A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If an employer interviewing you asked for your - Facebook password, would you give it? (sm)

Posted: Mar 25, 2012

This story has been popping up in the news lately, and I find it very distressing!  How low will a company stoop to find a way to practice hiring discrimination? 

Imagine yourself interviewing in an office or on the phone, and they ask if you use Facebook, Twitter, etc., and request you to hand over your password!  Would you do it?  I sure hope not!  Most likely I would lose my cool and laugh in their faces, but still no way would I ever do that.  WHAT an invasion of privacy! 

Have any of you been asked that, or similar questions, while interviewing for an MT job? 

=^..^=

no, I would not. I don't invite them to my home either. - nor would I let them run a credit chect. they are

[ In Reply To ..]
x

(sorry) to continue - they are crossing the line. - unless I can do the same.

[ In Reply To ..]
bur NOOOO, they would not allow it.

Just like anyone who says they are recording the conversation "for quality" - I tell them the same and they are thrown aback for a moment.

I hate when employers try to control what we do on - OUR OWN TIME. (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
Any time that they're not paying me for is MY OWN. And what I think, say or do on my own time is my own business, NOT theirs.
Invading privacy - Another MT
[ In Reply To ..]
Quite a long time ago, I was told that the job I was applying for as an MT for a medical company in house would require I go through a background check, which included a credit check. It devastated me when they turned me down for the job, as I had never experienced anything like that, and I just about told them what they could do with their job. At the time, I was a single mother with 4 children and felt they had ripped away a chance for me to care for my family. My son works for the government and yes, in his case, they do a background check, send the FBI out to question your past friends, neighbors and also check on your family. This was due to the position he has now, and of course there is a credit check; in fact, they can and do go into anything like your Facebook accounts, Twitter et cetera. But, I think it is absolutely absured that they ask for your password and check that too if you are applying for an MT position. That truly is an invasion of your privacy and rights. However, I still hear of MT companies that do credit checks, but they are few and far between. I used to remember a time when VR was never heard of, and I actually made a very good salary and could take care of my family. I wish I could go back in time. When I left Virginia to come to Florida 25 years ago I made about $18.00 per hour. When I came to Florida, I started out at a whopping $8.25 per hour!!! Since then it has gotten worse and sadly to say this profession will never be the same. I read recently that the jobs to go into today are service-related positions such as massage therapists, respiratory therapists, counseling, occupational therapists and physical therapists and nursing. They say they are in high demand and this will increase in the future. Sure wish I had done that, but would encourage any young person to try those fields.

Password???!!! Hello! Identify theft. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I would either hang up or walk out of the interview. - Zville MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I've never been asked this, but there's just no way - that would be like asking for your bank account number!

Anyway, they wouldn't get much from my facebook page except that I play Farmville waaayy too much :)

Of course I wouldn't...however, - AnonToo

[ In Reply To ..]
I know A LOT of people in HR (not in the transcription world) and they ARE looking at social media before interviews usually. If it's sales, sometimes they want you to be REALLY ACTIVE as well.

I cringe at some of the stuff grown up adults (meaning over 30) post on facebook because I think it's going to come back to haunt people. I'm probably more old fashioned when it comes to that stuff though. I LIKE my privacy.

I like my privacy too, thats why I dont have FB or twitter. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I would NOT give it and I would also - Observer

[ In Reply To ..]
call the AMERICAN CIVIL LIBERTIES UNION.

I dont use Facebook or Twitter, but you hear all the - time about people being

[ In Reply To ..]
fired for something they posted on their facebook or twitter accounts. Facebook and Twitter are public and even if you dont accept friend requests or whatever there are always ways for people to get into your account or veiw your posts.

Just never got into the whole social media thing. It wont be long before I lose interest in this website and quit coming back, nothing against it, just not into the whole internet soical media thing.

