A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How many of you file home office deduction on your taxes? - Justwondering

Posted: Jan 28, 2011

I have not filed for the home office deduction in the past, even though I do have a fair size room dedicated solely to my office so, therefore, I would qualify. This year I had to buy a new computer for my job. My husband works out of state, so we have a lot of deductions for him and I am wondering if I should file for the home office deduction or not? I know it is quite often flagged for audit by the IRS, but I feel I am entitled to it. I just do not want to risk the higher chance of being audited. Wondering how many of you do file for it and don't have any problems with the IRS.

YES!!! - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
and I use Turbo Tax. They walk you through step by step. When you claim a home office, you can also claim a percentage of your electric, heating costs, etc., etc., based on the size of the space it takes to keep it up and running.... not to mention anything you need to furnish your home office (desk, chair, lamp, etc.) and any of your computer equipment and reference materials, internet, phone, etc. If you are making 100% of your income out of your home office as an MT, it is definitely worth it. If you missed past years, you can go and amend your previous taxes too. I am a homeowner... so I don't know how this applies for those who rent. No... I've never been audited but I do buy the audit protection just in case. Just for the heck of it, use TT or other similar on-line software program and compare what you would get back with and without claiming your office. With TT, you don't have to pay until you submit it. Good luck : )

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the encouragement! I'm going to do it!

I know raising a possible red flag - no1joe

[ In Reply To ..]
can be kinda scary (the way my life has been going lately... I kinda expect the IRS to be on my tail as a cherry on the cake :/), but it's so worth it. It might also be worthwhile, if you haven't claimed it in past years, to actually sit down with a tax expert to go back and ammend your claim(s) for your office for past years. I don't push my luck though... I know people who have claimed getting the office painted, the adjacent bathroom, and other stuff like that (you can't claim a new set of china just because you might bring a dish in your office to have a snack). I also don't claim anything that I don't have a recepit for... just in case. Anyway, I hope you get a little bit extra come April (and hope you treat yourself to something nice).

I claimed remodel of office at my tax guy's ok. If problems, - IRS talks to tax guy.

[ In Reply To ..]
x
I did also as I feel this is a legitimate write off, but - also remember if you are
[ In Reply To ..]
audited, you will definitely be involved in the process. Your tax professional will probably help you out with speaking to them (btw, you can get someone to do this even if they didn't file your taxes), but if money is owed back, it is not the tax professionals money to pay back.

I have seen some really crazy write offs that I will not do; though, a tax professional has advised a friend to do.

Most assuredly! - SuzyQ

[ In Reply To ..]
My hubs works out of state, too. I have always claimed home office space, also utilities, equipment, etc. I recommend going to a tax preparer to make sure it's correct, tho.

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you again! I can't wait!

When kids younger, I claimed paying them for office chores, - % of utilities, office TV, Fridge, microwave. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
All my claims I first ran by my tax guy and only made claims he okay. Like, he said no go on claiming multilevel deck just cause I go out there with notebook to work, lol. Btw, tax guy fee is a write off.

there are certain rules if claiming and then selling home - ICManiac

[ In Reply To ..]
I am uncertain of the details, but I remember an MT who claimed her office space on taxes. Later when she sold her home, an issue came up about some of that being charged back to her, or maybe it had an effect on gross profits after the sell..?? What I do remember was that the rule applied if you claimed the deduction and sold the home within 2 years of the deduction, so point being don't claim it for the 2 years before selling the home. The rule could have changed by now, so do check with a tax expert.

I rent a 2 bedroom apt with a den. I claim the full square feet of the room, plus any software purchases and books, a portion of the internet (since I use it for personal reasons also), my telephone, part of the electricity, and I bought a new computer in 2010 so that will be a deduction as well.

That's only if (sm) - Been there done that

[ In Reply To ..]
That's only if you depreciate part of the value of the space you use for office. My accountant 15 years ago told me not to do that because there is some sort of "pay back" to the IRS if you sell your home. I've been claming home office deduction for 15 years now with no problem.

Yes, have been doing that for 10+ years. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Also percentage of utilities, office supplies, etc.

My CPA told me it's not nearly the red flag - it used to be

[ In Reply To ..]
so I've been claiming it for, let's see, 6 or 7 years now, including the part about writing off a percentage of the utilities. And I am a renter.

The accountant said that in this day and age, so many more people are telecommuting, it has become a much more commonplace thing, and thus does not raise the red flags like it used to. Of course, if you're claiming an outrageous write-off, it might catch their eye....

I always try, but the standard deduction is always higher - me

[ In Reply To ..]
than my office deduction. Oh well.

Same here. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

You can file the home office deduction until - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
2 years before you plan on selling your home, 'cause then things are looked as as "income."

So, if you don't plan on selling your home, deduct away!!!

