A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Time versus money - long commute - MMO

Posted: Aug 01, 2012

I am doing some thinking about what is important to me. I have been looking at jobs on Indeed.com and found 2 coding jobs that I might qualify for down the line, but they both involve a 1-1/2 hour commute via public transportation each way. So that's 3 hours a day getting there and back. After working at home more than 10 years, that idea seems very daunting to me. I could look for work closer to home, but the pay would be considerably less doing outpatient coding for a dr's office. The hospitals close by (10 minute drive) have had no openings less than coder 2 and want 3 to 5 years experience. I keep telling myself that the 3-hour commute would be temporary until I could either move closer or buy a new car (at least a year). If I worked closer to home, I could get the experience of coding and then try at the closer hospitals. I don't know if the higher pay is worth the long commute. Any thoughts? Anyone else in this situation, and if so, what did you choose? Time versus money? TIA.

Do the math - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Once you add up all of the costs of commuting, does the job really pay that much more?

I grew up in a small town (nothing was more than 15 minute drive away) and found myself in a major metropolitan area and after a year of a 1-1/2 hour each way commute could not move quick enough to cut that commute to 20 minutes.

I guess it depends on your ultimate goal and what will get you there quicker. If they both end up at the same place around the same time, I would always choose time. However, if the commute gives you more opportunity and a quicker route to your goals, you can do anything for a year or so.

It is an extremely tough choice.

The cost of the commute isn't that big a deal - MMO

[ In Reply To ..]
The cost of the commute would be about 78 dollars a month for a bus pass. If I drove myself, the cost of gas would be more than that, plus car maintenance, higher insurance bill, etc. It's more about the time. Thanks for the reply, gives me more to think about. I will probably end up at the same place at the same time either way, and I would certainly choose time.

First off - Congratulations on your new coding - career!!

[ In Reply To ..]
I dont know what your hours would be or anything like that, but I am guessing all that has to be taken into consideration when commuting 3hrs round trip everyday. Is it possible for you to move sooner than a year?

Kind of a hard one, but you need the experience and if you can get started with one of these jobs, I would say go for it. I dont know if you have a family - Husband, kids or if you are living alone. But if you live alone maybe you should start preparing yourself for a move if thats what its gonna take to get the job you need.

Good luck and keep your eyes open...who knows, maybe something else will come up thats a little closer for you.

Time versus money - Curious one

[ In Reply To ..]
When you say you "might qualify for these jobs down the line", what is your time frame? Have you applied and/or been invited to interview? Has the employer made an offer? Unless they have, you don't know how much it truly pays. Make sure you want the job first and that it's definite, before you worry about transportation. You're talking about a 3-hour commute; that probably means getting up very early and arriving home quite late. Consider meal preparation, you are going to be tired when you get home. If you have a family, are they going to be okay with that? The cost of relocating and/or purchasing a new car would be substantial. If you drive back and forth, consider that fuel is $4.00+ per gallon. I can tell you that doing a commute like that for a year would be pretty bad, unless it were my absolute dream job. Personally, I'd opt for the outpatient job closer to home. It might sound a bit low key, but if it's your first coding job, it may be a good way to gain some experience, then you may qualify for the local hospital jobs. It certainly would be less stressful, and even though it probably pays less than the other jobs, when you factor in all the expense, you'll probably come out ahead. I'm assuming you already have your CPC or CCS. Regardless of where you choose to work, you will be required to have them. Best of luck.

3 to 4 months - MMO

[ In Reply To ..]
It will take me 3 to 4 months to get my CPC and CCS. I am looking at all possibilites in the area where I live. The commute is 1-1/2 hours each way on public transportation. In a car, the drive would be about 30 minutes each way, gas probably around 100 bucks a month. The hub of the main hospitals are in that area, north of downtown and I live south of downtown. I will keep my eyes peeled for more jobs in the months ahead. There are a lot of medical office buildings close to where I live.

Good luck - Curious one

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure you'll find something that will be a good fit.

tough one - here is a way to think about it...

[ In Reply To ..]
If you consider that it's not uncommon to drive a half-hour to work, try to think of this new venture as an extra hour at each end of the commute.

The public transportation part is huge - both in time and money. You can use the time to sleep, read, study, balance your checkbook, etc. Like you said, perhaps you can think of it as temporary and give it a whirl. In the meantime, you will discover whether the money is worth the time.

I can understand anyone finding this decision daunting. It certainly makes for a long day. Good luck. I believe whatever decision you make will be the right one for you!

