A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Medical transcription school - Penn Foster ? - grannieof1

Posted: Jan 02, 2011

I am new to this site. I am thinking about training to become a MT but very confused about schools I have checked on. The school I am leaning towards is Penn Foster, but the price is much cheaper than all the others. I want to get all I can from the course. If anyone has done the MT course with them let me know what you thought about it. Thank You

Research first... - x

[ In Reply To ..]
If you want to be able to test for companies and find employment after graduation, you MUST research first and not choose a school based on the cost of the program. You can go to the AHDI website and find their list of approved schools, but the 3 main ones known for producing WORKING graduates are M-TEC, Andrews, and CareerStep. Good luck!

Penn Foster - Lil

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't do it! I did but at the time it was called Harcourt. It's not enough schooling to get you into a job. You're much better off going with a place like Career Step were MT is the main focus (unlike accounting, car repair, etc that Penn Foster offers). When you finish the course and have no experience, finding a job is difficult, but I understand a lot of places will hire a new grad from Career Step just based on the school's reputation. I had already paid for my course and started it when I found out about Career Step, otherwise I would have gone that route, but $$$ was an issue. Luckily I got hired into a small office and had one-on-one mentoring. Otherwise I don't think the education I had would have been enough. Of the bit MT school, it seems Career STep is cheapest and not that much more than Penn Foster. Much luck to you.

Don't choose CareerStep - Randy

[ In Reply To ..]
Choose Andrews or M-TEC, where they have actual instructors, not an answer key, to mentor you. Yes, CareerStep is adequate in a very average kind of way, but who wants to be average?

Grannie of 1 - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't waste your time/money with Penn Foster. It is imperative that whichever school you choose uses the SUM program. I am a former MTSO and I can tell you, I have never been impressed with Penn Foster. I consider it to be a "lightweight." That is just my opinion and some people may love it, and that is fine. I am always sad when people choose a school based on "cheap." Remember that old saying "You get what you pay for?" Please speak to the people at both Andrews and M-TEC. (I am affiliated with neither, but have been very impressed with their grads.) They are both good, decent, legitimate schools. Andrews is the Harvard of the MT world. Avoid the matchbooks (and semi-matchbooks) like the plague. In today's economy with so much competition, you will be up against Andrews grads, M-TEC grads, CareerStep grads. If I had the choice between an Andrews or M-TEC grad or a Penn Foster grad, guess who would win? Truth is, I doubt I would even interview someone from a school that was not SUM-based in its approach. Remember, this is an INVESTMENT for you. Just as you would not buy a shoddy house, don't spend your money on a less than adequate course. One thing that you might do is call a recruited for a company you would like to work for and ask them if they routinely hire grads from whatever school you are considering. That will tell you a lot. Best wishes to you.

Similar Messages:

Is Penn Foster MT School Any Good?
Dec 31, 2009

I started transcription a bazillion years ago before they were even any schools around.  My daughter now wants to get into it and is looking at Penn Foster.  Is their program any good or is there a better one out there that would help make it easier to find a job when she gets out? Thank you in advance :) ...

Penn Foster Coding And Medical Billing Program?
Jan 29, 2015

Hello, Just wanting opinions/experiences with Penn Foster's Training Program Coding and Medical Billing. Thanks in advance. ...

Penn Foster Schools
Jan 04, 2010

I am currently finishing my schooling from Penn Foster and I guess I didn't do enough research before I signed up for Penn Foster and now I'm regretting it. Ever since I've been hearing all the negative comments about Penn Foster I don't even want to finish the course even though I am on the last lesson. Just getting discouraged and want to know if anyone took Penn Foster courses and found a job. Totally new on this whole MT thing and if you have any information about getting ...

Penn Foster Course And Employment ?
Sep 05, 2010

Has anyone completed the Medical Transcription course at Penn Foster and has successfully gained employment? ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates?
Apr 28, 2011

Are there any Penn Foster graduates? ...

Mt Training With Penn Foster
Apr 17, 2013

Would anyone care to share their experience with Penn Foster online mt career traing? Thanks. ...

Are There Any Penn Foster Graduates Working Right Now?
Sep 19, 2010

Are there any Penn Foster graduates working right now.  Please tell me your story. ...

Medical Transcription School Recommendations?
Jun 22, 2010

I am very interested in narrowing down my current work experience and specializing in one field.  I have no idea on what school I should go with for a CMT diploma/certificate.  Can anyone guide me or have any great experiences with a school?  I am looking for an online school if they are worth paying the money.  This field would be fairly new to me so I need a full course of all the necessary and required courses to be marketable to a new company for job placement.  Thanks for any suggestio ...

Medical Transcription - Good School ?
Sep 12, 2010

Hi. i    want to know if anyone    know  of a good school for medical  transcription   i've been looking online but  don't knoe what  school to choose. I want a school that have internships.  Thanks! ...

What Is Best Medical Transcription School Online
Nov 27, 2011

Hi, I would like to know what is the best online medical transcription school. Thanks in advance for reply. dce ...

Medical Transcription School - Reputable And Not A Rip-off?
Feb 18, 2013

Can anyone tell me which MT schools are reputable and not a rip-off?  I'm asking for a friend who is interested in getting into the field.  I started so many years ago that I've never had to get certified, so would appreciate any info.  Thanks! ...

Medical Transcription School Has Left Me A Little Unnerved
Feb 14, 2010

I recently had an experience with an MT school that has left me a little unnerved.  Therefore, I have a couple of questions for those who are currently attending school or have completed an MT program.  Were you provided statistics about the number of actual graduates?  Schools can have a lot of enrollees but it’s my opinion that the number of actual graduates matters. Were you provided any information about the qualifications of your instructors?  My next question is for the experienced M ...

