A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

hospital pay--is this a JOKE? - Raven

Posted: Dec 30, 2009

Okay, so halfway out of curiosity, I applied to my local hospital, which is a large regional hospital, for an MT job.  They wanted a "seasoned" MT with CMT, who transcribes 250 lines an hour.  Okay, I thought, they might actually compensate better than I think since they have well-defined high standards.  WRONG!  They are offering $11.35 AN HOUR!  What a slap in the face!  You get a whole extra dollar if you work 2nd shift.  What an insult--they just have no respect for what we do whatsoever.  I appreciate my job much more after that.  At least I get paid what I'm worth!  Moral of the story?  Stay away from hospital jobs! 

Did they offer incentive along with that? - L

[ In Reply To ..]
I used to rack up the $$$ at hospital, not good base pay but OMG the production pay.

hospital pay - Patti

[ In Reply To ..]
Raven:

Not all hospital pay is bad. I've worked on an hourly basis at two local hospitals which pay significantly more than $11 an hour. One had an incentive bonus of 7 cents a line if you went over the set line count. My current hospital job pays well also, but no incentive program here. I'm glad to have a job with benefits, and decent hourly wage.

incentive - Raven

[ In Reply To ..]
I wasn't told of any incentive. I worked at a hospital about 7 years ago for 4 months as I was that desperate to get away from production work--I actually had an insane moment and accepted $10-plus an hour just to get out of the house and away from production stress. Obviously, that is not enough to live on so I went back to production. I agree, if I had to do it over again, I certainly wouldn't have chosen this field. Sure, there is potential to make decent money, but you have to be so diligent and it gets awfully boring and tedious, in my opinion. Yes, good luck to ALL of us in 2010!

My in-house hospital job pays $17.00 per hour - good bennies - no incentive, but then no minimum line requirement

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Hospital Pay - pauline

[ In Reply To ..]
I am a "seasoned MT with 30 years" acute care experience with all of it done in the hospital setting. I am not a CMT because our hospital did not pay anything extra for CMT, so I did not test for it. We were all outsourced and I was making $15.30 an hour plus incentive. We only had to do 145 lines an hour to stay within the required lines per day, but I did more than that as I always strived to get at least some incentive. I am not sure which hosipital you applied at, but there lots of hospital jobs that do pay good per hour. I loved the hospital that I was at and then some upper administrators decided it was cheaper to send it out. Now I am back to working for pennies a line and I miss my hourly salary like crazy, but no hospital in my area is hiring right now, but at least I have a job paying the bills and buying food for the family. If some of these company people had to sit and listen to some of these doctors, I guarantee they would be pulling their hair out and I assure you they would not accept the pay that they pay us in some cases. Good luck to all of us in 2010. MT is not what it used to be and if I had to do it over, I am not so sure I would have chosen this field.

Incentive - carolinagirl

[ In Reply To ..]
I am with you. I worked at home for several years and got tired of all of it with MSO so have been in-house at local hospital. Would not give it up unless I had to. 32 hrs/wk with benes. Can't beat the $15+/hour/insurance/flex/PTO. Loving it again finally.

This must all be VR, 4.5 cents a line...nm - hosp

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Even with the low 4.5 you quote - L

[ In Reply To ..]
that would be much more than the $11.35 the OP posted on the voice I work on. She was saying per hour, not per line though. If that place had incentive, the pay probably would double for me. I have done before and like the other person answering, hospital pay can be very, very rewarding.

