A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Are posts on MT school forums all legitimate? - luvzminis

Posted: May 06, 2010

This might be a foolish question, but are all the posts on MT school forums for real?  I won't mention the school, but it seems that after several complaints about MT work, there's a sudden rush of "look how much money I'm making" posts.  Seems a little too good to be true.  Are there really people out there pulling in some good funds, or is this more like advertising for the school/MT industry?

Probably advertising. I think most MTs make - sm -

[ In Reply To ..]
less than 30K. I have been doing it for 8 years now, make about 20K working full-time. Granted a lot depends on your job, pay, accounts, etc. If you can land some good work with lots of macros you can make good money, but everything has to fall into place. I have one account that gives me 25 lines a report w/o even trying usually....have a normal for his ROS and PE that he uses almost every time that will give me 25 lines w/o typing a letter, the rest is straight typing though. I have a friend who had a great account, her bread and butter, all macros, very little actual typing as she had put much of it in her expander, etc. She recently lost the account to EMR unfortunately. --- But those ads and newbies saying they make $40K+ are really full of it.

What MT school forums are you talking about - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
Now you have me curious. Would you let me know either here or by e-mail if you don't mind? Thanks!

Before I get an answer on that, another comment - Linda Andrews

[ In Reply To ..]
It sounds like people on some school forum are saying that new graduates are making certain amounts, that seem a little inflated, and you are wondering if they are legitimate. I have no idea what school(s) or students, so I'll answer blindly.

I think it's the rare new graduate who makes more than $30,000 the first year. I do know some who went a little over that, but most don't.

To Luvminis - Linda Andrews has her own school so - she is only going to promote it - just so you kno

