A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Got answer from Labor Board - that was fast ! S/M - mt_not_for_long

Posted: Jul 05, 2012

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Department of Labor National Contact Center.

With regard to Record Keeping, the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) requires that employers keep accurate records of hours worked and wages paid to employees.

In connection with Piece Rate, employees can be paid in a variety of ways including a salary, hourly, piece rate, or commission basis. There is no requirement under the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) that an employee be paid in a certain manner. While earnings may be determined in a variety of ways, employees must earn at least the current federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour and be paid no less than one and one-half times their regular rate of pay for all hours worked over 40 in a workweek.

There are additional issues relating to being paid on a piece rate or commission basis. The Wage and Hour Division (WHD) enforces these regulations and provides additional information on the FLSA.

Please visit their website at www.wagehour.dol.gov for additional information.
OK - They do not answer my question if Nuance making us clock in and out and then deleting those times is legal.  I was given the phone # of my local office and I will call them with my questions.     Stay tuned.  :)

Thanks for the update - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
That WAS fast. Too bad it was kind of generic and not very helpful!

I really appreciate you doing this foot work and then reporting back to us. Can't wait to hear what they tell you on the phone.

?? - datme

[ In Reply To ..]
What's even more awesome (DEFINITELY NOT) is that Nuance just bought my company of 10 years. Awesome! ; (

Two words, "accurate records". These companies are - keeping fradulent records. nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Points from the link - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]

Application of Principles

Employees "Suffered or Permitted" to work: Work not requested but suffered or permitted to be performed is work time that must be paid for by the employer. For example, an employee may voluntarily continue to work at the end of the shift to finish an assigned task or to correct errors. The reason is immaterial. The hours are work time and are compensable.

Waiting Time: Whether waiting time is hours worked under the Act depends upon the particular circumstances. Generally, the facts may show that the employee was engaged to wait (which is work time) or the facts may show that the employee was waiting to be engaged (which is not work time). For example, a secretary who reads a book while waiting for dictation or a fireman who plays checkers while waiting for an alarm is working during such periods of inactivity. These employees have been "engaged to wait."

On-Call Time: An employee who is required to remain on call on the employer's premises is working while "on call." An employee who is required to remain on call at home, or who is allowed to leave a message where he/she can be reached, is not working (in most cases) while on call. Additional constraints on the employee's freedom could require this time to be compensated.

Rest and Meal Periods: Rest periods of short duration, usually 20 minutes or less, are common in industry (and promote the efficiency of the employee) and are customarily paid for as working time. These short periods must be counted as hours worked. Unauthorized extensions of authorized work breaks need not be counted as hours worked when the employer has expressly and unambiguously communicated to the employee that the authorized break may only last for a specific length of time, that any extension of the break is contrary to the employer's rules, and any extension of the break will be punished. Bona fide meal periods (typically 30 minutes or more) generally need not be compensated as work time. The employee must be completely relieved from duty for the purpose of eating regular meals. The employee is not relieved if he/she is required to perform any duties, whether active or inactive, while eating.

Sleeping Time and Certain Other Activities: An employee who is required to be on duty for less than 24 hours is working even though he/she is permitted to sleep or engage in other personal activities when not busy. An employee required to be on duty for 24 hours or more may agree with the employer to exclude from hours worked bona fide regularly scheduled sleeping periods of not more than 8 hours, provided adequate sleeping facilities are furnished by the employer and the employee can usually enjoy an uninterrupted night's sleep. No reduction is permitted unless at least 5 hours of sleep is taken.

Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: Attendance at lectures, meetings, training programs and similar activities need not be counted as working time only if four criteria are met, namely: it is outside normal hours, it is voluntary, not job related, and no other work is concurrently performed.

Typical Problems

Problems arise when employers fail to recognize and count certain hours worked as compensable hours. For example, an employee who remains at his/her desk while eating lunch and regularly answers the telephone and refers callers is working. This time must be counted and paid as compensable hours worked because the employee has not been completely relieved from duty.

By having a mandated schedule ... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
doesn't that put us in the "engaged to wait" category?

If we could work whenever and simply get our lines in, that would be different but we MUST maintain a set schedule.

That's how I see it - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
/

absolutely agree...and so would the Dept of Labor - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Engaged to wait or on call. either way THAT'S US. - me

[ In Reply To ..]