Not all hospitals are the same. Mine pays - 20 at the top of the

[ In Reply To ..]
pay scale. It starts out at about 12.
We need to face the fact that MT work, though considered a "profession" by those of us doing it,is really just a "job" that pretty much anyone with a high school degree can qualify for in a 1-year community college course. Pay is going down, down, down.
(Oh, and my hospital has already outsourced some transcription to India, some is now in-house back-end editing, some is in-house front-end editing by the doctors. About 20 transcriptionists have been laid off and more layoffs coming up in the New Year. I would rather have a job with security and guaranteed employment and benefits at 11.35 an hour and then supplement it with a PT job than have a full-time job at 20 and hour that could disappear at any minute and probably will.

hospital pay - hEireann

[ In Reply To ..]
May I ask what part of the country you are located? I know that when I moved to Tennessee from Wisconsin I was shocked at the difference in the in house pay rates.

part of the country I'm in - Raven

[ In Reply To ..]
Sure you may ask--I'm in E. Central Florida.

Hospital pay - hHeireann

[ In Reply To ..]
Wow! That is really shocking. I took a real hit in pay when I moved to rural, and I mean rural Tennessee, but I was making a lot more than that when I started with the company I am with now. I need to investigate this because I was thinking about going back to working inhouse (if there is such a thing anymore, I know not in my area). Thanks for the eye opener.

Yes - It was the norm when I was inhouse - 3 years ago

[ In Reply To ..]
Starting salary 2003 $10.28, ending salary 2006 $10.80. And they screwamed like Scrooge if they had to pay OT, so they usually forced me to take half days off the middle of the week instead! Not to mention all the other non-typing crap involved - phones, faxing, politics. I had no clue how much money I could make until I left inhouse behind.

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Work For A Hospital, But You Live Out Of State From That Hospital?
Aug 13, 2010

Or how from that hospital do you live? ...

Changing To Canada Hospital From US Hospital Transcription
Jul 20, 2012

I have taken a new job to transcribe for a hospital in Canada.  What are the differences?  Can you post (or email me) links for websites that you use for references - looking up doctors, meds, etc.  Is the spelling different? ...

Is This A Joke Or What ?
Feb 16, 2010

I received an email the other day and it read "I was wondering if you would be interested in typing for a neurosurgeon" with a copy of my resume posted on the bottom.  My reply back was "I would need the specifics, the company you are affiliated with, etc - I do have 17 plus years experience with neurology so it is probably something I would be interested in, but send more info, and then I will forward my phone number if necessary."  The reply back from the unknown sender was "I have m ...

MT Job A Joke
Apr 29, 2010

Does your spouse or significant other consider your job to be a joke, especially now that we have seen so many changes in the industry?  I feel that my husband views my job this way.    ...

What A Joke!
Apr 05, 2011

I was offered to test for a company at 0.05 line without spaces based on 43-character line.  This was an IC position.  I guess after taxes, I would be paying the company to work! ...

VR Is A Joke.
Jul 19, 2012

I work twice as many hours and make half the pay, at best.  I don't understand why they would cut our pay for VR when in reality it takes longer when you have to deal with editing and formatting.  ...

TSM Is A Joke
Oct 28, 2014

First, TSM says no changes to accounts. Then without warning main account goes POOF. She then makes up excuse after excuse, blah, blah, blah. The woman can't use grammar or punctuation to save her life. Been with her a while now and she never, EVER answers the phone. She says she is making conference calls but never have I ever received a single phone call. Too bad she still has a job.  ...

7.6...what A Joke
Jan 16, 2015

7.6 is the BIGGEST JOKE they could play on us.  The ONLY good thing is the age.  Otherwise, they took away valuable info from us to help us find names or patients that the doctors with thick accents don't slow down and speak clearly for us to hear.  Plus, the dictionary?  Another big joke.  But keep up your line counts, keep up on your 99,000 POD client list, and definitely your quality! KISS MY GRITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ...

Benchmark ??? What A Joke
Apr 02, 2010

Okay this Benchmark is fine. but the time it takes to look things up, its time to move onto another report. I am not being paid enough to spend time looking through this. ...

Swapboard - What A Joke
Apr 13, 2010

I was wondering if anyone else felt the same way about the swapboard; that it is crap for a FT employee.  It seems to serve the PT employees well though, because they can readily pick up more hours. I wanted to swap a shift for Saturday hours.  There was a shift the exact amount of time I needed on the Sunday prior, so I thought it would be perfect.  I was wrong.  CCM said that we are responsible for our shift, and that we are not approved OT, (meaning that I cannot take tha ...