No job is ever going to censor what I want to write! - Although I dont use Twitter much, (sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm on Facebook all the time. It's how my friends & I stay in touch during the week, since I only see them on the weekend.

You can set privacy settings on Facebook so that your postings are only visible by friends. And you have control over who you "friend", and who you don't. I may rant about work on FB, but I don't post where I work on my profile, and actually not that much about myself on it, either.

It's also possible to have "secret groups" on FB, even among your group of friends, that only invitees can join, post on, or even see. Although privacy isn't guaranteed, I feel any company that would go to whatever lengths it took to hack into my FB account to eavesdrop on my private life is no company I would ever want to work for, anyway. So if they hacked in, read something they didn't like, and refused to hire me, too darned bad. Their loss, not mine.

Going too far - cmk

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd probably be snippy and say sure, as long as I can have yours too, and for every password I'm asked for, I'll ask for yours back. Probably wouldn't get hired, though. 'cause bottom line - not happening!

I would offer to give it they gave me theirs. - this is nuts

[ In Reply To ..]
Seriously. I've gone on some job interviews just out of curiosity and for practice and I interview the interviewer. It's kind of fun to ask THEM questions like, why would I want to work for them. What do they like and dislike most about their job, etc. If they asked me for my FB pswd, I'd definitely be asking for the password to their HR software.

a password is supposed to be secret. Why would I entrust it to - anyone who could do anything

[ In Reply To ..]
they wanted with my name on it. I don't think so. Why would an employer need to get into my facebook page. If they want to ask to be friends, that should be enough. No, I have never been asked this question.

It was Maryland Dept of Corrections in 2010. - might be on CNN .. my ..

[ In Reply To ..]
local news just carried the story.

cRaZy!

I'd like to make a suggestion... - Becky

[ In Reply To ..]
Along similar lines, I would suggest all working adults make their FB page private and only for friends (not even for friends of friends). I am a very solid person with nothing to hide and nothing to ever be embarrassed about, so my page was public. I then got notification from my MT company that a bill collector called them looking for me. The ONLY way they could have known about that new job of mine was on FB. I was mortifed that they called there. I have since made everything private. To the OP, never would I give a password. It's crossing the line to the millionth degree!

Similar Messages:

Interviewing
Aug 16, 2010

Hi.  New here.  Was wondering if ya'll knew about these companies, pros/cons to work for.  I have interviews scheduled this week with Softscript and DSG and know next to nothing about both.  Thanks. ...

Interviewing Soon And Nervous
Oct 01, 2010

I have an interview coming up and I am a little nervous.  I have not had an interview in years and I don't know what to expect.  The last two times I had interviews with an MTSO, they did not really interview me but instead just told me about the account and wanted to know what shift I wanted to work. For those of you who have been interviewing recently, what was it like?  What questions can I be expected to answer.  Thanks. ...

Interviewing Tomorrow A.m.
Oct 19, 2010

I'm interviewing tomorrow morning with Amphion.  Even after all of these years in the MT business, I admit that while I'm excited, I'm also a bit nervous.  Has anyone else interviewed with Amphion recently and can clue me in on what to expect?  I was told the interview process would take about 30 minutes but no other details.  Thanks for any input anyone can offer :-) ...

Interviewing With Softscript.....what's The SCOOP!
Oct 19, 2009

Interviewing with Softscript.....what's the SCOOP!  TIA! ...

Interviewing For Both Webmedx And Medquist???
Oct 23, 2010

Logged on and saw a recent post from someone saying they have an upcoming interview with Webmedx and Medquist and are wondering which is the best company.  My jaw just dropped.  Didn't Webmedx just lay off MTs?  Do I not read post after post about no work at Webmedx?  Whats up with that?  I recently joined Softscript and am so glad I did.  Plenty of work, nice people who actually treat you like a person and not just a number...did I mention plenty of ...

Interviewing With Medquist Tomorrow.
Jan 10, 2011

Interviewing with Medquist tomorrow.  Good or bad idea to take position if offered?   ...

