A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

If you are one of the chosen....Please Please read post - thank u

Posted: Mar 08, 2012

I do not mean to insult or assume those who are "chosen" are not able to articulate crucial concerns, or in fact, care about the systemic denegration of MT professsion......howeverrrrrrrr...if you want a few talking points..please feel free to read below:

Incentive:  I feel the biggest issue is no incentive plan for a PRODUCTION job.  This absolutely goes against every corporate principle to increase productivity, be it commissionable sales (as I am sure account executives are receiving) or the production/piece meal work MTs provide.  A sound, inspiring incentive program would be the quickest way to not only clear house of MTs who just are not up to this job (sorry newbies or just plan lazy..and I include myselve in the latter...), but in the end would save this company major $$ on benefits, payroll taxes, etc by reducing the number of MTs required to produce work.

Time Clock/Schedule:  The most morale depleting function of my job is clocking in, in my own living room.  YES! Schedules are important, but we are professional MLS and if we are not producing work during the hours we have agreed to work, then it is simple, fire us!  But to spend time and money on figuring out ways how many keystrokes we do in an hour vs how often we are pee'ing or watching Judge Judy is not cost-effective and counter-productive as it severely depletes our morale. 

LPH Minimums:   LPH minimums should be a $$ amount and not production amount thereby factoring in ASR and straight typing.  MT is required to make so much per day to accomplish minimum, and with my new incentive plan, this would, again naturally weed out MTs who are able to produce from those who just cannot produce.  Again, give a decent incentive program and this would take care of itself. 

Top Heavy Management:  This company has so many middle managers running around and still manages to isolate and have very little contact with their work force.  If there is a CCM and QA, and assisstant CCM, or whatever assigned to a number of MTs, there definitely needs to be a real time accesibility availability, by instant messaging.  Having to stop, access MQcentral, send an email, and then have to exit as MQcentral is time-limited and then go back in throughout the day to see if your email has been answered is a completely antiquated way to stay in touch with your team.  I would expect more from this so-called high tech company. 

QA and 99% accuracy:  To require 99% accuracy is in a word humanly impossible.  To achieve 99% accuracy 100% of the time is just not possible and puts such a strain and emotional toll, especially if you are QA'd, fall below the 99%..and I am talking in the 98% or above, and have to go through weekly  QAs and are warned, another failure will result in further action (i.e. dismissal).  On top of which, 0.25 is deducted for "a"s instead of "the".  And finally, depending on who your QA person happens to be, is completely subjective.  This is a Set Up To Fail practice.  98% is certainly accetpable and further if an MT fails, the report itself should be looked at closely..was it dictator effect?  Was it because we are encouraged to turn the ASR up to supersonic and therefore are more likely to miss an "of" or a "the."  Further I am not speaking to sloppy, lazy, or blatently wrong medical information, but the minutiae that should not be the cost of a job!!!!

And further on QAing, the fact of looking at old reports for comparison (a huge help which I really appreciate) is in fact so time consuming, it is simply not worth it.  AGain real time accesibility without having to stop what you are doing, access another web site, filling in all data, when it should populate and go through reams of reports.  I would not mind having to go through the different reports to find the reference I need, if I did not have to take minutes to access the site in the first place.  Again  antequated and counter productive. 

And finally...ACCEPT that the US MT is still a viable and much needed part of this company.  Until the EMR is finally accepted as a mish-mash of point and click non-sequitors that nobody really cares about..then the actual MLS is important and should be treated as such.  Remind them...Nobody who is on the suite side in this "town meeting..come to Jesus seminar" could sit down and expertly edit a report or egads straight type it, but I am pretty sure most of us are college-educated and could be up to speed on the VR/EMR side very quickly. 

I strongly agree with every word of your post!!! - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
I think most of us here do, too.

But the people who need to see this aren't going to unless it is send directly to them. I'm pretty sure they won't give a hoot though.

