A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

So free with advice - Don't waste your time/money - MT2

Posted: Mar 21, 2011

On the newbie page is yet another thread with nothing but mindless- "don't waste your money/time" posts from supposedly experienced MTs.

Like it or not, MT isn't disappearing.  Neither is AHDI.  Like it or not, credentialing is going to be a fact of life if you're an MT.  I'm no big fan of AHDI either, but I have paid enough attention to what's going on in the industry to know what the wind is bringing in.

The MTs who do little more than bash and dash, who offer nothing but "chicken little" advice are doing a great disservice to those who come and read these pages.  For better or worse, AHDI is the ONLY game in town for MTs.  They *WILL* be the credentialing body when credentialing becomes mandatory (and this is going to happen sooner rather than later).  Credentialing should have been made mandatory years ago but the "babes in Modesto" were pretty busy getting rich and making names for themselves rather than working for the MT.  AHDI is what it is and given that, you get to choose if you will be a PROFESSIONAL MT or you will be an  MT who does little more than bad-mouth the profession. 

I encourage anyone (new or not) to look into getting your credential.  It is finally going to mean enough to begin putting MTs on equal footing with other professions who've had credentialing in place for decades.  It's going to be a statement to an employer that says you can at least do ground-floor level of work.  I just wonder how many bad-mouthing the credential and the profession are ones who are unable to stay competitive.  Either way, it's about time we take the route of encouraging each other instead of seeing who can insult the loudest, right?

Playing Devil̢۪s Advocate; have you considered where Transcriptionists will be in 10 years as - SR Editors

[ In Reply To ..]

Playing Devil’s Advocate here, what makes you think “transcriptionists” will be in the majority 10 years from now? 

Pushing for mandatory Certification does not happen overnight, and I believe AHDI started this push long before they realized exactly to what extend Speech Recognition (and even off-shoring) would impact the Medical Transcription profession. 

There are very few job posts with companies offering strictly straight transcription, but there are  plenty of complaints regarding Speech Recognition and the lack of straight transcription jobs.  Between large MTSOs being hell-bent on acquiring smaller companies and small practices and clinics requesting lower cents per line charges from their current ICs, it is getting harder and harder to find companies who do only straight transcription.  The smaller, one or two-person true Independent Contractors cannot (or do not want to) add more staff.  So, in my opinion, it appears that in a few years, the majority of people in the Medical Transcription field will be actually SR Editors and not Medical Transcriptionists, in the strictest sense of the word. 

As soon as AHDI realizes that, they will start pushing for an SR Editor Certification (Certified Speech Recognition Editor or CSRE maybe ??) and the CMT (Certified Medical Transcriptionist) title will be about as useful as calling oneself a “Typist.” 

Yes, they are and will be forever typewriters, but when was the last time you ran across someone who proudly stated their occupation as that of a Typist? 

Hopefully, anyone with a CMT will automatically grandfather into an SR Editor Certification (whatever they decide to call it), but with how greedy all these people are, I would not be surprised if AHDI required even current CMTs to retake the “new” test. 

I was one of the first MTs to sit for and pass the CMT exam in 1982.  From what I have read about the current exam, very little is about actual editing.  It still is geared towards straight transcription.  But, I could be wrong since I have not taken the current exam. 

I truly do not believe CMT will be the initials following the majority of names in the years ahead, so I do not think paying for a CMT today is worthwhile. 

JUST MY OPINION, of course. 

Are you aware of this:

“As of Jan. 1, 2011, the RMT credential will become a prerequisite for any candidate seeking access to the CMT exam.  CMT candidates can opt to take the RMT exam first and come back for the CMT, or they can opt for the new combined CQE exam and demonstrate both Level 1 and Level 2 competency in the same exam session.  CQE candidates who meet the Level 1 cut scores will automatically move on to Level 2 content.  If unable to meet the cut scores for Level 2 content, the candidate will leave the exam session with an RMT credential.  Candidates capable of meeting cut scores at both levels will earn the CMT credential.”  

And, of course, the price of the exam has gone up, “since you are now taking 2 exams.”  Need I say more about the greed of AHDI?  

Good luck in whatever you decide.  Go with what you feel is best for you; definitely not what anyone else tells you to do.  

