A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

being outsourced to M-Modal - Kicking&Screaming

Posted: Jul 10, 2012

I have a few questions for anyone who is in fact an employee of M-Modal.  My current employer just informed us that we were being outsourced to M-Modal.  We, being 12-13 MTs, are really freaking out.  We are hearing all of these "not so good" reviews and really we do not know who or what to believe.  Management says we will be offered jobs individually with M-Modal, as they really want to keep the current MTs on the region and doing this hospital's transcription, but from what I gather M-Modal has a habit of changing that.  We will already be losing pay with this decision, and so if the horror stories I am hearing are true, then I'm not so sure M-Modal would be the place for me either.  I am trying to be proactive instead of reactive concerning my future as a MT, however, I get the feeling that M-Modal has made promises to my employer, as well as others, that are just not true.  I understand there is chaos in each transcription service, but not ever having to work for one before is quite scary to me.  I sure feel like I am being thrown under the bus and it is so hard to be positive with this proposed move on my employer's part.  I frankly am just sick thinking about it.  So, my real question is:  Has anyone been in this position where your current employer decided to outsource the whole transcription department to M-Modal, and what they told you it would be like, really was?

Mine wasn't with M*Modal, but... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....when our hospital employees were outsourced to a smaller MTSO (which has since then been swallowed up by M*Modal, too), we were all offered jobs with the promise that "nothing will change." It's my impression that when the hospital outsourced our work, this MTSO had to promise that we would all be offered jobs as part of the deal.

After a while, I got the distinct impression that this was just a promise made by the MTSO (that nothing would change) mainly so they could get the job. Within a couple of months, EVERYTHING changed. For one thing, we were not originally told anything about VR and were only quoted pay rates for CPL on straight typing. After two months, it was announced to us, like it was some big GOOD NEWS, that we would be adding in VR at a "slightly lower rate." That is a quote. The truth was that the VR was less than half the rate of straight typing. We were also told that "the bulk of the work will still be straight typing" at the higher rate. This also ended up being completely untrue. I ended up, most days, doing two straight typing jobs with the rest being VR, and I'm not exaggerating. "The bulk of the work," to me, usually means "the majority of the work."

Of course, I don't know exactly what your experience would be with your hospital's transition to M*Modal, but my guess is that it could be similar to ours.

If only I could have gotten this kind of feedback when I was making the decision to accept the job with the MTSO! I didn't even know about this forum at the time; but then, even if I had, the MTSO that I went with had a pretty good reputation, and there was not much ever written about them on this site. Now, you can see how much there is with M*Modal, so, hopefully that will help you make your decision.....if you have the luxury of deciding to accept or not, that is. We had 6 days to make our decision, and, for me, that wasn't enough time to line up any other health insurance, so I accepted. I regretted that decision, but hindsight is 20/20. I was also "stuck" because I had to keep my health insurance in place.

Good luck....I know how heartsick you must feel right now. I had been with my hospital for close to 20 years, and it was a huge shock for me.

Oh, I should have also said.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
....that you should pay very close attention to the wording they use. A big red flag is if they say something will be a certain way "for now." I came to realize that that was a common way for them to make a promise that was likely to later change. That way, they can make the statement with a straight face, a clear conscience, and the ability to pass a lie detector test while saying it!

Kicking&Screaming.... - (S/M)

[ In Reply To ..]
....if you look here later and can't find your post, it might have gotten moved by the moderator over to the "M*Modal" board. Look at the "Navigation" list on the left, and you can click on M*Modal. You will find a LOT of feedback about the company there, too.

The Transition - Kicking&Screaming

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for your input. That is exactly how I feel that what is said at first is not how it will be at all. The thing that makes me sick is that my employer has not yet signed the contract with M-Modal but the decision has been made to outsource to them, and our lead MT sent an email to all MTs and the "higher ups" with quotes or reviews on M-Modal from others and the lead MT got called on the carpet for doing it. And when that happened he was told of the promises once again, so my employer is completely snowed by M-Modal and that is sad. Anway, at least we have up to I think 90 days before it all takes effect, so at least I have time to bail if and when the right job comes my way.

transition - kicking&screaming - naturegal

[ In Reply To ..]
The best thing you can do is get your resume updated and start sending out right away. I know it's a shock and will take time to digest, but you need to watch out for you, #1. Believe me, MModal is only for themselves and they don't care one bit about any MT's welfare as far as being able to make a living and a meager one at that. They flat out do not tell the truth and they do have a way of putting things so that they don't get their a____ in a crack, so to speak. Not only do they get to you physically, but emotionally the job will drag you down and wear you out with all of the shenanigans that they pull on a very consistent basis. And if you are sole supporter in your family you will find yourself stressed to the max trying to make ends meet -- that's the biggest consideration you need to think about.

