A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

See link inside. What an employer can/cannot - sm

Posted: Dec 04, 2014

when it comes to docking your pay, and docking our pay is now the law of the Nuance landscape, sending reports to QA, etc.  I have seen nothing or heard anything good, including during the conference call. 

Did you agree to this new and exciting plan~~~in writing?  The link below, as long as the title may be, is from U. S. News and World Report. 

Wonder if Nuance had their lawyers look at what they are doing? 

my 2 cents - short message

[ In Reply To ..]
They won't call it docking .. they will call it not rewarding with incentives for good performance ...

It was clearly stated that if we don't meet the less than 10% QA and the QA score (? 90%), you will get 7 cents a line on my call.

So, my understanding at this point in time is that basically we all are paid 7 cents a line and we "earn" more by quality and production, shift diff.

I am sure several legal teams have been involved ... and the call leader(s) were schooled very carefully in how to word things to us.

Just my 2 cents.

Your employer cannot ask, require, or even allow you to work off the clock - FIESA is all of these.

[ In Reply To ..]
x

That point we could definitely pursue ! - keep us posted ..no mess

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Off the clock - Agreed!

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm still an hourly employee for now, but this is something I should have done years ago and something you should all consider doing IMMEDIATELY:

Email your TSM (or Human Resources) and ask what code/reason you're to use in Webclock for Fiesa and checking or writing or responding to work emails, etc. -- everything that is not DIRECTLY production related -- since you can't be expected to do it on your own time because that's ILLEGAL.

Well, the way to fight lawyers is with more lawyers, - who can poke holes in their case.

[ In Reply To ..]

a few things in there nuance practices... - skm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are a few things in that article that Nuance does and apparently are not supposed to. The FIESA is a huge one, especially now with having to continuously verify and refute anything we can, as this will now impact our pay.

We were told in our call that they can only guarantee us minimum wage by our state. We were also told that we would not know what our QA and QC %'s into the matter until we are approving that time card.

Also, as far as the OT pay on the article...on the team I am on when they send out overtime requests they specifically state that if you are in MUP then you are not allowed to participate in OT work. IDK I just know that I do not see anything good at all coming out of this. Every time management gets excited about changing our pay, my pay drops.

If you check your lines on the MLS website, - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
it shows you percentage sent to QC/QA.

I'm the OP to this thread. What I want to make - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
clear is that I understand we are at "at will" employment with this scumbag of a company. That means, as employer, they can cut our pay, lay us off, even terminate us without notice, or we can terminate our relationship with them. However, (forgive me if I did not use a semicolon joining the 2 sentences), it appears to be illegal for a company to lower your pay, dock your pay, for mistakes. As the article states, it is a cost of their doing business. I don't know one MT who ever wants to leave a blank, ever. I was trained never to guess, leave a blank. That is good not only for patient safety but the company as well, so their assess don't get sued. In actuality, Nuance's new and exciting compensation plan is more than penal. They want less and less reports sent to QA or otherwise we get lower pay, but it appears that patient safety is really not their main concern. It is the bottom line, theirs, but in actuality it is your bottom line that is now in the red. Let's reason here. You send QA a report with a blank. The doc has dictated a drug that cannot be deciphered because of his/her mispronunciation or located even with a thorough search, and patient history does not give enough info for you to make a decision (happens every day). You, the MT, will have your QA score lowered for the blank you send. It counts against us. We don't get rewarded because we flagged the report. We get penalized. When an MT is transcribing across a number of accounts, many different account specs, what I just described can happen to the point that within one given shift, you could see your 10% of reports sent to QA rack up quite remarkably.

I don't know about you, but I would rather err on the side of real patient safety and not Nuance's convoluted way of holding a hammer over our heads. Nuance has no concern about patient safety. If they did, we, the MTs, would be held in better esteem, paid for our knowledge and expertise, and rewarded for flagging a report that could jeopardize patient safety.

