A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is MM going to fire me for making below - miniumum wage?

Posted: May 19, 2013

I was working on an account for the last 5 years and was averaging in ASR lines at 329-340 an hour with 100% audits.

Then the work got slow and I was moved to another manager and another new account. 

Now my average ASR lines are around 170-180 an hour with 100% audits. 

At 175 ASR line rate an hour and being part-time, that is 175 x 0.4 a line which comes to 7.00 an hour.  For part-timers, I was told you have to be at 120 lines an hour and I am still a Tier 1.   My state's minimum wage is at $9.14 an hour.  So MM is having to pay me my miniumum wage by the hours I work, not the line rate because it is below minimum wage in my state and it is the law. 

So when am I going to get fired for not making minimum wage for my state?  It is not fair I live in a state which has the highest minimum wage.  If I get fired for not making minimum wages, wouldn't this be a Labor lawsuit?  Since I am meeting the quota of going over 120 lines for part time??

AND I would have to make 220 lines an hour just to barely reach my minimum wage which quite frankly is not going to ever happen with this account.  I have proof I did extremely well on the last account, but this new account is horrible, yet I am making 100% audits on it. 

minimum wage - Nice

[ In Reply To ..]
Well, I would think that a reasonable employer would take into consideration what you posted, since it sounds like you are doing your best and it is not your fault that you live in (SF?) where the minimum wage is higher than most states. You get 100% audits?! Wow, I get that too but not all the time. It is actually statistically pretty much impossible to always get 100%. Even computers screw up sometimes. We are human, therefore, we make mistakes. Good luck. Let us know what happens if anything.

If they can pay "make-up" money to bring many of us to minimum wage, - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
You know they are making plenty of money. I haven't been fired for all the times they had to pay "make-up" pay to me despite meeting the lph requirement.

With you going from 300+ lph to 170 lph for ASR on a different account is another MT proving the quality of the ASR and how our pay is nearly totally dependent on the quality of work of someone else and we have no control over that. I get very frustrated because, with my usual accounts, because of the lack of quality of their ASR, I can only do 150 to 170 lph, but on some outside accounts I can do 200 to 240 lph! -- which is still minimum wage.

I just wanna know how you only have 1 account - I have over 20

[ In Reply To ..]
I am beyond frustrated. I would take 1 account in a split second. Try to maintain any type of line count when you bounce around all day.

I had one main account and then a backup of 6. - They all went dry.

[ In Reply To ..]
No work for 6 months on all 7 accounts. Finally my manager had to move me and a few others. I now work on an account that is TAT most weekends.

Been here FOREVER with this company and they just do not know how to manager their accounts.

What if? - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
What happens if they nationally raise minimum wage? Will they raise the line rate? I know a lot of people are making minimum or slightly above that now. If minimum wage gets raised to $9 or whatever they are talking about raising it to, that's a lot of people who will be being paid for more than they actually do according to MModal pay rate. Will they ax all those people or raise the lines rates?

I really don't think we have to worry that far down - the road. All MTSOs are in the final - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
stages of getting rid of their remaining American MTs. That would only add more weight to their lame excuse that American MTs are too expensive. I say, let the Indians have this scum-ridden profession. For the part they play in all of this, they deserve this PIG-run billabong of bile.

I'm getting that, too. (Diff. MTSO). To that I say, - Go ahead & can me! Next stop, Lab.Board or Atty.

[ In Reply To ..]

I thought the same thing. In fact, calling Labor - to ask them.

[ In Reply To ..]
It does not seem right that company is making sure most MTs are at minimum wage, yet I cannot even get minimum wage because state is one of the highest for paying minimum wage.

Reality check! My son is making more than I do working at farm store. Makes me sick.

Similar Messages:

So Do You Think They Will Fire Me? LOL
Aug 14, 2011

So I am supposed to be working right now..I gave my notice last week that I would be done on August 17th, but I unfortunately am just not feeling the need to finish out the week.  I am leaving because I am unhappy (like many at MQ are)..I have a new job starting on the 23rd with better pay and better hours and I can't wait!  I was looking at my jobs for the last 4 weeks and have noticed I have a 99% (I forgot the word "about") on an audit and a 98.75% on an audit, with just 2 corr ...

MQ Doesn't Need To Fire Or Lay Off
Mar 29, 2010

The evil Q doesn't have to fire or lay anyone off, they can just starve us to death with no work.  ...

