A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Finishing Andrews earlier? - me

Posted: Mar 20, 2015

I see that on the Andrews website, the average time to finish the coding course is 12 months. I have lots of time to devote to the course, and it would be nice to finish it earlier.

Has anyone here finished the course earlier? How long did it take you? How many hours a week did you devote to it?

finishing Andrews - new coder

[ In Reply To ..]
The program is designed to take approximately 15 hours/weeks in order to finish in a year. I took longer, but I was working full time and often OT, and had multiple personal issues and illness. When you get into modules III and IV, there is a LOT of information and it can be pretty intense, but if you scheduled hours just as if you were working and applied yourself, I would think it could easily be done in 9 months, maybe 6. I would love to hear from someone who was able to do it also!

Thanks! nm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Finishing Andrews - Coder

[ In Reply To ..]
As noted above, the course is laid out for students who work full time, i.e., at a doable 15 hours a week. You should be able to complete one lesson a week.

If you have a lot of time to devote to it, just do twice as much, 30 hours and two lessons a week, and finish in 6 months. Or, 22 hours a week to finish 1.5 lessons and take 9 months.

It is up to you. That is what is nice about an independent learning situation. You are not held back by other students. You set your own pace.

Of course, without a class to set the pace, many people can't set their own. They just drift. You will need to schedule for yourself. I suggest approaching it like a job where you have to be at work, studying, from a certain time to a certain time every day. You will have to push to complete the material, too. Not just read, re-read, yawn, re-read, re-read, stretch, yawn, nap, reread, and so on while hoping something sinks in.

Thanks! nm - me

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Just Finishing Up My First Semester Of HIT, And No...
Apr 14, 2015

I will not be continuing. So boring! I thought HIT/RHIT would be a good way for me to get into coding, but I can see now that was the wrong decision. ...

Thoughts On Taking CMT Right After Finishing RMT?
Apr 16, 2010

Just wanted to hear from some of you more seasoned MTs out there...I am scheduled to sit for the RMT exam on Monday, 4/19 and have been preparing for this since mid-January by taking a review course via M-TEC.  Several folks have advised me that rather than waiting the typical 2 years, I should consider studying to take the CMT exam immediately after passing the RMT.  My book skills are good, and I graduated from M-TEC with a fairly high GPA.  I have only been working for 2 months ...

S/l Soluchief Finishing Guide
May 28, 2011

A soluchief finishing guide was used to complete femoral preparation.     ...

We Were Told To Proofread Our VR Work After Finishing...
May 23, 2010

because the acct was having more errors than it should.  That really cuts into your lines.  Who all of you proofreads, etc and do you think it is necessary on VR?  It is very hard to make any lines when going back over the document a second time.  ...

How Long From Finishing Training To Start?
Jun 19, 2012

I finished training.  They knew I was going to be working for a couple of weeks.  Still have not heard from supervisor. I was told last week I was now in the hands of my "supervisor" to contact with questions. I received nothing from any supervisor, and today I was told on the live training class to go to my supervisor and begin working immediately. I have sent several e mails to find out when I actually begin working, wondering why I have not heard from this so-called supervisor who ...

Hi Kiki, Your Earlier Post
Dec 08, 2009

I know I saw one of your earlier posts about the shareholder's meeting, I just can't find it now.  There are some very interesting things in there, which is why I recommended  to read it carefully.  You can Google these people for background before voting. ...

Hyperhidrosis - S/l Any Inciting Earlier Factors
Apr 05, 2012

Not sure after or... Her episodes do not have any particular relationship to stress or s/l any inciting earlier factors... ...

Rumor Earlier In 2012 That Transtech Was Going To
Jan 15, 2013

be acquired.  Did that ever happen?  Is it going to?  Already been through 2 acquisitions and don't want to do it again, so want to know Transtech status before possibly applying.  Any info?  Thanks ...

Earlier Talk About Keeping Your Office Under
Jun 12, 2013

A few weeks ago there was talk about people thinking we should keep our work/office under lock and key, that someone was going to be showing up and because of the HIPAA law, we would be in big trouble, prosecuted, arrested, whatever. I have something to run past those that were posting. Ok, so today I take my husband to have a procedure done. I am called back to his room as he is awakening and there are 2 people sharing this room with a drawn curtain between them. The doctor comes in to talk ...

TTS Keeps Advertising. I Applied Earlier This Year Sm
Apr 03, 2014

I took their test and passed.  I emailed them several times. They contacted me once and said they were filling full time positions first (I want part time to begin because I want to see before I commit to 40 hours a week if I can make money).  I have worked for a teaching hospital for 30 years. Oh well. If they contact me now, I'll say "NO, THANK YOU!!" ...

Keystrokers, Regarding Earlier Layoff Post
Jun 12, 2014

I do not know what I can mention here, but was the HR person’s first name who was let go start with a K?  I ask because I replied to their job posting that stated they were rolling back the clock and needed to hire 40 MTs.  I sent in my resume in response to the pediatrics account because a while back, I was an MT at a children’s hospital in a very large city.  I stated I knew my skills were old but that I was submitting my resume anyway for their consideration.  ...

Weird Ad Overlapping Dictation Earlier.
Oct 06, 2014

Before the crash, I was in the middle of a report when an ad for an animal shelter came on, encouraging adopting a pet.  It played over and over, drowning out the dictator's voice.  I thought I had triggered it somehow, but couldn't figure out how to get rid of it.  I tried to ignore it, but it was hard to hear the dictation, so I hit "Abandon."  Suddenly, the overlapping voice stopped.  Yay!  I was able to cancel the abandon and finish the report.  S ...

