A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

signs job outsourced - smallCbigB

Posted: Aug 11, 2013

I have read the conversations here with such deep compassion for the fear and hopelessness most are experiencing in this transition from proud profession to extinction.  From my cocoon of full benefit hospital system position, I still deeply empathized with my fellow MTs in distress.  I have the sense that I will soon join your ranks and would like to ask what are the signs that your hospital/service is preparing to "save money" by throwing their dedicated employees into the giant cesspool of outsourcing? I await your responses with a lump in my throat and a tear in my eye.  Thank you.

I think if I were - fortunate

[ In Reply To ..]
enough to have a nice hospital job, I would be well beyond waiting for "signs" that they are getting ready to outsource, especially after visiting this board. From what I can gather, many are just called into a conference call one day without any warning and poof, your job is gone and you have X amount of time to accept a job with MM or N.

Instead of waiting with a lump and a tear, I would be networking, applying, taking advantage of tuition assistance, kissing necessary posteriors and pretty much expecting the worst. I would be doing this in a methodical way like preparing for a hurricane, earthquake or other disaster. One should have all this in place well before the signs even appear.

Precyse does the same thing except they have - a plant at the client first.

[ In Reply To ..]
All of a sudden a guy shows up at the hospital as a vice president of some kind, works there until he seals the deal then disappears. Precyse people meet with the MTs, lie to them with promises of day shift hours and pay rates. Then when they come here, reality sets in when their schedules are changed, they aren't making what they were promised, and most of the client ex-MTs are either fired or quit. Welcome to the real world. If some dude shows up as a new vice president of something that wasn't there before, start job hunting.

Signs - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
My transition took place gradually over a number of years. We outsourced a certain percentage of work and there were no new hires. When plans were being made for complete outsourcing, we had meetings with our management team who told us it was coming, probably about a year in advance. People had time to look elsewhere, retire or go back to school. Anyone who left got a great severance package. Several of us stayed until the very end and then were placed in other jobs in-house, so that could happen at your facility too. Where I work, they were pretty up front about what was going to happen. Nobody went to work for the outsource company, and as far as I know, no one came on site to "seal the deal." For me, getting out of there was probably the best thing that could have happened, just remember that there is life after MT outsourcing.

Precyse - anet

[ In Reply To ..]
WOW, this is exactly what happened at the hospital where I worked. Did not get Precyse sign on bonus as other MT's would have, promised we would stay on our hospital account, etc. After 1 week, we were doing hospitals all over the country and rarely got our own hospital to transcribe. Precyse told us nothing but lies.
Interim HIM Director positions - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Then the interim director swoops in for the kill.
Interim HIM director?? - Wondering why "interim"
[ In Reply To ..]
Possibly at a facility you know, there happened to be an interim HIM director, but when MT is eliminated, HIM stays.

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
The biggest threat is voice recognition technology, which is going to begin replacing outsourcing contracts by allowing hospitals to simply install software that will transcribe directly into the EHR. We already have it. Our doctors use it successfully and like it.

My suggestion is that you do not sit passively waiting for the ax to fall. Now is the time to learn and move into a new career. Considering what you do now, the easiest would be HIT. Your goal should be to get as far as possible into it as quickly as possible so that you can get into a new job before or when your current job is eliminated. Your hospital is more likely to place you internally if you have training they can use.

For some reason, MTs do not seem to see themselves as part of the larger "proud profession" of health information administration. That profession is changing and growing, with many new jobs coming up. Your existing skills can be used in clinical documentation improvement, coding, in areas dealing with the EHR, and other areas. With additional training, you can be an asset in any of them.

AHIMA has a career map on their website that can help you see the many career choices available to you. They all tie together in HIA, with many possible routes from one to another. You can be proud in them just as you are proud now. Instead of mourning the death of your current job, see how you can transform those skills into something equally useful and rewarding.

Everything has a time and a season.

For us, it went down like this: - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
First, all of our hospital's MTs were trained on DocQScribe...we were told that our jobs were going to be under a new umbrella of our parent corporation, and that's the program that this new umbrella uses.

After a few weeks of getting used to DQS, we were scheduled to have our usual monthly meeting one day, but representatives from our hospital's HR Dept were going to be in attendance. We thought it was so they could explain the changes we would see under this new umbrella of our parent corporation. Nope; it was so they could announce that we were being laid off, and they were there to explain our severance and COBRA, etc. We were also joined at that meeting by the VP and recruiter for the outsourcing company that was taking over my hospital's work, and we were simultaneously offered jobs with that outsourcing company.