Out Of The Fire Into The Frying Pan?
Jan 12, 2013

After almost 10 years of working at home and in house doing MT, and the last 3 at Nuance, I have decided to take a coding course.  I am so demoralized w/Nuance.  Lost my bonus (and I have not gotten sloppy and careless in my time there) and then they made it more difficult to get a bonus; the crummy health insurance, the VR is a joke ("can be twice as fast as typing," but we are absolutely paid 1/2 what we are paid for typing), the offshoring, the drs on cell phones, the horrible ESLs. ...

Intrinsics S/l Fire Normally?
Jul 10, 2013

doctor dictated what s/l intrinsics "fire" normally - is fire correct? ...

So They Fire/lay Off A Bunch Of MTs
Aug 26, 2013

is out of TAT. TSM says lots of second and third shifters were let go (code phrase-reduction in force) and now the rest of us need to step up and change our shift to second and third shift. ClusterMMuck at its finest. ...

New Hire - Nervous - What Would It Take For Them To Fire Me?
May 04, 2012

. ...

Dear God Please Go Ahead And Fire Me Already
Jan 15, 2014

so tired of these "failed audit" emails.  God forbid I get a 99.5.  Please reply with how you are going to change this in the future.  Slow down.     Sorry I can't F'ing slow down i have kids to feed and you cut my pay over $5000 last year.  so fire me and let me collect UE and foodstamps.  OH WAIT you can't because you are constantly out of TAT and begging for people to work because they are all quitting or you fired them already.  My bad ...

S/l Fire Calf Atrophy
Nov 28, 2014

s/l fire calf atrophy - neurologic examination ...

How Does MModal Fire You? I'm Figuring I'll
Dec 17, 2014

I can't pass an audit to save my life...I figure any day now I'll receive a call telling me to log out, even though I've not finished the report I'm on, and I'll be fired.  I'm so sick of feeling like I'm doing my best, only to find out that this little error, or that little error (spacing or period or comma, among others) causes a 0.25 point drop and those puppies add up.  I think 99.5 is an unreasonable level and I'm sick and tired of feeling w ...

Triangle Shirtwaist Factory Fire
Sep 26, 2012

I watched a documentary on this fire the other night and mentioned to my SO how it reminded me of being an MT for Nuance.  It seems like sooner or later something very bad is going to happen.  I know it's reaching, but think of the similarities; they were all women, they worked long hours, weekends, made crappy pay and were skilled at what they do, and yet... "Although the floor had a number of exits, including two freight elevators, a fire escape, and stairways down to Greene St ...

Why Fire For Not Meeting Production When Getting Huge
Jan 07, 2014

workflow changes due to a large account being lost (wasn't my primary).  Wondered why all of a sudden I was off my primary and getting mostly this account.  Of course, they didn't know it was leaving until it disappeared.  I'd probably have a heart attack if I every heard the truth.  Never know what hospital is going to show up in the queve, more longer transcription jobs, ASR jobs that have to be typed because the ASR does not match up, some horrible dict ...

They Wont Fire You If You Refuse To Change Shifts
Sep 11, 2013

That they will consider that you RESIGNED if you refuse to change. They are covering their slimy butts six ways to Sunday. ...

Let This Latest Edition Of MM Nonsense Fuel Your Hate Fire.
Sep 10, 2013

I have never been more motivated to get away from this company.  Did you know there are other places to work?? I know - I forget that too sometimes!! When I tell the people in my life what happens to me at work, they are in disbelief.  "What company is this??!!" they say. "My God - what in the world - I would never let anyone keep me shackeled to my computer all day!!" said another. "So let me get this straight, when you 'run out of work,' you have to keep checking back...lik ...

Making Less And Less
Oct 17, 2009

First there was line count....then there was ASR.....now there is MME. Does anyone know how much less they are making doing MME?  I just started and I am not making any money. Who is doing the work on the accounts that we used to do? ...

Making Even Less
Oct 20, 2009

I have just been switched to another BoB because we lost several accounts in the BoB I was in....now I have to learn all new accounts....at 3 cpl I will end up owing MQ money!! ...

How Much Are You Making?
Feb 21, 2010

Hey everyone.  I am just curious as to what everyone makes these days (if you are being paid by the line) and how long should you stay at that rate before you ask for more/raise your price? I've been at 12 cents per line for the past 3.5 years and I don't know how much more I should ask for.  I don't want to ask for too much, yet I don't want to sell myself short.  I am just thankful to even have my job so I don't want to rub anyone the wro ...