The ASR Joke Is On Us - Another Funny But Sad
Jul 14, 2010

Dictated:  She appeared cachectic... ASR:  She appeard tic-tac-toe... It would be funnier if ASR wasn't getting worse by the day!  Sighhhhhh - not much longer now. ...

Alpha - What A Joke
Feb 19, 2011

7.5 cpl for VBC - thanx but no thanx.  Do they think they are hiring MTs from out of the US with these wages?  Not this MT, that's for sure. Flat out refused prior to interview once rate was made known. ...

Diskritter = A JOKE
Mar 15, 2011

YOU MIGHT AS WELL WORK FOR FREE WORKING FOR THEM! ...

FIESA SUCH A JOKE
Jul 23, 2013

Definitely going to start looking for a new job.  I love my TL and really love what I do, but I have gone from being a 99.5 to 100% accurate to now cannot get above 98% thanks to all their 0.25 off for not having a semicolon instead of a comma, or leaving out the or an, so much for verbatim.  I either put in something and am told not to or leave something out because it isn't dictated and am told I should put it in.  Can't win for losing I guess.  They are slowly er ...

MModal Is A JOKE
Oct 25, 2013

M*Modal is advertising on MTjobs for transcriptionists.  Please, please, please do not work for this company.  They are a joke.  They fired so many of their good transcriptionists who had years of employment with them, passed all QA's with 98% or above, and have been very true, loyal employees.  They will do the same with you.  They will send all their work to India where they pay peanuts.  They advertise with all their bull about integrity, respect, focus and ...

TeletrakMT - WHAT A JOKE!!!
Dec 20, 2013

You want the skill and knowledge of a certified MT, but you want to pay 7 cpl and NOTPAYFORSPACES!!!!  Plus you have to pay your own taxes as an IC and get your own health insurance, and never get a paid vacation or a paid holiday.  Where do I sign up??!?!?!  I'd go work at McDonald's first, at least I'd get a vacation and probably health insurance, and maybe even a free burger for lunch.     What's wrong with these companies????   ...

TransTech Is A Joke
Apr 30, 2014

TransTech is a joke. Their QA staff is the most anal group of people I've ever dealt with.  They were rude and condescending in their feedback and the pay was horrible.  What a disappointment of a company.  Now I know why they are always advertising! ...

Hahaha.... VR Is A Joke...
Apr 14, 2015

When you try to do some DIY home improvements or remodeling, and you screw things up, the contractor charges you More for fixing what you did in addition to completing the job.I feel that way about VR...  ...

6 Cents A Line...MT Is Becoming A Joke
Oct 18, 2010

There is a new job posting for 6 cents a line....this field of work is becoming more unappealing every day; to think I have given this field 37 years of my life including weekends and holidays, I have never taken such big step backwards.  Barely making minimum wage these days.  I remember the good old days..... ...

Ipswitch Is A HUGE JOKE
Apr 24, 2013

I can't get to anything but the first page of my inbox.  Oops, now can't even get that. Maybe I'll sit here and work on my Quality essay. ...

Nuance Incentive/bonus Pay A Joke?
Jun 22, 2011

I know it was just asked how they figure out their bonus, but I am concerned because I found recent posts that say the lines are "weighted", and their own ad says "quality based" incentive program. Another poster alluded to comma nuts that QA you to death so that you end up with little to no available lines for incentive. Is there anyone out there who has had a recent experience with this who could enlighten those of us who have been sold out? What I am concerned about is that it sounds like you ...

