A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

mentoring - any ideas or advice? - msshell

Posted: Mar 05, 2010

I am a recent grad and would like to start working part time however, I believe i need more experience in transcribing actual reports. I would like to have a "mentor" so that I can be more confident in my ability to transcribe and not be afraid to apply for a position as a medical transcriptionist. Can anyone give my any ideas or advice?

mentoring - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to mentor MTs a lot, it was part of my job description. I don't think I can allow any reports I receive to be listened to by anyone. Wouldn't know how to do that nor would I feel comfortable since I don't really work for myself. I can to this...send me an e-mail through here and include your e-mail address. I will then give you my "real" e-mail address and you can get in touch with me. Not much but it's the best I can do.

mentoring - oldone

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't mention in my last post to you that HIPPA won't allow too much in this situation. (I don't want 15 people jumping down my throat claiming that I violated HIPPA laws. I don't violate them. They are important as you already know.)

try linking up with someone in your city and work along side them or work in house - along with others, the latter is the best way.

[ In Reply To ..]

i sent you an email about free mentoring program. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

reply to i sent you an email about free mentoring program - katiekamrad

[ In Reply To ..]
I too would like an email about a free mentoring program. I need the help.

I have mentored several MTs, if you like, e-mail me??....nm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

reply to Cyndiee - katiekamrad

[ In Reply To ..]
I too would like to be mentored...how can I email you to give you my email address?

reply to Cyndiee - SK

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd like to be mentored... are you still available?

Similar Messages:

Mentoring - Who's Done It?
Jun 05, 2012

Scary?  Intimidating?  Useful? ...

Mentoring Programs
Apr 21, 2011

Hi.  I finished MT school at Oak Horizons in November/December of 2010.  I also did an intership for a company and after I finished they told me I needed to get a job in a small clinic so I would have someone working with me.  In my small town there is not any small clinics or any surrounding towns that I know of.  I wanted to ask all of you about any Mentoring Programs?  The only one I have looked into was AIM and some of the feed back I have read was good for the mento ...

Mentoring - This Sucks!
Apr 24, 2012

I guess we are all going to get mentored at one point or another as I just received an email to set me up for it.  I make over the lph and get all my required hours in each week so I don't see why I am being mentored at all.  Like I said, I guess we have no choice and will all be mentored sooner or later. This sucks! ...

Mentoring From Boost
Sep 28, 2012

Well, it finally happened.  I got the e-mail from Boost saying I had been chosen to be mentored.  I don't understand.  I ALWAYS get my line count and more.  I always type my hours.  I have had some good numbers on the Boost reports, one 5, one 3.5, but I have also gotten two 1s, as I do not speed the report up during the report, and I don't use the arrow keys to go to the beginning of the paragraph and such.  Can someone please tell me how the Boost mentor ...

What Is The Mentoring Program?
Jul 08, 2013

I guess I have never heard of this program.  Has anyone actually had success using it or are those testimonies just more fairy dust wishes sprinkled by Shaw? ...

The Mentoring Program
Oct 03, 2014

Happy TGIF, Everyone! After receiving my second corrective action last week, it was strongly recommended by my HDSM that I sign up for the MP with my PC....and she even went so far as to threatened to submit a notation to HR if I didn't do the MP. I've spoken with some of the members in my primary group who told me it was a waste of time and didn't make a difference in their performance. I already knew this, which was why I wasn't gung ho about doing the MP. And after gett ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

Anyone Gone Throught This Mentoring Process Yet?
Apr 24, 2012

How exactly does it work.  Do we log into our reg accounts and they log in to so they can watch us work and tell us easier ways to do our job or how exactly do they do it?  ...

Apparently Performance Mentoring
May 03, 2012

I have just learned. ...

Just Finished An Hour Of Mentoring
Aug 13, 2012

Just finished an hour of being mentored.  It was great.  Mentor was very informative and helpful and also very nice.  Can't wait until our next session and can't wait for 7.1!! ...

Thoughts On The Mentoring To Get You To Use Shortcuts
Jan 11, 2013

Any thoughts on the mentoring to get you to use shortcuts and keeping track how many times you use them?  My line counts are well over the minimum, but I feel like I am being forced to use these, otherwise it reflects badly on me. ...

My Mentoring Phone Call Is Tomorrow
May 06, 2012

My mentoring phone call is tomorrow. Does everyone get a mentor as well? What do they talk about? I have a list of questions for her but they're mainly about complaints. I'm even going to ask if I can't do my job good enough, then they should do it themselves or even send it back to India. I want to know if this mentoring program is the first step in my being fired. I'm very concerned about my job and maybe I shouldn't ask these questions, but the way they treat us ...

The Dangers Of So-Called Free Mentoring Programs
Mar 07, 2010

Every year there are a few people who start free or for-charge mentoring programs. Stay away from them if they have you transcribing work that they are critiquing. Mentoring is advising, supporting, encouraging, but not having you do their transcription for them for free. Because of privacy issues, you also would be well advised not to send any of your transcription to a 3rd party for help. There are all sorts of red flags. Just be careful. Over the years many of these free programs have turned ...

Just Received An Email About Performance Management Mentoring
Jun 28, 2012

I just received an email about Performance management mentoring.  Those of you who have had it, what exactly is it that they do?   TIA ...