We Had A Discussion Earlier About Unpaid Work
Jun 07, 2015

And I was told that they "give" you extra in each report. I had a no dictation report and the line count is 0.02 of a line. Is that what you deem satisfactory for the unpaid work we do? ...

I Saw Him Earlier Because Of These Blisters On His Hand, Which I Felt Was S/l Pompholyx To Do (see M
Jan 01, 2012

I saw him earlier because of these blisters on his hand, which I felt was s/l pompholyx to do and he responded well to topical steroids. ...

To Clarify My Earlier Post, About Inquiring To Newspapers....
Aug 19, 2013

After reading the replies, seems what I meant to say was misconstrued. When I decide to inquire to e-newspapers about exposing MModal, I meant trying to get the message out about Americans' private information going overseas, as the main point.  Ragging on how horrible the company would be just a side thing.  If people don't speak out, things don't change.  American women would not be able to vote if those strong, outspoken women way back didn't fight for that ...

M Tec Or Andrews?
Jun 03, 2010

I am an LPN looking into the field of MT.  I am tired of standing on my feet for 2-3 hour med passes and lifting and turning patients.  I am ready to work hard from home.  I understand that both M Tec and Andrews are great schools.  Is one better then the other?  How do experienced MT's feel about the two? Thanks!!  ...

Andrews
Oct 06, 2012

I'm considering Andrews coding, but would love some feedback for those who enrolled that had no medical or MT background. I have very little medical background and it seems the MT's are favored as they are more familiar with terminology.  For those enrolled how do you like the course?  Do you find the course interesting?  I already know its challenging! Thanks for any info you can provide! ...

Andrews Or CCO??
Feb 05, 2015

I'm trying to do as much research as possible into changing careers from MT to coding, and I've narrowed down my two choices of schools to Andrews and CCO (CodingCertificate.Org).  According to CCO's website, they now offer courses that will prepare you to take the CCS exam.  I've heard positive things about CCO, but I've also heard positive things about Andrews, and how thorough it is, but also that it's very difficult.  I would love to hear either f ...

Just Enrolled At Andrews!
May 11, 2010

Okay, so after much debate and research, I enrolled in Andrews course for coding yesterday! :)  Now I'm just waiting for my materials to arrive, reading over my 1st set of instructions, and trying to navigate my way through loads of information on the student forum.  All I can say is WOW.  I think this course is going to be wonderful and very challenging.  I'm actually a bit overwhelmed at the moment! LOL!  But I'm excited!     ...

Linda Andrews?
May 23, 2010

When this board first started up Linda was on here quite often but haven't seen her in a while.  Oh well, just noticing.  Wow, this board has taken off! ...

To Linda Andrews
May 25, 2010

Per the request you sent via email, I have tried to call the number you provided four times but only get your voicemail.  I did call during office hours.  If you wish to communicate, email me again and let me know when I can reach you.  I do not give out my number, which is unpublished for personal reasons, nor do I provide my email address to individuals I do not know personally.   ...

Why Is CS So Much Cheaper Than Andrews?
Aug 27, 2010

Just wondering what the difference in price is?  CS has a much more impressive website and they have been very good at answering my questions.  Why would they be so much cheaper? ...

CCS Without RHIT (Considering Andrews)
Feb 26, 2011

Coders: In a situation where a new graduate of a program has the CCS but not the RHIT, do you believe this would be an obstacle to finding employment? I notice some jobs say CCS or RHIT and some want both. I am weighing the pros and cons between attending a program that I know will prepare me to pass the CCS (Andrews) versus a program to earn a degree that will make me eligible to take the RHIT and, hopefully, pass the CCS. For background, I am a medical transcriptionist and also will graduate ...

For Those Of You Who Have Graduated From Andrews
Jan 19, 2012

Are any of you actually working as coders? ...

Andrews Students...
Feb 06, 2012

For those of you who are past or present Andrews students... how did you/are you paying for your course? I know you can either put a down payment or pay in full.  Just curious, thanks. ...

Deciding On Andrews BUT
Feb 26, 2012

I know Andrews does not give out any discounts on their $3,800 charge, but are there ways to get help lowering the cost through any organizations you are aware of?  Thanks. ...

I Did It! I Enrolled In Andrews
Mar 05, 2012

for medical coding. I'm excited and a little nervous. Looking forward to getting started. ...

Any Graduates Of Andrews Or M-Tec?
Sep 04, 2012

Would like to know if any graduates of Andrews or M-Tec became employed shortly after completing course and how much I could be expected to earn on a part-time basis (20 hrs/wk)? ...

Andrews School -- Job
Sep 19, 2012

I am an MT who was laid off from my job and I am seriously considering coding school.  So far, I am leaning towards Andrews, they sound the best.  My question is, will I be able to find a job that pays well afterwards?  I have looked at a few job postings online in my area and it looks like entry level coders are only 10 bucks an hour.  This concerns me as I don't want to put out a lot of money for coding school if I am not going to be making much money.  Also, ...

Andrews School...which Course To Take?
Nov 13, 2012

This may not be the right board, but I thought I would put it here. I have been interested in taking the coding course through Andrews for over a year now. I was just wondering if that is the way to go or if I should take a different course that they are now offering. They now offer billing and medical management. I know that medical transcription is out because I am already a transcriptionist and that is not going well. Any and all advice is welcome. Thank you. ...