A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

TO ALL MTSOs - Please read and think about this. - Why you will force good MTs out of the business.

Posted: Apr 14, 2010

Let me introduce myself.  I am a full time MT with 25 years experience in this business, averaging typing 2000 lines per day, audit scores 98% and above, who willingly works OT when requested, and I have never taken a sick day.  I consider my job a serious employment commitment. I am the bread-winner in my family.  I don't say this to indicate I make the most money.  This means I PAY THE BILLS.  You know, mortgage, car payments, insurance, light bill, food on the table, etc., just like many of you.  If I budget wisely, I may buy relatives birthday/Christmas gifts, and maybe even take an inexpensive vacation once a year. 

I have made an average annual income of $45,000 or more per  year.  In order to do this, you have forced me to sit at my computer 10-14 hours a day (WITHOUT PAYING OT, which you are legally obligated to do) just to get 4-5 hours worth of work.  You call it "flexing."  Some of you have extremely cumbersome platforms, which slows down an MT and causes many delays and/or demographic mistakes.  You do not pay for demographics, copies to physicians, or for the research to complete them.  You allow QA personnel to treat us like inmates, nickpicking, and insulting whenever they get the chance.  I have worked overtime, without putting it on my LEGAL timesheet, as requested by you.  In your price-cutting wars, you have driven the wages in this industry so far south you have almost reached north again; however, you require more and more knowledge, skill, specialties, research, and ridiculous schedules to meet TAT.  You overhire, hurting all of our incomes.  You ask much, but give little.  The threats of reducing our benefits or full time status gets old.  The constant e mails or IMs all day long get very old, and hurts production.  QA constantly complaining about actually having to do their job gets old and is falling on deaf ears.

SOooo very many of you have the nerve to employ someone like me, and then without ANY notice, call me on the phone and say, "Sorry, we are offshoring your account."  I also have gotten calls to say, "Sorry, we are putting your account on VR and we only need half the MTs we have."  Funny, you request notice even for a dentist appointment.  These things are not isolated incidents, but have become the norm in this business.  There are many MTs like me who go through this, it seems daily now.  HOW DO YOU SLEEP AT NIGHT?  Putting someone out of a job without a second thought has become the norm also.  If you recognize yourself here - I hope your business goes down the tubes overnight, no notice.

You are forcing many highly skilled and dedicated MTs out of this business.  They can simply no longer afford to do this, or go through the job hopping that has become more and more prevelant.  Many have been around longer than a lot of MTSOs.  They know how to do transcription, and you could learn a lot about maintaining clients by listening to them.  If you want MTs to be reliable and take their employment as a serious obligation, try being a decent employer.  Pay for the knowledge and skills you require.  Pay for demographics and copies that you require.  Pay for the overtime that you SECRETLY require.  Stop with all the games.  You know exactly who you are!!!!! 

Very well said my fellow MT. nm - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

P.S. - and get a clue

[ In Reply To ..]
The stuff that you have left that has not gone on VR, are ESLs who should be fired for endangering patient care, or at the very least charged double for the crap they "dictate" and expect us to transcribe. They probably wouldn't be able to understand themselves if they listened to the very reports they dictated. And this is what you want to pay us 7-8 cpl for? You try it.

WOW- well said!!!! - Transcender

[ In Reply To ..]
Very well said. These places are killing us, while putting more and more money into their own pockets. Feeding their families a lot better than we are and I'll bet they even get a paid vacation! Can you even imagine that?

Kudos - DMZ

[ In Reply To ..]
Very well said. That should be sent to the newspaper in one of the editorial columns.

RIGHT-ON TO THE MAX! - Tribble

[ In Reply To ..]

And, btw, you know what is makes it even worse for me? - Unbelievable

[ In Reply To ..]
I feel perfectly safe in saying most MTs LOVE our jobs, which makes it even more hurtful! We're doing something we love to do, and they are killing the industry WE love. Most of us look on MTing not as just a job, but a CAREER, a way of life, for cripe's sake. We have all invested so much time, energy and effort into perfecting our skills so we can contribute to the field of our choice, and they treat us like automated machines without a brain in our heads to be used and tossed aside like WE could care less.