Oh, I have read below and see what you mean by "chosen"-- - Kiki

[ In Reply To ..]
One of the ones chosen for that webcast. I really hope those who were the "lucky" chosen ones, apparently chosen randomly according to my CCM, will bring up all of the issues you have here. CCM says not everyone was chosen yet....but 300 out of thousands isn't too many. Maybe better if everyone who sees this post re-words it a little and sends one to their CCM and all upper management. I say this kind of skeptically (?) but hey, better than doing nothing at all I guess.

I disagree with the LPH minimum versus pay. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm sure many are in the same boat as I am. The ASR is so so so very very very bad, that, although I make the LPH, some pay periods I end up getting supplemental pay because of the amount of time I spend formatting, punctuating, correcting the ASR, and 98% of what I get is ASR. Every once in a blue moon I get an ASR output that is as they promised, but that is usually not in my usual accounts.

the only reason I suggest $$ minimum is actually in the end to - protect the MT.. SM

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't mean for them to set the $$ so high it is impossible to reach. I am very positive that those MTs that will need to be supplemented to make up for BELOW MINIMUM WAGE will sadly be replaced. I know that is harsh and I am sorry for that. I work on ASR all day and I honestly can easily do 150 LPH. I see a lot of complaining about ASR on this board, but in my experience, while it certaily is no way in hell 40% faster, it is an excellent MT tool, not the body replacement THEY had hoped for..but I certainly like ASR. Yes..there are the reports that are from hell, but honestly I think it does very well.

I am sorry if that is not everybody's experience, though.

Do you think - 150lph

[ In Reply To ..]
is good? I can type over 200 lph.
No..my point was to the previous message who indicated she would not like - $$ minimum because she gets make-up pay
[ In Reply To ..]
and I further elaborated how I felt ASR was, for me, a wonderful tool. I easily average 300-400 LPH with ASR, but with straight typing, I also easily averaged 300-350 lph, so again, not seeing the 40% increase to make up for the 40% cut in pay.
If I was averaging 300 LPH ASR, I would be thrilled. - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
I wish I could spend a day on your accounts to see how they compare.

Do you listen to every word of the report or skim through?

TIA - looking for any tips. If I did 300 LMP I could afford my bills better.
Not me - still a paycut
[ In Reply To ..]
I would need 400. The other poster would need 600-700. ASR is a joke. I think we can pretty much say that you can get the same with ASR as you do typing, few exceptions of course. This means your pay gets cut in half. People who do ASR will be working for free soon.
300 LPH ASR is still a wage cut from straight typing for me, but at least it would be something. - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
I at least need a few crumbs thrown my way rather than the powder from the bottom of the cereal box - speaking metaphorically.
I absoultely agree, to make what I made before on ASR, I would need to do - a minimum of 600 lph or 4800 lines per day. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I need to absolutely clarify...that is sitting down and doing nothing but - ASRing for 1 hour. I cannot do that for 8 hours s
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sorry, I did not mean to mislead. If was turning in 2400 to 3200 lines per day (which is still pay cut BTW as back in the day I easily made $28 to $32 hour), I would be a little more satisfied too, but the fact is I get up a lot and get distracted. However, when I sit down and do nothing but work for 1 solid hour, I never get less than 350 lph. I think it is more realistic over the course of an 8 hour day factoring in all the downtime I do about 250 lph.
Gottcha - so sorry - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x

150 lph does not equal minimum wage. - You gotta do more than 150 lph

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to at least average like 160 or more to make minimum wage for my state. So thats really not a good reason to ask them to put in place a dollar amount.

That idea is just a bad concept to me because there are so many other factors that come into play here and until those things are addressed, putting a dollar amount in place would only make matters worse.

And I personally cannot afford to be "lazy" or slow, this is my only income so Im by no means what someone said "dead weight". I think anyone working for a living is working to pay their bills and hence not just here for the fun of or here to be sitting around wasting time.
I have to do 200 lph to get minimum wage. - dnr
[ In Reply To ..]
Minimum wage will barely pay the rent where I live. I am now being a grounds keeper/pet sitter in exchange for rent and utilities.
In the same boat - Solidarnosc
[ In Reply To ..]
Same here, live in a high minimum wage state and would have to do 200 lph of ASR to make minimum wage. And at that, the minimum wage in this state is still about $3.50/hour below a living wage.

