A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

MTSOs using what you say on forums like this against you - My perspective

Posted: Jun 15, 2010

I'm not an MTSO, never was, and never would be if I could help it. In one of the threads below someone mentioned that some larger MTSOs hold it against someone if they post something on a forum like this. I put myself in the position of the MTSO for a moment. What would I do if someone contacted me and told me that one of the MTs that was working for me was trashing me on a public forum. I would go look at it. If I knew who they were, I wouldn't send them any additional work. It wouldn't make sense for me to try to work with someone who was working against me and/or trying to hurt me. I don't know any kind of employer in any career field that would. It's common sense to get rid of people who are causinig problems so you have more time to do what is productive and bring in income for those who are working with you and for you, but not against you. Common sense.

how do they KNOW who is posting? do people use their real names? - ANON

[ In Reply To ..]
I thought things were pretty anonmyous here. I wrote awhile ago about my employer, not mentioning any names, nor my name... just about a generality about the company... specifically the frustrating QAs, but nothing I would consider "bashing".
is there a way to trace that or something?
I haven't had a problem or anything, but you mentioned an MTSO holding work from someone that talks trash about them, well sure... but people should be able to vent too...

Some people give a lot of specific details about their situation, though-- - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
and "out" themselves in the process, I'm sure.

What if you've already made is perfectly clear...sm - One exception

[ In Reply To ..]
to those "beloved" MTSOs what a problem is and they, as usual, take no heed, care way less, and do everything they can to make your life miserable with each passing day just because they are THE MTSO. I truly think they deserve to be posted on here, and they should EXPECT the bad press! If they are doing things right and treating their MTs with respect and let them feel appreciated, there would be absolutely no need for bashing! What goes around, comes around in my book!

Which is fine, but you have to be prepared for the possible consequences - To bash or not to bash.

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm all for venting just as much as any other person is and have done my fair share of it in the past. The problem with doing it in a public forum like this is if you do where your employer can be recognized and where they can figure out who you are, you open yourself up to punitive action. Look at the people who have posted stupid stuff on Facebook or something about their employers and then get canned.

Vent away, but if you do it so that you and/or your employer can be readily recognized, be prepared for any consequences that may come your way.

"trashing" isn't the same as "working against" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Complaints on this board don't affect an MTSO much, if at all. Someone who has complaints about legitimate issues isn't "working against" their MTSO, they're talking to other MTs for advice and commisseration.

Frankly, I think if an OM punished a good worker just because they got their feelings hurt over someone venting on MT Stars, that would be the real problem.

Venting on a message board is a symptom of a larger problem between the MT and the MTSO - In My Opinion

[ In Reply To ..]
If I saw someone venting about the company I work for, I would know that the person has something against that company and definitely doesn't have any loyalty to it or respect for it. If I knew a friend of mine was doing that, I wouldn't be comfortable with them. I might suggest that they go get a job at a company they do respect or can be loyal to or at least not 'vent' against, but then I wouldn't want to keep listening to it. If I was happy there I wouldn't want to be dragged down with all the venting. If I was unhappy there, I would take action and go elsewhere. That's a more effective way to make a statement with an MTSO, and I could do that without burning my bridges with them, just in case I find out they weren't so bad after all and want to come back to them.

this actually recently happened to me - uh uh no way

[ In Reply To ..]
I posted on a password protected nonpublic board as 3 emails to the owner went unanswered as well as emails to QA. I was really just wanting to see if other recently hired MTs were having the same experience. I think I've been let go but not exactly sure as, you guessed it, still waiting to hear from the owner (for a week). Luckily, I have 2 job offers standing by.
OMG!-sm - Jaded
[ In Reply To ..]
Are you saying that you were let go from your company for asking if anyone else was not getting a response to their emails? That is harsh!

Similar Messages:

Another Day On The Forums
Jun 13, 2012

Someone will say she has no work and/or is only earning minimum wage.  Someone else will come in and claim to be making tons of money, tons! straight typing all day long, plenty of work.  The thread will turn ugly and get nuked.  Let's go! ...

Are The Forums Down
Aug 16, 2013

My friend on the east coast too can't access any of the forums. ...

Forums Question
Jul 09, 2013

It used to be, when I read notes on the forum, the subject line would turn a different color after I read them. That's not happening anymore, and I'm having trouble remembering what I read and what I didn't. ...

Other Coding Forums
Dec 26, 2013

Glad tidings to all!  Does anyone know of any other forums with info and insights on coding?  Not looking for AAPC or AHIMA forums, but other chat/group forums.  ...

I Wish There Was A Like/dislike Button On These Forums! Nm
Apr 01, 2011

. ...

