A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

apparently performance mentoring - is not optional

Posted: May 03, 2012

I have just learned.

by that I mean - everyone has to do it

[ In Reply To ..]
be looking for your email soon.

I dont mind. - really

[ In Reply To ..]
I can only see them offering suggestions, and if I can learn something, thats great. If not, maybe someone else can learn from me.

No worries.

I mind - I find it insulting

[ In Reply To ..]
If they are not happy with my production why don't they just say so. I don't need somebody who thinks they are better than me telling me how to improve. That and I don't wish to be spied on.
They already are, got your Boost email yet? - AnonToo
[ In Reply To ..]
While I am above the "averages" I am FLOORED with the averages and how does MModal expect to keep people because by running the numbers to me people would be making barely more than 0.25 per hour above minimum wage. I know though with child care and gas prices that's good for some areas, but for a CAREER no I think that's horrible.
Got my email and looks like I am over the 15% - mark for inactive time..anyone else?
[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe I should start punching out everytime I get up.
WAY over 15% - Inactive time
[ In Reply To ..]
However, also 60% over the average for net production, so they had better not say a darn thing!

I, too, have trouble staying motivated for a company who has cut my pay significantly and does not reward me for my expertise.
In fact, 35% inactive time! - WooHoo!
[ In Reply To ..]
And still a top producer.
what? How is that possible? - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
What is your average lines per hour according to the thing? I am at 11% inactive time and hoving on what they call average. How are you at 35% inactive and still high lines?
Average lines - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
My average is 310 lines per hour, which is accurate. I usually do between 2300 and 2400 lines per day. Don't know mon....I've just always been a high producer. I've been doing this a looong time.
AND..... - I only work 32 hours a week
[ In Reply To ..]
So they had REALLY not say/do anything regarding my inactive time!
ditto - 29% here
[ In Reply To ..]
but I'm 100% over the average MT production, so why really should it matter.
friend of mine only had 12% much more disciplined - than I am
[ In Reply To ..]
Her counts are through the roof too. Maybe I will see if I can get mine down to 12% since we are gonna be getting these on a weekly basis.
They have done these in the past - short lived
[ In Reply To ..]
Twice in the past we have had these. They do it for a month or so, then stop for whatever reason. Then pick it back up in 5-6 months. My last report was back in November. I think I got them for roughtly 5 weeks.
I guess I am really diciplined then... - Got 7%
[ In Reply To ..]
Wow. What do you guys do that have 30%? Laundry? Dishes?
if you log out but are still in a report - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
Then it shows up as unproductive time, but you can't just abandon a report. But sometimes you just have to log out because something comes up.
Why not finish the report first? - only takes minutes to do a job
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course unless it is a 20 minute job, but then take a break before you do the job. What comes up? I guess if you were in an office, you would not be able to just log off because something came up, so I just dont do that.
you know, the doorbell rings or - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
the husband calls or comes in or the phone rings or the dog is barking at something but even if you log out it still shows up as their unproductive time or whatever they call it.
If they ask, I'll just say I had diarrhea last week - and thats why so much inactive time.
[ In Reply To ..]
I was looking at old reports - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
FIrst I tried the Repository, but when I clicked on that it logged me out of DEP. So when I didn't find what I wanted in the Repository, I had to log back into DEP and go through old reports.
What does it matter - if my productivity
[ In Reply To ..]
is twice what the minimum requirement is and at least 60% more than average?
Not to be misunderstood by floored - AnonToo
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean the people below the average or at the average are LESS. But if they expect people to use their knowledge, pay for school to get such knowledge, they should be compensated for that OTHERWISE just hire some one fresh out of high school. I hope that makes sense.