Tell them to fix the way work is routed. - The biggest complaint I hear is

[ In Reply To ..]
Folks working on 15 to 20 accounts per day. They need to fix that and narrow it down to maybe 5 accounts at the most.

Anything more than that causes the MT to lose money, makes the client unhappy because there is the potential for errors and in the long run will cost the company money.

If they could fix that, a lot of other problems will fall into place, hence productivity will go up, less errors, more money for the MTs because they are working consistently on familiar accounts affording the opportunity to use templates and expansions etc.

But please no dollar amount, I prefer the lph method. There are too many things that can impact amount of money made per day and implenting a flat dollar amount per day or pay-period, could really hurt the MT.

I am one of the 'chosen' ones, so I really appreciate - hopeful

[ In Reply To ..]
all input anyone can post. I don't plan to sit by quietly! I definitely plan on giving them a strong opinion about their 'boost initiate'. They can't seem to get it through their heads that every mouse/cursor movement is a signal that ASR output was wrong. I know all the shortcuts and we should be trusted to figure out how to use them to best advantage. They are cracking the whip on the wrong people. They should be cracking the whip on the ASR programmers.

Been typing all day, not sraight typing, but ASR - quality has been pretty bad today for ASR reports

[ In Reply To ..]
So bad that it was quicker for me to just start typing the report. Did'nt hit F11 though, but should have. Just typed it at ASR rate.

I had to take a break for a while. Maybe it'll get better when I punch back in. Some docs it does really good with and others really poor.

Seems today I got all the docs that it struggles with.

Similar Messages:

How Much Do They Post Audit And How Chosen
Dec 23, 2014

I thought it was supposed to be like a 2% representation of your total line count.  How do they figure this, is it computer determined or random by QA staff? Do they have some program that generates and spits out which ones to be picked?  Do the QA staff have the option of picking whatever they want to?  I know there has to be some QA/QC people on here who might know.    ...

I Just Read A Post By Someone Who Went From MME Back To MT/ME
Dec 16, 2011

OMG.  I had no idea we could do this - I thought once we were "promoted" to MME we were stuck with it.  I've never made so little money in my life than I have as an MME … it has been one of the biggest mistakes I've made in my life.  How did you do that, was it as simple as just saying you didn't want to do it anymore?  Did your CCM give you a hard time about it?  ...

Please Go To Main Board. Read Post RE EMR. NM.
Aug 11, 2014

XX ...

Warning: Do Not Read This Post If You Want To Hate Nuance
Apr 15, 2015

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/04/14/gravity-payments-raise_n_7061676.html The CEO of the company Gravity, doubled all his lowest paid employees salaries to 70k per year AS WELL AS lowered HIS OWN from ONE million to 70k per year. The company's minimum wage is 70k per year.  That guy is my HERO.  Can you even imagine?     ...

Warning: Do Not Read If You Are Bitter, Angry Or A Bad MT. Long Post. Sm
Jan 21, 2012

I think it's time to hear from "the other side", so I volunteered myself.  If you don't like it, too bad, but I will tell you the truth about how most MTSOs feel.  Through the years, I have gotten to be friends or at least friendly with many other MTSOs, some who have sold their companies and got out, some who sold their companies and came back and some who have never sold their companies.  I have been an MTSO for 24 years, and I was a transcriptionist and transcription ...

I Have Been Chosen.
Dec 18, 2013

Got the email that I have been identified as someone who would benefit from SR proficiency mentoring. In other words, I am not fast enough. Oh goody. I was "mentored" a long time ago, and, after watching me a few minutes, the mentor said it was the SR, not me. :-P. Well, the SR has gotten even worse since that time! Add to that, I am having to spend even more time adding commas and formatting than in the past. Heck, I'm the one who got a sizeable ding when I "added" a word, "add" when ...