AHDI's greed - cr

[ In Reply To ..]
I'll bet you're right. I'm so over the hill, it doesn't matter a whole lot, but just reading the initials of AHDI or AAMT makes my blood boil. They're just snakes in the grass looking for new ways to keep themselves well fed.

cr - cb

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't insult snakes by comparing them to AHDI. :)-

I have watched AHDI ruin this profession. - I will never give them my money.

[ In Reply To ..]
Why should any of us pay for a fake credential offered by an organization that has lowered our wages to poverty-level, and sent most of our jobs overseas? "Because they SAY so?"

Phfffttt!
How exactly has AHDI "lowered our wages" and "sent our jobs overseas?" - Last time I checked....sm
[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI was not an MTSO or even a healthcare facility. For that matter, mandatory credentialing would do just the opposite. Your argument has no basis.
Slinging mud with a crowd at a convenient boogie - beats the heck out of educating oneself. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
They took money that should have been paid to transcriptionists.... - Mist
[ In Reply To ..]
in a deal made with Medquist during a civil action lawsuit...
Mist, I don't know as much about that as I should. - Who brought and funded that lawsuit? Did you
[ In Reply To ..]
Medquist guys pool your funds to hire representation and bring suit? Also, I sort of thought that deal was made by a judge, but it was actually settled directly between AHDI and Medquist? So AHDI was a party to the suit then, and if so what did Medquist do to them? What was their standing in the case? Thanks.
Along side of what 'cheapening this profession' said...sm - Mist
[ In Reply To ..]
It was the federal government which brought the suit against them. They chose to shortchange the VA by overcharging their client and the damage done to MTs was manipulating line counts to pay out less to the transcriptionists. You can't tell me the federal government doesn't know and why are either still allowed to operate?
AHDI and Medquist settlement - jac
[ In Reply To ..]
MedQuist lost a law suit and had to pay ADHI money to all former employees of MedQuist for altering line counts, or so the legal announcement I got allegedly said. The money was to be used for purchases through AHDI. I received a full year of membership. I had to make the effort to apply correctly, but I suppose some people lost out and you could only make one purchase, so the cost benefit could differ. It was a good thing though for us.
Do you live in a cave? AHDI lowered our pay by - cheapening our profession. - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
They've been touting overseas transcription to MTSOs for years. They've been in bed with India for years, and are currently working on sending MT work to China, as well.

They've duped the foreign MTs into getting their CMT credential (which they "sell" to them at a much lower price than to American MTs. It was easy to do that, because it was a way to convince nervous US clients that offshore MTs could do the work.

They lowered our pay by endorsing offshoring, instead of condemning it. If MTSOs could pay a cheap overseas MT 2 or 3 cpl, they had the leverage with US MTs to lower our pay by holding the threat of offshoring over our heads.

They've been lobbying to get CMT mandatory, because currently they are a monopoly - the only "credential" offered for MT work. It would bring them lots of "captive" members, who, along with their employers, would no longer have a choice.

A mandatory credential would ONLY be of value to the MT if a MANDATORY GOOD WAGE went along with it. And judging by what I've seen those snakes do over the last 10 years, I doubt that would happen.

Pay will only improve if medical transcription DONE IN THE U.S. is mandatory. Whether or not an MT has three silly little letters after their name will have no bearing on income, and means very little about how good they are at their jobs. All it means is they're good test-passers. In school as well as business, there are those who can pass tests, but can't actually do the work. So the CMT isn't the whole picture. The rest test of an MT is to give them some dictation, and see if they can transcribe it.
that should've been "real" test, NOT "rest". - (Havent had my coffee, yet!)
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Where will we be ten years from now? - sickandtired

[ In Reply To ..]
I am afraid we will be where the dinosaurs are.......extinct! The way things are going. If not extinct, we will all be looking for some other way to earn a living

I agree with everything you said. sm - Sally Q

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I think AHDI are money grubbers.

However, I think you hit the nail on the head with your post. Bravo. I am sick of the nay-sayers, too. This is the point where some of the old timers will get left behind if they don't want to move into the future.

"They're money grubbers" but you're still willing - to hand over your hard-earned cash?

[ In Reply To ..]
?

Sally Q - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
Um, no, some of us old-timers will retire nicely, not have to worry about money coming in and travel (Italy is first up!) and relax and enjoy ourselves. We have earned it--without the help of your beloved AHDI.