So, from my perspective and experience, I would say some clues are if you start training on a totally new system AND if your hospital's HR people are going to be in attendance at a meeting. Those were the two biggies we saw, in hindsight.

Good luck. I know it's hard to start looking for something else if one is still in denial (i.e., "Well, maybe we WILL still have jobs here..."), but I think someone else gave you some good advice to start thinking about an exit plan. The ones in my dept. who got out a couple months before this all happened are the ones who got whatever remaining MT jobs were left in our community. At this point in MT history, though, I would consider something besides an MT job, if possible.

Me again - BTDT

[ In Reply To ..]
On the subject of denial: One of my former co-workers who actually went to nursing school and could do just about anything she wanted, is still holding out for things in MT to go back to the way they were before the layoff and talks about how "wonderful" that department was. That was not my experience, but to each their own. Yes, it is good advice to have an exit plan but also remember that if you leave, you lose your seniority and benefits, you will also lose a chance at applying for internal jobs. I studied coding in the year that we were given and was placed in an HIM job working with the EHR system. Don't panic and don't think that you have to jump at the first thing that comes your way either. I agree to try and avoid MT if you can.

This is actually excellent advice. - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm the person who posted just above you here. I want to add that you're giving some great advice to look at applying for internal jobs, for the reasons you mention: keeping yours "years of service," PTO hours, and other benefits through the hospital.

If I could wave a magic wand and do it all over again, that's what I wish I had done. I had no idea at the time that the MT world as we knew it was coming to an end. I had never worked for an MTSO or even been paid by the line prior to being laid off. I was always a very high producer, so I figured it HAD to balance out to about the same...right??? :-D (haha)

My niece works in the human resources world, and she told me that it's NEVER a good sign if HR is going to be there at your department meeting. She warned me beforehand that it sounded like it was going to be a lay-off meeting, but I thought, "Nahhhh....they wouldn't have spent all that time training us on a new system; plus, they TOLD us we would still be employees of our parent company!"

Forewarned is forearmed. I was too trusting and so naive.

We had no warning. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
At our routine monthly meeting, we were introduced to the MedQuist recruiter and then given our 2 weeks' notice.

replies - smallBbigC

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for responses. I have searched within my present organization for related positions and anything I found paid half what I make now and I simply cant support myself on that. I have an interview with a much more prestigious
hospital tomorrow for inhouse, but with small pay cut, unappealing shift, and single worktype which I dont particularly care for. That is why I was asking for signs. Dont know whether to stay or go. To me, the thought of going back in-house is like willingly entering a prison cell.

Curious as to what positions paid half as much - Ours sure would not

[ In Reply To ..]
What related positions paid half as much? What higher-paying jobs could you qualify for with additional education?
Ours sure would not - bigClittleB
[ In Reply To ..]
I am not sure what that means. Shirley you do not expect one to post specifics that would identify a person or place on this board after one of the posters was fired for such. Lets just say a position that utilized the knowledge of medical terminology without any other licenses, degrees, or certiferates. As far as going back to school to learn something new, realize that many MTs are north of 59 and incurring student loans to repay in dotage is not realistic.
Really? You think "file clerk" is divulging - too much information?
[ In Reply To ..]
You can't provide a generic name for the type of job?

At my facility, just about any HIM employee makes more than an MT. File operations, release of information, transcription coordinator. Even our secretary.
Really? repy - bigfiddlenohat
[ In Reply To ..]
That's how it is at your facility huh? Well obviously you smoked out a truth bender! Good catch, Shurlok. Question anyone who does not bark out the requestd answer like a seal on your command! I personally would never work at a facility where the file clerks and patient transporters made more than the MLSs, but that is just me. Not doubting YOUR facts, o'course.

No one said patient transporters made more - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
NM
like that - fiddleDD
[ In Reply To ..]
backing away from district attorney to vague third person when challenged.

Some signs: - MTBankAccount

[ In Reply To ..]
When MTs quit or retire, they aren't replaced.

Your Supervisor starts finding fault with everything the MTs do.

Your cost-of-living raises (if you even still get them anymore) get smaller and smaller.

Even though you're an experienced, long-time employee who can transcribe anything the hospital throws at you, your yearly reviews go from glowing to you're-about-to-be-written-up.

The hospital begins to exclude your department from social functions it was formerly included in.

Your supervisor is rarely in his/her office anymore, spends more time in other parts of the hospital. Especially telling is if your supervisor has a second office in another part of the hospital.