[ In Reply To ..]
She works overtime on this board trying to traffic everything to her and her business.
True, but . . . - LK
[ In Reply To ..]
She's doing people a favor in doing that, since it's widely known that her school is the best one out there these days, and that graduates of the Andrews school have the best shot at landing that first job in what has become a very difficult job market for new MT grads.
Regarding Linda Andrews - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I have never met Linda Andrews; however, I think to make accusations about her trying to traffic everything to her school are unfounded and unfair. I know about Linda Andrews because I have seen the quality of her students. The quality of their work speaks volumes about Ms. Andrews and her school and the integrity she brings to our profession. She has every right to be on this forum. Many times I have seen her offer help and encouragement to the hapless folks who have fallen prey to the matchbooks. If only all MT trainers/schools had as much integrity as Linda Andrews, we would not have so many brokenhearted people who cannot find jobs with their credentials which have come from questionable schools. Ms. Andrews is kind to everyone. How about extending a little kindness back?
I have to agree - ORMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I have hired newbies when I had my own accounts and the ones from Andrews and M-Tec were far more prepared for the real world of MT than the ones from less known schools. It seems ones from other schools needed far more coaching than I had time for (almost like hiring "off the street")and so were let go. It is sad so many get sucked into the "matchbook" schools because of price. It is true "you get what you pay for" when it comes to MT schools.
I could not agree with you more Old MTSO ... (sm) - Just sayin ...
[ In Reply To ..]
I have been transcribing for over 25 years, have never met Ms. Andrews and quite honestly did not know anything about her school until I found this site last year. In the times that I have seen her post here I have never seen her try and "traffic everything to her school." Quite the opposite as a matter of fact, I have seen her provide insight and much needed advice for new MTs and some old MTs, such as myself. I completely agree with you that these critics should try "extending a little kindness back" although after watching what happens on this board, I do not expect to see it happen.
for "just saying:" EMR, the boogie man, for many, - emr
[ In Reply To ..]
except for the clients, will to a vast extent eliminate the services of MTs.
This will also make MTSOs, the middlemen between MTs and the clients, obsolete as well as the MT schools, no matter how good they are.
Just sayin' - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
I think what we are seeing is a lot of frustration and people are acting out. It is understandable that people are frustrated (I am frustrated, too!) by the state of our profession, the state of our world, the lack of civility in general. For some, bashing on an anonymous board is an outlet. People are rightly concerned; there are not enough jobs and it is frustrating to be a newbie. I advised young people in my own family NOT to even consider MTing, not even if they could afford Andrews or M-TEC. Personally, I do not think the payoffs equal what people have to put into it these days. I am only grateful that I have slightly more than a year to work and then retire. My heart goes out to young people, especially to those who get taken in by the matchbooks. I have absolutely nothing to gain or to lose whether people enroll or do not enroll in any school, be it one of the good ones or one of the bad ones. I do think that people CAN find a way to get a decent education if they really want to. Too many people "settle." And that makes me sad. Nothing I can do for them except tell it like it is from someone who has been in the trenches a very long time and knows the territory. Meanwhile, I truly do believe in extending kindness. We have nothing to gain by being catty and much to be gained by being kind.
I just read that the jobless rate is now 9.9% - That may be why some are angry and rude
[ In Reply To ..]
There are always rude people, but the fact that approximately 1 out of every 10 people you see is out of a job apparently makes some people more disagreeable. Were people a little more civilized a few years ago when the economy was better? I'm trying to think back. I believe they were kinder to each other.
Jobless rate - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
That exactly proves what I was saying--people have A LOT to be stressed out about, even if they do have jobs. They have others in their families to worry about. I have a niece with two babies under two years whose husband was just laid off after ten years with his company. Another friend of mine is in foreclosure proceedings right now. Another friend (also an MT) recently went bankrupt through no fault of her own--the California housing market went south and as a single person, she could not keep up with the mortgage. When you take these examples and multiply them by many thousands upon thousands of other people, I can understand exactly why people are sometimes not at their best. I tend to cut people a lot slack these days, even when they are rude, because I do not know what their circumstances are. It really breaks my heart to see MTs out of work, especially the newbies who were misled by less than respectable companies ("You can make 40K a year effortlessly at home!") to think that MT was some kind of a golden goose and a panacea to all their needs (needs for childcare, need for money, etc.). These disreputable schools know very well what they are doing, but they do not care. They are like--who was it (I forget--I am getting old!) Cuba Gooding, I think it was, who say "SHOW ME THE MONEY!" That they would carry on this kind of expoitation in these economic times is reprehensible. I wish I could put my arms around every unemployed person and try to help them. I am an impossible idealist. I do what I can at a very, very micro level. Each week when I go to the grocery store, I get enough extra groceries to fill one bag for the food bank. Tomorrow the Postal Service is going to pick up food that people leave by their mailboxes and I have spent part of the afternoon making bags of groceries. The problem is so huge that sometimes it seems like individual efforts are the same as throwing another grain of hand into the Sahara desert. But if each of us gives/does what we can, I do believe it helps. Very few people can be like Bill Gates in his philanthropy, but people can always give--if not money or groceries, then time or just a smile. I cannot always give money, but from time to time I have tutored people who cannot speak English so that they can get a better job. This is one thing that costs me nothing and that I can offer. The one thing I do not understand is that I remember my mother (God rest her soul) telling me about the Great Depression of 1929 and how people all came together and helped each other. People would give food to those who knocked on their doors. I realize that we live in a different day and time, and--living in such a huge city--I do not open my door to unannounced unexpected visitors. But each person does what he or she can in whatever way they can. Sometimes a kind word or a smile can make all the difference in someone's day. I think this works whether we are vying for the same parking spot or whether we are having conversations on this board. Just my thoughts.....
what are YOU doing? You tell everybody to attend only - huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
the 2 most expensive schools, NOW, that almost NOBODY has money, or are you only talking to the affluent ones?

You forget to mention what the cpl will be for these A & M graduates, after spending at least $ 5,000--, I think now it is even more, tuition.

What is your answer now?

I say: MTing for US MTs is dead.

It sailed down to 3rd world countries and will be eaten up by EMR.

Aren't you thinking out of a box? Get out of the Andrews box. Open your windows and your mind.
What course costs $5,000? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Well said, thank you - Another wise old MT
[ In Reply To ..]
I also have discouraged friends and family from entering this profession. For those who persist, I tell them they really need to invest in the best education because it is very difficult to find a job fresh out of school, so why not invest in the schools companies are most likely to hire a newbie from.

I have a cousin who took a "matchbook" course and never did find a job (could not pass company tests) and a niece who went to a school with the SUM program and landed her first job just before graduating. They both found that a lot of companies only hire from certain schools because of the education that provides MTs ready for the real world of transcription.
Another wise old MT - Old MTSO
[ In Reply To ..]
What you say is absolutely right. And I would add that there are some so-called schools that are guaranteed death if they are on an applicant's resume. As the market constricts more and more, more and more companies are blackballing the matchbooks.
So, the advice of "old and wise MTSOs" is - aha !
[ In Reply To ..]
either you attend Andrews or M-TEC or forget about MTing, choose something else.