Agree with Old Pro - is ADHI certification retroactive 30+ years? - NO PROBLEM GETTING JOBS, WITHOUT SO FAR

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I agree, Sally Q. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Enities like ADHI have always had their hands out. That doesn't make them any less legimate. - Sally Q

[ In Reply To ..]
Believe me, I have no love for ADHI. Let's face it though. Employers have given them legitimacy. It's just politics, folks. That's the way the world works. If employers want MTs with credentials then we will be forced to do it.

Look on the bright side of it. Many will be forced to become better MT's because of credentials. There are so many of us who can't even pass an employment test even though we have been working for years. In ways, it will legitimize our profession. We also need to have a voice with ADHI and let them know they need to support *us* and not the MTSO. A strong membership might actually have persuasion with them.

encouraging each other would be GRRReat - will it occur on a widespread basis

[ In Reply To ..]
Try the ATA instead of supporting AHDI, which seems to be led by an attorney out for self and MTSOs and seems to happily support the MTSOs at the expense of the MTs.

Unfortunately, the ATA membership fee is as high as AHDI and unfortunately AHDIers are also members of the ATA and likely working to coapt ATA so it cannot challenge their supposed supremacy...

Let's do encourage each other! What a concept.

No one will ever "encourage" me to pay scam artists - to buy a credential for a disappearing job.

[ In Reply To ..]
!

No one will ever "encourage" me, either - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
You said it well. I have mad a lot of money in this profession. Never has AHDI helped me. However, they have harmed me--and countless other MTs--by getting in bed with the likes of MedQuist and supporting offshoring. It would be interesting to see how many MTs have LEFT the AHDI over the past decade--but you can bet they will not release those figures. I cannot support the AHDI as a matter of conscience.
AHDI has become nothing more than common - WHITE COLLAR GANGSTERS. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
^
I canceled and - will never return
[ In Reply To ..]
ever.

Bravo! Well said! - Proud2BeACMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Every company I worked for offered to at least pay 1/2 of my credentialing fees. I think most MTs are scared to test honestly, and with good reason. It was HARD and I had been in the business for 20 years when I took it. I have been a QA for 10 years and with the poor quality transcription and lack of attention to quality I know why. I think approximately 1/2 the MTs I know could pass the CMT first try. I am NOT bashing anyone, but I think all this negativity is pointed in the wrong direction. Look inward...improve yourselves - it is not always "HIS FAULT."

Having a CMT after your name is kinda like having - a sign on your back saying "Im a fool."

[ In Reply To ..]
:/

Disagree. What % of unemployed MTs are CMTs - compared to employed? Just sensible in have bad ti

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether you like AHDI or value the CMT itself is irrelevant.
A high # of unemployed MTs are newbies right - outta school, who dont have CMT, but -
[ In Reply To ..]
it isn't the lack of the CMT that makes them unemployed, it's the fact that they don't yet have actual work experience. Which is something one USED to be able to get, back when MTSOs and hospital transcription departments would mentor and help train new MTs. Now, they want "Super-Transcriptionist", who can do everything, with 0% errors. All for a magnificent 6 cpl.

So...(trying to understand) - Christina

[ In Reply To ..]
Personally, I want to work toward getting mine just because. So for the people who have no interest in getting one, are you still able to put "MT" after your name? Do you even do that? (I am a new grad. and am a little confused.) I was under the impression you start entry level, gain the experience to get your CMT (thought all MTs at some point "had" to do this), then THAT is when you get the "good" jobs.
At the present time, the CMT credential is a choice and obviously there are differing opinions on th - Proud2BeACMT
[ In Reply To ..]
My personal opinion is that we all should do whatever it takes to put ourselves at the top of our profession. Credentialing WILL become mandatory at some point in the future, but at the present time is not. There are currently fewer than 3000 credentialed MTs in the US. I have never been without a job and my pay has steadily increased through a 25 year career. Did the credential itself do it for me? No. Keeping myself educated and always looking for opportunities did. So the only advice I have for you is that the career is what YOU make of it and some of us are happy with the choice we made. I wish you great success!
You know why they're trying to mandate the CMT, - dont you? - MT Wordz
[ In Reply To ..]
It's because they're trying to rope in those of us who weren't fooled by the MYTH that having their bogus credential inserted after our names somehow made us better transcriptionists.
I don't put anything after my name. My name - and my work stand on their own merit.
[ In Reply To ..]
Forking out a few hundred bucks to take a test (where the rules of what is "correct" and what is not are changed almost yearly by AHDI), wouldn't make one iota of difference in my ability to do my job, or my pay, regardless of whether I aced the test with a 100% score, or whether I failed it.

