A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Comma placement? - JF

Posted: Apr 27, 2012

I get these types of sentences constantly and always question my comma placement.

"We will see her back in the office following her injection and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time."

My question is whether there should be a comma either before or after "and." I know a comma needs to separate 2 independent clauses but the introductory phrase in the second clause throws me off.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :)

I would...sm - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
put the comma after the and. If she does not improve is a phrase that just adds extra information. You need the and to connect the clauses so the sentence makes sense. In other words, any phrase enclosed in commas should be able to be left out of a sentence and the sentence would still make sense. If you enclosed "and if she does not improve" in commas and read the sentence without that phrase, it wouldn't be very "readable."

I'm sure there will be those who disagree. ; )

I agree - JF

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks! I agree with you. That is usually where I put the comma. I just needed confirmation, and your explanation makes perfect sense.

I'll disagree for argument's sake (sm) - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
"We will see her back in the office following her injection(,) and if she does not improve, we would consider surgical intervention at that time."

I would put the comma before the and. Your way makes the sentence say they WILL consider surgery when she goes back to the office, but what is actually said is that the surgery will be considered only if she doesn't improve.

Excellent point - JF

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you!

agree - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
We will see her back in the office following her injection, and if she does not improve we would consider surgical intervention at that time.

I Put A Comma When - ...there is a subject after=subject being "she."

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Comma Placement
Apr 12, 2011

I know a comma is to be placed after the year, i.e., On March 27, 2011, she underwent an operation.  But, what about when formatted this way?  3/27/2011?  Do you still place a comma after the year? TIA! ...

To Comma Or Not To Comma, That Is The Question
Dec 03, 2011

Hi, Does a comma belong in this sentence? "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity, consistent with fatty infiltration." -OR- "The liver is enlarged and demonstrates diffuse increased echogenicity consistent with fatty infiltration." Thanks! ...

Placement Of Something
Jan 02, 2010

I am hearing a new one on emergency room reports.  They are saying what sounds like "An INT was placed."  What is the INT?  It is placed with cardiac monitors and such. ...

S/l *cosoft* Placement
Jun 28, 2010

Patient underwent dental prosthetic implant with s/l *cosoft* placement, which will be removed at his postop visit ...

Reservoir Placement??
May 16, 2011

A Ommaya reservoir placement for this treatment is there for a requested ___ technique.   words sounds like trait somewhat but is muffled....any ideas? Thank you! ...

Placement Change
Jan 04, 2012

If they offer you a "placement change" (which sounds a little fishy since all of the regions have no work as far as I can tell)...do you have to accept the change if it means a schedule change (i.e. shift)????  Why should we have to change our shifts????? Geez.... ...

PICC Line Placement
Mar 15, 2010

A s/l nominate wire was inserted through the needle and the needle was removed. ...

Review Of A Job Placement Company
Sep 03, 2010

Does anyone know anything about a job placement company called "Remote Contractor Job Placement Svc"  (RCJPS)?? ...

On Arterial Line Placement...
Nov 09, 2011

...it sounds like he is saying "after "ziering" of the sensor, appropriate waveforms were noted.  Is "ziering" right? ...

Correct Placement Of X (for Times).
Jan 30, 2013

Should there be a space or no space between the x and the number? Is there a reference to this anywhere or just personal preference? Ex: p.o. x1 or p.o. x 1 ...

Richter Reservoir Placement?
Apr 01, 2015

Patient being treated for choroid plexum carcinoma with 'richter' reservoir placement? ...

Comma Or No Comma!
Oct 17, 2009

PROCEDURE Total Thyroidectomy, complications bibasilar discoid atelecatasis with probable pneumonitis. Is there a comma, other punctuation or no punctuation?? Any and all help appreciated   ...

Comma/and
Feb 25, 2010

I'm just a little confused as to how to use comma/and combination?  apples, rasperries, and pears OR apples, rasperries and pears Recently I was told that "and" is the comma.  I thought the AHDI standard was comma before and.  ...

