A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

How to find a job just after graduating - Kristin

Posted: Feb 15, 2010

Hello!  I was hoping someone could give me some pointers or ideas on where I could get my first job as a MT.  Does anyone know of any companies that are inclined to give newbies their first chance?  Are there any transcription jobs, not necessarily medical, that one could get easier to build experience?  If anyone has any comments please let me know.  Thank you.

jobs - hard to find

[ In Reply To ..]
MT jobs are few and far between right now and probably always will be.

First check with your school to see if they offer any help, which they should if it is an accredited school.

Transcription jobs, unless they are medical will not give you the experience you will need to get an MT job later.

You may want to check with you local hospital or clinic to see if you can do some overflow for them, it is rather difficult to start out working from home without some supervision/assistance from an in-house facility.

I have 35 years experience and I will be looking for a job soon, as my work is just getting less and less every day as my facility is going to EMR and only ER reports are left anymore and very few of them.

Just keep practicing, and redoing some of your work assignments to keep up on your transription. Check out MTjobs.com MTdaily.com for any possible openings.

Check the job seeker's board on this forum for any possibilities as they sometimes hire newbies, but you need to keep up on that almost daily to catch these few jobs quickly.

Things are not as easy in this profession anymore. If I was not almost 60 years old, I would definitely be back in school, but for what, that is the question.

Also you should check the new mt board for comments there too; that will have more information than the rest of the boards here.
Good luck.

For what, that is the question. If you think of something that is doing well - Let us know

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm serious. If you can think of any career that is doing well right now with a stinking economy, would you post it? I would love to know. I'm happy doing what I do, but I know people who aren't.

Hi, Kristen, you could first google up "companies who hire new MTs" and ....sm - Cyndiee

[ In Reply To ..]
you will see several links that will at least give you some places to investigate. Watch all adds on forums, and also in local papers. On MT Daily (mtdaily.com), if you go to the home page, go to the link entitled "MT FAQs" and go to question #11, there are also lists and links to follow. You really, really have to be diligent, I used to just cold call, post my resume on appropriate sites, and do everything I could do to find a "way in."

I will say this; I have mentored new MTs for years (I am now about 25 years into the field), and even though so much is done online now, I cannot say enough about the value of getting started either in-hospital, where they can teach and mentor you and you can learn from older MTs (because the books and tapes don't BEGIN to train enough for this field), or in a clinic, ER group, or even doctor group practices. The more experience the better, and even though I paid for my associates degree, I cannot put a pricetag on the learning I did from others and and doctors on the job.

Some MT job areas to explore are http://www.getmedicaltranscription.com, a site for such jobs many specifying if they take newbies on, http://www-transcription.net, (small subscription fee but GREAT JOBS), http://www.simplyhired.com, and a few more I cannot think of but will try.

All my best to you and all new MTs; us "oldies" will have to retire some day, right?? (already had a carpal tunnel surgery on one side, lol!). Take Care!

You do it the same way as looking for any other kind of job - Apply everywhere

[ In Reply To ..]
If you were applying for a job as a web site designer, for example, you would apply with hundreds, maybe even thousands of potential employers before you find a job, and that's if you have experience. It's no different with MT. It takes the same amount of work that it takes to find any other kind of job. I don't mean this sarcastically in the slightest, but they aren't giving out any kind of jobs these days. You really have to work for them. Look at the numbers of jobless and homeless people. Develop a system and go after that job. Nobody is going to do it for you. Those other jobs that might build experience aren't going to be any easier to find either, so that isn't the answer. If your training was poor or you can't pass employment tests, you may not find anything, but you won't know until you try. I'm sure you have tried, but these days you have to put a lot more effort into any kind of job search than a few years ago, or even last year. The country has a jobs problem, as I'm sure you've noticed. Don't look for an easy way out, because those no longer exist.

Similar Messages:

Remote Job After Graduating
Mar 28, 2013

I'm curious how many of you graduated from your medical coding/billing course and found a job to work remotely?  I'm currently a transcriptionist looking to enroll in a coding/billing course, but will not be able to work onsite to gain experience that most of these companies are wanting.  I've been doing some research and most of them want you to have 3 years onsite experience.  I will need something remotely after graduation.  I thought I would check here and ...