So, times being what they are, and MT pay being the dismal chickenfeed that it is, I prefer to hang onto what little money I earn.

Seriously, buying a Lottery ticket every week would be a better investment than a worthless test made up by a bunch of shysters.
That would almost sound noble if it were only smart - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It's still smarter than paying people to give your - job to somebody in a sari.
[ In Reply To ..]

Wow...that's professional! ;) - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Part of the problem is a conflict of rules/specifications - Backwards Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
AHDI wants perfection. Most clients want verbatim. QA may follow AHDI and mark off for verbatim. Then there are QAs who follow client specifications faithfully and mark off if you follow AHDI/BOS.

So, which rules do you follow? Supposedly, client preference is the rule. AHDI rules/BOS do not apply for most. Clients couldn't care less about BOS, just as long as what they dictate is what they see.

I'm not saying let the sloppiness of some dictators spelling, wrong dosages, wrong/conflicting diagnoses, too many commas or none(some do dictate all commas and periods), etc. pass. Quality in sentence structure and correction of true errors is always the first priority when it comes to the clients, but AHDI want everyone to do everything their way.

Look how often AHDI change the BOS rules, too. Every year, they backtrack on some changes or add another rule. Until AHDI forces the dictators to conform to their way of perfection, it's really like banging your head against the wall.

An MT can improve herself with a CMT exam but the MT will probably never use it on the job and, as we all know, most MTSOs no longer help the MT recover the cost of this test or pay a higher rate for those initials behind the MT name. So, IMHO, the negativity is not pointed in the wrong direction.

When in Rome... - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
There are always different rules on different accounts. That does not mean you shouldn't know the BOS rules or use other resources. I disagree entirely that the client couldn't care less. Most of the hospitals I work with require its use. Trust me, I get the emails daily from them telling us when MTs do not follow it.

As far as that goes, there are only 3 editions of the BOS in 20 years. So, the rules do not change daily. In fact, to my knowledge there were only 3 changes in the third edition, which are very minor.

The bottom line is we must keep learning, evolving, and improving our skills to stay on top. Complaining about it doesn't really accomplish anything. What if we just expected physicians to use what they learned in school and not keep up with advances in medicine? Would that be tolerated?

Just food for thought.
Yes, plus this kind of stuff goes on in all fields.You hear - the same complaints in any lunch room. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Rome eventually burned........ - n/msg
[ In Reply To ..]

Very well-said, Backwards! - MT Wordz

[ In Reply To ..]
mtw

I hear ya !!! - SAMB

[ In Reply To ..]
When I took my CMT exam I felt like i was testing for medical boards. And still... with the quality of dictation there is a very thin line between acceptable lab values when you hear "nine" but they mean "1". As in 4.9 and 4.1, but with my company it is considered a 'critical error'. I only get 10 QA submissions a month. I love my job, I don't love the fact that it all falls on us, either way.

No thanks - Happy MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been an MT for 22 years. I have never even contemplated certification. I have had too-numerous-to-count clients and I assure you none of them have a clue about certification (all doctors/clinics). Maybe a large service would require it or a hospital, but I would never work for any of those anway.

Happy MT - Old Pro

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you. And I have had contracts with some of the largest teaching hospitals in California and neither I nor anyone on the team had the magical credential. Our work was praised, our contracts were renewed. I have also worked for two of the largest services in the US and right now work for a medium-sized service. None of them required it. I am getting ready to retire now, am grateful for this profession, but certainly did not need the "certification" of what started out as basically a queen bee sorority. I did not them and they certainly do not need me.

Why would I want a credential for a minimum wage job? - Older MT

[ In Reply To ..]
And that's pretty much where I see this MT industry going. Minimum, barely living wage paying jobs.

Maybe if it was like the old days of MT, it might be worthwhile. But if I'm only making $7 or $8 an hour now ($9 on a good day), why would I want a credential for that?

Maybe McDonald's and Wal-Mart will start requiring credentials too.