Some perspective - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Look at jobs posted in locations other than just Indeed.com. Not all employers use that site. Many large facilities use their own websites.

2. Consider federal jobs like the VA or military. They have their own website at www.usajobs.gov.

3. A commute on public transportation is a commute during which you can read, study, or listen to audio books. You can use your time profitably to improve your skills and credentials. That can pay off in terms of job opportunities.

4. It is not a good idea to assume that a local hospital will accept doctor's office work for experience. It depends on how desperate they are. They WILL accept the expeience from those jobs that are 3 hours away, so in that respect, the 3-hour commute may be considered as necessary to get the experience.

5. Your best plan now is to do whatever it takes to get to the point that you can pass both the CCS and CPC. With both, you can apply for more local hospital jobs and fo really challenging office positions.

6. Do not make decisions now. When you get one of those far away jobs, it may be that you would be able to work remotely anyway. You might only need to commute fora few months.

Perspective - Curious One

[ In Reply To ..]
The OP stated that she was 3 or 4 months away from the CPC/CCS, and wondering about how she's going to get to and from a job she hasn't even applied for, a lot of assumptions are being made. She needs to get an interview and get hired before she worries about how she is going to get there, a lot can happen in 3 months, the job in question may not even exist by then.

Similar Messages:

Commute Time
Sep 23, 2014

Any MTs commute to work for 1 hour? I'm in desperate need of work and this is the only thing I have found closest to me in the transcription world. It would be an in-house position, competetive salary, and excellent benefits. Wondering if it would be worth the drive. As I said, desperate for work. Any thoughts? ...

Wondering How Long The Rest Of You Sit Here Earning No Money (sm)
Mar 27, 2013

clocking in and out.  Punching in and typing 1 or 2 resports, clocking out, a job downloads, clock in, type, NJA, clock out.  Punching in and out is time consuming and affects the little line count that I am getting!!! I've been doing this now for 4 hours and I'm done.  Fire me, PLEASE, but I am not sitting here without consistent work punching that stupid time clock in and out all day long and not getting paid.  I have much better things to punch. I'M SO ...

It Is Just Me Or Is There Anyone That Can Make More Money Typing Versus Voice Recognition?
May 31, 2012

Part-time Versus Full-time Benefits
Jan 10, 2013

I'm curious as to the difference between the benefits for part-time versus full-time employment.  Are they the same?   ...

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Any Suggestions To Turn NJA Time Into Money?
Aug 31, 2010

Does anyone know of anything worthwhile (i.e., money-making) to do while sitting around waiting for the next job to load?  My time is worth more than watching the clock tick away waiting for MQ to throw me a job here and there.  What irks me is how I have to make that wasted time up in my own free time, and not only that, but what time suits THEM best, i.e., Friday or Saturday nights.  The gaul.  Anyway, I was wondering how you all spend that idle time being more fruitful.&nb ...

Time Give Away = Money Down The Drain
May 20, 2011

Is anyone else fighting back against all the time we are expected to give away?  Every time they ask us to sit waiting for work to come in for 15 minutes, they are only paying minimum wage for your state.  If you are making more than this with your calculated base, they are cheating you!  I lose approximately $7 dollars an hour when asked to wait.  I for one have had enough!  Pray for me, as I may push this to the limit of losing my job, but when you think about it, that ...

So Free With Advice - Don't Waste Your Time/money
Mar 21, 2011

On the newbie page is yet another thread with nothing but mindless- "don't waste your money/time" posts from supposedly experienced MTs. Like it or not, MT isn't disappearing.  Neither is AHDI.  Like it or not, credentialing is going to be a fact of life if you're an MT.  I'm no big fan of AHDI either, but I have paid enough attention to what's going on in the industry to know what the wind is bringing in. The MTs who do little more than bash and dash, w ...

Make More Money Full Time At McDonalds
Jan 23, 2015

.07 cpl, paying once a month with a fee if direct deposit is utilized?  Geez, thought my job was hideous...  I could literally make more money working minimum wage 40 hours a week.  It is sad what this has come too. 19 years of hard work and dedication to watch it waste away...  ...

Once Upon A Time Long Ago....
Jul 22, 2012

Remember when we worked as MTs and didn't have QAs?  Boy those were the days!  Anyone else remember that?  Remember when we were good, trusted, common sense mattered, we made our own judgment calls, did our job and supervisors liked us?  Wow all was wonderful with the world back then.  Okay going back to my current reality now......   ...