Similar Messages:

On Taxes, Does Anyone Claim The Home Office Deduction?
Mar 15, 2012

I'm doing my taxes on TurboTax and it says you can claim the home office deduction if you work at home for the "benefit of your employer, ie, if no office or desk is provided."  Does this apply to us ?  I'm worried about taking the deduction and getting audited or something.  I've never taken it in the past.  Wondering if it's even worth it for me if we indeed can take it (I don't own a home).  ...

Home Office Deduction Questions
Jan 27, 2015

Using H&H this year, not using the new simplified deduction.  I understand the square footage, utilitities, all that and have done that part.  My office is a dedicated room, no problem there.  What I don't understand is where to deduct my supplies, internet, etc.  I want to count ink cartridges, paper, internet, Shorthand,  stuff like that but not sure where to do that.  I already paid for this tax software (it was a deal through Amazon) but maybe I should ...

Home Office Tax Deduction For Employee Status?
Mar 29, 2010

Has anyone claimed the home office credit while being an employee rather than IC? Does anyone know the "rules" with that? Seems that it could still be claimed since we HAVE to work from home. This is my first year as an employee, so I am curious. Thanks for any input. ...

IC Tax - Need To File Taxes On A Quarterly Basis?
Feb 21, 2011

I recently took my first job as an IC.  My husband says I'll probably need to file taxes on a quarterly basis.  A coworker who's also an IC says she's going to file at the end of the year.  I will be talking to my accountant about this but thought some of you could tell me how you handle this as ICs before I go see her.  Thanks! ...

HITECH - Home Office
Feb 11, 2010

I'm wondering where other people have their home offices/work computers?  My desk is currently in a corner of the living room but it's not in the main living area, so to speak. It's kind of off in this nook area off the living room. My monitors face outside and not into the living room.  I'm wondering if I'm going to have to figure out someplace else to put everything to be in compliance? I do have my computers password locked so no one else can ...

Home Office Tax Deductions
Sep 26, 2012

Tax deduction when you work at home is definitely worth it. My friend is an accountant and anything done to improve your house is deductible (including crazy things like carpet cleaning, window cleaning). I even deducted new appliances and furniture and carpets ( in other rooms). ...

MS Office Home And Student
Apr 03, 2014

I have heard different interpretations of the "no commercial use" rule by Microsoft about the Home and Student version of Office.  Some say you cannot use this version to work from home as an MT, and some say it only means that Home and Student version just doesn't have all the bells and whistles someone would need for commercial use.   I just called Microsoft, and the rep told me that it IS okay to use it in that way, but I don't feel confident he really knew what I was ask ...

Home Office Deductions For Employees
Nov 18, 2009

I did some research and have found that at least according to Federal Government guidelines, you can deduct home office expenses if you are an employee.  The one big stipulation is that you are working at home because it is convenient for the employer.  In other words, they cannot provide you with an office.  Of course, in our case that is a no-brainer.  The rest was pretty straight forward and much the same and I am doing now for tax deductions as an SE.  My accountant ...

MS-Office Home & Student Vs. Professional
Apr 28, 2014

Do most of us have Microsoft Office Home & Student version or the Professional version?  The only difference I can see is that Professional has 2 other features, Publisher and Access, which most of us don't need in our MT work.  I can buy 2010 Home and Student for about 1/3 the cost of 2010 Professional.  Thoughts? ...

Ideal Office Furniture For Transcribing At Home
Mar 09, 2010

I am trying to find a desk and chair under $100 ideally that is comfortable and doesn't cause of a lot of strain on my wrists.  Did any of you who work at home purchased your furniture at a specific store?  I would appreciate any suggestions. ...

Home Office Work - Part Time Only
Mar 18, 2013

Just by chance, does anyone know of an office job or other work from home, part time only? I am an MT myself but know of someone needing just an office job from home, she is not an MT. Any ideas would be appreciated. ...

IMedX Platforms With Office Home And Student
May 14, 2014

Hoping someone out there can answer my question.  I'm new with iMedX.  I have Office Professional 2013 on my computer.  According to their techs, their platforms aren't compatible with 2013.  It has to be 2010 or lower.  (Office 2013 has been compatible with other companies, but not with iMedX.)  Someone has offered to let me use her Office 2007 Home and Student (not Pro), but we're not sure it will work with the iMedX platforms, which are IKM and Sc ...

Shortcut Keys Microsoft Office 2007 Home And Student
Sep 25, 2014

Recently got new computer with windows 7 (old one had Vista) and put my word office 2007 home and student back on ...my shortcut keys (like F7) for spellcheck are not working...and I want to get the spellcheck visible on the task bar...any ideas how I can fix? Thanks!! ...

MT Subcontractor - Have To Pay Self-employment Taxes In Addition To Federal Income Taxes?
Jun 18, 2011

As a subcontractor performing medical transcription, do I have to pay self-employment taxes in addition to Federal Income Taxes? ...