I agree. If AHDI had wanted MTs to chase their - credential, they shouldnt have - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
put so much time and effort into selling this profession down the river to the lowest bidders.

If attaining the CMT had meant we would get top dollar, and that our profession would be viewed with the same respect as court reporters, paralegals, nurses, etc., then I, and all the other MTs out there would be falling all over ourselves to test and be certified.

Unfortunately, AHDI didn't think about that when they started going for the fast buck by selling our work and their credential offshore. If they'd had the foresight to see where things could go if their credential had been solely for US MTs, and had they lobbied AGAINST offshoring, instead of FOR it, and if they'd had the self-discipline and lack of greed to stick to their guidelines, instead of changing their rules every few years to sell more BOS books, the credential would actually be worth something. They could have charged more for testing and continuing education if it meant an MT was going to easily clear $50,000/year or more for their services, as true medical professionals.

But alas. They wanted that fast money, and put our profession on perpetual sale.

Maybe AHDI was dumb enough to paint themselves into a corner, but most of us aren't dumb enough to buy into it.

well said and said it all. dont ya just luv the kids though? - all wide-eyed and ready-set-go.

[ In Reply To ..]
Just waiting to take YOUR job. Then you might not be so condescending. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Your eagerness to get into a dying profession, and - take the low-paying job of someone who - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
knows all of us, YOU as well, are being ripped off, speaks volumes for your experience. If you think making 6-7 cpl for an MTSO is a "great" job, you haven't even been out the door, let alone around the block yet.

Oh. And don't forget about SS & taxes. You don't get the whole 7 cents each time you transcribe a line of dictation. After Federal, State, and Social Security taxes have been taken out of your wage, you're probably making closer to 3-4 cpl.
And they are more than welcome to take my minimum wage job! - Its all yours
[ In Reply To ..]
At least McDonalds and Wal-Mart offer benefits.
seriously, have at it... - you will find yourself in a position
[ In Reply To ..]
where you are not qualified to do anything else but sit home and type day and night for pennies.

PS what's with all those other initials some of them have after their names, FACMT all that mess? Do you have to pay extra for more initials?
I strongly suspect minimum wagers are not qualified - for this one already. BTW, typing jobs
[ In Reply To ..]
are also going the way of the stenographer. Many, many thousands are gone already.

Well Said! - MTPockets. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
cancel this - sweetgirlsmom
[ In Reply To ..]
cancel this

Similar Messages:

A Big Waste Of Time
Jan 05, 2010

Got Duped again. Send my resume in, got ASKED to test, Feel I did excellent on the test, but get a mail back saying that they cannot hire me at this time. Knowing that no one ever gives you any explanation as to why you fail, I went ahead and sent a mail asking why.   The answer I received really threw me off. The answer was: "We require at least 3 years experience to hire".   My resume clearly states that I have almost 2 years exp so they made me test for absolutely NOTHING! GREAT ...

What A Waste Of My Time
Apr 08, 2014

Spent a long time testing this weekend to a company who shall remain nameless.  objective test really tough but I aced it. 5 dictations....I scored 96.6 out of 97. not good enuf. 19 years means nothing? on to bigger and better pastures... ...

Mttest.com - What A Waste Of My Time
Sep 17, 2010

I just had to say that when I see a company looking for MTs and they have to test through mttest, I cross them off my list of potential employment.  What a waste of my time.  Took it years ago and would never do it again.  There has to be some other way or just look at a person's resume and phone previous employers.  If I have over 25 years of experience, took pride in getting my CMT and have tons of experience in every specialty, chances are I am a good bet.  Just venting. ...

Dont Waste Your Time Trying To Fix ASR
Apr 17, 2012

One instance I sent something in and THEY spelled it wrong and blamed us for spelling it wrong in the reports..the rest of them I get,,, "I checked and there is nothing in the system for that to be happening...the MTs are doing it wrong so that ASR is picking it up and making it print out that way"  perhaps your manager needs to send out a message...Well if you mark it NEVER to capitalize then it should never capitalize and even if they are right how come on one report the stuff is capped a ...

