A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

ALERT!!!! See inside - Fed up

Posted: May 20, 2010

Someone asked that I start a new thread on this subject so it does not get buried regarding a job posting I received (and others also).  Below is the link to my original post if it does get buried.  If anyone wants to know the company....and I will post it here if that is allowed...you can contact me by email.  Otherwise, perhaps the monitor will advise whether I can post the company name.  I do not have a good feeling about this outfit.  I have not posted all the content of all the emails that went back and forth, only the highlights, and those highlights are very offensive when they blame the MT for VR and offshoring.  I thought when I blocked the sender from sending me email, I was through, but no, someone else took up the gauntlet, so here it is.

http://forum.mtstars.com/233616.html

I thought I was done with this when I blocked the responder to my email regarding their requiring a set schedule for an IC.  However, I received the note below in my mailbox this morning from someone else (or really, how would I know it is not the same person with perhaps 2 different email accounts?). 

**** Do not post emails or confidential/privileged information.  Moderator****

My response to this person is below:
Actually, if you knew anything about MedQuist, you would know they do not hire contractors.  They hire employees.  That's why MedQuist and companies like them require a set schedule because they can under IRS guidelines. It is the employer/employee status, and MedQuist and others like them take out taxes, Social Security, offer health benefits, PTO, 401(K), etc.  You only do that if there is an employer/employee relationship.  The IC is responsible for all the taxes, expenses, and everything else necessary to run their business.  When you offer $1.00 a report for that 2-liner normal to the IC, and you consider that the IC is then required to pay taxes on that income, buy health insurance (which will now be mandatory), pay operating expenses, it really is an insult. 

Excuse me, how would I have known and why would I have asked who your cohort is?  I sent an email, and I got a response.  As far as I was concerned, the contact represented your company and obviously had the "right" to respond.  Again, you show your lack of professionalism when you make a statement like that.  I blocked your "contractor" from sending me mail because I was done with the subject, but now you could not let it go, could you? 

You are right in that anyone can apply to your job posting.   Yes, and you can word your job posting anyway you want.  That is your prerogative.  However, your ad was a red flag not only to me but others in that you were requiring a set schedule for a contractor and the content and tone of your ad was demeaning and offensive.  Searching on your phone number posted shows it is listed as Lily of the Valley Trucking Company.  Searching on your fax number revealed it belongs to ****.  Calling your phone number, it is difficult to determine just who you are calling because the message is so unclear that the only thing audible is "bookkeeping service."  What scam are you running?

It is obvious neither you nor your cohort understands IRS guidelines.  The key is CONTROL.  You can control the result of the work but you cannot control the means and methods of accomplishing the result.  That means you cannot require a set schedule in which the work is accomplished.  It is that simple, but I'm afraid it is a concept and an IRS ruling that you do not grasp. 

The MT world is very small.  Many of us do our level best to protect this community from scam artists, from those who disrespect and cheat us, and those who take advantage because we need jobs.  Yes, I will ensure that I make your company known.  We have a board just for such postings.  The individual MT has the final decision on whether to accept a job or not, regardless of the negative posted about any company.  Many are thankful to have a source to turn to where they can investigate companies before signing on.  The reason is that many, way too many, have worked many hours only to be left empty handed, still waiting for the check, and it is our responsibility as good MTs to protect our laborers in the field with us from predators and to share our experiences. 

Words have meaning.  Quite possibly you will want to re-think how you post your ad in the future and consider adapting a more respectful tone.  If you want someone who will work a set schedule for you, be prepared to accept the employer/employee relationship and all that entails.  Otherwise, the IRS will force you to do just that. 

yikes!! me thinks someone has hit a - nerve

[ In Reply To ..]
looks like this could be the beginning of a not-so-beautiful relationship.

the moderator has always said it is okay to post company name. - Cannot post people or account/client names. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I'm not sure it makes anyone involved look very good - Just sayin

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see anything on either side to be very proud about. That's just my opinion though.