Tell yourself that MModal does not deserve to have you, so get that resume out there and hopefully you will find something that's going to be better for you. Don't know how far you are from retirement but you might even consider getting out of MT business altogether because the future of it is definitely not in our best interest with any of the companies.

The most important thing you can do is not sit back and think that it might be okay. See what else is out there. Believe, me, you won't regret it.

Take care and will be hoping that you and your fellow MT's make the right decision based on your needs and not the false hopes that MModal will give you.

MModal-FutureNet - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Does anyone work for FutureNet doing "MModal" work? FN has been slowly changing ALL their accounts to "MModal" but has not given any specifics, i.e. pay rate, platform, etc. regarding MModal. Just got a note yesterday that the account I work on with them is changing to MModal and if I still want a job with them to contact them to get "transitioned." Any input?

It's not a good thing, I can tell ya - Wheels on the bus go round and round

[ In Reply To ..]
Your work will probably end up in India. Do a google search. Check Vern Davenport. More and more and more of US transcription work is going to India. Sad fact.

Here It Is - Alias

[ In Reply To ..]
Here is how things will probably play out: First, you will be kept on your hospital account, probably straight typing at first, and then you will notice less and less work on that account. That is because they're sneaking it away from you and off-shoring to India. Next, you will be given a new account doing mostly VR, and buddy get ready, because that is when the pay cut hits and hits hard. I'd say you will have maybe a good 3-4 months before things start changing completely for you. Forget about the good money you've been making. You will be lucky to pull in $600-$800 in every 2 weeks (if you're lucky maybe $1000. Oh, and I don't believe anybody has mentioned the fact that they monitor your every move: How many times you use the mouse vs shortcuts, how often you get up from your desk, etc. They call this the "Boost Program." It's pretty much Big Brother in your home. If the pay doesn't get you, the stress will. Please run for your life.

Oh, and don't forget... - get ready to work every holiday

[ In Reply To ..]
If you are scheduled to work the day the holiday falls on, you must work it, unless you can get your manager to let you off. Good luck.

You will eventually be getting 99.9% voice recognition and that means way less pay - Daisy

[ In Reply To ..]
If at all possible, seek another profession. Medical transcription is becoming a thing of the past. We are now mostly "editors" and making far less money. Speech or voice recognition is taking over, and it is a very tedious job to edit document after document. The fact is,the technology has a long way to go, and some documents are totally worthless and you end up correcting most of it for half the pay you used to get. Don't be surprised if one day the facility you currently work for suddenly disappears. It will have been outsourced to India. They work for practically nothing, and the bottom line for MModal is making money - nevermind the quality of work. Another thing - they want you to work faster, faster, faster. Very sad...

deja vu - tmt

[ In Reply To ..]
MedQuist took over my job and we MTs were promised the world! We were told that their updated version of DocQscribe was sooooo much better than what we were currently using, that we'd be able to double our productivity with ease. It was actually worse, because the VR was NOT any better and we had to do more unpaid work, like entering referring physicians and surgical assistants and other stuff into the demographics page, which is unpaid work.

The only reason they wanted us to work for them was because they needed us to fill in the blanks that their current MTs can't.

Also, if they're still offering that $1000 sign-on bonus WITHOUT a contract commitment, as yourself why and how they can afford that, when no other company offers it.

I immediately ran out of work with my previous employer, and in order to keep working, I was given nothing but random clients and difficult dictators. I was averaging about $10/hr (4/9.5).

Oh, yeah, also they DIDN'T INCLUDE THE SHIFT DIFF ON VR REPORTS!. The shift diff only applied to straight typing!

I could also go on about my CCM, but she only existed when she wanted something.

This was about 2 years ago.

Whatever line rate you are promised will change - many in that situation

[ In Reply To ..]
Many times Medquist or Mmodal will promise the new MTs a higher line rate to make up for difference in PTO or actually just as a bribe to the hospital so the hospital can sign the contract with a clear conscience thinking their MTs will be taken care. There were some MTs that were making 12 or more, I knew one at 13.5. Then last year Medquist decided to "even out the tiers" and cut everyone to the same pay based on their tiers. Those who were grandfathered in at higher rates took a huge hit and the higher rates they were promised went away.

All anyone is saying is listen carefully to what they say especially for words like "for now" or "at this time", get anything in writing you can and start putting your resume together for when the time comes that you need to get out. Proactive is definitely better than reactive.