Arghhhh, don't even let me get started. I love this profession and what it is becoming/has become is an travesty.

Sorry, ladies, carry on.

Unbelievable - Nick

[ In Reply To ..]
.....and not forgetting that some of us are gentlemen.....

I was going to say you go girl, but I forgot, there are men in this field too!! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

1000 apologies, Nick :-) - Unbelievable

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't met many of my "fellow" MTs, but I certainly would never undermine your contribution to the field. In fact, I wish there were more of you!

My apologies, wholehearted :-)
Unbelievable - Nick
[ In Reply To ..]
No apologies necessary! :)

Completely agree with your statement, u know as well as I, MTSOs main concern is their bottom line. - sad but true

[ In Reply To ..]
They donĂ¢€™t care if we can make our mortgage payments, car payments, etc. If it does not benefit them, they could care less. I also have been doing this for 25+ years, and have seen my salary go up and then come down again at the hands of corporate bandits. I too have been given benefits, only to have them taken away to satisfy the bottom line.

I challenge any of the MTSO executives to walk in my shoes for a week, perform my job as well as I do, take all the disrespect that is shoveled to you and then let me know if you can live on what you made that week, especially if that is all you made every week. This is an open challenge to any of you who have the fortitude to do what we do day after day, 365 days a year, all for your bottom line.

Yep - Gone South - Almost North Again

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder how many MTs have been at their jobs for more than 10 years. I mean the same company, that has not changed hands, doing the same work for the same, or increasing pay. Probably not many.

The need to get out of the business comes when you get used by companies that eventually do offshore, go to VR, or lose the clients - and this happens for so many years. Then you are in your 50's and the industry has become what it is, and batta boom - batta bing, you are too old to start in a new profession, but you can't retire and you need stable employment with a secure income. I am not someone who can depend on DH's income. I need to be constantly employed at a certain level of income. Working at home is not that big a deal to me, but this is where the money has been in the past. I need to get out before I am too old to get a good-paying job where I can use my skills, somewhere I can retire from, somewhere that I feel will be there for the next 10-12 years, and I can count on it. If not, I need to save about 6 months of income so I can afford to keep switching from company to company according to their needs.

Im in the same boat as you - only 60 yrs old and - over 35 years MT experience.

[ In Reply To ..]
- Can't afford to retire.

- Been looking for a new job, but so far no one will hire me as soon as they figure out my age and/or experience, even though I don't tell them.

- Thought about school, but how long will this take, going to night-school only and still working 10-14 hours a day? Can't afford the tuition, anyway.

- And just what, if anything, can I learn in 5 years of night school that will (A) still be around by that time, and (B) will hire a 70-year-old "newbie"? The only ones I can think of are McDonald's and Walmart, and you don't need a degree in anything to work for them.

- And what finally happens, once you are truly too old or infirm to work any longer? Retirement savings? What's THAT? A couple of jokers who crashed a pair of airliners into the World Trade Center in 2001 all but wiped that out. Rebuild my savings? On what an MT makes? Only if I start printing my own money.

Yep - Gone South - Anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Four decades of experience. In 1991, I made 91K (Bay Area, fat contract, great pay). I just filed my taxes (barely beating the late deadline). I made 47K. I rest my (and your) case.

Me too, I've gone WAY South - Anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
Used to make in the $30,000 range. Lost a couple of great accounts to MQ. Took a pay cut because of MQ snatching up OUR accounts and I made a grand total of $18,000 and the kicker is I've worked harder to make no money than I did when I made decent money.

Something has got to give here because I am at the end of my rope!

Yes, and that demographic lookup time - can mount up

[ In Reply To ..]
I wonder if anyone has done a cumulative audit of how long it takes in an 8 hour day to pause and look up that patient info or cc info or whatever that never gets quantified. It would be interesting to know that info.

