A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

We just found out our hospital jobs have been outsourced to Nuance.... sm - worried in the northeast

Posted: Feb 20, 2015

We just found out our hospital jobs are being outsourced to Nuance.  I am really worried.  From the webinar we attended, Nuance said all the right things and it didn't sound too bad, but it sure doesn't mesh with what I'm reading here.  We have to make a decision about whether to go with them or not by next week, and I don't feel like I have all the answers I need yet.  I feel like I'm being pressured.   

I want to ask them questions but I'm not sure what the right questions are.  Appreciate all comments.  Thanks in advance.

Knowing nothing about your situation, my best advice is to find - a job within your hospital.

[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I would have had that option, but I came from another service. We, too, were told a bunch of nice things, but it has turned into a nightmare. A lot, if not most, of us are in the process of planning our exit strategy. Untold numbers have already bailed and they keep hiring newbies because the door just revolves and revolves and revolves. They can't keep anyone for very long. Trust what you read here.

Run - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Take unemployment as long as you can. I will assume you make decent money as a hospital employee which you will NOT make here. You will make more money taking unemployment-seriously, it is that bad.

Don't be fooled by the "right" things Nuance - told you. Keep reading this - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Nuance board, and you'll see the horrible things they do to their new, bought-out hospital employees.

Your pay will drop, you may be on your hospital's account briefly, just to get their software and their Indian workforce up to speed, but after that you'll be doing accounts from all over the map, tons of ESL doctors, and get nothing but threats and grief for doing so. Your best will never be good enough for them, and your paycheck will be microscopic. As the poster above said, try to find another job in your same hospital. If you can't, start looking for a new job NOW.

Decision - Backwoods Typist

[ In Reply To ..]
As someone who has already been through this, try to find something else if you can, possibly in the hospital where you work now.

Nuance sings a siren's song. They say a lot of pretty words, but believe me, things will change sooner than you think.

We were promised that we would be the exclusives on our hospital and ambulatory accounts. That lasted maybe 2 weeks before we were OOW. Why? Because when the transition starts, they give your account's work to their MTs to do because they are OOW or they need to start training the voice wreck. Plan on having at least 2-3 accounts if not more. They also promise big paychecks. You go ahead and believe that. Hope you can live on minimum wage.

The way they will treat you I would not treat my dog. They will use every trick in the book to bilk you out of money that you rightfully earned. Oh and they have perfected how to do it and get away with it too. The labor board can't help you.

One choice you do have is to take it so long as they are paying your in-house wages while you look for something else. That is if you can't find something else. The decision is up to you. Good luck. So sorry that you are having to go through this.

So sorry for you all - but heed the advice

[ In Reply To ..]
of posters on this board (and MModal). It's total culture shock to go from great pay and appreciation to nitpicking & finding ways to screw you out of money. If you can transfer within your hospital, I'd advise it.

So Sorry! - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so sorry this is happening to you. It's a scary spot to be in and I can understand why you would want to believe what Nuance is trying to sell. DON'T BELIEVE THEM!! Many of us (most?) are at Nuance as a result of buyouts. They promise rainbows and Skittles yet the reality is decreased pay, lack of work, multiple accounts, being treated HORRIBLY, little to no PTO...it just goes on and on. Any question you ask of them, they will have a very pretty answer to ease your concerns and make it seem oh so wonderful. NOT TRUE!! Please trust what you read here. You WILL kick yourself a few months down the road when the rainbows fade and reality sets in. Again, sorry you are going through this and I do wish you the best.

My honest and sincere answer to you is do NOT go with - Nuance.

[ In Reply To ..]
Save yourselves time, frustration, a drop in self confidence, disappointment and ultimately anger, and find anything/anywhere but Nuance.

I didn't always feel this way but with the changes in the the last few months, my feelings have change.

All the best to you and your co-workers.

agree with above - mamaoh6

[ In Reply To ..]
I've been with Nuance for almost 4 years and haven't been totally thrilled with them but I did have steady work.. until recently. Things have changed a lot just in the recent past and they took my major account away from me and gave me 3 smaller ones and I'm constantly running out of work. I'm now making minimum wage and have been testing for other companies. A lot of us are running out of work. Very unstable situation.