Hospital takeovers - Anet

[ In Reply To ..]
Same thing happened to me when our hospital was taken over by Precyse. They offered us the world and promised we would stay on our hospital's work. Within 3 months I never received our hospital's work anymore. Couldn't make line count with continually changing accounts -- could do as many as 5 different hospitals all over the country. Everything was a total scam. Not one of the original transcriptionists still work for this company.

don't believe MM - mouse

[ In Reply To ..]
Good luck to you. I left after 13 years. I don't know how a precious few were fortunate enough to stay on 1 or 2 accounts, but the majority of us are jerked all over the country. Each hosp/clinic has their own set of rules, some 7-8 pages long, so be prepared to do lots of reading before you ever hit a key stroke. Yes work those holidays, then be without work for the following 1, 2 and sometimes 3 days. Don't know what "tier" you are, but be prepared to be paid the lowest tier rate for anything over the tiniest % of reports that go to QA thanks to the First Time Right policy. Be prepared for horrible sound quality on the VR. The "Boost" program I ignored for the most part..they got what they (don't) pay for, so the Boost information was of no use to me. Be prepared to not be paid for a job done because of system failure and inability to upload the job causing it to go to another MT who does get paid for doing it a second time (has happened to me many times). I worked for 40 minutes on an extremely long job and lost it in the upload phase..so worked for MM for absolutely nothing for that job. I see in the recent posts now there are lots and lots of problems with the system. I got out by the skin of my teeth. Be prepared for lots of discrepancies by QA as you will never please them all. Many times I averaged $8-9/hr, did good to hit $10 and I was tier 3. You cannot believe what you are told by MM. Just...be prepared. Good luck to you.

I was told the hospital "wanted" me to make the sm - ex-MQer

[ In Reply To ..]
move to keep me on the account. I guess they liked me but about 4 weeks later I was told I was making too many mistakes and taken off the account.

That was not the case. I heard my manager who came with us was told by the Q that they put MTs on different accounts than they are used to and were changing everything around. My one manager quit 1 month after going with them and the other one quit about the time this "change" took place. I was thrown into multiple accounts and changed from manager to manager because they will move your accounts into the region they belong.

I had worked for the Q for 17 years and lately just as a part timer and doing this other job as my main job.

I ended up quitting when they said my audit wasn't 99% and so I was only going to get paid 3 cpl instead of 6 for voice (most of it is voice) and I can't live on that! I am a single person.

So after all that time, I left and have just started a new job that I hope I will like. So far it seems okay. Glad to be gone from the Q!

it will be okay for awhile - Drone

[ In Reply To ..]
but it won't last. You might as well take the job for now, but don't let your guard down. Keep feelers out for another job in your area (there may not be any; no inhouse in my area anymore, anywhere). As soon as the changes start, e.g., some bonus you have now? but MModal is taking it away? they are moving you to another account? they can no longer pay you what you are making now per line? it will be time to bail.

Dear K&S - MT Gone

[ In Reply To ..]
I've told "new to M*Modal" folks this many times, so someone is bound to complain I'm repeating myself. I worked for another MTSO, and was doing okay. The the "Q" (now MM) bought us out. Came on here, read the horror stories, and thought they must be slackers. After the 1st so-called MT reward (pay cut-loss of bonuses) I read the writing on the wall and began "transitioning" away from them by going to more hours for more $$/hr. with another employer I was working for very PT. Was fortunate enough to have a CCM who worked with my hours-wise so I could stay on MM part time too. By the time my pay was cut again, then my account of 10 years vanished without warning, about that time my other job went to full time (thankfully.) Otherwise I'm pretty sure I'd be on the street by now. I count my blessings every day, but I also credit myself with paying attention to what was going on....Oh, this all happened w/in a few months of them buying us out, and I understand they have sped up the process of cutting pay, taking accounts away, etc. Good luck. I tried to remain positive, but I also had to face reality!!! Get you resume dusted off, find something part-time to gain new skills, and be ready to hit the ground running, cuz you're gonna have to. Best of luck.

m modal - frustrated!

[ In Reply To ..]
so weird - we were informed the exact same thing on Tuesday morning at 8 a.m. 90 some transcriptionists in our group. A lot of us have been at this clinic for a very long time, myself 30 years. Are the promises M Modal made going to be realized - 3 year guaranteed job contract, will be primarily typing for the clinic we just left. I am in the same boat you are - hopefully somebody will tell us the real scoop.

M-Modal Frustrated - Kicking&Screaming

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, that is very weird. Seems like M-Modal has the monopoly and it doesn't look good for anyone. All I know is that they will not suck me in, no way, no how. I'm headed off to greener pastures, as really the WalMart job isn't looking all that bad now! I just want to be able to smile again.