Anyone Ever Pay Monthly Taxes For Taxes Owed
May 12, 2014

I owed a bit of money for last years taxes, which I do not have so am making monthly payments.  I sent in the form to request to pay monthly, but have not heard anything back.  Has anyone done this and is this unusual (that I have not heard back anything)?  I was reading all these websites and they were saying just keep mailing in what you can each month until it's paid off and then you might owe penalties, which I understand.  It stinks, but right now I have more bills ...

Nothing But Office Notes And Office Letters With No ADT Tonight And Last Night. A Recipe For Perfor
Mar 08, 2014

Numerous cc's not in the database which have to be added, address and all. Short reports, of course, that take 3x longer than the dictation time. Just shoot me now. I can't wait until I get a new job! Came close today - job lead was 1/2 day too late. :-( Hopefully the other person won't work out :-} ...

Need To Convert From Office 2013 To Office 2010
Apr 26, 2014

I'm starting with a new company next week.  My Windows 7 PC has Office 2013 Professional.  The new company's platform is only compatible with 2010 or earlier.  I don't have the money to spend on 2010, so I'll either have to decline the offer or try to find a way to install 2010 cheaply.  I thought I might be able to download a version for free, since it's not the newest version, but it doesn't look like I can do that.  Any ideas? ...

Anyone Know How To Convert Wma File To DSS Voice File??
Oct 13, 2010

Does anyone know how to convert wma file to DSS file?  I am using Express Scribe but, for some unknown reason, the sound quality is very poor.  I thought if I could convert this to DSS it would sound better on my computer. Any ideas?  Also, anyone know what else I could use besides Express Scribe (free) to play these files?  THANK YOU SO MUCH.   G ...

QA Deduction
Dec 06, 2010

Supervisor insistent upon sending blanks to QA.  Are we still cut in pay if we send too many reports to QA?  ...

Deduction Points!??
Oct 26, 2009

Got an e-mail this morning that apparently a DOCTOR is entering the wrong access code and " If this information is dictated and not corrected on the ADT screen, it is a 3.0 point deduction, which often times will cause a failed audit score with this error alone."  So, what I get from this memo is that now we are suppose to know what their access codes are??  AND if I don't my report gets audited?  Do you other transcriptionists know what each of the physician access cod ...

Deduction On Paycheck?
Oct 27, 2009

Did anyone else notice a $100 deduction on their paycheck this time?  What is this for?  The only thing I can figure, is its for the "free" Benchmark "gift".  I called another friend of mine and she had it on hers, also.  If anyone knows what this is all about, please let me know!! ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

Anyone Know When They Stop Taking Insurance Deduction?
Jun 01, 2011

I dropped the insurance, but they are still taking my portion out of this check for 6/3.  I am assuming we pay in arrears then, so I should still have the insurance deducted on the next check as well?  I was really hoping that for that extra money this time! Thanks. ...

Self-employed Health Insurance Deduction
Mar 02, 2014

My husband's employer offers health insurance benefits to spouses but doesn't pay any part of it.  I  was wondering if any of you ICs in the same situation still claim the self-employment health insurance deduction?  There doesn't seem to be a set definition of subsidized for this purpose.  Some claim that the spouse still gets a negotiated reduced rate to pay and the premiums are pre-tax, so it is subsidized.  Unfortunately, it would still cost over ...

IC/Taxes
Jan 03, 2010

I worked as an independent contractor for the first 5-1/2 months of 2009, but when reading the IRS definition of independent contractor, I realize that description did not fit my position.  Will I still need to pay self-employment tax? ...

IC Taxes And HELP
May 19, 2010

Hi,  Just accepted an IC position from a private individual.  I now have to deal with estimated taxes,, been a long time so I have questions.  Pretty basic, been reading,, I will not recieve a check prior to May 31, so I will be doing ET for the first time September 15, 2010.  How do I calculate how much to send?  I have heard that IC should have a separate checking account and make the deposit in there of the IC check and "pay" myself from there? Any thoughts, advice, s ...

Do Taxes Yourself?
Jan 26, 2011

I would like input on whether you do your taxes yourself or take them to a professional?  I had a local accounting firm do mine for a few years and now they are just H&R Block and the rate I pay keeps going up.  I have looked at a few do your taxes online yourself and H&R seems to be reasonable online (half of what the place charges).  Who does their taxes themselves and what is your experience with it?  Thanks for any help or advice you can give.  ...

Taxes!!!
Jun 14, 2011

I am an IC and am being choked by self-employment taxes.  It seems like I work to pay the taxes.  Anyone have any tax advice?  Does anyone else feel this way? ...

IC Taxes
Jun 13, 2012

I have been an employee since the start of my career and never had to worry about taxes.  For some time I have been entertaining the thought of taking an IC position on the side, but then I was told that as a self-employed person I would be carrying 35% tax liability.  That scared me out of my wits.  I am sure this does not apply literally, but I want to know how things would pan out for an IC who earns $45,000 in a calendar year.  How would you break things up as expenses in ...

W2 For Taxes
Jan 22, 2015

For those of us lucky enough to be away from this horrible company does anyone know when we can expect to get our W2 forms? ...