Your hospital begins to use VR, or point-and-click MR software.

Our first sign: (sm) - MTaGoGo

[ In Reply To ..]
As people retired or moved away, they weren't replaced.

A sign to come later on: Your manager and director stop making eye contact with you.

Similar Messages:

OUTSOURCED
May 25, 2010

I was getting ready to start coding classes and started reading about it being outsourced.  I do not want to be in the same boat as I am now with transcription. Should I just give up on coding all together and look into something else? ...

L Signs ??
May 06, 2011

Extraocular muscles intact.  (L signs) clear.  No wheezes  ...

Outsourced Again
Dec 28, 2011

The hospital where I worked decided to outsource us. They did it in the worst way possible, they call us in for a meeting but it is not on the usual date of our dept meetings. The CFO, HR, and the new transcription company are at the head of the table. The CFO says, "the hospital has decided to award our transcription to ______ (starts with a W)." That's all he said! No gratitude (some have worked there for 40, 24, 11, 8 years), no severance package. By state or federal law, when they l ...

OUTSOURCED!!!!!
Jul 05, 2013

Nuance just bought our hospital.   :(    Is all this stuff true on these boards?   Should we transition or bail?   I am so very scared after reading all this stuff.   ...

Just Getting Outsourced!!
Jan 12, 2015

Getting outsourced to Precyse?  Anybody know anything? Must work at least one day a weekend, less money........could retire, I am 62, but not much $$ there! ...

Revandibrit Signs??
Oct 21, 2009

The patient has a UTI. "Abdomen is soft and non-tender. No revandabrit signs" revandibrit??? ...

Thyroid Eye Signs? Nm
Oct 21, 2009

nm ...

No Signs Of New S/l Papilardiracteroid
Dec 07, 2009

No signs of new s/l papilardiracteroid.  Wounds are currently healing. ...

H & P Vital Signs:
Jan 25, 2011

Please help.....I know I've heard this before but am drawing a complete blank....On examination, temperature 97, blood pressure 139/73, heart rate 89, respiratory rate 16.  She is 93% s/l on rule _______.  She runs this and General Appearance together and I just can't get it.  Thank you so much for any help. ...

S/l Cut Signs Or Cussign?? See More...
Oct 05, 2011

Persistent cough with mild progressive dyspnea with advanced mass-like consolidation with (cut sign, cussign, cufsine) noted within right lung parenchyma.    This is an english-speaking doctor, very clear... ...

S/l Table Signs
Oct 15, 2011

No past reports to look this up and doctor does not repeat in the report. "# weeks post s/l table signs, left index"   The only thing it mentions about the index is it has a hypertrophic scar. Any ideas? Thank you avulsion injury laceration ...

Outsourced To Transcend
Jan 27, 2012

Just found out my hospital job is being outsourced to Transcend.  They offered me job and promise we can keep same account.  The line rate is about the same. They said we would keep same schedules.  Would have to learn Voice Rec.    Anybody else go through this.  We only have 2 days to give them an answer.  ...

Plus And Minus Signs
Apr 16, 2012

Does anyone else have this rule with transcription?  I was told a while back and cannot remember where I heard it that you are not to use plus or minus signs anymore unless using them for actual math.  For example, positive bowel sounds instead of + bowel sounds, or +2 pedal edema should be plus-2 pedal edema. ...

Being Outsourced To M-Modal
Jul 10, 2012

I have a few questions for anyone who is in fact an employee of M-Modal.  My current employer just informed us that we were being outsourced to M-Modal.  We, being 12-13 MTs, are really freaking out.  We are hearing all of these "not so good" reviews and really we do not know who or what to believe.  Management says we will be offered jobs individually with M-Modal, as they really want to keep the current MTs on the region and doing this hospital's transcription, but from what I gathe ...

More Fields Being Outsourced - S/m
Jul 26, 2012

I was reading the Tampa Tribune last night.  There was an article regarding outsourcing.  It talked about x-rays and scans being sent to India and the Phillipines (which we all know happens), but the article said now insurance companies, instead of having nurses on staff to assist patients pre and post-op, as well as answering medical questions, will be using "overseas people" in, again, India and the Phillipines.  Why you ask?  Because they work for peanuts.  Personall ...

Coding Is Being Outsourced
Sep 24, 2013

Have 2 year degree and was a coder at a hospital until it went to India. Don't waste your time or money on these classes or the exam. There are no jobs. All medical record work is going to India, same as transcription. ...