Personally I do NOT clock out every time I get up, my thought process is I didn't in house so I am not now. I am not going to log off when I do research on a word, procedure, physician or anything like that either.
I must admit, I have my episodes of screwing around - some days, just not motivated.
[ In Reply To ..]
Thats my biggest problem. I just got sit still and stay focused. Not necessarily punch out everytime I get up, but work on staying focused.
I feel I screw around a lot and - Im not over 15%
[ In Reply To ..]
I guess I balance it out somehow. I am so confused on the gross and net lines. So, the net lines is what I actually do per hour and when you take off my inactive time, it gives gross lines? Aren't my lines the same either way? I dont get it.
I don't get it either - slave wages
[ In Reply To ..]
It seems like the gross lines should be higher than the net lines but they aren't. I mean, like gross pay is more than net pay. Can someone explain that? thank you.
Gross lines is usually what you average at end of - day/week/ pay-period.
[ In Reply To ..]
I can edit 300 lph, but by the time the pay-period ends it averages to usually 200 lph because I am not consistently maintaining 300 throughout the course of each shift, day, or week.
I think the whole idea is to try to help everyone - "Boost" their productivity..what
[ In Reply To ..]
makes you think that they feel they are better than you? Like really, where did that come from?

Also if they wanted to spy on you, believe me they can without you knowing anything about it. How else do you think they know when people have a lot of "inactive time."

They dont have to pretend to mentor you to keep an eye on what you're doing, they can just do it.
Everyone's got their thing and that's mine - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Some people get bent out of shape about a person monopolizing the boards trying to get everyone to strike, and I get bent out of shape about somebody, somebody who probably has far less experience than I have, telling me how to increase my production. So it's my problem. And from what I read, you have to download some software for them to spy on us, so I don't think they are spying on us now. Yes they can tell when you are inactive but they can't tell if you are doing researching or doing online gambling. And no, I'm not doing online gambling but I still feel it violates my privacy.
this is not about BOOST - it is about mentoring
[ In Reply To ..]
the emails came on the same day and that confused the issue. I have no problem with the BOOST email but I was also told today I have to go through mentoring. Everyone has to do mentoring even if their production is above required levels.
more like BOOST my paranoia, or AROUSE my anger! - MT2468
[ In Reply To ..]
I did not take kindly when I got this e mail today. I was never told we were all in this, I was under the impression we volunteered. I don't like having my every move monitored. I really don't. This truly is annoying to me. I will forget it b/c I want a job, but it really rubbed me wrong way... BIG TIME! ...:(
Every time they do something to "boost" - Just Sayin
[ In Reply To ..]
our production, we get a pay cut. Kind of makes one lose motivation after a while.
How many pay cuts have you had? Can you - be specific?
[ In Reply To ..]
Just curious. I hear an awful lot about paycuts. So for example what type of paycut..thanks.
pay cuts - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
1. Pay cut when moved to ASR.
2. Pay cut when took away incentive pay.
3. Pay cut when took away night shift differential.
4. Pay cut when you send more than 5% to QA (first time right program).
5. Pay cut when they "leveled the field" last year.
6. Pay cut to become an MME (down to 3 cpl).

Thats pretty many, hey?

Monitoring - Just Me

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree. I'm a tad over the 15% inactivity time, but I do not feel "threatened" or "looked down upon" by the way this report was presented to me. I now have the statistics in hand, and I can make adjustment if I want to. So many on this board seem to take everything from the company as a personal affront. This whole situation from use of ASR, pay rate changes,monitoring production...it is not personal...it's just business. If this business causes anyone to feel belittled, put-upon, slighted, threatened, embittered, perhaps those persons should find another business, or at least another employer. There are many others out there you know. I'm glad they have chosen to share this performance data with us. I'm sure they have had access to such information for quite a while. The thing to be concerned about, it seems to me, is all the information that can be collected on individuals thanks to modern technology and we never know the details about ourselves that others have access to.
Not the monitoring, the - MENTORING
[ In Reply To ..]
everyone has to go through mentoring. Including you. Now how do you feel about it?
Monitoring/Mentoring - Just Me
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm happy for any help I can get. I don't allow ego to stand in the way of (hopefully) increasing my income.
and I'm saying everyone's got their thing - and this is mine
[ In Reply To ..]
MT is the only thing in this world that I can say I am really good at. I don't care if you call it ego. I don't want some cheerful little mentor telling me how to do something I've been doing for more than half my life.

According to email - This will be a weekly - thing..sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The figures we got for today was for last week. It says they will continue to provide us with weekly updates to help us grow professionally and increase our productivity.