Wow - TiredMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I never understood how companies hire ICs but expect them to work a set schedule. To me, that defeats the whole purpose of being an IC. This is also why I cringe when I read IC position ads because they ALWAYS want you to act like an employee WITHOUT being an employee. Sounds like a crock of you know what...

Company is Count On Me Transcription. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

Anybody Ever Try This..(read Inside)
Sep 24, 2012

My job is extremely stressful these days b/c of constant threatening e mails to the whole team by our manager. I really don't want to look at e mails anymore.  They are making me feel really bad about the job.  But the work itself is good and the pay is minimum wage (of course).  So I can't quit.  I am thinking about not looking at e mails.  Has anyone been able to continue working without getting in trouble by not reading e mails. What is the longest you hav ...

Inside States...
Apr 24, 2014

Inscribe posted on job seeker's site, the new state laws do not allow them to hire from California.  What is that all about?  Geez.. ...

Need Inside Info
Jun 25, 2015

would anyone care to share experience with Saince?  thank you, SMC ...

S/l Gerota's Fat...see Inside For More Detail
Dec 18, 2009

This is on an enhanced CT of the chest...   There is also interval development of a focal area of nodularity measuring 1.08 cm in diameter within the (gerotas jerotus, gerotous, jerotus) fat on the left in the vicinity of the previous biopsy which could represent inflammatory changes. ...

Please See Inside Message, S/l Auger
Mar 08, 2010

During this procedure, the ovary was nicked and chocolate s/l auger _____ fluid was released.  This was suctioned.  Careful tedious dissection was done until the ovary was completely released.  Even though the ovary did drain a small amount of chocolate s/l auger ____  endometrioma fluid into the pelvis, the majority of the ovary was still filled.  Then using the 12 mm port, ...

Can Someone Please Tell Me What The Difference Is, Please See Inside Message
May 15, 2010

What would be the difference in taking a Medical Coding Program such as Andrews or AHIMA offers, versus taking THIS BELOW that Herzing offers.  I see Herzing says Insurance coding. So career wise, what is really the difference between being a Coder and an insurance coder?  Is there any difference in the job, the pay, etc?   I have a Pell grant and you see, Andrews and AHIMA do not accept it. from Herzing Online University Medical Billing and Insurance Coding - Overview Med ...

Pay Cuts. See Inside Message
Jul 11, 2011

I think it is time for some complaints to state and federal labor boards.  It is ILLEGAL  for the Q to cut us to below the Federal minumum wage.  ...

Word Help Please, Sentence Inside
May 31, 2012

The patient still has the s/l wedin soft tissue mass in the subcutaneous tissue at the distal aspect of his left total hip incision.  ...

Check This Out! How Accurate! (inside)
May 19, 2014

See Link Inside. What An Employer Can/cannot
Dec 04, 2014

when it comes to docking your pay, and docking our pay is now the law of the Nuance landscape, sending reports to QA, etc.  I have seen nothing or heard anything good, including during the conference call.  Did you agree to this new and exciting plan~~~in writing?  The link below, as long as the title may be, is from U. S. News and World Report.  Wonder if Nuance had their lawyers look at what they are doing?    ...

ORTHO HELP - Let's Try Again With The Full Sentence - See Inside!
Nov 23, 2009

"I have discussed with the family and I have anticipated approximately a 4 to 5 cm difference of the possibility that pan-genu epiphysiodesis at the appropriate time for ultimate equalization." ...

It Is Beautiful Outside And I Am Stuck Inside W/NJA, Just Waiting
Apr 13, 2010

NM ...

See Inside For Comments On This Very Odd Situation For Transcribing
Jun 09, 2011

Did anyone ever hear of a place where you do ASR or VR and having to cut and paste because they want specific macros.  Never did this before.  Any comments.  They pay very low for this work to begin with, very low. ...

Whoever Thought VR Up Needs To Be Slapped! VR Screw Up Inside...
Jan 30, 2013

This is what VR spit out.  "The patient appears obese but appears healthy and talks rectally."  ...

Quality Alert Because Of Being Below 99%
Jul 21, 2010

Do they expect 99% now? ...