Long Time MTs I'd Like Your Input Please
Apr 12, 2013

Remember the good old days when we had our own accounts and only signed with a service as "filler?" This is the third time that I have committed to working full time, signed the "Agreement" that yes, I will work for you full time hours, only to end up with under 20 hours for the month, or better yet sitting and waiting and waiting to start with now no full-time income coming in because I have committed to them to full time! Has anyone ever tried to be compensated for that time? If ...

I Am A LONG Time Medquist'er About To Take A Leap
Dec 05, 2011

I've been with Medquist forEVER but I've been consistently losing income for the past 3 years.  Last month, I was forced to go on governmental assistance just to keep a roof over my and my son's heads because of my lack of income with Medquist.  This year I may just barely make $10,000.  I have been with this company through thick and thin.  I have seen thousands of changes, and been through several dozen supervisors.  I am a WAY dedicated employee, p ...

Long Time MT With Burnout And Cabin Fever!
Dec 16, 2009

I've been an MT for 15 years and work full time, 40 hours a week.  Lately, I have been SO restless and bored to death with my job!  I'm married and have no kids--when my husband gets home from work, he is glad to be here; meanwhile, by mid week, I'm about to go stark raving mad due to being at home so much!  Now I'm not new at this, as I said.  I have also been in QA, which I enjoyed much more, but the pay was so dire that I went back to transcribing. ...

Does Being A Long-time MT Make You More Valuable If You Become A Coder?
Mar 28, 2010

So if someone has been an MT for 10 years and then moves onto coding, does that make them more valuable to employers? Also do you recommend the Andrews School over the rest?  I am pretty sure I am going to do this but am wondering if I should sit in college class and do all of this or go with the Andrews School. Is there really a PLUS to taking the classes on campus in a classroom setting?  Thanks! ...

DQS Taking A LONG Time To Download Dictations?
Aug 02, 2010

Is anyone having problems with DQS taking a LONG time to download dictations?  This is ridiculous! ...

Haven't Been On This Board In A Long Time And Have A Question. SM
Dec 22, 2010

I see one page of posts, doesn't seem to go to a page 2, and so on.  Company board goes from today at 4 p.m., to the 14th of Dec and no option of a 2nd page.    Does the board now automatically archive after a page is full?    Thanks.  ...

Time Versus Line Rate
May 18, 2011

The problem is not getting paid for time incurred.  You get paid for lines but not time.  Also, transcription is very gender-biased.  Management knows all you nice gals will never revolt and will just go on working for peanuts and accept being cheated every way they can figure out to cheat you.  ...

Independent Versus Full Time Employee
Sep 14, 2010

What is the benefit of working as an independent? Is the pay different? ...

Fragment Versus Complete...having A Hard Time!
Oct 26, 2010

Cut made with a 15 blade into deep tissue. Is this fragment or complete? I am so confused. I would want to add a "was," but does it not having a "was" or "is" make it incomplete? I have been researching grammar, but I know sometimes medical fragment sentences tend to be acceptable. ...

Any Long-time MTs (over 30 Years) Having Chronic Neck/back Pain
Apr 25, 2011

Any long-time MTs (over 30 years) having chronic neck/back pain, hand pain, wrist pain, migraines, etc., ever had luck at filing a workers comp claim? ...

Calculating Lines Per Hour Versus Time Worked
May 14, 2010

Hi everyone:) Just wanted to know how to calculate a line rate based on the number of hours worked, which is for Transcend.  Got a "not so nice" message from my TL saying I had better adjust my lines AS SOON AS POSSIBLE to make it balance out with the # of lines I am producing, or else!!  I would like to know if 1 of you kind, wonderful MTs would help me.  Thanks!! ...

Can Any Long Time "Keystrokers" Answer A Question
Sep 06, 2012

Considering going back, but wasn't there long enough to find out the first time.  The pay they are offering is pretty low.  Just wondering if that will be the best I can expect from them.  Thanks!  ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...

More Money
Sep 18, 2012

Do any MTs out there working for MM know how we can all get together and demand more money? they don't listen to us one at a time! ...

I Will Owe Them Money!
Mar 26, 2013

I guess my next check will be a negative amount, since last week I didn't even get 8 hours in and this week thus far, I have only gotten 2 hours in.  Somebody has to pay for my insurance and I am pretty sure they aren't going to cover it at the kindness of their heart.  Beyond frustrated!!! ...