Are Posts On MT School Forums All Legitimate?
May 06, 2010

This might be a foolish question, but are all the posts on MT school forums for real?  I won't mention the school, but it seems that after several complaints about MT work, there's a sudden rush of "look how much money I'm making" posts.  Seems a little too good to be true.  Are there really people out there pulling in some good funds, or is this more like advertising for the school/MT industry? ...

I Was Just Over At Several Forums For Nurses And They Are Having Trouble Getting Jobs
Oct 30, 2011

One new nurse was told that her skills are stale and she needs to go through a "refresher" course, which costs $2,000 before she will be able to get a job. Another one has been looking for work for 6 months with no luck. I went over there to see if people in other kinds of work eat their young as MTs sometimes do. I thought maybe everyone else was happy and enjoying successful careers. Apparently not. These are tough times. I think sometimes we generalize so much that we depress each other. N ...

Text On Forums Showing Up Weak
Feb 12, 2015

Does anyone know why when I'm typing in the message field here, the font is coming out rather light and choppy? Example: Part of the "f" letter is missing. (All the letters have an issue.) This happens on my computer as well as another computer in my household--so it's not something with just my computer. The Subject field, Nickname/Alias field and E-mail field type out fine. The final product after physically submitting is showing up fine. ...

The Problem I Have Been Reading About On Blogs And Forums
Apr 14, 2015

I have noticed a trend in people who studied outpatient coding and realized it wasn't enough. It's not easy to find training in just inpatient, so those people appear to be stuck. They had the outpatient training, but aren't finding jobs as easily as if they had both outpatient and inpatient.  ...

Any Other VLC Students Having Problems With Accessing Grades,forums Etc.
Dec 23, 2009

Haven't got any feedback from instructors in weeks and any emails to them are returned with "permanent fatal errors". Found 2 other students with the same problem as of today. Would like to know if there are any others. If anyone is affiliated with the VLC school on here I would greatly appreciate some answers. I'm getting really frustrated because I'm nearing the end of the course and have invested $1500.oo and almost 2 years of my time. To wind up with nothing to show for it at ...

Why Do MTSOs Pay So Little Now?
Aug 31, 2011

Just a few years ago I was making 50K plus doing the same exact thing I am now getting paid 10-12 dollars an hour for.    Does anybody know the real reason for this dramatic change?  the details? ...

Hey, MTSOs
Dec 20, 2011

When will you MTSOs wise up and realize that pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of account specs for nitpicky docs SLOW DOWN YOUR MTs?  If you had any sense, you would use standardized headings in all reports and then turn that into a positive by telling prospective clients that it expedites turnaround of their reports.  That is *exactly* what I did back when I owned my company, and it worked!&n ...

Hey, MTSOs...
May 25, 2012

If you want experienced qualified MTs who have been doing this for years and years & can do any WT, any accent, any specialty, adapt to any software quickly.... quit requiring them to include a weekend day.  Save those for part-timers or newbies.  The experienced "oldies" have done their graveyard and weekend time.  There are actually some companies who "get" that.  If you're wondering why you can't find good experienced MTs, maybe that's why... ...

Any MTSOs Out There?
May 26, 2013

Hello! I'm a small MTSO who had lost some clients due to EMR.  I'm not yet ready to give up as of yet because I love this profession very much being in the MT business for the past 11 years.  I have heard stories about more and more doctors getting frustrated with EMR and would still want to dictate parts of the medical reports but somehow needed the transcribed dictation interfaced with their own EMR system.  I'm very interested to learn how this is done so I can o ...

Any MTSOs That Do NOT Use QA To
Mar 31, 2014

Honestly, I hate change but I am ready to jump. I don't ask too much, just to know if I get audited by QA the intent is not to take money off me. From what I can see, both the two big 2 - Nuance and MModal - use QA punitively financially, and while I have no objection to QA, when it is used to pick off MT pay I find that reprehensible and not an incentive to work your heart out, if you get what I mean. If anyone cares to share their company's policies, especially if they don't ...

Are There Any MTSOs Out There
Sep 05, 2014

on an employee status?  Would love to get out of the big N, but I don't want to be an IC at my age. ...

MTSOs: Would You Please Tell Us When There Is No
Feb 09, 2015

That would make things much easier for us to plan ahead the rest of our shift;  whether to sit there and wait for work, or if we only will be working part of a shift and the work runs out,  or if we can sign out and do other things in our personal life that need to be done.  I can't see that it's that big a problem or inconvenience for you to simply send an email to all on the account, or instant message, or whatever.  You do it when you're begging for he ...