Babbletype - Don't Waste Your Time On This Guy
May 30, 2012

Don't waste your time on this guy.  The test is ridiculous, and the pay is peanuts.  They are having offshore "transcribers" type GENERAL AND CORPORATE reports, and we all know how horrible OS "transcribers" are at figuring out the nuances of the English language.  Then the U.S. proofreader is going to have to fix all of the errors.  There will be no money to be made as an editor in this position.  OS "transcribers" can't even get the SOCIAL HISTORY section of a medical report rig ...

Whatever You Do, Do NOT Waste Your Time Responding To Any
Sep 24, 2012

MJOL ads.  This is a service requesting you to pay $110 for 3 months for their service!!  Complete waste of time!! ...

Your Favorite Waste Of Time Email?
Nov 12, 2012

As if we don't have enough BS to wade through and crap emails to read before trying to get a little money from them, I read an email that says "Here is a list of the previous MTIs that were renamed today."  Really?  Like that matters.  If I am going to spend my own time reading the emails that seem more like a trap on how they can keep from giving my my bonus, I would rather read a specific instruction....not that someone got paid to change the name of the instruction.  ...

Reversal Requests --why Do I Waste My Time?
Apr 16, 2015

Sent in request, my TM sent in on for next level.  Well, the powers above decided my placement of period and/or comma impacted the integrity of the record and should be scored as incorrect verbage rather than punctuation. The 1 point for verbage as opposed to .25 for punctuation makes that short report a fail.  Give us a frigging break.  Don't know why I waste my time.  Just when I calm down and think "working here isn't so bad", something l ...

Is Coding A Waste Of Time And Is It Really Be Outsourced To India?
May 20, 2010

this is quite worrisome! ...

Why I Won't Waste My Time Requesting Reversals Anymore.
Jan 27, 2015

When it is dictated that the patient had knee surgery, (a couple of other procedures), then says rotator cuff and patella surgery... would that be considered a repeat of the knee surgery?   How am I supposed to know if when he dictated this, he was referring to the same surgery or not?   I blanked it and got an error on a post audit.   If I had repeated a DX in the list, I would have been marked off for that---cannot win either way.      ...

I Guess Keystrokes Didn't Waste Enough People's Time
Oct 20, 2014

posting the same jobs for which they received 735 responses, mine included. 31 years of experience, multispecialty, 3 compatible computers, and must have got 100% on the easiest 'test' I've ever taken...I wonder which of us will 'get a life' first...and who's the bigger fool at this point, the poster or responders... jes' sayin'--know what I mean KB? ...

Too Much Time Too Little Money
Mar 03, 2010

Is anyone else as sick and tired of the amount of time spent (not being compensated for) reading about all the fluff at MQ during the last 3 years!  I am so out of here.  It's just a matter of time.  Good Bye MT all together.  ...

Any Suggestions To Turn NJA Time Into Money?
Aug 31, 2010

Does anyone know of anything worthwhile (i.e., money-making) to do while sitting around waiting for the next job to load?  My time is worth more than watching the clock tick away waiting for MQ to throw me a job here and there.  What irks me is how I have to make that wasted time up in my own free time, and not only that, but what time suits THEM best, i.e., Friday or Saturday nights.  The gaul.  Anyway, I was wondering how you all spend that idle time being more fruitful.&nb ...

Time Give Away = Money Down The Drain
May 20, 2011

Is anyone else fighting back against all the time we are expected to give away?  Every time they ask us to sit waiting for work to come in for 15 minutes, they are only paying minimum wage for your state.  If you are making more than this with your calculated base, they are cheating you!  I lose approximately $7 dollars an hour when asked to wait.  I for one have had enough!  Pray for me, as I may push this to the limit of losing my job, but when you think about it, that ...

Time Versus Money - Long Commute
Aug 01, 2012

I am doing some thinking about what is important to me. I have been looking at jobs on Indeed.com and found 2 coding jobs that I might qualify for down the line, but they both involve a 1-1/2 hour commute via public transportation each way. So that's 3 hours a day getting there and back. After working at home more than 10 years, that idea seems very daunting to me. I could look for work closer to home, but the pay would be considerably less doing outpatient coding for a dr's office ...

Make More Money Full Time At McDonalds
Jan 23, 2015

.07 cpl, paying once a month with a fee if direct deposit is utilized?  Geez, thought my job was hideous...  I could literally make more money working minimum wage 40 hours a week.  It is sad what this has come too. 19 years of hard work and dedication to watch it waste away...  ...