For me, lately it seems as if for every 5 min. I spend - typing, I spend 10-15 min. on demographics.

[ In Reply To ..]
It's totally INSANE. The job has become 30% transcription, and 70% data entry. But we only get paid for the transcription part.

Very True - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Oh, I put my blood and guts into this, only to have it all ripped out from under me/out of me, however one wants to phrase it.

I worked so hard. A lot of tears, a lot of hours, a lot of sacrifice, etc. My wonderful understanding husband listening to me cry and whine while trying to get good at this, and for what?

Sad but true....this is soooo depressing... - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

Wow, I could have written your letter, if you hadnt - beat me to it! Not only that, - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
but you said everything I've been wanting to tell my employer, and ALL MTSOs, for a long time, now, so much better than I ever could have. Up to and including the illegal unpaid overtime. And to add to your post, another thing that's getting old is telling us we should be able to get our lines in 8 hours. BULL!!! Not with NJA all the time. Not with their ponderous platforms, ditzy demographics, and puny pay. It just ain't physically possible.

I think we should start gathering in front of, and PICKETING, some of the major MT employers, so that the media will finally develop an interest in the story.

BRAVO...you nailed it...I wish I could send this to my employer.. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

You could always print it and send anonymously - via "Snail Mail". nm

[ In Reply To ..]

There is still a city postmark, guess I could go for a drive 1 state over..LOL.. - nm

[ In Reply To ..]

AND BEWARE of what many companies are doing now. - Hiring for straight typing

[ In Reply To ..]
Absolutely, the only way any MTSO can stay competitive now is to institute VR on all they can (except impossible ESLs). This is what you will get. If not, then they have landed a new big account that they need typed until they can get it on VR. It will take many months. They hire very experienced MTs to work it. Over 6-12 months the work gets to be less and less, until you get that call and they tell you - last hired, first fired, as the account is going on VR. They will use you until they get to that point and then you are gone - No Notice ofcourse. Happening every day now.

Perfectly stated... - Sam

[ In Reply To ..]
and that is why I'm changing professions...it's not going to get any better I'm afraid. Use your skills where they will be appreciated.

Wow, this could have been written by me.... - Athena

[ In Reply To ..]
So very well said. Thanks so much!!!

What would be fair - Athena

[ In Reply To ..]
would be for the MTSO to devise a way to attach a payscale to the dictators.
Anyone who speaks English clearly enough so that the MT can edit "in half the time it would take to transcribe it" (i.e.,the reason we were told our pay drastically decreased) would be at the lower pay rate and any dictator that speaks poor English, mumbles, flirts, cracks up laughing, chews food, coughs and spits, talks to their armpit, etc.(we all know some of the American doctors are horrible and some of the ESLs are quite good), would be paid at the rate we used to make before we lost our pay.

When the VR/pay cut started, for me 2 years ago, I thought I was the only one who was struggling...I kept watching the boards wondering if it was just something wrong with me. MTSO kept telling me how well the other MTs were doing...how many of them were making good money (lie) Sadly to say, I'm in a very large boat with the rest of you, 20 years experience here. I insanely keep trying to get better at VR..but it is like beating a dead horse.

35+years in the business! - old and frustrated MT

[ In Reply To ..]
All the above posts are sOOOOOOOO, Sadly true. Once a proud and viable career has gone in the crapper! The post about McDonald's/Wal-Mart made me chuckle. Wally World thinks I'm too qualified (chuckle chuckle). Five years and counting to 62 so I can retire and still live in poverty! Right now I'm too tired, too old and too fed up to care - I just plod along sitting in here for 10 hours for three hours worth of work. It is so depressing.