Similar Messages:

My Company Was Outsourced To M*Modal.
Jul 08, 2014

Hi: My company has been outsourced to M*Modal. I am used to getting paid by the hour. I wanted to know from transcriptonists who are presently hired by them, how much can I expect realistically to make in 4 hours working part-time from Tuesday to Saturday? Can someone please respond to this post. Thank you, Worried about future pay.... :( ...

My Hospital Outsourced To M*Modal.
May 05, 2015

So I've been a transcriptionist for 15 years, the last 8 years I've been self-employed, contracted to a local hospital (recently bought out by a bigger hospital), and several family practices and nursing homes.  The hospital decided to oursource transcription to M*Modal, with each of us getting an "offer" from M*Modal (thus preventing the employed transcriptionists from being able to draw unemployment, nice).  I accepted the offer while still looking into other jobs locally, ...

OUTSOURCED
May 25, 2010

I was getting ready to start coding classes and started reading about it being outsourced.  I do not want to be in the same boat as I am now with transcription. Should I just give up on coding all together and look into something else? ...

Outsourced Again
Dec 28, 2011

The hospital where I worked decided to outsource us. They did it in the worst way possible, they call us in for a meeting but it is not on the usual date of our dept meetings. The CFO, HR, and the new transcription company are at the head of the table. The CFO says, "the hospital has decided to award our transcription to ______ (starts with a W)." That's all he said! No gratitude (some have worked there for 40, 24, 11, 8 years), no severance package. By state or federal law, when they l ...

OUTSOURCED!!!!!
Jul 05, 2013

Nuance just bought our hospital.   :(    Is all this stuff true on these boards?   Should we transition or bail?   I am so very scared after reading all this stuff.   ...

Just Getting Outsourced!!
Jan 12, 2015

Getting outsourced to Precyse?  Anybody know anything? Must work at least one day a weekend, less money........could retire, I am 62, but not much $$ there! ...

Outsourced To Transcend
Jan 27, 2012

Just found out my hospital job is being outsourced to Transcend.  They offered me job and promise we can keep same account.  The line rate is about the same. They said we would keep same schedules.  Would have to learn Voice Rec.    Anybody else go through this.  We only have 2 days to give them an answer.  ...

More Fields Being Outsourced - S/m
Jul 26, 2012

I was reading the Tampa Tribune last night.  There was an article regarding outsourcing.  It talked about x-rays and scans being sent to India and the Phillipines (which we all know happens), but the article said now insurance companies, instead of having nurses on staff to assist patients pre and post-op, as well as answering medical questions, will be using "overseas people" in, again, India and the Phillipines.  Why you ask?  Because they work for peanuts.  Personall ...

Signs Job Outsourced
Aug 11, 2013

I have read the conversations here with such deep compassion for the fear and hopelessness most are experiencing in this transition from proud profession to extinction.  From my cocoon of full benefit hospital system position, I still deeply empathized with my fellow MTs in distress.  I have the sense that I will soon join your ranks and would like to ask what are the signs that your hospital/service is preparing to "save money" by throwing their dedicated employees into the giant cess ...

Coding Is Being Outsourced
Sep 24, 2013

Have 2 year degree and was a coder at a hospital until it went to India. Don't waste your time or money on these classes or the exam. There are no jobs. All medical record work is going to India, same as transcription. ...

Questions To Ask MT Service--being Outsourced...
Jan 22, 2010

Our transcription department was informed yesterday that we are going to be laid off and our work outsourced to 1 of 2 companies vying for the contract.  Of course, as in most cases, we transcriptionists have been given the option to apply to work for the company who is given the contract.  I'm wondering if any of you gals here might have suggestions as to what kinds of questions to ask the "recruiters" of these companies besides the obvious, i.e., pay per line, benefits, shift di ...

MModal Hiring Outsourced? Since When?
Jul 18, 2012

Looking at MModal website and it used to have a careers link.  I don't see that anymore, but on the contact page it looks to me like hiring is now being done at a place called TheRightThingInc.Com.  ...

Mediscribes Our Hospital Outsourced
Aug 05, 2012

Our area hospital just outsourced 23 medical transcribers jobs to Mediscribes.   ...

Who Is The Company That Outsourced To India
Dec 16, 2012

RSS    Text Size Print  Share This Home / news / local / $140 Million Verdict in Baldwin County (File) By: WKRG Staff | WKRG Published: December 14, 2012 Updated: December 14, 2012 - 1:54 PM »  Comments | Post a Comment BALDWIN COUNTY, Alabama -- On December 13, 2012, a Baldwin County, Alabama, jury returned a 140 million wrongful death verdict. The lawsuit stated Thomas Hospital outsourced its medical transcription service to I ...