Do You Think MTSOs Are Using VR Instead Of Offshoring?
Oct 20, 2009

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the VR came about as an answer to the problem of offshoring.  I am sure many clients prefer to keep their dictation/transcription right here in the USA and request that from the companies they use.  Maybe we should not be so adverse to it, as it could be the only means of keeping the work here affordably. ...

Question For MTSOs
Nov 12, 2009

How do you handle using subcontractors (IC's) and still be HIPAA and HITECH compliant?  I guess what I'm getting at is after I did some reading on IRS rules for employee versus IC, it sounds almost impossible to have IC and be HIPAA/HITECH compliant. One says I have to provide training/education on HIPAA, yet the other ones says I can't provide training/education otherwise they are an "employee."  One says I can't dictate how the work station is set up, etc., but t ...

How Do MTSOs Get Away With Hiring Only ICs.
Dec 17, 2009

Is this just a scam so that employers don't have to pay benefits and employer taxes?  I bet if there was an audit, most ICs and MTSOs would be in trouble for using that classification improperly, especially for the full-time positions. I even applied for a full-time secretarial job in a small law office recently, and was told I would be hired as a contractor with no benefits.  I was stunned and declined.  I need to check with the labor department to see if some of my concern ...

Radiololgy MTSOs
Mar 09, 2010

I have finally been offered 2 jobs after working for a company that required experienced MTs but only pays 24,000 a year - that's right, I am eligible for poverty-level discounts on my utilities while working fulltime as a seasoned MT, making the highest line count on my account. So, I wonder how I can ask:  How much money can I expect to make?  I want to make 40 grand a year at least.  ...

TO ALL MTSOs - Please Read And Think About This.
Apr 14, 2010

Let me introduce myself.  I am a full time MT with 25 years experience in this business, averaging typing 2000 lines per day, audit scores 98% and above, who willingly works OT when requested, and I have never taken a sick day.  I consider my job a serious employment commitment. I am the bread-winner in my family.  I don't say this to indicate I make the most money.  This means I PAY THE BILLS.  You know, mortgage, car payments, insurance, light bill, food on the ta ...

Question For MTSOs (sm)
May 06, 2010

I am just curious at what point you stop looking at resumes that have been emailed to you after posting a job.  Is it 50?  100?  More or less?  If I have been away from the board for a bit and come back to find a job that has been posted that I am interested in, if there are more than 200 views to it I generally move on and do not bother with applying.  I figured that with that many viewing probably half or more have applied and sending my resume at that point would be ...

MTSOs Being Greedy
Jul 27, 2010

Let's get to the point here on why most MTSOs are greedy.  It is not because the MT makes mistakes or should make mistakes.  That is not the issue.  The real issue is that MTSOs don't pay what a quality MT is worth!  That's where the "greedy" comes in.  It also shows that the MTSO obviously doesn't really care about the transcriptionist at all.  If an MTSO pays really low, this says to me they are treating the MTs as robot "worker bees" work ...

MTSOs And Windows
Jul 29, 2010

Man...sometimes I'm sorry I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit last October.  It is not compatible with many MTSOs' tech, so I can't apply.   ...

Why MTSOs Operate The Way They Do
Jun 23, 2011

I have worked for a company for almost two years now (MT for 11 years) and am wondering why, all of the sudden, for about a week now I have been getting nothing but dictators that I am not familiar with.  They are part of my pool and I have had dictations from them in the past, but never exclusively.  I have only gotten two dictations in this time period from the dictators for whom I normally transcribe.  I understand wanting everyone on the team to be familiar with all ...

ICs And MTSOs. Are You In Compliance? Sm
Feb 03, 2012

ICs beware.  If your MTSO is found to be noncompliant by the IRS, you will be next in their crosshairs. http://erginc.com/pdfs/independent_contractors_20_questions.pdf ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

May 1st Sickout And MTSOs.
Apr 23, 2012

Don't let the threats by MTSOs scare you.  It is true that in most state employment is "at will" but if they fire people for calling in sick, equipment problems, ill child, power failure, etc. they WILL be paying unemployment for all those people which will be a big financial hit.  They are the ones that are scared.  Why do you think there are so many "suit" posts on this board trying to discourage this organized demonstration?  As far as MTSOs and ICs go, ICs are on the ...

Are There Any MTSOs That Let You Work PRN (sm)
Jun 13, 2012

on a part-time basis?  I like where I work, but sometimes run out of work for a couple hours and it would be nice to be able to have a backup MTSO where I could work p.r.n.  I have thought about a part-time gig, but when my account gets real busy then I wouldn't be able to handle the part-time job.  Any suggestions? ...