Guaranteed everything they said was a lie. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
Run

FYI, you will get at least 1 poster here who - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
Tells you it's all great and wonderful at Nuance. As much as you probably would like to hold out hope that they are possibly right, fight the urge to believe them. Yes, some people may be happy, but the majority are not. Possibly people who are happy don't need the money, maybe live at home with their parents or have no idea what it is really like to be an MT (with pride, who used to be paid for their knowledge but is now struggling, maybe even close to losing their house, car...).

Let me also point out that I have personally tried to deter every single person I saw posting here from choosing Nuance. There have even been at least 2 people who came back and said, "You know, I didn't believe the people on this board, but now I do. I wish I had taken the advice that was given to me then."

SMOOTH OPERATORS - babe

[ In Reply To ..]
I think Nuance probably has fantastic sales reps. It all sounds so great, and your hospital wouldn't know any better, all they know is that they are going to save money (remember saving money is what also motivates Nuance). I now make 50% of what I made at my hospital, and that is only because my pay CAME UP lately, and having said that, your weekly pay will vary depending on several factors, some that are out of your control. There are no annual reviews or raises at Nuance, ever. There are no automatic holidays, you have to beg for them and if you get them, must use your (meager) PTO for them. If you need family medical insurance, it costs a lot plus there is a $7500 annual deductible. You are paid by production, but can run out of work, and if so, sorry, too bad for you. This company talks a great game, but ALWAYS disappoints. Definitely see what else you can do at your hospital, even if it's not what you care to do, or check for local MT work, some ortho practices still use their own MTs. Many hospitals are now outsourcing, don't know if you'd have any luck switching hospitals. Don't come here if you want to stay sane.

There are also many reviews on Glassdoor so check those out - too. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

DO NOT WORK FOR NUANCE - RUN!

[ In Reply To ..]
I was offered a job at Nuance and decided not to take it and told the recruiter that I had read too many negative things about the company; of course, she had a pat answer, which I ignored. I had just left M*Modal, another (as someone said) a torture chamber to work for. I am with the posts that states she deters everyone from working at Nuance. I feel the same way and you should tell them why. Let them read their own reviews. Of course, they don't care, not one bit. They will send it to India and deep down, that is their plan, to run off American MTs and justify it to their customers that we are no longer around to do the work and they must send it to India. Everything you read here is the truth and you should not even consider it. Take that time to find something else. And to top it all off, they treat their employees like dirt!

I just wish these hospitals/clinics would not go with these companies, but they do, because I think the only thing that matters to them is money and in order to have more, is not to give it to us. MTs have absolutely no value to anyone, except each other!

If it goes as per usual, say goodbye to your hourly rate and welcome to the - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
world of piecemeal work. Find another job within the hospital, even if it's housekeeping!

Regarding Unemployment - LDA

[ In Reply To ..]
Does anyone know the answer to this?? Our hospital is going with Nuance. We are being pressured to make a decision by this week as to whether we go with Nuance or accept the unemployment. Here is our question... I hope a few people answer this!!! Do ANY of you know anyone who did not accept Nuances offer of employment and was then denied U/E benefits based on the fact that they "refused full time employment"??? We are afraid that is a loop-hole and those of us who do not go with Nuance will not be able to collect. Thanks!!

TAKE UNEMPLOYMENT AND HOLD OUT FOR A JOB YOU LIKE AND PAYS WHAT - YOU ARE GETTING NOW OR BETTER.

[ In Reply To ..]
you will not get another chance to do this if you accept their offer. You will NOT be able to collect unemployment after you accept a job with Nuance. They have it worked out (as a lot of companies do) how to ease you down in pay, etc so that you cannot collect. Take your unemployment and take your time to find a REAL job, one you like and that will have some pay and benefit guarantees. Good luck and I hope you take all the advise on here. Not everyone is HORRIBLY miserable and some may be doing well, but it is not like the job you are used to. This is more paycheck-to-paycheck. Definitely no guarantees and the rules keep changing. I was an independent contractor and who I worked for was bought out, so I had no chance to take my own advise, but YOU do. Good luck and God bless.