Soon EMR will gobble up Andrews and M-TEC.
not onlly EMR, also Medquist that is buying - future
[ In Reply To ..]
small companies that go bankrupt and is heavily into promoting offshoring.

Can Andrews and M-TEC weather (=endure)this with their high tuitions?
where am I? All what I read is: old, old, old, everywhere!? - Help ! LOL !
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Haha! there are special places for those people, called...! - huh?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
sb who does not have the means has to "SETTLE." - omg
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Andrews - see message - Anonymous
[ In Reply To ..]
Yes Linda does work overtime on these boards. She has one of her instructors planted on the coding/billing board. That person knows what she's talking about but that's kind of a sneaky way to go about it, IMO.
Andrews School - Schipperke
[ In Reply To ..]
Hey, folks! I don't understand the irritation with Linda Andrews or her staff being on these boards and offering honest information to wannabe or beginning MTs. Somebody's got to do it and I don't see the other schools out here doing it! That disappoints me. Yes, I'm a recent enrollee of Andrews but I did a ton of research before I chose to go there. Linda was upfront and honest with me about what to expect. I know it is going to be a difficult row to hoe but MT is what I want to do. I know that MT will change but there will always be a need for the education and knowledge a good MT has. That's my opinion and not from Linda. I for one really appreciate the school's presence on the board, it helped me make some difficult decisions.
Schipperke - Rocket Man
[ In Reply To ..]
I think all of the criticisms of Linda Andrews come from people who are jealous that their either:
1. Could not afford to go to Andrews.
2. Could not get admitted to Andrews.
3. Are just wannabes who would rather growl than do something with their lives.
Rocket Man correction - Rocket Man
[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I meant to say who are jealous that THEY, not THEIR. I don't want the grammar cops to get me! Honest error! :)-

nobody can pull the wool over my eyes... - plants

[ In Reply To ..]
these are definitely plants planted by the schools aimed to nip every doubt regarding the still so rosy future for MTs in the bud.

I can smell advertisements, especially misleading ones, a mile away. But you get a "nose" for those only when you are already in the business of MTing.

Schools - Eyes wide open

[ In Reply To ..]
I find this so comical about Linda Andrews and her "spies." LOL

Here is what I know from a few years' experience: Linda Andrews gave me free, thorough and honest advice when I did not even plan to attend her school and I was open about that. This was 7 years ago. I needed college credits so I attended Everett Community College and they utilize the Career Step curriculum. Otherwise, I would have attended Linda's school without a doubt. Next, not too long ago, I again solicited Linda's advice about entering the coding world (and would have attended her school), and she discouraged me b/c she didn't think I would like working outside of my home to gain enough experience (might have been other reasons, cannot recall now). Are you reading me? She DISCOURAGED me from attending her own school! Linda doesn't know me from Adam! LoL

This is another thing I know. If you do NOT attend her school, M-Tec or Career Step and spend the money on these schools, you are NOT going to get a job, not the type of job to be longlasting in this ever-changing world of transcription.

These are facts. There are LOTS of posts in this site by folks who have attended lesser schools and can now not find work. Call the companies you are interested in and find out what training they require and recognize. Then, you will know and believe for yourself! Don't invest money and time of your life to just waste it, especially if you believe you will enjoy this profession. It's not all good, but no profession is right now. Believe me. I have a bachelor's degree and cannot even teach in my area of the country b/c they have laid off so many teachers. It's crazy!!

Hope this is met with a helpful attitude b/c that is all I'm trying to be.

Schools - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, this was very helpful. I'm doing the Career Step coding program now. I know Andrews is a great school (I considered it) and I find the posts from the coding instructor helpful but it just seems to me that Andrews gets promoted a lot, particularly in the coding forum. Perhaps it is as good as all that, I don't have any experience with their programs. It's probably just me, but I have a problem with people who obviously have a vested interest in a particular program or school trolling the boards.