Oookay...well I wish I had of gotten this on Monday because looks like I've already got a bad report coming for next week. I have had a horrible week!!!

With only two days left, I will see what I can do to compensate.

that will last for 4 weeks or so, then nothing for months - again

[ In Reply To ..]
I went back to the last time we got these, and it was November!

I'm hoping this won't apply to limited benefits FT - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
I've got carpal tunnel from the soles of my feet to the tips of my hair at this point LOL. If I could do more an hour, I would do more an hour. It would mean more money for me. So hopefully they know to leave well-enough alone. Probably not though.

I have a hard time imagining what tips could possibly improve my speed after a decade of doing transcription. I'll admit, a feeding tube, a Foley and chaining me to my chair would improve my speed, but I'm just not sure I'm ready for that kind of commitment to this company.

So let's see, type with my fingers, listen with my ears and translate sonic vibrations into usable packets of information with my brain... Yeah, I've got this. My favorite piece of advice someone gave to me 6 years ago: "You can search for medical words you don't know on Google." Google? What is this unholy witchcraft you speak of?

That's always been where MQ/MM and I separate. I trust professionals to do their jobs and do them well until proven otherwise. Mentoring should be 100% optional.

thank you - have calmed down a little

[ In Reply To ..]
but I still don't like it one bit. I do love your livestock reports.

Thank you - I always try to make people laugh - MModal Livestock

[ In Reply To ..]
It's hard to stay calm at MModal. Every time we get comfortable with the new world order, they toss it out and start again. And every year it gets harder to learn all the new survival tactics required to make it. At this point, every MT week they should send us a case of Valium and Pepcid so we don't get an ulcer.

Similar Messages:

Just Received An Email About Performance Management Mentoring
Jun 28, 2012

I just received an email about Performance management mentoring.  Those of you who have had it, what exactly is it that they do?   TIA ...

Softscript - Past Performance Is Any Indication Of Future Performance
Jan 30, 2012

to download.  That's frutiy.  Managment of workflow has changed too.  They have been putting H and P's that are more than two hours old through.  That's fruity.  Jobs come totally out of order based on job numbers and date stamp.  That's fruity.  They will never get it together if past performance is any indication of future performance.  ...

Mentoring - Who's Done It?
Jun 05, 2012

Scary?  Intimidating?  Useful? ...

Mentoring Programs
Apr 21, 2011

Hi.  I finished MT school at Oak Horizons in November/December of 2010.  I also did an intership for a company and after I finished they told me I needed to get a job in a small clinic so I would have someone working with me.  In my small town there is not any small clinics or any surrounding towns that I know of.  I wanted to ask all of you about any Mentoring Programs?  The only one I have looked into was AIM and some of the feed back I have read was good for the mento ...

Mentoring - This Sucks!
Apr 24, 2012

I guess we are all going to get mentored at one point or another as I just received an email to set me up for it.  I make over the lph and get all my required hours in each week so I don't see why I am being mentored at all.  Like I said, I guess we have no choice and will all be mentored sooner or later. This sucks! ...

Mentoring From Boost
Sep 28, 2012

Well, it finally happened.  I got the e-mail from Boost saying I had been chosen to be mentored.  I don't understand.  I ALWAYS get my line count and more.  I always type my hours.  I have had some good numbers on the Boost reports, one 5, one 3.5, but I have also gotten two 1s, as I do not speed the report up during the report, and I don't use the arrow keys to go to the beginning of the paragraph and such.  Can someone please tell me how the Boost mentor ...

What Is The Mentoring Program?
Jul 08, 2013

I guess I have never heard of this program.  Has anyone actually had success using it or are those testimonies just more fairy dust wishes sprinkled by Shaw? ...

The Mentoring Program
Oct 03, 2014

Happy TGIF, Everyone! After receiving my second corrective action last week, it was strongly recommended by my HDSM that I sign up for the MP with my PC....and she even went so far as to threatened to submit a notation to HR if I didn't do the MP. I've spoken with some of the members in my primary group who told me it was a waste of time and didn't make a difference in their performance. I already knew this, which was why I wasn't gung ho about doing the MP. And after gett ...

