A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MS-Office Home & Student vs. Professional - sm

Posted: Apr 28, 2014

Do most of us have Microsoft Office Home & Student version or the Professional version?  The only difference I can see is that Professional has 2 other features, Publisher and Access, which most of us don't need in our MT work.  I can buy 2010 Home and Student for about 1/3 the cost of 2010 Professional.  Thoughts?

I was recently told that - Beach Glass Lover

[ In Reply To ..]
... The Home & Student version lacks some necessary information and that you need something above that. I bought mine from eBay last week for $104. I found a version of Office 2007 Professional on eBay this week for $99 dollars. Be wary of sellers of software, but this one has a pretty decent rating.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MICROSOFT-OFFICE-PROFESSIONAL-2007-FULL-VERSION-/231217609491#shpCntId

link to previous discussion - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
Student versus professional edition

Thank you, IC Maniac and Beach Glass Lover - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I went ahead and ordered the Pro version, based on your evaluations. I'm sure you're right. Better to spend a little more and get the right product.

Similar Messages:

MS Office Home And Student
Apr 03, 2014

I have heard different interpretations of the "no commercial use" rule by Microsoft about the Home and Student version of Office.  Some say you cannot use this version to work from home as an MT, and some say it only means that Home and Student version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles someone would need for commercial use.   I just called Microsoft, and the rep told me that it IS okay to use it in that way, but I don't feel confident he really knew what I was ask ...

IMedX Platforms With Office Home And Student
May 14, 2014

Hoping someone out there can answer my question.  I'm new with iMedX.  I have Office Professional 2013 on my computer.  According to their techs, their platforms aren't compatible with 2013.  It has to be 2010 or lower.  (Office 2013 has been compatible with other companies, but not with iMedX.)  Someone has offered to let me use her Office 2007 Home and Student (not Pro), but we're not sure it will work with the iMedX platforms, which are IKM and Sc ...

Shortcut Keys Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student
Sep 25, 2014

Recently got new computer with windows 7 (old one had Vista) and put my word office 2007 home and student back on ...my shortcut keys (like F7) for spellcheck are not working...and I want to get the spellcheck visible on the task bar...any ideas how I can fix? Thanks!! ...

Worth The $$ To Upgrade To Office Professional??
Jun 14, 2011

Sent my resume to StenTel. They inform me that they require MS Office Professional (full version) to work with their platforms.  Is it worth the hundreds of dollars to upgrade?? ...

Microsoft Office 2010 Professional
Jan 27, 2015

I recently graduated as a medical transcriptionist.  I am currently researching a few companies and am close to applying.  I keep reading that most require Microsoft Office Professional 2007 or 2010.  I have found prices from $150 to $699 which has left me concerned about what I should buy.  Can anyone clear up my confusion?  Thanks! Joyce ...

EditScript And Office 2003 Student
Jun 20, 2012

Does anyone know if Microsoft Office 2003 student/teacher and EditScript 10.2 work together? I thought I saw somewhere it was not supported. I also have Vista 64 bit. Thanks. ...

Need Help With Macros/auto Text In Microsoft Office 7 Professional Version
Oct 08, 2010

I will start working from home as an MT next week, however have discovered that the software (Microsoft Office 7, Professional Version) required by the company is quite different from 2003 version.  I have used autotext for years when transcribing by simply highlighting and saving to keyboard strokes easy to remember, but the 07 version has several other names for autotext like building blocks, etc, and will only allow 255 characters.  I have tried setting up a macro, as well with diff ...

Microsoft Word Home And Student
Jan 14, 2015

Can you use the Microsoft Word Home and Student version with the Nuance platforms? ...

Anybody Use Word 2007 Or 2010 Home & Student With EScription V10?
Aug 14, 2013

Thanks ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

Home Office Tax Deductions
Sep 26, 2012

Tax deduction when you work at home is definitely worth it. My friend is an accountant and anything done to improve your house is deductible (including crazy things like carpet cleaning, window cleaning). I even deducted new appliances and furniture and carpets ( in other rooms). ...