My email said to call YOUR local dept. s/m - mt_not_for_long

[ In Reply To ..]
And ask your questions. Each state has some different "rules". I live in Florida. You can bet your butt I'm calling.

training materials - interesting

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd say the various training and/or slides and/or PDFs they give us links to should be paid for, as well. They are not fulfilling ALL 4 requirements to get a pass on not paying us for those. JMO

p.s. Lectures, Meetings and Training Programs: they sure are job related

check this out - Snow Bunny

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a link for keystroke logging:
http://home-key-logger.software.informer.com/1.7/

Let's just say it looks like a good way to prove what you did during the time you were working, should it ever come down to "their word against yours."

Labor Board - Jean9in

[ In Reply To ..]
I couldn't find the beginning of this conversation to see what it is about, but it is interesting enough to me as I sit here trying to make up day shift hours at 9 pm and there is no work. Didn't have these problems before Nuance came in! Can someone please direct me to the beginning so I can see what I'm so willing to jump on board with... or just email me. Thanx!

Scroll down to "What is the procedure when no work available" - mt_not_for_long

[ In Reply To ..]
That's where this started. I said I was not deleting time from checking in and out, I don't clock in and out anyway. They can MUP me by paying me minimum wage.

Similar Messages:

Someone Please Answer This Fast (sm)
Aug 30, 2011

as it will be moved to the tech board where it belongs, but it doesn't have email options.  I really would like someone to let me email them with a screenshot of the Chartnet I am working on.  I have permission from my TL.  We are switching over to Chartnet and I just hate it.  I have read where everyone loves it but something is different with what I am working on.  Early on, someone suggested it was set up in M-Modal version which is not as user friendly, but all ...

CA. Labor Board States "Good Case" Regarding Unpaid Labor
Jun 22, 2015

A fellow MT posted on the Nuance board that she contacted the California Labor Board regarding unpaid labor.  I hope this case creates a precedent!  For me, some jobs are so laden with problems half my time is spent researching and correcting dictator errors - for no pay!  We are not paid to check email, answer email, train, review of all the documents emailed to us, review changes in procedure, doctor exceptions to the rule, working with tech support, reviewing QA, searchin ...

Question About Labor Board
Nov 02, 2012

Does anyone know, with an IC working in one state and the MTSO having her business in another state, which state I would file a claim with the labor board for wages not paid.  This is a minimal amount but this lady has one excuse after another, she has been sick, she had personal problems, her daughter had an appointment.  I am at a point where I am finished and want to file a claim with the labor board, she has too many personal problems/issues to be in business.  I will not ...

Labor Board Or Lawyer
Dec 03, 2014

in all seriousness, can this be done legally?  what about the state minimum wage... the Labor Board should be notified or a lawyer to make sure this is legal.    ...

National Labor Relations Board, Says
Dec 09, 2014

discuss your pay in public as much as you would like. It is the law.  It does not matter if you have signed a nondisclosure statement on salary as that is not legal. If you are fired for talking about your salary you have legal grounds for compensation. Of course distributing copyrighted material is illegal, but you can talk about your work concerns and salary in public. It is the law no matter what a company tells you. You do not have to be part of a union. You have rights as an employee ...

Reporting Companies To Labor Board?
May 21, 2015

I am just curious...has anyone ever reported companies that don't pay you for your work? I have been reading posts about some of them particularly the one that has a new pay system where I think you all said you only get paid for 80% of your work?? How absurd. That has got to be illegal. I have provided the link to get you started. I reported a company I worked for 30 years ago in a different field who tried to withold my paycheck because I just quit without notice. All I had to do wa ...

Labor Board Contact On Previous MTSO
Dec 09, 2014

Anyone else hear from a wages & hours investigator from a Labor Board on a well known MTSO?  I do not want to reveal the name, as I think all should worry about this and don't want to tip off the one they are investigating.   ...

Any Info On Fast Transcription That Is On The Job Seekers Board? NmNm
Mar 19, 2014

Xx ...

Need Benefits Fast! Know Of Co That Gives Dental Ins Fast?
Jul 19, 2010

Need benefits fast!  Know of co that gives dental ins fast? ...

Fast Chart - Current Info On Fast Chart
Dec 10, 2011

Anyone have any current info on Fast Chart, good, bad, ugly?  Checked the Archives, not much recent info.  Thanks! ...

Fast Chart - Does Anyone Work For Fast Chart
Mar 07, 2013

Does anyone work for Fast Chart and what can you tell me about them? ...