Possibly About To Be Outsourced To Mediscribes
Aug 07, 2013

Management says they are considering 4 MTSOs, and that we will probably be offered jobs with whichever they choose. Mediscribes is one of the four, so we have lots of questions about Mediscribes: Has anyone else here been hired by Mediscribes because their hospital outsourced to them? Did they keep you on the same account? Did they bring you on at one rate of pay, then cut your pay later (like Nuance does)? If yes, how much later and to what rate of pay? And for any Mediscribe ...

India Outsourcing Being Outsourced
Oct 21, 2013

Forgive me if this topic has been covered and/or beat to death, but were most of you aware that not only does Nuance outsource some/a good portion of the work to India, but that Nuance India actually outsources their work to other companies? It is one thing that they're sending it oversees in the first place, but then once it goes to another company, and potentially another one after that if they're anything like US companies... I have an issue with that.  This makes me so sick! ...

My Hospital Outsourced Our Department Today.
Mar 01, 2010

I'm pretty bitter! ...

Outsourced Call Centers Return To U.S.
Aug 27, 2010

Nothing about MT but its a start. Here's the link: http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=129406588&ft=1&f=1003 ...

Outsourced Episode On Dewali Holiday
Jan 03, 2011

Did anyone see this episode a few days ago? Very interesting. I don't usually watch this, caught it by accident this time, but could we learn something about the Indian culture to help us get our jobs back??? Am I just dreaming or crazy? Still not back to normal after being forced out of my $20/hour job by NJA and min wage, now working at one of the big box stores for a little more, a lot of lifting, but can make it with partial unemployment. It's hard to start over at my age 60+ but I ...

Looks Like They Outsourced The Email People To India Too
Apr 08, 2013

Logged in to Ipswitch today with multiple spam emails that should be considered porn along with some emails that state I purchased plane tickets and internet pharmacy things when I did not.  This is what my raise went for instead?  I get more email that is spam than I do actual emails from Mmodal.  Looks like India recently got the job of monitoring the email.  Fantastic job guys.  Even my personal email does a better job at filtering t ...

Hospital In Steubenville, Ohio Outsourced
Jan 08, 2015

Does anyone know which "national company" is going to be doing the transcription at the hospital in Steubenville, Ohio?  Just saw on the news tonight that the whole department is being outsourced.  ...

Outsourced To Amphion - Took Job With Them, You Guys Have Recent Opinions?
Mar 05, 2010

I researched them a couple of years ago and people liked working for them.  This still the case? ...

Is Coding A Waste Of Time And Is It Really Be Outsourced To India?
May 20, 2010

this is quite worrisome! ...

We Just Found Out Our Hospital Jobs Have Been Outsourced To Nuance.... Sm
Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.    I want to ask them questions b ...

Outsourced Call Center Work Being Brought Back To The US
Aug 18, 2010

Its about time!!!  Hopefully some MT will follow suit? http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Investing/top-stocks/default.aspx?feat=1794247&GT1=33002 ...

Precyse Solutions - Medical Records Department Has Just Been Outsourced
Sep 15, 2010

Our medical records department has just been outsourced to Precyse solutions.  I have looked at a lot of posts, but most are old and I was wondering if anyone has any input to help me decide to take a job there.... thanks in advance! ...

Is Nuance And M-Modal Joint Services? Posting Here For Nuance AC, Got Email To Test For M-Modal.
May 01, 2012

I thought they were 2 different services.  Everyone is buying out everyone, so who knows.  All the small companies have been merged I guess.  I thought Nuance was out of New York and were the primary with VR.  Maybe one has to keep up with the changes and be a member and pay the dues and go to the meetings with AAMT and be a CMT to keep up with the changes, even though you still get 4 cents. ...

NJA, Same Time As Last Night. Jobs "outsourced" Maybe? Nm
Jun 02, 2010

Timing just seems odd, about the time of start of business on other side of the world. ...

M*Modal VR
Sep 25, 2010

I have another question.  When one does a draft in VR, does MT get paid for all lines in the draft or would an MT get paid if it has to be edited.  I will be trying to learn this in the next few weeks and I am scared to death I will not catch on and then I might be without a job.   I have a feeling I might not get paid for the whole draft report.  Then again it may depend on the company.  Any opinions please.   Thanks  ...

The M*Modal Man...
Jan 24, 2012

...looks like he's dropping a deuce.  Sorry, but he does.   Also, how do you pronounce the name of the company?  I say it to rhyme with immobile - immodal.   ...