Amphion - Thinking About Interviewing With Them
Feb 04, 2011

I am thinking about interviewing with them. Does anyone have any info they could share with me? Thanks. ...

I'm Actually Interviewing With Another Company During This Call
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

Got A Call From Axolotl Today About Interviewing
Sep 30, 2010

Got a call from Axolotl today about interviewing. Have heard good things in the past, but saw they were just acquired by another company. Any current employees with advice? Pay rates/platform? Is it straight MT or do they have VR also? Affordable benefits? Would appreciate any information. Comfortable(ish) at current job, would hate to leave and then have transcription phased out or pay cut. Thanks in advance for any info! ...

What Can An Old Employer Say About You?
Aug 27, 2010

What kinds of things can an old employer say about you when contacted by a company you're trying to get hired by? ...

Ex-Employer Trying To Scare Me?
May 04, 2010

My original post is further down on this page.  I was hired in by a company that told me I was hired contingent upon my computer passing their test.  It passed the test and I was offered employment.  Their techs downloaded their software on my computer and then for over a week, they worked on my computer, and then said my system was not compliant with their softwared.  I asked for new account with different platform, asked for them to restore my computer to its orginal state, ...

If Your Employer Doesn't Pay You.....
May 05, 2010

Only using an employer as an example - my personal example - but my idea is applicable to all the others I have read about on this site Not long ago, I posted a rant about Siance not paying me.  I turned them in to the Labor Board.  They were given a deadline to pay me, but it could take that Dept up to 6 months or longer to get my money.  I thought...HMMM...I HAVE BILLS TODAY - NOT IN 6 MONTHS MAN!    So...I filed unemployment against Saince.  They did a pho ...

How Is Encompass As Employer???
May 31, 2010

Can anyone tell me anything about Encompass?  Website looks good, but then most do.  Any info welcome.  I want to bail but would not like to go from frying pan to the fire. ...

When Searching For A New Employer
Nov 25, 2010

Check with the BBB.  They shouldn't just have NO activity, but be part of the ongoing audit, not just boast they have had NO activity.  Heck, I have had no activity!!!  It is only as good as what is submitted. You may have been in business 10+ years but screwed people over 5+ years of that time.  If no one reports you, the activity continues.... Watch RIPOFF reports.  They do not lie.  Unfortunately, not enough people file these reports so some of us are ...

Tell The Potential 2nd Employer About The 1st?
Sep 20, 2011

Took me quite awhile to figure this out. You need 2 MT jobs because they all overhire to keep many more employees less busy to pay less. In my day, you kept your 2nd job quiet, but what is the way to do it now? Is it good or bad to be looking for a 2nd part-time job, do you tell them. Is there anyone who left the first job to go full time with the 2nd one or switched them? And is it better to go IC in the 2nd job because of flexibility? I sound pretty dumb! ...

Contacting Former Employer
Jul 09, 2012

Has anyone ever contacted a former employer to see if they would re-hire you? Reason I am asking is, I was working with this MT company, but had to quit because something happened to my computer and my back-up didn't have the specifications required to run the software they use. It's been about 4 months since I've quit, and I have a new computer now that would work with what they offer. I am hesitant to ask to see if they would consider re-hiring me because when I quit, even thoug ...

How Is M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 02, 2012

Can anyone, current or past employees of M*Modal, give me an idea of how they are as an employer?  Were you confined to set work times or were you able to work freely as time permitted?  Also, if anyone is willing to share, what is the pay rate? (per line, per minute of dictation...)I am in Canada and I know M*Modal branches out here (they have e-mailed me informing me of job openings) but I currently work for another really good company.  I am just curious as to the possibility o ...

Any Recourse When An Employer Wont Pay Their ICs?
Aug 02, 2010

any ideas?  I live in one state and my IC "employer" lives in another.  He owes me a substantial amount of money (almost 3K).  Do I have any recourse against him?  Could I file a suit against him with his state attorney generals office or small claims court or anything???  ...