Nuance talks out of both sides of their mouth.

amen sister, im e-mailing HR and higher ups - confused

[ In Reply To ..]
with these concerns. What you said is so true. Also, the fact that some accounts allow 1 blank, some allow 3, etc. It is not fair to anyone. I will put that link in there as well.

But if they're doing something illegal (which they - likely are), we can still sue them.

[ In Reply To ..]
X

Similar Messages:

ALERT!!!! See Inside
May 20, 2010

Someone asked that I start a new thread on this subject so it does not get buried regarding a job posting I received (and others also).  Below is the link to my original post if it does get buried.  If anyone wants to know the company....and I will post it here if that is allowed...you can contact me by email.  Otherwise, perhaps the monitor will advise whether I can post the company name.  I do not have a good feeling about this outfit.  I have not posted all the conten ...

Anybody Ever Try This..(read Inside)
Sep 24, 2012

My job is extremely stressful these days b/c of constant threatening e mails to the whole team by our manager. I really don't want to look at e mails anymore.  They are making me feel really bad about the job.  But the work itself is good and the pay is minimum wage (of course).  So I can't quit.  I am thinking about not looking at e mails.  Has anyone been able to continue working without getting in trouble by not reading e mails. What is the longest you hav ...

Inside States...
Apr 24, 2014

Inscribe posted on job seeker's site, the new state laws do not allow them to hire from California.  What is that all about?  Geez.. ...

Need Inside Info
Jun 25, 2015

would anyone care to share experience with Saince?  thank you, SMC ...

S/l Gerota's Fat...see Inside For More Detail
Dec 18, 2009

This is on an enhanced CT of the chest...   There is also interval development of a focal area of nodularity measuring 1.08 cm in diameter within the (gerotas jerotus, gerotous, jerotus) fat on the left in the vicinity of the previous biopsy which could represent inflammatory changes. ...

Please See Inside Message, S/l Auger
Mar 08, 2010

During this procedure, the ovary was nicked and chocolate s/l auger _____ fluid was released.  This was suctioned.  Careful tedious dissection was done until the ovary was completely released.  Even though the ovary did drain a small amount of chocolate s/l auger ____  endometrioma fluid into the pelvis, the majority of the ovary was still filled.  Then using the 12 mm port, ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me What The Difference Is, Please See Inside Message
May 15, 2010

What would be the difference in taking a Medical Coding Program such as Andrews or AHIMA offers, versus taking THIS BELOW that Herzing offers.  I see Herzing says Insurance coding. So career wise, what is really the difference between being a Coder and an insurance coder?  Is there any difference in the job, the pay, etc?   I have a Pell grant and you see, Andrews and AHIMA do not accept it. from Herzing Online University Medical Billing and Insurance Coding - Overview Med ...

Pay Cuts. See Inside Message
Jul 11, 2011

I think it is time for some complaints to state and federal labor boards.  It is ILLEGAL  for the Q to cut us to below the Federal minumum wage.  ...

Word Help Please, Sentence Inside
May 31, 2012

The patient still has the s/l wedin soft tissue mass in the subcutaneous tissue at the distal aspect of his left total hip incision.  ...

Check This Out! How Accurate! (inside)
May 19, 2014

ORTHO HELP - Let's Try Again With The Full Sentence - See Inside!
Nov 23, 2009

"I have discussed with the family and I have anticipated approximately a 4 to 5 cm difference of the possibility that pan-genu epiphysiodesis at the appropriate time for ultimate equalization." ...

It Is Beautiful Outside And I Am Stuck Inside W/NJA, Just Waiting
Apr 13, 2010

NM ...

See Inside For Comments On This Very Odd Situation For Transcribing
Jun 09, 2011

Did anyone ever hear of a place where you do ASR or VR and having to cut and paste because they want specific macros.  Never did this before.  Any comments.  They pay very low for this work to begin with, very low. ...

Whoever Thought VR Up Needs To Be Slapped! VR Screw Up Inside...
Jan 30, 2013

This is what VR spit out.  "The patient appears obese but appears healthy and talks rectally."  ...