At-home Professions - Job Placement After Graduating?
Jan 20, 2010

I am currently taking an MT course through At-home professions schooling and was wondering of anyone else that went through the program. How did you like or dislike it and was there job placement after graduating? ...

Graduating October 30, 2012 Looking For Work
Oct 02, 2012

I will be finished with school at the end of this month. Does anyone hire recent grads? How can I get into the field if everyone wants to hire only those with experience? I could use some help on this. Please let me know if anyone has any advice. Thank you, ***** ...

Oh, Great Just What I Needed To See So Close To Graduating
Nov 30, 2012

Before I get jumped on for trying to "stir the pot", I  come to this forum quite often.  I am a medical transcriptionist and am almost done with my coding course.  I will be taking the CPC sometime in January or February.  However, upon doing research on obtaining a coding job after graduating, I came across this.  Of course the date is 2011, but it's still fairly recent.  This is from the AAPC forum board.  My heart literally sank when I saw this.  O ...

What Ways Can I Continue To Grow In Skills After Graduating?
Jul 13, 2010

Hello fellow MT's! I am almost finished with my MT course, and I would like some counsel from everyone on their experiences with continuing education after graduation. First I am going to go for my RMT as recommended by the ADHI. What tools and resources did you use that helped? Which ones do you recommend? Has anyone gotten a degree to enhance their knowledge, and if so, what degree? I have recently been discharged after 8 yrs in the Army and I have been studying in my ...

I Can't Find The AHIMI Salary Survey. Anyone Know Where I Can Find This?
Dec 20, 2011

TIA ...

Cant Find Help....
Dec 18, 2009

Hello again,   So this test the doc speaks of i cant find anywhere.... "reduction enforced dispensatory capacity (FDC)"  I ve searched hi, and low and everywhere I can think, and I cant find anything.    any help?   ...

Is There A Way To Find Out...
Mar 02, 2010

which MTSO took over the transcription from another MTSO?  For example, if company A typed for a hospital, but the hospital didn't renew their contract and went to company B, can you find out the name of company B? ...

Does Anyone Else Find It Odd
Jun 16, 2010

When companies post a job for a transcriptionist with good "grammer"?? ...

Where Can I Find The BOS?
Jun 25, 2010

Where can I find the BOS?  Tried, but can't seem to locate it.  Thanks. ...

Can't Find It --
Sep 01, 2010

It sounds like 'feena-chietti' sign used along with Lachman's sign for testing the knee. Any ideas?  TIA. ...

Do Any Of You Find That You Are
Jun 18, 2011

actually faster if you type the report instead of editing with VR?  I have found that sometimes if I type the report myself from scratch, but leave the "speech edited" report at the bottom for reference, I am actually faster.  So, even though I am not making as much per line as I would for a straight typing account, for some jobs (and some days), I make more by completely typing the job myself.  I make 0.516 cpl for editing.  And in someways I feel I need to type sometimes t ...

Anyone Know Or Know How I Can Find Out?
Dec 02, 2010

When you quit, when does your health insurance coverage end?  The last day you work?  Or the last day of your last month? My CCM isn't answering me and every time I try to look on MQ Central it slows to a crawl and I can't find anything. Thanks in advance!   ...

How Do I Find Out Who's Above My CCM?
Jan 07, 2011

I know I wrote this information down somewhere but apparently I lost it.  I need a 500 page notebook to keep all the CCM info straight - new CCM, new page.  Anyway, I've been emailing my current CCM a question all week and she won't answer.  I don't know if I can search for this information on the MQ website or not.  I looked a little bit but didn't get anywhere.  I can't talk to her on the phone because she irritates the %&*& out of me. ...

Okay, Here's Another One I Cannot Find...sm
Mar 14, 2011

I know there's S-shaped scoliosis.  That's easy enough to find.  How does one hyphenate "reverse S shaped scoliosis" ?  I want to go with reverse-S-shaped, but that looks a little awkward.  Any thoughts?  Thanks for any help!  ...

In The BOS Where Would I Find Whether To Use
Sep 03, 2011

Hodgkin's lymphoma or Hodgkin lymphoma, Down's syndrome or Down syndrome, Crohn's disease or Crohn disease.  I know there is a rule but can't remember to save my life! ARG!  I need a huge pile of chocolate! ...