I am an idiot....just read my own post...that would be ADVICE. - JEEZ. Sorry, was so rushed when posting

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Read every post on this board. Form your own opinion. - Telling people to RUN never seems to work.

[ In Reply To ..]
I've yet to figure out why ANYone would willingly work here...never will understand it.

bought out by nuance/outsourced - rock bottom

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, best I can tell you, if it sounds good, it ain't true.

Read the posts. Look at their ads. They can't get people to work for them, they cannot get people to stay, they have no morals at all, no ethics, no scruples whatsoever.

Example: I moving to a new platform. After 25 years, I'm being put on 100% review until they feel like taking me off whenever they decide I have mastered their ridiculous platform, then and only then will I move up from minimum wage.

I didn't make minimum wage when I started in this business in 1975.

So, ya think they are telling you the truth?

Want to find out? Come on board. in less than 1 month you will wish you had found something in house or taken unemployment. I'd consult an attorney. because they are going to cut your pay a lot a whole whole lot, right after you are no longer eligible to file for unemployment.

Then they'll take you off your original account, put you on a new one, and it will start all over. you'll be at the bottom again, trying to eek out a living, then just when you starting earning what looks like 1970's wages, they will move you to another account again.

Read Dante's inferno. Seventh and eigth levels.

I would ask your HOSPITAL to - READ these pages but it probably

[ In Reply To ..]
it probably would not help so don't take my advice and get in trouble with the hospital :)

BUT how cool would it be if the hospital said 'now wait jus a cottin-pickin minutt'!! and made Nuance defend themselves?!

In the meantime, if you have to wash dishes to keep a job with the hospital you are better off. Nuance will nickel and dime you onto medication while threatening to fire you for not meeting quotas.

I think this entire industry should be REGULATED! They are getting away with modern slavery.

We called the suits that sweet-talked - Bobbie

[ In Reply To ..]
my hospital admins the "Designing Women." They actually came over from WMX to Nuance, but they promised the world and, of course, didn't deliver.

I was able to stay on for a couple years after WMX/Nuance only because my hospital refused to give up Meditech. The docs now use front-end VR and no one edits. If I thought you could get a couple years out of your hospital, I'd say stick it out, but I think our hospital's situation was an exception. Nuance will either offshore or do the FEVR.

Nuance outsource - Freezingmybuttoff

[ In Reply To ..]
The same thing happened to me with the hospital I worked for, only not with Nuance. It was just too much of a pay cut and way too much stress. I didn't take the job and got a non-MT job - which I don't like as much as MT, but it's getting the bills paid. I would try to find something within your hospital first.

Similar Messages:

Mediscribes Our Hospital Outsourced
Aug 05, 2012

Our area hospital just outsourced 23 medical transcribers jobs to Mediscribes.   ...

My Hospital Outsourced To M*Modal.
May 05, 2015

So I've been a transcriptionist for 15 years, the last 8 years I've been self-employed, contracted to a local hospital (recently bought out by a bigger hospital), and several family practices and nursing homes.  The hospital decided to oursource transcription to M*Modal, with each of us getting an "offer" from M*Modal (thus preventing the employed transcriptionists from being able to draw unemployment, nice).  I accepted the offer while still looking into other jobs locally, ...

My Hospital Outsourced Our Department Today.
Mar 01, 2010

I'm pretty bitter! ...

Hospital In Steubenville, Ohio Outsourced
Jan 08, 2015

Does anyone know which "national company" is going to be doing the transcription at the hospital in Steubenville, Ohio?  Just saw on the news tonight that the whole department is being outsourced.  ...

Found Out Hospital Has Gone To EPIC
Dec 12, 2011

I was wondering why the amount of available jobs has dwindle to almost nothing, MTSO has some excuse like they are now dictating at night more etc etc... did a Google search and low and behond the hospital has put in the EPIC system... I have heard on here that it decreases the available work tremendously... and I'm here to tell you, it does.  The end is near!!!!! ...