Finding An Online Medical Transcription School To Go To
Aug 09, 2011

ok so i really need some help. I want to be a mt but i'm having a hard time finding an online school to go to. Just when i think i've picked one, i see a bunch of bad reviews for it or that it isn't really accredited. Also, i was wondering if you really get paid as much as it says on the internet.. ...

Who Would Have Copy Of Medical Transcription Certificate School Closed
Apr 12, 2010

Hi, I need my transcription certificate from Tennessee Career College which I graduated from in 2006. The school is now closed and I have misplaced original certificate. Who would have a copy of that. The Dept of Education? Thanks Lesnbek ...

Is At Home Professions A Good School For Medical Transcription?
Jan 25, 2011

Is At Home Professions a good school for medical transcription?  I read that it is not AHDI certified.  What does that mean? ...

I Want Your Opinion About Career Step Online Medical Transcription Course Or Any Other School Which
Jan 19, 2011

can anybody tell me about good online medical transcription school. ...

Best School To Go To For Medical Billing
Jan 25, 2013

I currently am working at a nursing home as the office manager and the company is wanting to bring the billing inhouse, having me do it. I have done some billing in the past, but would definitely need a refresher! Thanks in advance! ...

Disappointment In Allied Medical School
Jan 25, 2010

I am so deeply disappointed in Allied Business School/Medical School. I am so deeply disappointed in AIM/**** who never lived up to her end of a business deal.   I have wasted so much time and money in attempting to become a Medical Transcriptionist.   I'd rather clean toilets. Anonymous   **** Do not identify individuals. Moderator **** ...

Andrews School And Medical Coding
Jul 29, 2012

Andrews School and Medical Coding.  Is this a good program. ...

Good Medical Coding School
Jun 13, 2013

Hi, does anyone out there know of good medical coding schools, either in school or online, perferrably online.  Heard of The Andrews School?  Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance.  Minny ...

I Am Too Old To Start The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Feb 07, 2012

Dear Friends: I am 55 and I am a transcriptionist of almost 11 years and I want to switch carreers and am choosing medical coding and want to enroll in the Andrew's School.  Do you think I am too old to start a new career? I do not think so, but I would like some thoughts. I am healthy and I know I can do it.  Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for your time.  Fondly, Suzie ...

Going Back To School And Getting Certified As A Medical Assistant
Mar 24, 2014

I have been in the field of Education for 23 yrs and have been an Administrator for the past 13. Due to the economy,  schools would rather hire those with no experience and pay them less than seasoned veterans like myself. I have 2 in college and a 10yr old I adopted at birth so I am far from retirement. I am considering going back to school and getting certified as a Medical Assistant (which would include Phlebotomy and X-ray tech) and Medical Billing/Coding or Transcription. I am currently un ...

Is There Any Prerequisite For The Andrews School Medical Coding Program
May 11, 2010

do they include anatomy? ...

YOU Went To Medical School, I Didnt Fill In My Blanks I Leave
Mar 11, 2012

Cant believe the crap they are dictating today..Must be the solar flare.  they make up drug names that could be one of maybe 3 possibilities..Im pretty sure I know which they need but Im not the DOCTOR,,I just play one on the computer..Im leaving the blanks let them figure it out..Do your jobs correctly for a change..Kind of makes you scared to ever have to go to a hospital for anything. ...

I Will Be 56 Tomorrow And I Would Like To Attend The Andrew's School For Medical Coding
Aug 27, 2012

Dear Friends: My name is Suzie and tomorrow I will be 56.  I would like your opinions as to whether you think I am too old to start studying for a new career in medical coding.  I 100% sure that I want to attend the Andrew's School for Medical Coding.  I have been a medical transcriptionist for 11 years having attended M-TEC and I love this profession, but I see that the career is shrinking and there are less opportunities.  I think my background as a transcriptionist wo ...

Bus Driver Said She Graduated From Medical Billing/coding School
Sep 25, 2012

and the reason she's driving a bus is because she hasn't been able to find a job as a coder since graduation. I asked her if she took her certification exam yet, and she said no. I didn't say anything but maybe this is the reason why she hasn't gotten hired yet. ...

I Am Putting In My Paperwork For The Andrew's School For Medical Coding And I Am Nervous
Oct 01, 2013

Hi Friends: My name is Suzanne and I am sending in my paperwork to enroll in the Andrew's School for Medical Coding and I am nervous.  I am nervous because I do know I can do it, but what about my age of 57.  I am too old for studying for this field?  I am a medical transcriptionist and have been for 12 years and I am a fast thinker and learner and I know I can do it, but what about the Affordable Care Act and the jobs being outsourced like medical transcription. Can you ...

Old School Transcription
Oct 05, 2011

I belong to the now dying breed of transcriptionists that still get paid by the hour and work for a great group of docs from home, as an employee. Now, voice recognition is threatening everything I know. I have worked in transcription for 32 years, started in pathology right out of high school! I wanted to let everyone know that I really, really appreciate all the input and conversation you have on this forum. It is a God send to a dinosaur like me. I was offered a job with MedQuist just ...

Medical Transcription At Home To Become A Medical Scribe?
Jan 20, 2015

Has anybody left medical transcription at home to become a medical scribe?  I have an opportunity to do so but there aren't any scribes currently in my area and I don't know anyone who has worked as a scribe before.  The scribe position starting pay is almost double what I make as an MT per hour so it is very tempting, I just don't know much about it. ...

54-year-old. Should I Go To School For Coding Or Stay In Transcription? Sm
Mar 05, 2010

At my age, should I try to go to school for medical biilling/coding or just stay wtih transcription or try another job (JoAnn Fabrics, etc.).  I am 54 and not sure what to do.  Any ideas out there?  If coding, what schooll(s) are good on-line or in AZ or OH?  Thanks! ...