Question For All MTs', Especially Trained By Mentoring Process And Did Your Time In The Trenche
Apr 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a former Acute Care Transcriptionist who has 12 years hospital, 2 years clinical experience including not cherry-picking and found out years later that their most experienced transcriptionist refused to do an account I was put on due to the ESL ratio.  They did try to make me feel like I was the one who was stoopid, etc..... aside from that....I retired from this profession to home-school my children full-time, be a wife and mother...hubby is very high maintenance.... Any ...

Any Ideas??
Feb 12, 2012

Help! I am transcribing from some tapes, yes tapes, and the sound quality is extremely poor.  Wondering if anyone knows if conference mode versus dictation mode makes any difference in sound quality.  Need to do something.  Digital would be best if I can convince them to change.  Thanks for any suggestions. ...

Need Some Ideas.
May 24, 2012

Well this whole transcription thing is not going well. Duh! With a really bad work schedule, an hour commute each way and now the threat of the hospital outsourcing our department, I am trying to think of something I can do from home besides work for peanuts for a MTSO. I am expecting my first child soon and really want to be home with him.  Does anyone have a friend or family member who has successfully implemented her own business (perhaps with a transcription background) and if so, ...

Any Ideas?
Dec 11, 2013

Tried testing for Accentus, but my foot pedal would not play the voice file.  It did absolutely nada.  I could not go backward or fast forward.  I was able to hear the test voice file just fine, so I went ahead and hit the tab to take the test.  I transcribed 4 words, went to back up, and I couldn't.  Any suggestions as to why my stinking foot pedal would not work?  It works fine when I am transcribing for my present service.    ...

Ideas??
Apr 07, 2015

Hi Guys/Gals,   I am dictating a doctor who sounds like he has a mouthful of marbles.  Under Physical Exam he states, "Abdomen is soft, no _____megaly.  It is not organomegaly because I have transcribed this doctor many times and it sounds nothing like it.  Any ideas on what else it could be?  ...

Any Ideas Of Another Career In Which I Can...
Apr 15, 2010

put all of this wonderful medical terminology to good use?  Don't want to be a nurse.  I hate needles and blood.  I am a very empathetic and compassionate person.  I really don't want to deal with the public/customers. ...

Ideas On Chairs
Jul 18, 2013

Hello all,  I have been in the transcription business now for 8 years and I have yet to find a comfortable chair! Comfort is everything when you are trying to stay in one spot to get a decent line count and when your butt is numb or tailbone hurts it's hard to do that!  Could you please share what kind of chairs you all have?  I am determined to buy one this weekend even if it is outrageously expensive!    TIA  ...

Why All The Scams Lately? Any Ideas?
Feb 09, 2014

Its getting sickening. ...

Any Ideas For Wording?
Mar 11, 2015

I am rewriting my resume to get out of the MT field.  Was wondering if anyone had any words or phrases that might help describe strengths the average MT has that would transfer to the "real world" ?  Thanks so much. ...

Does Not Sound Correct, Any Ideas?
Feb 04, 2010

This is typed exactly as said, but does not seem correct to me.   Examination of her tendo Achilles on the left does show some thickening in the primarily tendinous portion for about a 3 inch length.  She is mildly tender but it is markedly thickened.   tia. ...

Footpedal Mystery, Ideas Anyone?
Dec 09, 2011

I need to work in bed for a few weeks due to a leg injury. Does anyone have any ideas so I can use my footpedal?  I have been trying to think of something to use besides pillows to hold it in place at the right angle but I'm not having much luck.  Figured one of my brilliant peers would have ideas!! ...

Deskjob Munchy Ideas
Jan 30, 2012

Hey fellow MTs, I don't know about any of you, but I constantly desire munchies or something of the like at my desk while I'm working.  As my waistline has been increasing steadily over the past few years, I was wondering if any of you have any healthy or even somewhat healthy munchy ideas.  So far I've gone from M&Ms and Hershey Kisses to peanuts and raisins, but...yeah...I wouldn't mind some other ideas.  Thanks all! ...

Ideas For New Comp Plan
Aug 15, 2012

Since it is obvious the new comp plan isn't done maybe we could give them help and point in the right direction.  I would love to hear what everyone thinks, good or bad.  Would you rather get paid hourly or by the line? How about a shift differential for the weekend? What about extra money per report for those accounts with multiple carbon copies and tedious demographic screens? Some companies consider FT and offer benefits at 32 hours, would that be something anyone would be ...

Need Good Ideas On Being Productive With
Sep 14, 2012

Will be many different clinics.  I am accustomed to acute care only but this account will be about 70 percent clinic and 30 percent acute care.  TIA ...

Anyone Have Any Other Work From Home Ideas?
Apr 04, 2013

So far, I'm still hanging in there with MT, wondering how long this will last, like many of us are. I'm prepared to get a job outside the home if need be and will be starting school soon, but am wondering if anyone might have the scoop on any other ideas to make a little money from home. ...

Scholarship Ideas Requested
May 14, 2013

Hi folks.  I'm an ex-MT of 32 years.  When I was 50 years old, I started college, got a degree in IT, and am now an IT Project Manager. I know the financial struggle my fellow MT's are going through, and I want to give something back to help others have the ability to feed their families once again and to stop losing their houses. I'm considering setting up a college scholarship fund.  It won't be overly large in the beginning, but it will be a start.  I ...