There Seems To Be More Jobs Posted Lately. Has Anyone Found It Easier
Dec 26, 2012

to get a job lately moreso than before.  Just wondering.  ...

Question About Applying For Hospital Jobs
Jan 17, 2013

I was wondering about something and maybe somebody has an answer. If I go to the hospital's website and apply for a listed opening and do not get called for an interview, what happens if I want to apply again for a different job? Do they keep my resume on file? Would they call me if a position opens up? I haven't been job hunting in a long time and this is how it used to work. I would certainly change my resume and cover letter to apply for the different position, to highlight wha ...

NJA, Same Time As Last Night. Jobs "outsourced" Maybe? Nm
Jun 02, 2010

Timing just seems odd, about the time of start of business on other side of the world. ...

I Work At Nuance And Just Found This Page....
Nov 07, 2014

I was googling something and found this board and then noticed the Nuance board.  At first I was intrigued but after reading through all the older posts on Nuance, I have to say WOW.  Now I wish I hadn't have found this place.  LOL. I wonder why there is only a board for Nuance and MModal?  Seems like there are a lot of unhappy MTs at these 2 companies I guess.  I am NOT surprised though. I wonder just how many MTs from Nuance actually read/post on here? ...

Hospital Job Lost To Nuance
May 28, 2013

We were just told last week that our hospital will be going over to Nuance and that we will have the option to go also as employees of Nuance. We are told that at least we will "still have jobs" and that we will "still be able to work on our own account/doctors from the hospital". Nuance is telling the hospital all sorts of wonderful things, and we are being told very little. Can anyone please tell me what to actually expect? Will we stay on our hospital account? I left a national company t ...

OH NO--hospital Outsourcing To Nuance
Oct 15, 2013

Just heard our hospital is outsourcing 100% to Nuance. They are offering us our hospital pay for a while. Benefits marginal. I've read all the horror stories about them eventually sending all the work offshore and the US MTs making minimum wage doing all the worst dictators. Please tell me this isn't true. I've been with the hospital 16 years and will retire in 2 years. I'm so upset. ...

Nuance Hospital Takeover
Apr 30, 2014

Our hospital transcription department is nearing its demise. We've been expecting it for some time but that time has come. Nuance, of course, is the company that has come in to save the day and graciously offer all of us jobs.  I don't think there's even a chance I would accept such an offer but would love to hear stories from those of you who have gone through this as I know there are many of you. A lot of what I've read on this site is from a couple of years ...

When Your Hospital Out-sources To Nuance....
Aug 28, 2014

Has anyone worked as an MT for a hospital that decided to go with Nuance for their transcription, and effectively eliminated their in-house transcriptionists?  If you did, and you took a job with Nuance, how did it go?  Did you get to stay on your original hospital account?  Was it an okay switch?  Do you get other awful accounts thrown at you?  Thanks in advance! ...

I Found Out What Hospitals Are Actually Paying Nuance Per Line
May 20, 2015

Recently found out that two Chicagoland hospitals who outsourced to Nuance are paying them a whopping 15 to 15.5 cents per line for VR.  With this being an almost virtual world now and very little overhead, it is a terrible injustice for Nuance to pay their MTs only a fraction/peanuts of what they are getting paid.  While Nuance owners are laughing all the way to the bank, it is time for every Nuance MT to formulate a "get out of jail/Nuance" plan ASAP. I was told ...

Nuance Taking Over Our Hospital Dictation
Sep 19, 2013

We learned today that our transcription department is being eliminated and Nuance will be taking over. However, Nuance has kindly agreed to offer employment to us, promising that our first choice will be our hospital account. I think they are full of it and are just telling the hospital (and us) what they think we need to hear, and that one should run, and not walk, away from their job offer. Thoughts?  ...