Outsourcing Signs??
Jan 10, 2014

Hi everyone, new to this forum.  I work for a hospital and a lot of us are getting a bad vibe lately, we work from home but we are noticing little things happening, we keep losing our connections, Joblister keeps disconnecting and we are told the firewall is being updated.  Was wondering if anyone noticed little things like this before they were outsourced.  Thank you ...

Questions To Ask MT Service--being Outsourced...
Jan 22, 2010

Our transcription department was informed yesterday that we are going to be laid off and our work outsourced to 1 of 2 companies vying for the contract.  Of course, as in most cases, we transcriptionists have been given the option to apply to work for the company who is given the contract.  I'm wondering if any of you gals here might have suggestions as to what kinds of questions to ask the "recruiters" of these companies besides the obvious, i.e., pay per line, benefits, shift di ...

Vital Signs Question
Jul 18, 2010

Sometimes one of my doctors will just state the numbers when giving vital signs.  Just wonder how some of you handle this? ...

Is There A Short Cut To Remove All @ Signs At Once?
Oct 26, 2010

. ...

Tinel's And <sickleseen?> Signs ?
Apr 12, 2012

I have a doctor who, under the neurological exam section, says, Deep tendon reflexes were intact.  Tinel's and <s/l sickelseen> signs were both negative. Romberg was negative..." Thanks to anyone who might have a clue! ...

MModal Hiring Outsourced? Since When?
Jul 18, 2012

Looking at MModal website and it used to have a careers link.  I don't see that anymore, but on the contact page it looks to me like hiring is now being done at a place called TheRightThingInc.Com.  ...

Mediscribes Our Hospital Outsourced
Aug 05, 2012

Our area hospital just outsourced 23 medical transcribers jobs to Mediscribes.   ...

Abbreviation In Vital Signs Of The PE
Aug 31, 2012

She could also be saying any other phonetically similar letters. There is nothing else listed under the vitals, so its probably a generic "all negative" term.  (Afebrile, Stable Vital Signs...something else)   This dictator is one of those where the who PE is abbreviations.   Thanks ...

In Vital Signs. S/l Askum 54 Cm.
Sep 29, 2012

In vital signs of a neurological exam of 8yo boy.  s/l  askum 54 cm. ...

Who Is The Company That Outsourced To India
Dec 16, 2012

RSS    Text Size Print  Share This Home / news / local / $140 Million Verdict in Baldwin County (File) By: WKRG Staff | WKRG Published: December 14, 2012 Updated: December 14, 2012 - 1:54 PM »  Comments | Post a Comment BALDWIN COUNTY, Alabama -- On December 13, 2012, a Baldwin County, Alabama, jury returned a 140 million wrongful death verdict. The lawsuit stated Thomas Hospital outsourced its medical transcription service to I ...

Possibly About To Be Outsourced To Mediscribes
Aug 07, 2013

Management says they are considering 4 MTSOs, and that we will probably be offered jobs with whichever they choose. Mediscribes is one of the four, so we have lots of questions about Mediscribes: Has anyone else here been hired by Mediscribes because their hospital outsourced to them? Did they keep you on the same account? Did they bring you on at one rate of pay, then cut your pay later (like Nuance does)? If yes, how much later and to what rate of pay? And for any Mediscribe ...

Signs Your Job Interview Is Tanking:
Aug 14, 2013

These all happened to me: Your interview keeps getting rescheduled, and rescheduled. The interviewer walks out into the lobby to greet you, and appears disappointed/less-than-enthused. Your interview is conducted not just by one or two people, but by an intimidating group of 4 or 5 glowering, power-suit-clad men & women, in a huge board room.  Donald Trump begins to come to mind.  ("You're NOT hired!") Worse, your interview is conducted in a cubbyhole under t ...

India Outsourcing Being Outsourced
Oct 21, 2013

Forgive me if this topic has been covered and/or beat to death, but were most of you aware that not only does Nuance outsource some/a good portion of the work to India, but that Nuance India actually outsources their work to other companies? It is one thing that they're sending it oversees in the first place, but then once it goes to another company, and potentially another one after that if they're anything like US companies... I have an issue with that.  This makes me so sick! ...

Semicolons In Vital Signs???
Nov 05, 2013

Since when are vital signs separated by semicolons?  Did I miss something??? My feedback - VITAL SIGNS:  Blood pressure is 183/111; pulse is 88;88, respiratory rate 18;18, temperature 97;97, oxygen 96%.96.   ...