Similar Messages:

Another Day On The Forums
Jun 13, 2012

Someone will say she has no work and/or is only earning minimum wage.  Someone else will come in and claim to be making tons of money, tons! straight typing all day long, plenty of work.  The thread will turn ugly and get nuked.  Let's go! ...

Are The Forums Down
Aug 16, 2013

My friend on the east coast too can't access any of the forums. ...

Is This Term Legitimate One??
May 13, 2010

This is the description of the gestational history of a child with possible seizures. The pregnancy was complicated by incompetent cervix which required a cerclage and "breathing" medication" pronounced breathing as in to "take a deep "breath" with the ing on the end.  Is this a correct term? Tried searching it and either get nothing at all or meds related to asthma, copd, etc. ...

MTSOs Using What You Say On Forums Like This Against You
Jun 15, 2010

I'm not an MTSO, never was, and never would be if I could help it. In one of the threads below someone mentioned that some larger MTSOs hold it against someone if they post something on a forum like this. I put myself in the position of the MTSO for a moment. What would I do if someone contacted me and told me that one of the MTs that was working for me was trashing me on a public forum. I would go look at it. If I knew who they were, I wouldn't send them any additional work. It wouldn ...

Forums Question
Jul 09, 2013

It used to be, when I read notes on the forum, the subject line would turn a different color after I read them. That's not happening anymore, and I'm having trouble remembering what I read and what I didn't. ...

Other Coding Forums
Dec 26, 2013

Glad tidings to all!  Does anyone know of any other forums with info and insights on coding?  Not looking for AAPC or AHIMA forums, but other chat/group forums.  ...

Integrity HD Legitimate
Feb 26, 2014

I am wondering if there is anyone else who was recently hired by Integrity HD and if they are legitimate? ...

I Wish There Was A Like/dislike Button On These Forums! Nm
Apr 01, 2011

. ...

Paramidline - Legitimate Term?
Apr 20, 2011

I know what the doc means, but cannot find this term in any of my word books and online hits are sketchy. Thanks in advance! ...

A Legitimate Field Of Employment..,
Sep 20, 2011

Is this a legitimate field of study for a new career in medical language or just another school trying to get money?  I am a medical transcriptionist who stopped working to home school my two children.  I just do not want to waste my time as I really do not have it to waste.  I am trying to looking at various options,  currently, medical coding is winning out, but I had seen this on facebook and was wondering what your opinions were on this 'program'.  I know ...

Scams & Legitimate Company?
Feb 10, 2014

It is really sad that this business has gotten to the point where we have to question every company who posts and ad out here.  I remember when we could trust about anything put on this board in the job seekers board, now I am afraid to even apply to any of them because there are so many different names out there, this recruiter hiring for this company, another company hiring under a different name and then those who are just outright scams.  How do you know who to trust anymore when it comes ...

Transcription America Legitimate Company?
Jul 12, 2010

Is Transcription America (email address Job Interview - Job Network [jobinterview@transcription-america.com), regional recruiter Kimberly Carson, a legitimate online medical transcription company? ...

Transcription America - Legitimate Company
Sep 10, 2010

I had applied to transcriptionamerica.com. I received an email back from a Nancy Lawson, National recruiter asking me to transcribe a sample file. I did this and when I tried to email it back to the address that she sent it from, I keep getting a failed delivery notice saying that the person's inbox is full. Does anyone know if this is a legitimate company? And if so, do you know any other way that I can get in touch with them to email this sample back to them? Thank you so much! ...

I Was Just Over At Several Forums For Nurses And They Are Having Trouble Getting Jobs
Oct 30, 2011

One new nurse was told that her skills are stale and she needs to go through a "refresher" course, which costs $2,000 before she will be able to get a job. Another one has been looking for work for 6 months with no luck. I went over there to see if people in other kinds of work eat their young as MTs sometimes do. I thought maybe everyone else was happy and enjoying successful careers. Apparently not. These are tough times. I think sometimes we generalize so much that we depress each other. N ...

Text On Forums Showing Up Weak
Feb 12, 2015

Does anyone know why when I'm typing in the message field here, the font is coming out rather light and choppy? Example: Part of the "f" letter is missing. (All the letters have an issue.) This happens on my computer as well as another computer in my household--so it's not something with just my computer. The Subject field, Nickname/Alias field and E-mail field type out fine. The final product after physically submitting is showing up fine. ...