Good Employer With Benefits
Dec 27, 2010

OSI & NUANCE: Please tell me about these companies. What can i expect for per line? For editing? I have 20+ years experience in acute care, radiology and multispecialty. I am a newbie to online work. HELP. TX ...

Dear Prospective Employer,
Nov 24, 2011

Dear Prospective Employer, It would have been great if you had specified in your ad whether the opening was on-site or if it was available to telecommuters.  If it is not available to telecommuters, then I just wasted over an hour of my time and your HR department has a unqualified application to process. It would have been great if your HR department had done a trial run through your online application to get the bugs out of it.  It would have been great if you had not designe ...

Reviews On Transcend As Employer
Jan 11, 2012

I'm looking into maybe working for Transcend.  I would welcome any and ALL reviews.  Feel free to post here, or e-mail me privately.   Thanks very much. ...

Opinions On M*Modal As An Employer?
Oct 14, 2012

Hi Ladies - anyone recommend this company? Do they have good benefits?What is their line count requirement? Thanks a bunch... ...

Does Anyone's Employer Use Epic Systems?
Oct 15, 2012

Does anyone's employer use Epic systems?  Our hospital is thinking of switching. ...

Alphastaff Employer For 2012 On W2
Mar 02, 2013

How about that. No *paper* record of me ever being employed by Nuance Transcription Services. Are they hiding something? ...

My Job Is Phasing Out And My Employer Is Blaming
Sep 19, 2013

I work as an IC for a multispeciality clinic.  To make a long story short, she told us on the 1st the physicians are only allowed about 2000 lines a month and after that they will be charged. They are pushing the physicians to use an automated system.   She says that will decrease our workload significantly and she strongly urges us to pursue over avenues for employment.  I have not done hospital transcription since 2008.  I talked to my friend who works for a local ...

Do You Put Your Current Employer On Your Resume?
Apr 01, 2014

I am wondering,  because I am not sure if I want to show another company name to a prospective employer unless asked.   I like the current place and am going to stay, but it's only part-time right now.  ...

Inscribe Illegal Employer
Jun 05, 2014

Only hiring I.C.'s? Inscribe is full of it! It costs more upfront to be a 1099, and helps them evade paying taxes. There is tremendous liability on top of it. IT'S AGAINST THE LAW! *see link. http://www.treasury.gov/tigta/auditreports/2013reports/201330058fr.pdf ...

See Link Inside. What An Employer Can/cannot
Dec 04, 2014

when it comes to docking your pay, and docking our pay is now the law of the Nuance landscape, sending reports to QA, etc.  I have seen nothing or heard anything good, including during the conference call.  Did you agree to this new and exciting plan~~~in writing?  The link below, as long as the title may be, is from U. S. News and World Report.  Wonder if Nuance had their lawyers look at what they are doing?    ...

Isnt It Illegal For A Potential Employer To Ask Your Age?
Nov 16, 2009

Have any of you had the feeling you weren't getting callbacks from employers you applied with because of your age?  I've been getting that feeling, and I thought that discrimination based on age, among other things, was illegal. So of course, the answer would be to just not fill in your date of birth, right?  Well, lately I've applied at a few places where the ONLY way to apply was online.  I had actually called them because I wanted to either come in and fill out ...

Regarding Webmedx Being AHDI Employer Of The Year
Aug 12, 2010

This is funny.  I just called AHDI and asked how many nominees were there for Employer of the Year for this year?  With such fanfare as Webmedx makes over it, it must be quite an accomplishment, right? What's your guess? .. . . wait for it... . THREE! LOL lololol three. 3. hahaha sorry, I couldn't help it. And asked whether that's typical of previous AHDI Employer of the Year awards (because they really like to tell everyone about that title), I was told by Mi ...