Need Comma Help
Mar 06, 2010

Hi everyone, No I'm not post happy, but I do have a few questions that I feel need to be answered. I am having a hard time with commas. When I did a transcription test (none medical) for a transcription service, I got my test back and it was all marked up and they said it was mostly punctuation errors, like commas. Can anyone suggest how I can overcome my comma problem so I don't fail anymore transcription service tests? I was really embarrassed to get my test back because it wasn� ...

Comma Help!
Mar 20, 2010

Past medical history includes a transient ischemic attack treated since that time with aspirin. Comma after attack?? I'm thinking no comma..... ...

Comma?
Jul 13, 2010

"Each time the hernia would protrude he would have significant discomfort." Do I need a comma betweed protrude and he?   ...

Comma With NOS
Dec 07, 2011

Mood Disorder NOS or Mood Disorder, NOS   Thanks! ...

Comma Or No Comma
Jul 25, 2012

When the sentence begins with "From _____ standpoint" - Should there be a comma after "standpoint?" From a cardiology standpoint, he is clear for surgery. OR From a cardiology standpoint he is clear for surgery. Thank you.   ...

Comma Or No Comma?
Sep 12, 2012

On 07/25/2012 the patient underwent whatever. On 07/25/2012, the patient underwent whatever. One QA says comma, another QA says no comma.  Can anyone reference this for me? Thx!!!!   ...

Comma In As Well As
Mar 20, 2013

Please advise on commas in "as well as".  I think it should only be one prior to like; "She is on some probiotics, as well as some natural hormone substitutes." Thanks! ...

Comma Help Thank You
May 03, 2013

On 05/03/13, I asked a question about using commas. On 05/03/13 I asked a question about using commas. Which one is correct? Thanks. ...

Comma Or Not?
Mar 20, 2014

The patient is a whatever-year-old male who was seen today for whatever.  OR The patient is a whatever-year-old male, who was seen today for whatever. ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Hemodialysis Catheter Placement Question
Aug 20, 2010

...hemodialysis catheter was then tunneled subcutaneously from the upper right chest to the ____ site.   ____otomy s/l - denotomy   phlebotomy site?  I don't hear phle though. I so appreciate anyone who can help.  I am ill today and not thinking straight. also.  0.018 ___ guidewire  (does not sound like "inch" - s/l:  "nine one wire" Thanks!!!! ...

PICC Line Placement - S/l Anestasol
Sep 21, 2010

I am transcribing a report for a PICC line placement and at the end the doctor says that he places what s/l anestasol Steri-Strips. a-nest-a-sal. Anestasol Steri-Strips were applied.  He could mean anestasol and Steri-Strips but he doesn't say that (which of course does not mean the "and" is not needed!!).  Anyone know what this should be?  Thanks! ...

Concerning Placement Of A Stage 2 InterStim Lead..
Apr 26, 2011

A needle was passed into the S3-4 foramen.  Testing showed a a good s/l *bell-low*...  Patient has urinary incontinence, urgency and frequency, it that helps any.  thanks!     ...

Remote Contractor Job Placement Services
Oct 09, 2012

Does anyone know anything about this company? I sent my resume and got a response right away. It seems like they might be a 'head hunting' agency for transcription of different sorts. They want me to pay a one time fee of 75.00 to join and then have contact with all of their clients for jobs. I'm a little leery about them, so what does eveyone think? Any thoughts are appreciated - positive or negative..... Thanks! ...

Comma Troubles
Jan 28, 2010

Doctor diagnosed tachycardia, atherosclerotic heart disease, post angioplasty for coronary heart disease, history of alcohol abuse, and asthma.  I'm confused... should there be a comma between disease and post angioplasty? Plz help.    ...

Thanks For All The Comma/and Help Family
Feb 27, 2010

Now I have another one:  first or 1st? First metatarsal, or 1st metatarsal First rib, or 1st rib When should you use first and when should you use 1st?  Thanks family! ...

Freakin Comma
Apr 06, 2010

I have a dictator who is on 100% QA.  I just had a chart returned to me because even though my QC said it was correct use of the comma, the dictator did not want the comma in there.  Ok, so now I will give him NO commas anywhere unless he says "comma."  For the love of God, can we EVER have a standard and consistent way of doing things and not let doctor so-and-so from here get this and doctor so-and-so from here get that. I guess I am just so OVER i ...