Home Office Deductions For Employees
Nov 18, 2009

I did some research and have found that at least according to Federal Government guidelines, you can deduct home office expenses if you are an employee.  The one big stipulation is that you are working at home because it is convenient for the employer.  In other words, they cannot provide you with an office.  Of course, in our case that is a no-brainer.  The rest was pretty straight forward and much the same and I am doing now for tax deductions as an SE.  My accountant ...

Home Office Deduction Questions
Jan 27, 2015

Using H&H this year, not using the new simplified deduction.  I understand the square footage, utilitities, all that and have done that part.  My office is a dedicated room, no problem there.  What I don't understand is where to deduct my supplies, internet, etc.  I want to count ink cartridges, paper, internet, Shorthand,  stuff like that but not sure where to do that.  I already paid for this tax software (it was a deal through Amazon) but maybe I should ...

Ideal Office Furniture For Transcribing At Home
Mar 09, 2010

I am trying to find a desk and chair under $100 ideally that is comfortable and doesn't cause of a lot of strain on my wrists.  Did any of you who work at home purchased your furniture at a specific store?  I would appreciate any suggestions. ...

Home Office Tax Deduction For Employee Status?
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone claimed the home office credit while being an employee rather than IC? Does anyone know the "rules" with that? Seems that it could still be claimed since we HAVE to work from home. This is my first year as an employee, so I am curious. Thanks for any input. ...

How Many Of You File Home Office Deduction On Your Taxes?
Jan 28, 2011

I have not filed for the home office deduction in the past, even though I do have a fair size room dedicated solely to my office so, therefore, I would qualify. This year I had to buy a new computer for my job. My husband works out of state, so we have a lot of deductions for him and I am wondering if I should file for the home office deduction or not? I know it is quite often flagged for audit by the IRS, but I feel I am entitled to it. I just do not want to risk the higher chance of being au ...

On Taxes, Does Anyone Claim The Home Office Deduction?
Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home).  ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

How Professional Doc
Jun 11, 2013

I can still her you and really is unprofessional. ...

Professional Transcrptions Of NW FL
Mar 29, 2010

Compensation is .05 cents for every 43 black characters.  Who would want this job?  Maybe they will get a lot of applicants from India.    Saw this advertised on an MT related job board.  ...

PROFESSIONAL LICENSE
Dec 03, 2010

We should really push for professional licensure for this job like RNs, Rad Techs, RTs, RD, and CNAs.    Hospital and clinics require these people to be licensed… then why not us?  May this will stop shipping work abroad.  ...

Student/ New Mt
Nov 28, 2009

I am currently a student and will be finished with my studies in a few weeks.  I really need some information on the software I will need in addition to MS Word/ Works and what pedal to get.  I also need direction on getting working as soon as possible.  Part time from home is what I really need as I am currently working a 40+ an hour job until I can go to full time transcribing.  Any information that would get me started in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. ...

EX VLC Student
Dec 29, 2009

Has anyone heard about what VLC has done to its students??? We have all been scammed!! Are there any of us out there? I saw a posting that said we could talk and post here.   Thanks ...

Student MTs???
Oct 01, 2010

Should student MTs be asking for word help in this forum? Is that a big no-no? Trying not to step on toes... ...

Professional Transcription Services
Mar 31, 2010

Any info on this company?  TIA! ...

Professional Dictation Associates?
Apr 07, 2010

Hello, Does anyone have any updated info on this company?  I couldn't find much in the archives, aside from one post by someone else looking for info.  Anything will be appreciated.    Tx!  :) ...

Lack Of Professional Etiquette
Mar 22, 2011

Has professional business etiquette really slipped so far?  I can't tell you how many times I have applied to a posting for a job on here or have emailed my supervisor/authority figure at work and never even received an email back acknowledging my email was received. How hard is it to say....Thank you for your concerns. I know that we need to discuss them, and I will get in contact with you shortly to do so.  OR  Thanks for applying to the position or thanks for sending your ...

No So Professional Regarding Shower Gifts
Feb 28, 2012

I just do not think its professional to send out emails regarding gifts for a baby.  If so many people asked why not just send them an email via their own personal email or a phone call.  Why do we all have to know where we can register for gifts.  They are not so employee friendly with us in other ways.  Think about it.  ...