Mentoring - Any Ideas Or Advice?
Mar 05, 2010

I am a recent grad and would like to start working part time however, I believe i need more experience in transcribing actual reports. I would like to have a "mentor" so that I can be more confident in my ability to transcribe and not be afraid to apply for a position as a medical transcriptionist. Can anyone give my any ideas or advice? ...

Mentoring A Recent MT Graduate
Apr 26, 2011

Hi! I was wondering if any one out there could mentor me or if they know a company out there does that? I graduated this past February from Kaplan University. I have been looking for job since then and I am unable to find an MT job that I can do from home. If anyone could help I would greately appreciate it. Sincerely, Tracie Hislop ...

Anyone Gone Throught This Mentoring Process Yet?
Apr 24, 2012

How exactly does it work.  Do we log into our reg accounts and they log in to so they can watch us work and tell us easier ways to do our job or how exactly do they do it?  ...

Just Finished An Hour Of Mentoring
Aug 13, 2012

Just finished an hour of being mentored.  It was great.  Mentor was very informative and helpful and also very nice.  Can't wait until our next session and can't wait for 7.1!! ...

Thoughts On The Mentoring To Get You To Use Shortcuts
Jan 11, 2013

Any thoughts on the mentoring to get you to use shortcuts and keeping track how many times you use them?  My line counts are well over the minimum, but I feel like I am being forced to use these, otherwise it reflects badly on me. ...

I'm Apparently The Only One...
Nov 24, 2009

I've been an MT for years (about 10).  I've worked subcontracting for many companies, local docs and my local hospital.  I've worked for probably 10 internet companies on a temp basis to help with overflow (usually covering summer vacations).  I've never had just one company, always several, so if one was out of work, another could provide.  Of all the companies I have worked for... I like MedQuist the best... I know I'm alone in this apparently, but ...

Well Apparently To Be An MT...
Aug 21, 2012

All you have to know how to do is type really fast.  At least that is what I've been told by a couple of staffing companies.  (I don't agree with this by they way).  Just thought it was odd that this is how medical transcription is viewed by some these days. ...

Apparently,
Nov 18, 2013

I have tried for over 3 hours today to make my "elecions" for insurance to NO avail.  Of course, no one answers the phone to help you OR responds to e-mail request for help.  How much more difficult can this be. When I hit the "submit" button NOTHING happens.  Screen locks up. I am surrendering this fiasco for tonight.   Hopefully, I can find somebody tomorrow that will help me.  Apparenlty, I am to dense to do this.  ARGH!!!!!! I just feel like everything ...

Apparently We Are On Our Own
Mar 05, 2014

So we get the email today that the QC is overloaded with her job and to please utilize the style guide and BOS and other Mmodal goodies rather than calling or emailing her. You know Mmodal/Shaw, if we actually were allowed to contact other MTs on our same accounts we wouldn't need to contact our QC every time the client decides to make exceptions for each doctor and it never gets added to the CP or we just cannot figure out what that doc is saying. But apparently we are truly on our o ...

My Mentoring Phone Call Is Tomorrow
May 06, 2012

My mentoring phone call is tomorrow. Does everyone get a mentor as well? What do they talk about? I have a list of questions for her but they're mainly about complaints. I'm even going to ask if I can't do my job good enough, then they should do it themselves or even send it back to India. I want to know if this mentoring program is the first step in my being fired. I'm very concerned about my job and maybe I shouldn't ask these questions, but the way they treat us ...

Apparently I Am 100% ASR Now. I Made
Dec 07, 2010

$30 less today than when it has been mixed straight and ASR typing and it has been the longest day of my life.  I have eaten more, got up more.  I cannot sit still.  If this is supposed to be "easier" on us than typing, they are full of hooey.  ...

Wow - Apparently Transcend DOES Pay Well!
May 14, 2011

http://people.forbes.com/profile/susan-mcgrogan/80763   Susan McGrogan // President and Chief Operating Officer Transcend Services, Inc. Atlanta ,  GA Sector: HEALTHCARE  /  Medical Practitioners Officer since August 2006   44 Years Old Susan McGrogan has served as our President since August 2009, as our Chief Operating Officer since February 2007 and Senior Vice President of Operations between August 2006 and February 2007. Ms. McGrogan joined us in Ja ...