Latest Hospital To Sell Out To Nuance
Nov 07, 2014

I am one of 20 acute care hospital transcriptionists who have just lost our jobs to Nuance.  Boy did they do a sales job on our hospital.  Our hospital refused to give us severance pay using the excuse that they were giving us as "a gift" the opportunity to work with Nuance and that in itself canceled out the severance pay.  Hah!  Most of us have been working for this hospital for 20+ years.  We lost it all -- job, health ...

Q&A Session Before Nuance Takes Over Our Hospital Dictation - Need Advice
Jun 25, 2013

I had posted a while back about Nuance taking over our hospital dictation. We are scheduled to meet with our department heads, HR, and Nuance in July sometime to go over the details of onboarding. Since we are being fed all of the wonderful benefits of being able to just on-board with Nuance and how nice it was of our hospital to think of us by providing us with this opportunity, I would like to ask some very pointed questions to the account executive that will be at this meeting in order to s ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Why Does Accentus Keep Posting For Jobs, And Not Just Say It Is Nuance
Jan 03, 2013

That is unfair. They should just advertise under Nuance now.  People might jump to the job thinking it is another company, and come to find out it is Nuance.  This is false advertising. I surely wish Accentus would quit posting job openings. I get excited whenever I see a good job listing then I see it is Accentus/Nuance all over again. Sheesh.  Thanks for listening to my little rant. ...

57 Transcriptionists In New Mexico Lose Jobs To Nuance
Apr 12, 2013

I feel bad for these employees; they will be losing all of their benefits and good pay...   http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/hospital-management-administration/university-of-new-mexico-hospital-lays-off-57.html ...

UPMC Laying Off 100 MTs, Will Be Offered Jobs Wit Nuance
May 21, 2013

Below is a link to article about UPMC laying off transcriptions, but they are to be offered jobs with Nuance.  Ugh.  I wish I could tell all of these MTs to run the other way.  Anybody who has been gobbled up by Nuance from other companies/hospitals knows exactly what is coming and what is going to happen to these MTs.   http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/blog/morning-edition/2013/05/upmc-to-lay-off-transcription-workers.html ...

Nuance - Informatics Slow Speed Of Loading Voice Jobs
May 10, 2010

I can file my nails while my screens change and the voice document loads.  Does anyone share this problem.  I have a dual core processor with 1.86 Ghz. Thanks! ...

OUTSOURCED
May 25, 2010

I was getting ready to start coding classes and started reading about it being outsourced.  I do not want to be in the same boat as I am now with transcription. Should I just give up on coding all together and look into something else? ...

Outsourced Again
Dec 28, 2011

The hospital where I worked decided to outsource us. They did it in the worst way possible, they call us in for a meeting but it is not on the usual date of our dept meetings. The CFO, HR, and the new transcription company are at the head of the table. The CFO says, "the hospital has decided to award our transcription to ______ (starts with a W)." That's all he said! No gratitude (some have worked there for 40, 24, 11, 8 years), no severance package. By state or federal law, when they l ...

OUTSOURCED!!!!!
Jul 05, 2013

Nuance just bought our hospital.   :(    Is all this stuff true on these boards?   Should we transition or bail?   I am so very scared after reading all this stuff.   ...

Just Getting Outsourced!!
Jan 12, 2015

Getting outsourced to Precyse?  Anybody know anything? Must work at least one day a weekend, less money........could retire, I am 62, but not much $$ there! ...

Outsourced To Transcend
Jan 27, 2012

Just found out my hospital job is being outsourced to Transcend.  They offered me job and promise we can keep same account.  The line rate is about the same. They said we would keep same schedules.  Would have to learn Voice Rec.    Anybody else go through this.  We only have 2 days to give them an answer.  ...

Being Outsourced To M-Modal
Jul 10, 2012

I have a few questions for anyone who is in fact an employee of M-Modal.  My current employer just informed us that we were being outsourced to M-Modal.  We, being 12-13 MTs, are really freaking out.  We are hearing all of these "not so good" reviews and really we do not know who or what to believe.  Management says we will be offered jobs individually with M-Modal, as they really want to keep the current MTs on the region and doing this hospital's transcription, but from what I gathe ...