The Problem I Have Been Reading About On Blogs And Forums
Apr 14, 2015

I have noticed a trend in people who studied outpatient coding and realized it wasn't enough. It's not easy to find training in just inpatient, so those people appear to be stuck. They had the outpatient training, but aren't finding jobs as easily as if they had both outpatient and inpatient.  ...

Any Other VLC Students Having Problems With Accessing Grades,forums Etc.
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't got any feedback from instructors in weeks and any emails to them are returned with "permanent fatal errors". Found 2 other students with the same problem as of today. Would like to know if there are any others. If anyone is affiliated with the VLC school on here I would greatly appreciate some answers. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm nearing the end of the course and have invested $1500.oo and almost 2 years of my time. To wind up with nothing to show for it at ...

Nuance Transcription Services Is A Legitimate Company?
Jul 21, 2011

Does anyone out there know if Nuance (out of Massachusetts) is a legitimate company? ...

Nuance, Legitimate Bonus Plan??? Please Read.
Jan 03, 2012

My opinion,  having been in the industry for over 30 years and after reading a few posts on this subject below. For years a good deal of MTSO's including Webmedx had in place bonus or incentive plans based on production ONLY. Such a plan most likely helped Webmedx win "employer of the year" for years. Employees would go the extra mile even working through breaks to achieve higher line counts while at the same time the newer employees could look forward to gaining more experience and e ...

Trans Corp Medical Coding Inc-Is This A Legitimate Company?
Aug 11, 2010

I cannot find anything on this company when I Google.  Anyone have any info? ...

Medtrans MT School? Anyone Heard Of This? Looking To Start MT School That Is Affordable.
Dec 21, 2011

:) ...

Has Anyone Ever Gone Through Allied School For Coding? Other School Recommendations?
Jun 24, 2014

I was wondering if anyone has ever gone through Allied School in California for billing & coding.  If so, how was your experience?  Were you able to find work in coding after finishing the course and getting your certification?  I have been a medical transcriptionist for the past 10-11 years and am now looking at getting into coding.  My best friend and I are going to take a course together.   If you wouldn't recommend Allied as a school, who would you reco ...

Coding School - Considering Going To A School
Sep 22, 2011

I am an MT who is considering going to school for coding.  I am thinking about taking the course through Andrews and will probably start next year because I will have to save up some of the money.  I am wondering if you think coding may eventually go the way of medical transcription and be outsourced to India.  I do not think it will so I just wanted to get the opinions of other coders.  I realize it will be a hard course but I think it will be worth the effort.  Any thoughts would be appre ...

Job Posts
Dec 30, 2009

Why is it, that when you apply for a job, the company doesn't have the decency to contact you back, after jumping through hoops to complete their testing? ...

Help Please, A Few Posts Down . . .
Apr 08, 2010

someone had the instructions for finding out about the STATUS on DocQManage.  I do not have the status.  Could someone walk me through this to see how to find out about the people working on my account?  Any help would be appreciated!!! ...

Where Did All The Posts
Jul 10, 2010

. ...

Wish We Could See All Posts In The
Jul 20, 2010

It would be nice if we could read all the posts in the current month.  Sometimes I want to follow a particular thread, but it falls off the bottom of the page and cannot be seen. Can this capability be enabled?   ...

Where Are All The Posts Between 8/1 And 8/8?
Aug 16, 2010

Posts missing for the week of 8/1 to 8/7 or 8/8.  hmmm.  Just wondering is all. ...

This Is What The Job Posts Lately Seem Like
Jan 19, 2011

Every time I look to see what's out there, as far as job requirements it seems to get worse and worse.  I just wanted to put something up here which is what this all reminds me of... thank you for putting up with my sick humor...  Here's what I think when I read jost postings: WANTED:  MT!!!!  This job is For YOU!  Why wait in the cold outside, freezing in your home which is a box under the highway when you can bask in the warmth of our SWEAT SHOP!!! Yes! We ...

The Posts About W2s. Sm
Jan 29, 2011

I am amazed at how many people ask the same question year after year about company after company.  Companies have until 1/31 to mail W2s.  The bigger the company, the longer it takes to finish up the previous year's books and have W2s ready to print.  It takes a lot of time to print, assemble, stuff, seal, stamp and mail an entire company's worth of W2s.  Smaller companies often take just as long because they don't have a large accounting department or the manp ...