Guess I Am Not One Of The Chosen Few
Mar 07, 2012

E-mail says 300 MTs chosen to attend the webcast.  If you haven't received an invitation, you're not in.  Curious to see what the 300 have to say... ...

So Do We Think They've Chosen & Notified All 60?
Mar 20, 2014

x ...

Shady Acres Radiology; Any Of The Chosen 23 Get An Interview Or Hear Back From Them
Sep 05, 2010

Back on August 22 or 23, there was a job posting for Shady Acres Radiology, and several people said they had received an Email from Shady Acres indicating that they had chosen 23 resumes, asked some computer questions, and if they would agree to a background check; and that Shady Acres would contact them within 7 to 10 days for an interview.   Did any of the lucky "chosen 23" hear back yet (their 10 days is up).   Whenever I see “background check” I expect the ...

Anyone Receive A Reply From The Transcription Doctors Job Post On Their Post For Editscript MTs?
Mar 24, 2010

nm ...

Orthopedic Surgery, Is It Perineal Post Or Peroneal Post? NM
Feb 10, 2012

xx ...

RE: New Post Replies, Do They All Go To The Bottom Of The Original Post?
Jan 23, 2010

I don't remember that yet when I post lately it goes all the way to the bottom rather than immediately after the original post.  Perhaps I just never noticed it before.  Oh well... ...

Question On Post Vs Status Post
Oct 22, 2009

Sometimes I'm not sure what to do when they say "post" ... something. I know if it is postauricular (for example), it is attached ... but how about post aneurysmal surgery?  It does not seem like it would be attached.  - Is it proper to leave it stand-alone or should I change it to status post ... or actually attach it? Thanks in advance!!  ...

WELL SAID! ** READ THIS**
Oct 27, 2009

Found this in the Letters to Editor in AdvanceWeb.com. :   I feel compelled to voice my thoughts on the topic of credentialed MTs; the reason being I work with a fantastic group of MTs under my management. We work at a community hospital in a centralized setting; all departments dictate their patient records and we transcribe them. They are highly skilled, productive and accurate and simply the best staff to manage. Here are my thoughts. * Are Credentialed MTs better? If t ...

Re-read
Dec 11, 2009

Good Morning MQ-ville. I was reading a posting below, started yesterday "Whadayaknow" and there were a couple of responses to the posting that I think are worth you reading. We should all be much more PROACTIVE in the auditing process and ask questions or if we disagree, tell them we do!  We should also not take BS sitting down!  I agree that too many of us have just accepted being fed crap because we've begun to feel "beaten down". I also am 'MAD AS HELL AND NOT GOING TO ...

Read This
Feb 27, 2010

Check out this link.   http://www.medindia.net/health-press-release/Webmedx-Receives-Best-in-KLAS-Award-for-Outsourced-Transcription-for-2009-56883-1.htm ...

I Think I Read Somewhere On Here Before...
Mar 03, 2010

that Softscript doesn't pay for spaces.  Is that true or just a rumor?  ...

Oh My! This Is A Must Read!
Aug 01, 2010

Oh my gosh!  Open this article and read what is down below at the VERY BOTTOM LEFT OF THIS ARTICLE!  Somebody by the name of Kumar is asking a question about night shifts and the associated illegal activities that comes out of it.  Some of us are called the Y generation!   http://www.deccanherald.com/content/84978/indian-bpos-facing-huge-churn.html   CBaySystems VP - HR Sanjay Shanmugaum believes that, “the average attrition rate in the BPO sector is higher th ...

Please Read
Apr 30, 2011

in the MT Stars archives a post entitled "MT's and Unions, and past mistakes:".  This was posted on 11/23/10.  I am contacting various union representatives, among other things.  The most important thing is to get the word out as much as we can about the unfair policies on MT's by various companies.  I know it can seem futile, but I think if enough of us communicate long enough, someone has to listen.  Thanks. ...