Quality Alert
Oct 13, 2010

I received a quality alert feedback that I had failed and wanted to know if anybody knew if this was an actual audit or what?  And if so, has this happened to anyone and what happens?  Thanks. ...

Alert And Oriented X 3
Dec 29, 2010

Which is correct, alert and oriented x3 or alert and oriented x 3 with a space.  I cannot find anything in style guide or internet.  ...

Alert And Oriented X2-1/2
Dec 30, 2010

Has anyone ever heard of that before?  I sure haven't. ...

Alert And Oriented X 4
Jun 01, 2011

One company I work for has me type alert and oriented times four and the other one has me type alert and oriented x 4. I have also seen in alert and oriented x's 4. How does everyone else type it? ...

How To Type A Test Question Inside A Sentance. Prostate Cancer Pt.
Jan 20, 2011

He scores 10 out of 25 points on the SHIM components of the International Index of Erectile Function, but all 10 points are for "when you attempted sexual intercourse, how often was it satisfactory to you," he gave himself 5 points there.  Otherwise, he is not able to have sexual activity. ...

Anybody Get Failed Job Alert E-mail
Nov 01, 2010

I was wondering what the failed job alert e-mail meant. Also I have noticed that on every single one of those alerts that it has always been the bottom of the barrel dictator. ...

Alert For Time Card
Jan 08, 2011

Please, can you tell me how to put an alert on my time card?  I had to clock out early today and my CCM said put an alert on the time card.  I dont know what to do, have never did this before.  I went to my time card and do not see anywhere where I can put an alert.  Any help is truly appreciated.  Thank you. ...

*RED ALERT* Doctors Are GOING BROKE!
Jan 05, 2012

Citing industry experts, we TOLD YOU this was coming.  But you kept INSISTING that it wasn't true as you continued drinking the Obama Kool-Aid. Read it.  WEEP.  Weep because these are the PEOPLE WE WORK FOR.  With doctors going BROKE and closing their doors, this means FEWER OPPORTUNITIES for MTs. This isn't Fox News, either -- it's CNN's Money Report.  And if you believe (as claimed by one quoted in this article) that -- SUDDENLY -- physician ...

Antivirus Scam Alert
Feb 25, 2014

On 10/8/13 I downloaded Antivirus Security Pro per instructions and they immediately charged my credit card $99.99.  It was started that I was automatically granted a 12-month access in which to re-download at any time.  When downloaded, there was an icon on the desktop and the program listed in the folder on C drive.  My old antivirus was still good, so I did not try to the product right away.  Around 11/1/13 did try it and it had disappeared, icon and program.  Tried t ...

Dumb Question Alert
Jun 19, 2014

Sorry for the dumb question but I can't get any answers from my head honchos...where do you go to review your reports that have been audited? I've checked the manual and I see DocQManage.  That's not even on my computer (DocQScribe is).  I'm in Fluency.  I've tried to log into FFT Manager with my # with DEP on the end plus the password so graciously supplied to me but I keep getting "account not recognized" as an error message. This is seriously distress ...

Norton Alert On EditScript
Aug 17, 2014

EditScript was downloaded from employer in case I do back up accounts, but have not opened or used it yet.  I did a complete scan by Norton 360 last night and it listed a high risk threat: editscript mt.msi "compressed threats."  Anyone know anything about this?  I've had Norton just ignore this file for the future, but wonder if it contained a virus when downloaded? ...

Critical Backlog Alert!!
Mar 11, 2015

of Danger, Will Robinson!! Danger!!   ...

Anyone Work For Alert & Oriented Based In SF?
Mar 12, 2010

. ...

Granular Vs. Granulation On FIESA Alert?
Jun 19, 2013

I received a "critical error" alert that I used the word granulation instead of granular in a report that was by a heavy ESL.  Seriously?  That's a critical error?  As a FYI I relistened and it still sounds like granulation so I've sent it to the manager for review.  Either way ....it would not compromise patient care! ...

RED ALERT! SOS! SOS! SOS! - How Long Can This Go On Before We Lose The Accounts? Nm
Sep 29, 2013

x ...