feb 26, 2013

xx ...

TO THOSE MAKING THE BUCKS
Nov 12, 2009

To those making 50+ K a year: I'm glad to know that in this industry it is still possible to make a decent living! I LOVE transcription!  I've been an at-home MT for about 5 years and see the potential, but seem to get easily distracted being at home and get restless and can't sit still.  What is it that you are doing to stay focused on your work?  Is it really about working weekends and second, third shifts?  Please share! I'm stuck at around 25K, when ...

This NP Is Making Me Crazy!!!
Nov 21, 2010

Honest to Pete, this woman has no clue about pronunciation.  A couple of reports ago she's reading a radiology report and says very clearly "primitive destruction" and then goes on to spell it "permeative."  Those are two very different words and to me have very different pronunciations. Now she's on a patient who has had chemoradiation therapy, "altima" and zometa.  Umm, you mean Alimta?  It's going to be a long afternoon.  ...

Making Pleurals
Jan 13, 2011

This dictator is saying "glute-i" to make gluteus a pleural.  I can't document a correct spelling for the pleural form of gluteus.  Thoughts?   ...

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

I Need Help With Making VR Work For Me...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm really apparently missing the magic that is needing to make VR work for me.  Please if there is someone out there that can provide me with some insight on this, I would be forever grateful.  I am struggling with getting to even 150 lph which is overwhelmingly disheartening given that prior to recently having to become a traditional employee again due to a massive life change after 20+ years as a small business owner of a small MTSO I was QAing and/or typing upwards of 250 ...

I Know How Some People Are Probably Making
May 10, 2011

ASR. They aren't following client profiles and not even reading the output based on what I saw on a report from today that I looked at! No wonder we have been told the client has been complaining about quality. ...

Anyone Besides Me Who Is New At Nuance And Not Making It
Jul 26, 2011

I really would like to hear from anyone who has been there for a matter of days to 2 months.  I am going on my 3rd week now and I am NOT making any headway at all, though the money is better than my other job.  Also, do we get paid for headers and footers.  I feel like I am typing and typing and get a lousy 44 lines sometimes... Taking a short break from Nuance, then must get back.  For example today, I worked for 90 minutes at my other job and did 567 lines (editing). Then ...

For Those Making Little Money (or Who've Had A Big Cut In Pay) - Sm
Feb 23, 2012

Day after day, I read comments here about people making less than minimum wage... or women who used to make a solid middle class living at this who now cry when they look at their W2... or who made in 2011 what they made in 1993. I'm curious to know why you continue to put up with this.  What is holding you back from seeking a better situation?  What are your circumstances?  Do you have low self-esteem?  Trapped in Appalachia with 2 hours to the closest hospital?  ...

Anybody Making Bets?
Oct 15, 2012

Cut in pay or no? ...

Making Lemonade....
Mar 07, 2013

So instead of sitting here wallowing when I run out of work, I've decided to turn these lemons into lemonade. Sort of a bracing reality check came to me when I thought to myself how a man would never put up with this crap.  And by "this crap" I mean the NJA, among other things.  Do you ever think about that?  A man in this position would not be in this position long.  That's just the way they're built.  They're not going to sit around the house, cryin ...

QA And QC Making Up Errors
Mar 23, 2013

I have been working for Nuance for 5-1/2 years now.  I, of course, consider myself a very conscientious and diligent MLS.  Lately, I have noticed "mistakes" that I really DO NOT BELIEVE I made.  Here is an example "800 calorie ADA diet".  Supposedly I did not blank out the 800.  I believe I would have, as 800 calorie diet would have set up an alarm in my head, for sure.  I want to know if others are having the same problem.  Also there is a spot where supposedl ...

MTs Making Big Money
May 07, 2013

Just saw some gab on a mt group on facebook (not naming which), stating that people are out there making 800 a week on straight typing. Where are these jobs...I want one. Now I am not saying they do not exist but seriously I thought this was rare. Is it me or... should I be looking harder. No flaming please. This discussion had me thinking that I missed the boat somewhere or someone is telling tales... ...

Is MM Going To Fire Me For Making Below
May 19, 2013

I was working on an account for the last 5 years and was averaging in ASR lines at 329-340 an hour with 100% audits. Then the work got slow and I was moved to another manager and another new account.  Now my average ASR lines are around 170-180 an hour with 100% audits.  At 175 ASR line rate an hour and being part-time, that is 175 x 0.4 a line which comes to 7.00 an hour.  For part-timers, I was told you have to be at 120 lines an hour and I am still a Tier 1.   My s ...

Making No Money
Aug 31, 2013

I work for a company that I make NO money.  YES, I am seeking other employment, I'm not just sitting there whining about it, but rather just keeping some income while I look for more income.  I have barely had work this week and even when I do have work, the VR system is so bad that I really don't clear minimum wage.  So, today, apparently they are behind and I'm getting emails every hour or so that say "You ladies need to jump in and help, make this money while you can"  I me ...

This Doc Is Making Me Nuts
Dec 16, 2013

She says things  like "He currently has a G-tube of which medications will be administered."   Or "...secondary to UTI, Foley catheter associated, of which this has now been removed.  " Or "this is a chronic problem of which he had a G-tube inserted in October"    She's making me nuts tonight.  These examples are all from one report, too.  I guess if that's the worst thing I have to deal with tonight, tonight is still pretty good, but I just wan ...