Fine, We Will Just Post On The Main Board Or Company Board Then... Nm
Oct 12, 2014

Can't Get An Answer From My CCM....
Sep 01, 2010

I've asked numerous times; all get ignored.  I have asked what happens if I can't get my hours in (I'm FT) in any given week (s).....Will I lose my health insurance?  She picks and chooses which emails to answer.  Any FT'ers who regularly find it next to impossible to get their hours in -- did you lose your benefits?  ...

Can Someone Here Answer A
Oct 17, 2013

to someone who has in depth knowledge of the new HIPAA rules and regulations, please respond first and then I will ask my question. thank you. ...

Do You Have An Answer?
Dec 08, 2013

After 50 years as an MT I am now only doing SR from hom ...

OOW, No Answer From TSM
Aug 20, 2014

Ever wonder what is going on with the work?  Lots of it one day, none the next?  You get no answers from anyone on your account?  What are you supposed to do?  I've about had it. ...

MODERATOR: I See A New Board Offshore, Did You Consider A VR Board?
Oct 13, 2009

nm ...

New And QA Will Not Answer Any Question For Me.
Sep 10, 2010

I've been working for almost two weeks now for a company and have sent QA several messages concerning questions about appropriate ways they want the reports done as well as dangerous abbreviations (I did not use them at my last job.) I cannot get an answer and it just bugs me badly. ...

If You Are New Or Old For Oracle OTI, Please Answer.
Oct 16, 2010

No one answers my emails when I ask why my accounts have no work. It's been going on for a very long time, but so much worse now.  I thought a new account was going ot start, but I haven't heard a word about it.  Is something going on that I don't know about?  I realize they were going to be switching to more SR and MTs weren't all that happy about it (my own pay will be 1.5 CPL lower and only 4CPL for SR work), but what happened?I absolutely hate coming to a r ...

How Long Does It Take To Get An Answer Sm
Nov 03, 2010

from Qcare.  I haven't been able to log into MQ central or get my e-mail for over 2 days already.  I thought they were supposed to answer in 24 hours?! ...

MQ QA I Need An Answer About Numbering. Sm
Mar 28, 2011

Now Plllleeeeasssse moderator, don't move this to some other forum.  I really do need for a MedQuist QA person to answer this question.... My original blurb was placed on here, and it was moved to the Word Board.  I got answers from others who do NOT use ASR platform of MQs.   I realize BOS2 says the number, and that is what I have been doing for about a year now. Here is the headache that we MQ employees endure. ASR seems to do whatever it wants and does NOT follow rul ...

Ok, Q-berts... Answer Me This
Aug 24, 2011

How come when I had to F11 a job today (first time in 6 months), I was still paid for ASR rate, even though I typed it?   Is this because of all of the people "claiming to do an F11 day," thereby screwing the rest of us???     ...

I'll Get A Faster Answer From Here Than If I Ask My CCM...
Jul 31, 2012

While training on Docqscribe 7.1, do we get paid hourly or straight transcription rate with a little extra for training? ...

CCM Won't Answer The Phone, RTL Won't Answer The Phone.
Oct 07, 2012

Who's minding the store? Because there certainly doesn't seem to be anyone there - despite the fact that the RTL is supposed to be on duty for another hour and a half. Trouble with my que on the weekend has been going on every since the last maintenance. Wonder if the two are connected or coincidence. ...

The Answer Is NO. You Will Still Continue To
Oct 15, 2012

nm ...

Since TSM And QA Don't Answer My Questions
Jan 21, 2014

With templates that are spaced wrong and punctuated wrong? I've been gigged for 1 space in the past. Whoever entered this template doesn't know how to use hyphens either. ...

Can Someone Answer PTO Questions?
Apr 23, 2014

I was acquired 1 yr ago.  I had 4 years service with previous company, and was told we brought that with us, so I assume now I have 5 years service, right?  At the time, there was a schedule of PTO hours earned per years of service, I think it was about 3 weeks if you had 5 years.  I do not see that anymore.  Does that mean everyone only earns 4.62 hours of PTO per pay period no matter how long they have been employed? Also, regarding the "time off without pay."  If I h ...

So I Didn't Get A An Answer
May 06, 2014

Still in training and asked if there was a way to look up old reports on Bayscribe.  Does anyone know?  Thanks for any help! ...

Need An Answer As To The Difference Between
Sep 19, 2014

using numberical 2 and Roman II, was told was between types and conditions of disease. Am confused, can you help? ...

Quick Answer Please
May 31, 2015

If a doctor is dictating the wrong word consistently throughout the report and stating the word very clearly, do you change it or leave it? ...