Do Not Read This!!!!!
Oct 05, 2014

The older I get, the less able I am to tolerate these mush-mouthed, lip smacking, gum chewing, burping, toilet flushing dictators.  And those are the good ones that I've had lately which should give you any idea of how the rest of them are.  I so wish I could quit this lousy business altogether, but right now that's just not possible.  I will now get off the soap box and let someone else have their turn. ...

A Must Read For All MTs.
Mar 24, 2015

So relevant to what we are dealing with here at Nuance. http://www.fortherecordmag.com/archives/0315p18.shtml ...

Read This!
May 25, 2015

I just found out that a mail clerk, working in a mail room at a local company, earned more $$$ than I did last year!  QC with 30+ years' experience!  My God.  Nuance is killing me!  Cannot wait to say Goodbye :( ...

Postdischarge, Post-discharge, Or Post Discharge?
Nov 14, 2011

Which one do you guys use?  I find it all 3 ways on the net, with no clear indication as to what's correct.  Thx.   ...

Post Audit And Now A Post Audit M Report!!
Jan 19, 2015

Has anybody gotten the above email stating now there are 2 post audit reports that we have to pull?  The regular one and now a post audit m report???  What is this for???  This gets crazier every day ...

New MTs Board -- ALL READ
Oct 25, 2009

This particular board, the New MTs board, is devoted to assisting the newcomers to this profession.  It is here as a help, an assistance, a way to advise and mentor newbies.  It is NOT a place to slam, discourage, handslap or pick fights between newbies and experienced MTs.  We are not going to have an ongoing war or scuffles between the experienced MTs and the newbies or vice versa in regard to who should or should not be in this industry, who does a better job, who knows more, ...

WHAT THE ***? IMPORTANT!! ALL MUST READ!
Dec 17, 2009

The HITECH Act: Will You Be Fine, or Fined? FRANKLY, OUR GOVERNMENT SUCKS BIG TIME!  I AM STILL USING A WORK COMPUTER, IS THAT GOOD OR NOT??? Under the new Health Information Technology for Economic and Clinical Health Act (HITECH Act) that takes effect this upcoming February, you as a transcriptionist could now be directly liable for any private health information (PHI) that is stolen or somehow reaches the public domain. That could include any transcriptions you produce that are emailed ...

A Good ASR Read
Dec 22, 2009

November 23, 2009 Transcription Technology Wars — Navigating the ASP/ASR/ARRA BattlefieldBy Dale Kivi, MBAFor The RecordVol. 21 No. 22 P. 10 Choose an ill-fitting business model and healthcare providers may become economic casualties, according to an industry insider. Why have new equipment sales by previously dominant transcription technology leaders such as Dictaphone and Lanier all but faded off the face of the planet in favor of thin-client application service provider (ASP) and aut ...

IMPORTANT! Every MT/MME Needs To Read This!
Mar 03, 2010

Just spoke to someone I know in TAA/Unemployement office.  FIRST TIME RIGHT is a gray area. We can fight this because it is a gray area. It is not right that if a doctor dictates and we cannot understand what they are saying for sure and we can get docked in pay, literally take money from us.  IT IS NOT LEGAL.   That is probably why the big bosses are on this board to see what they can get away with.  We have every right to fight them.  It is just wrong!  I WAS ...

TO ALL MTSOs - Please Read And Think About This.
Apr 14, 2010

Let me introduce myself.  I am a full time MT with 25 years experience in this business, averaging typing 2000 lines per day, audit scores 98% and above, who willingly works OT when requested, and I have never taken a sick day.  I consider my job a serious employment commitment. I am the bread-winner in my family.  I don't say this to indicate I make the most money.  This means I PAY THE BILLS.  You know, mortgage, car payments, insurance, light bill, food on the ta ...

To All MT/MLS/Editors/QA - Please Read
May 18, 2010

This is my yearly ode to all of you during MT WEEK, and I want to again express my humble opinion.  For just a few minutes, please put aside your depression and anger at your profession and just take a deep breath and listen to what I have to say.    I am truly awed by what you all do. What other profession would you have to be a medical terminology specialist, pharmacology specialist, English language expert, AND a computer/software expert all in one?  There is no other pr ...