Wow - Apparently MQ Pays Well, Too!
May 14, 2011

http://www.aflcio.org/corporatewatch/paywatch/ceou/database.cfm?tkr=MEDQ&pg=6 CEO Pay Database Peter MasanottiPresident and Chief Executive Officer MEDQUIST INC (MEDQ)Headquarters: MOUNT LAUREL, NJBusiness Services 2009 Compensation   2009     Salary $500,000 Bonus $0 Value of Stock Awards $0 Value of Option Awards $0 Non-Equity Incentive Plan Compensation $700,000 Change in Pension Value and Deferred Compensati ...

I Would Like To Have Someone Who Is Apparently More Enlightened Sm
May 26, 2015

than I am, to explain to me how, when I am told to take my lph divided by 2 and my overall lines for the day and divide by 2, how we are getting paid for all the lines we do.  I'm curious how that is explained so people see that they are actually getting paid for all the lines. For example, I am told that I need to figure C-LPH which is basically my lph divided in half.  So if I am able to edit 250 lph, for the grid that is equivalent to 125 clph.  Then my total lines are di ...

Our Wonderful ASR. Apparently, Since It Still
Jun 23, 2015

cannot figure out the word Xarelto even though it's seen it corrected tens of thousands of times by now, it has decided that word is "femoral tunnel."  Not even remotely close!  The doctors/administrators who are drooling over the thought of VR cutting us out would be in shock to see what it actually cranks out. ...

The Dangers Of So-Called Free Mentoring Programs
Mar 07, 2010

Every year there are a few people who start free or for-charge mentoring programs. Stay away from them if they have you transcribing work that they are critiquing. Mentoring is advising, supporting, encouraging, but not having you do their transcription for them for free. Because of privacy issues, you also would be well advised not to send any of your transcription to a 3rd party for help. There are all sorts of red flags. Just be careful. Over the years many of these free programs have turned ...

Question For All MTs', Especially Trained By Mentoring Process And Did Your Time In The Trenche
Apr 29, 2010

Hi, I'm a former Acute Care Transcriptionist who has 12 years hospital, 2 years clinical experience including not cherry-picking and found out years later that their most experienced transcriptionist refused to do an account I was put on due to the ESL ratio.  They did try to make me feel like I was the one who was stoopid, etc..... aside from that....I retired from this profession to home-school my children full-time, be a wife and mother...hubby is very high maintenance.... Any ...

Apparently, Transcend Is Initiating Something
May 06, 2012

M Modal cesspool, but not quite that bad.  They are prioritizing stats from all of your secondary accounts in front of your primary, making it harder obviously to produce lines.  Did anyone get the email about this?  I am wondering if this is a Nuance thing that is now being introduced?   I know why companies do this, it is to their benefit, and they care nothing about us, but it just infuriates me as another kick in the face to MTs and lack of caring about anything but ...

Apparently According To TCM We May Have To Make Schedule Changes
Feb 28, 2013

I have made 3 schedule changes in the last year and I think I am pretty much done.  It seems that they are working with capacity planning to insure work for everyone so guess what that means..mandatory schedule changes once again.  So sick of this. Quit hiring, then maybe we wouldn't need mandatory schedule changes. Just a thought! ...

So Apparently ONE SINGLE TIME Of ...
Oct 18, 2013

Coming in above 15% in our proficiency statistics will earn us Mentoring.  My kids were out of school for fall break so I had a lot of distractions that week but I'm seeing that it only takes ONE week before they consider you "mentoring material". Last week, I was at 4%.    ...

My Coworker Quit - Apparently W/o Notice
Jun 18, 2012

I have watched with horror what you transcribed.  You have moved on.  I wish I could publicize your name and warn every MTSO in the sound of my voice about the destruction you cause.  If anyone deserves having their keyboard banned for life, it is you.  It's time you retire and stop desroying lives.  Thank you for the chance to give the clients a better report now that you are gone. ...

Apparently I Qualify For Their Health Insurance.
Jul 03, 2013

I also am wondering how much would be taken out of my check for the health insurance for just myself. Thanks! ...