Can I Just Say What A Freaking JOKE Speech Recognition Is?
Mar 20, 2012

I work for a hospital that has been using the Dictaphone speech the last couple of years.  We were told how our production was just going to increase and how it was going to be WONDERFUL.  My production is still where it was two years ago and I would be better off typing each report.  Sorry for the ranting, but while working this evening, I just got set off by the following: "SOCIAL HISTORY:  He is down to 15 cattle formally worked as a strips all conservation engineer. &nb ...

This Place Makes Me Literally Ill. No Joke
Oct 02, 2012

I don't think I am going back to working here. My son thinks it isn't right for me to leave b/c of a bad boss who micromanages everyone until they cannot breathe.  I have another source for money and for the little I make here it isn't worth the effort anymore. Just writing to warn others about the micromanaging done here.  The pay is so little, it isn't worth it. Thanks for listening. I know this is a negative move on my behalf regarding money but you cannot take m ...

Clear Choice Transcription Is Clearly A Joke
Dec 11, 2013

Clear Choice Transcription is clearly a joke. The only reputable person at the company is the recruiter. Once you're handed off to the trainer you're screwed. Training there could be taught by a 1st grader. They rush through training and expect you to catch on in 15 minutes. Most of my questions, even after hired were answered by the recruiter. Don't know who the owner is but they obviously have no idea what happens after you're passed off to the trainer. Maybe once the ...

No Work In 3 Weeks Unemployment Joke Of A Pay, Just Venting
Nov 04, 2011

My back up account went to EMR, and those people are full time on my primary, and there is absolutely no work.  They said they were working on placing us in different locations and trying to acquire more work, but it has not happened in 3 weeks.  Aside from being worried how I am going to pay my bills, which I was even when I had work; I have to say that I am starting a feel human again.  I used to sit in front of the computer waiting for work to trickle through, but now I h ...

Becoming An MT #5 On The List Of Hottest Medical Careers. What A Joke!
Jan 17, 2012

Copied and pasted from YAHOO News just now.  01/17 at 10:55 p.m.  just popped up.    Career #5: Medical Transcriptionist When physicians and medical professionals need to communicate important information, they turn to medical transcriptionists who translate doctor's notes into medical reports and other files. Why it's hot: A large percentage of medical transcriptionists work in hospitals, but there will be an increased need for their work in editing transcr ...

Synernet's Employee Recognition Program A Joke....
Oct 30, 2014

Ever notice, it's the same people nominated over and over again and they are ALWAYS management, supervisors of the team leads..  This place makes me want to puke.  I hope I get some call backs from some places I have applied to.  Please..... I want out!!!  ...

A Lot Of Good Wx Employees Got Hurt..bonus Plan May Become The Joke Of The Industry!
Dec 14, 2011

Wasn't that EXCITING (lol) hearing from "J the loose cannon" that has been slithering around on numerous mtso ship decks knocking holes in said ships sending them to the bottom. I wanted to make a post like this back when his then boss or captain (ceo S.C.) talked about wmx being a ship and keeping it going on a straight heading bla bla bla. Instead I like a fool just stayed aboard hoping and hoping for a better platform but no more! Them bringing J the "loose cannon" into th ...

Voice Recognition "editing Software" Is A Joke
Oct 15, 2013

Voice recognition "editing software" is the bright idea of some computer software chump who knows nothing about medical transcription.  Transcription is everchanging.  No words are EVER pronounced exactly the same way each time.  Even the same voice, dialects, and dictators change from minute to minute.  It is organic.  It is also subjective depending on who is listening.  Big business has jumped on board, as they see this as a big opportunity to ...

Hospital Course
Dec 30, 2010

This is part of a hospital course.  Not sure what the heading in bold should be so I gave the whole grouping for context. RESPIRATORY:  No issues.  CARDIAC:  No issues.  IV:  No issues.  HEMATOLOGY/ONCOLOGY:  No issues.  METABOLIC/GASTROINTESTINAL:  Ultrasound on admission was the only ultrasound obtained.  SEN:  Patient was on D5 half-normal saline plus 20 mEq of KCl at 78 mL/hr throughout hospital admission.  On hospit ...