To Me2 Making 40K
Jun 17, 2010

Just have to ask, how much ASR do you do? Are you able to fly through at high speed without going back to proof and still getting strong audit? Do you have several dictators with several formats or a handful with all the same format? Your credentials are impressive but there are only so many things you can do to make that kind of money anymore and it is painful for me to know you are able to make that much at the same company, doing the same kind of work. Also, how much time would you say you ...

Making More Than Me
Nov 29, 2010

Just found out through the grapevine that someone was hired at my company at a higher cpl that I was offered.  I have been there since June and was offered a low rate compared to most MTSO companies.  But it did get me off the midnight shift at a different company, which I would have stayed with had I been given the opportunity to change shifts.  She was offered 2 cpl more for straight and 1.75 cpl more for ASR.   I also have more years in the profession than she does, a ...

MAKING $$
Jan 15, 2011

Can I make over $35,000 with Medquist? ...

Anybody Making Over 30K On SR?
Sep 30, 2011

How in the heck are you supposed to make any money doing SR?  Is it possible?  I make good money as a transcriptionist and have avoided SR up to now.  Now my company is transitioning over and I'm contemplating running for the door. I don't see how it's possible to make any money when you get paid half the cpl that you would make for transcribing.  I generally transcribe as fast as the dictator talks (unless they're really crappy, of course).  You stil ...

Am I The Only One Making
Dec 11, 2012

Input is appreciated, thank you! ...

So, If You Are On 100% QA Does That Mean You Are Only Making 1 Cpl? Nm
Feb 26, 2013

xx ...

Do You Any MTs Making $50,000 Or More Per Year?
Nov 11, 2009

Does anyone know personally of any MT who makes $50,000 a year or more?  A college recruiter called me at home one night and asked what I did for a living and when I told her I did not make that kind of money she said "I was told most MTs make around $50,000 a year.  Only in my dreams.  LOL.  ...

TO THOSE MAKING THE BUCKS
Nov 12, 2009

To those making 50+ K a year: I'm glad to know that in this industry it is still possible to make a decent living! I LOVE transcription!  I've been an at-home MT for about 5 years and see the potential, but seem to get easily distracted being at home and get restless and can't sit still.  What is it that you are doing to stay focused on your work?  Is it really about working weekends and second, third shifts?  Please share! I'm stuck at around 25K, when ...

This NP Is Making Me Crazy!!!
Nov 21, 2010

Honest to Pete, this woman has no clue about pronunciation.  A couple of reports ago she's reading a radiology report and says very clearly "primitive destruction" and then goes on to spell it "permeative."  Those are two very different words and to me have very different pronunciations. Now she's on a patient who has had chemoradiation therapy, "altima" and zometa.  Umm, you mean Alimta?  It's going to be a long afternoon.  ...

Making Pleurals
Jan 13, 2011

This dictator is saying "glute-i" to make gluteus a pleural.  I can't document a correct spelling for the pleural form of gluteus.  Thoughts?   ...

The Q Must Be Making A Lot Of Money Off Me.
Feb 13, 2011

I calculated my hourly pay for this week. Mind you, I gave it all my effort every day this week. Drum roll..... I made $6 per hour. Because we have to be paid at least minimum wage, I get paid $8 per hour. My accounts are 99% ASR. I have been getting paid minimum wage for sometime now. If they weren't making plenty of money off me, they would have let me go some time ago. ...

I Need Help With Making VR Work For Me...
Mar 17, 2011

I'm really apparently missing the magic that is needing to make VR work for me.  Please if there is someone out there that can provide me with some insight on this, I would be forever grateful.  I am struggling with getting to even 150 lph which is overwhelmingly disheartening given that prior to recently having to become a traditional employee again due to a massive life change after 20+ years as a small business owner of a small MTSO I was QAing and/or typing upwards of 250 ...

I Know How Some People Are Probably Making
May 10, 2011

ASR. They aren't following client profiles and not even reading the output based on what I saw on a report from today that I looked at! No wonder we have been told the client has been complaining about quality. ...

Anyone Besides Me Who Is New At Nuance And Not Making It
Jul 26, 2011

I really would like to hear from anyone who has been there for a matter of days to 2 months.  I am going on my 3rd week now and I am NOT making any headway at all, though the money is better than my other job.  Also, do we get paid for headers and footers.  I feel like I am typing and typing and get a lousy 44 lines sometimes... Taking a short break from Nuance, then must get back.  For example today, I worked for 90 minutes at my other job and did 567 lines (editing). Then ...