Pass Of Free Flow Or Passive Free Flow?
Feb 04, 2011

Negative aspiration and pass of free flow of saline into the peritoneum was observed. or is it passive free flow of saline? ...

QA Keeps Changing Pro-time To Pro-time Or Pro-time Or Pro-time....once And For All, Which Is Correct
Apr 07, 2011

x ...

Free At Last!!!
Oct 25, 2009

After working for MQ for nearly 5-1/2 years, I'm finally leaving.  The first 5 years were great!  Then they decided to force QAs to do transcription and ASR.  If I wanted to transcribe I would have applied for an MT job.  Not to mention the fact that I was making close to $16 an hour and now this has been reduce to around $11 and sometimes under $8.  It's MQs loss.  It's too bad they don't treat their valuable employees better.  I just love ...

Free At Last!
Nov 11, 2009

I'm giving notice that I'm quitting very soon!  I made good money until the last year or so and I'm leaving this job that I find boring and lonely (and now doesn't even pay well).  I'm going to be working for a doctor as a scribe and getting paid per hour!  Woo-hoo!!  The pay is not great but at least I will be out of the house and doing something a little different.  I will have human interaction too!  I'm burnt out beyond belief, ...

Im Free
May 04, 2010

You know I am no longer with MQ. I did not pass the audit and honestly I really did not care to. I have figured out why bother.  Why kill myself for short checks. I have worked with them for 12 years and I feel so free right now.  I also am working for another company on the side so that helps  :)   ...

Moo Free?
Nov 12, 2010

Is there a type of chondroitin called "Moo free"?  I found it online, but as far as I can tell, it's for dogs. ...

Free At Last Also!
Dec 04, 2012

Judging from some of the recent posts below, there looks to be an exodus of sorts from MModal and MT in general. I have joined that group. I left MModal last month to pursue another at-home job NOT IN MT with flexible schedule, hourly pay, and pays substantially more than what I made at MModal. Don't know what took me so long to "take the plunge" away from MT. After many years of MT with 12 of those years being with Medquist/MModal and the last 7 on the same accounts, I already miss the wo ...

Free At Last ...
Dec 08, 2013

FINALLY! I have finally managed to get out of MT permanently. I'll have to drive 30 minutes each way to work, but I will have the same shift I had working at home only for a guaranteed hourly wage! What an amazing Christmas present! Good luck to all of you who are trying to escape. ...

Free At Last
Nov 11, 2014

I just turned in my resignation.  I am free of the dreaded N at the end of next week. ...

Money
Mar 29, 2010

Call me greedy, but what can a new MT expect to earn the first couple of months? Based on having plenty of work and working around the clock. I am putting out at least 1100 lines a day for now.  What is considered a good line count? ...

BIG MONEY
Jul 28, 2010

Okay, so I signed on with Transcend because they said, "Do you want to be guaranteed $900 per pay period as full time?" Well, sure. That sure reeled me in. I had always been afraid they ran out of work. Now it turns out that you HAVE to earn $900 IN ORDER TO BE full time. Big difference! It's like saying, "If you win the Olympic gold medal, you'll be guaranteed a first-place finish!" Or, "If you win the election, you'll be guaranteed more votes than your opponent!" It's so ba ...

How Do I Get My Money?!
Nov 21, 2011

Ok, finally, the horrors have happened to me. All was well, but now I'm getting seriously pissed. I work 8 hour shifts 5 days a week. Those hours are mandatory. My pay is equalling less than minimum wage. I e-mailed the company asking them about having to pay me minimum wage given the mandatory hours. The only response I got was "I'll look into it." That was over a week ago. In addition, the platform we use that records our lines is not recording all my jobs! I write down all the job ...

If You're In It Just For The Money, Don't Become An MT
Sep 03, 2012

I've had the same line rate (9 cpl) for 5 years, and I notice the new accounts they offer MTs pay 7.5 or 8 cpl at most. I must admit, though that I do work for a great company (I've been with them 12 years); they offer lots of flexibility (no required shifts or hours, just a reasonable line quota), payment promptly by direct deposit twice a month like clockwork, an easy to use transcription platform and wonderful QA and support staff. I have a lot of job satisfaction, though for my yea ...

More Money
Sep 18, 2012

Do any MTs out there working for MM know how we can all get together and demand more money? they don't listen to us one at a time! ...