A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Please clarify... - onemore

Posted: Nov 30, 2009

I am in the process of testing for a company that is not medical transcription.  The work is transcribing verbatim  news reports.  I have only done medical transcription and legal and both of those are based on either lines or page.  Can someone tell me if this pay is good or not?

"We pay based on bytes typed (a byte being equal to a keystroke) at a rate of US$0.83/1,000 bytes."

Scratching my head here - Tired&CrankyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
"We pay based on bytes typed (a byte being equal to a keystroke) at a rate of US $0.83/1000 bytes."

Okay, bear with me here as I try to convert this into a payment method an MT can relate to.

Most places pay per 65-char line with spaces and 1000 bytes supposedly equals 1000 keystrokes according to the quote, so I've taken 1000 bytes/keystrokes and divided by 65-char line and come up with 15.384 representing ?? - I'm guessing this is how many lines you have to type to earn 0.83 cents?

Which further works out to 0.053 cents per line if you divide 0.83 cents by 15.384 lines, but I will admit I am confused by this method of payment.

Perhaps someone else can help convert this into an understandable rate if I've failed to do so or have gotten mixed up in calculations.

That is what I was thinking - onemore

[ In Reply To ..]
I figured it out the same way you did but wanted to get more input. Thanks a bunch. Now I realize that $0.053 is awful for medical transcription, but if you were to type teleconferences (or interviews), how do you think this pay would be?

Reply - daphne

[ In Reply To ..]
It sucks no matter how you figure it!!!!!
Yes, it sucks!....nm - nobody
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
wonder how bytes counts the expanded phrase. NM - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
If I figured this out right, it is about 0.055 a line - sm - XXX
[ In Reply To ..]
I took the 1000 bytes and divided by 65 to get 15 lines, so you get .83 per 15 lines which breaks down to 0.055 a line in the end. It would count the expansions and shortcuts as it goes by memory, not the actual keystrokes. Obviously if this is quick easy work and you can crank out 300 or 400 lines an hour (unlikely) then you may make $20 or so an hour, but as that is probably not the case...be lucky to break $10 an hour then.

Yes, it's bad pay. I did GT years ago and got $1.00/minute nm - Kay

[ In Reply To ..]

x

Similar Messages:

Please Help Clarify
Dec 16, 2012

Can someone please clarify something for me?  I make eight (8) cents per line (cpl), but someone told me I'm making point eight (0.8) cpl.  Tell me I'm not losing it, please. Thanks! ...

Its Really Sad What A Dictator Needs To Clarify These Days
Jun 11, 2012

Not only are they spelling everything, I just had one say:  "Vitamin D as in dog...and please don't type 'as in dog' that's just to clarify the letter of the vitamin." ...

To Clarify My Earlier Post, About Inquiring To Newspapers....
Aug 19, 2013

After reading the replies, seems what I meant to say was misconstrued. When I decide to inquire to e-newspapers about exposing MModal, I meant trying to get the message out about Americans' private information going overseas, as the main point.  Ragging on how horrible the company would be just a side thing.  If people don't speak out, things don't change.  American women would not be able to vote if those strong, outspoken women way back didn't fight for that ...