Can't Find
Sep 08, 2011

Sentence is: Tylenol and NSAIDS are no longer s/l apa-kay-shush. I don't think it is a medical word, means the medications are no longer helping but I can't find this word anywhere! Any suggestions anyone? ...

Can Someone Tell Me Where To Find....
May 28, 2012

the policy on when there is no work available during your scheduled shift, especially on holidays?   Thanks! ...

I'm Sure It Was Sent But I Can't Find It ...
Jun 03, 2012

Does anyone know the LAST DAY for open enrollment?  ...

Need To Find New Mt Job
Aug 03, 2013

My husband has a 98% chance of relocating for his job.  Right now I have the perfect transcription job onsite.  However, I know I will have a hard time finding a job onsite when we move and i am considering the work at home option.  I have done it before and my kids were younger, so i know that there can be problems with availability of work.  I must admit that I am spoiled to first shift, but I know that I will probably have to work second shift.    My purpose in ...

So What Do You Do When You Can't Find A Job?
Sep 29, 2013

I just ran out of my unemployment benefits and I have not found a job. I look for a job everywhere, but I can't stand or walk for very long, so I can't get a job where you have to stand or walk. Nobody is hiring me, too much competition on line. I have no more money and no where to go. I mean I have no where to go, nor do I want to go. Don't want to move in with my ex-boyfriend, he tries to control me. Don't want to move in with my son and his wife, they lost their house and ...

How To Find GP?
Apr 08, 2015

I'm learning editscript when I couldn't understand the GP name dictated. I've gotten a few errors back saying that the GP name was in the header. I don't see it anywhere. I see a drop down for speaker and signing clinician. I can search for the name but if I can't hear it well enough to know what initials I should search for....is there something else I should be checking? They aren't giving me any info about it. Thx for any help.   ...

Saw A Post And Can't Find It Now About
Feb 17, 2010

I know exactly the company you are talking about and have wondered the same thing. The person who wrote the rules must not have a full understanding of the VR program. At this company, we are supposed to adhere to the account specifics to a T if we type on the account, but if we get a VR job on that same account we are supposed to ignore the account specifics and leave it as VR puts it unless there are blatant errors. That makes NO SENSE. Why not train VR correctly in the first place so the repo ...

Very Interesting Find...
Mar 22, 2010

http://www.complaintsboard.com/complaints/andrews-school-for-medical-transcription-c183013.html ...

Is Is Possible To Find A PT MT Job At Just 10 Hours
Jun 09, 2010

per week?  I work FT but my pay has been cut and I need to find PT work.  I think all I could handle would be 10 hours a week.  I could do this on weekends, 5 hours each.  Is this a fantasy?  Do companies want 20 hours per week?  Anyone work a job less than 15 hours a week?  TIA.  :) ...

Where Do I Find My Pay Stub?
Jun 25, 2010

I have direct deposit and am wondering......do they send me a paper pay stub or is there somewhere I can look to see this information? TIA   ...

Will I Be Able To Find Work? HELP!!!
Sep 15, 2010

I am brand new to doing med. transcription as a full-time job, I am reading alot of negative post about this field. I wanted a job to be able to be home with my children and earn a decent income as well. I am open to ANY advice. I have transcribed for quite some time but never for an office or company, I have done work for a few friends that are transcriptionist and then decided to seek training in the profession. I enjoy it immensely and hope I have made a good choice for me and my family. ...

Cannot Find This Abbreviation...
Sep 26, 2010

The doctor dictates, HEENT: PDRLUMI, otherwise unremarkable. Should I break this acronym into smaller segments? I cannot find this acronym on the internet. Does anyone know what it stands for? Thanks for your time and expertise. ...

Help! Newbie Trying To Find FIRST JOB!
Oct 06, 2010

I am a new MT looking for my first job, I have a lot of secretarial experience in addition to MT training. It seems like all the jobs want 2 years of experience. Are there internship programs out there? I noticed AHDI offers continuing ed classes, would that help? Thanks so much for any advice. ...

Cannot Find A Job For Decent Pay.
Jun 16, 2011

I have been unemployed for about a year now.  MQ took over my hospital and thus the entire transcription department was eliminated.  Even the union could not keep this monster out.   About 15 of us lost our careers.   I have looked into several positions and cannot find any company that will pay me even 80% of what I am taking home on unemployment benefits!!!  At 58 years of age I am too young to retire but perhaps too old to learn something new.  ...