How To Type A Test Question Inside A Sentance. Prostate Cancer Pt.
Jan 20, 2011

He scores 10 out of 25 points on the SHIM components of the International Index of Erectile Function, but all 10 points are for "when you attempted sexual intercourse, how often was it satisfactory to you," he gave himself 5 points there.  Otherwise, he is not able to have sexual activity. ...

What Can An Old Employer Say About You?
Aug 27, 2010

What kinds of things can an old employer say about you when contacted by a company you're trying to get hired by? ...

Ex-Employer Trying To Scare Me?
May 04, 2010

My original post is further down on this page.  I was hired in by a company that told me I was hired contingent upon my computer passing their test.  It passed the test and I was offered employment.  Their techs downloaded their software on my computer and then for over a week, they worked on my computer, and then said my system was not compliant with their softwared.  I asked for new account with different platform, asked for them to restore my computer to its orginal state, ...

If Your Employer Doesn't Pay You.....
May 05, 2010

Only using an employer as an example - my personal example - but my idea is applicable to all the others I have read about on this site Not long ago, I posted a rant about Siance not paying me.  I turned them in to the Labor Board.  They were given a deadline to pay me, but it could take that Dept up to 6 months or longer to get my money.  I thought...HMMM...I HAVE BILLS TODAY - NOT IN 6 MONTHS MAN!    So...I filed unemployment against Saince.  They did a pho ...

How Is Encompass As Employer???
May 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me anything about Encompass?  Website looks good, but then most do.  Any info welcome.  I want to bail but would not like to go from frying pan to the fire. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...

How Is M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 02, 2012

Can anyone, current or past employees of M*Modal, give me an idea of how they are as an employer?  Were you confined to set work times or were you able to work freely as time permitted?  Also, if anyone is willing to share, what is the pay rate? (per line, per minute of dictation...)I am in Canada and I know M*Modal branches out here (they have e-mailed me informing me of job openings) but I currently work for another really good company.  I am just curious as to the possibility o ...

Any Recourse When An Employer Wont Pay Their ICs?
Aug 02, 2010

any ideas?  I live in one state and my IC "employer" lives in another.  He owes me a substantial amount of money (almost 3K).  Do I have any recourse against him?  Could I file a suit against him with his state attorney generals office or small claims court or anything???  ...

Good Employer With Benefits
Dec 27, 2010

OSI & NUANCE: Please tell me about these companies. What can i expect for per line? For editing? I have 20+ years experience in acute care, radiology and multispecialty. I am a newbie to online work. HELP. TX ...

Dear Prospective Employer,
Nov 24, 2011

Dear Prospective Employer, It would have been great if you had specified in your ad whether the opening was on-site or if it was available to telecommuters.  If it is not available to telecommuters, then I just wasted over an hour of my time and your HR department has a unqualified application to process. It would have been great if your HR department had done a trial run through your online application to get the bugs out of it.  It would have been great if you had not designe ...

Reviews On Transcend As Employer
Jan 11, 2012

I'm looking into maybe working for Transcend.  I would welcome any and ALL reviews.  Feel free to post here, or e-mail me privately.   Thanks very much. ...

If An Employer Interviewing You Asked For Your
Mar 25, 2012

This story has been popping up in the news lately, and I find it very distressing!  How low will a company stoop to find a way to practice hiring discrimination?  Imagine yourself interviewing in an office or on the phone, and they ask if you use Facebook, Twitter, etc., and request you to hand over your password!  Would you do it?  I sure hope not!  Most likely I would lose my cool and laugh in their faces, but still no way would I ever do that.  WHAT an invasion ...

Opinions On M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 14, 2012

Hi Ladies - anyone recommend this company? Do they have good benefits?What is their line count requirement? Thanks a bunch... ...

Does Anyone's Employer Use Epic Systems?
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone's employer use Epic systems?  Our hospital is thinking of switching. ...