Similar Messages:

So The MTSOs Come Here And Read???
Aug 08, 2013

After more than 25 years in this business, I am getting the heck out!  I don't mind working hard.  I do very well on audits.  I am reliable.  I have made more than $40,000 a year until now, and did not even have to work 8 hours to do it.  I have worked over-time when needed.  I have loved doing this - until now. What this profession has turned into is a crying shame,  competitiveness, greed, and pettiness.  Are MT schools actually still taking p ...

For The MTSOs Who Read This Board
Feb 18, 2012

I am curious about something.  I see the ads you all post here and then I see all the posts on the Job Wanted board.  Why wouldn't you offer your positions to those MTs who take the time and initiative to post on the Job Wanted board?  I just don't understand why you would want the daunting task of filtering through hundreds of replies which you surely get when you advertise when you have a page full of eager MTs?   ...

Open Letter To MTSOs. Please Read.
Aug 04, 2014

Yes, I've been doing this a long time, but please don't think it's fair to hire me and stick me in the cesspool of horrible dictators and expect me to meet the same requirements as the newbies you hire for easy accounts. Same pay, same percentage to send to QA. It's not fair. I'm on a very large account and I get the same handful of horrible dictators every day, that cannot be understood. Either pay me more than the newbies or give me a mix of hard and easy!!! I' ...

WEBMEDX Line Counting Could Affect ALL MTSOs,a Must Read
Aug 19, 2010

http://www.executivehm.com/article/Transcription-in-the-21st-century/ This article (above link)  has quotes from present COO of Wedmedx who is President of MTIA and used to be former Spheris boss.  This article explains how the MTSOs want our lines counted.  It explains how they want to take away all keystrokes that cannot be seen by the naked eye.  Won't this effectively save the hospitals and MTSOs from paying MTs for up to 1/3 of the keystrokes w ...

Why Do MTSOs Pay So Little Now?
Aug 31, 2011

Just a few years ago I was making 50K plus doing the same exact thing I am now getting paid 10-12 dollars an hour for.    Does anybody know the real reason for this dramatic change?  the details? ...

Hey, MTSOs
Dec 20, 2011

When will you MTSOs wise up and realize that pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and pages of account specs for nitpicky docs SLOW DOWN YOUR MTs?  If you had any sense, you would use standardized headings in all reports and then turn that into a positive by telling prospective clients that it expedites turnaround of their reports.  That is *exactly* what I did back when I owned my company, and it worked!&n ...

Hey, MTSOs...
May 25, 2012

If you want experienced qualified MTs who have been doing this for years and years & can do any WT, any accent, any specialty, adapt to any software quickly.... quit requiring them to include a weekend day.  Save those for part-timers or newbies.  The experienced "oldies" have done their graveyard and weekend time.  There are actually some companies who "get" that.  If you're wondering why you can't find good experienced MTs, maybe that's why... ...

Any MTSOs Out There?
May 26, 2013

Hello! I'm a small MTSO who had lost some clients due to EMR.  I'm not yet ready to give up as of yet because I love this profession very much being in the MT business for the past 11 years.  I have heard stories about more and more doctors getting frustrated with EMR and would still want to dictate parts of the medical reports but somehow needed the transcribed dictation interfaced with their own EMR system.  I'm very interested to learn how this is done so I can o ...

Any MTSOs That Do NOT Use QA To
Mar 31, 2014

Honestly, I hate change but I am ready to jump. I don't ask too much, just to know if I get audited by QA the intent is not to take money off me. From what I can see, both the two big 2 - Nuance and MModal - use QA punitively financially, and while I have no objection to QA, when it is used to pick off MT pay I find that reprehensible and not an incentive to work your heart out, if you get what I mean. If anyone cares to share their company's policies, especially if they don't ...

Are There Any MTSOs Out There
Sep 05, 2014

on an employee status?  Would love to get out of the big N, but I don't want to be an IC at my age. ...

MTSOs: Would You Please Tell Us When There Is No
Feb 09, 2015

That would make things much easier for us to plan ahead the rest of our shift;  whether to sit there and wait for work, or if we only will be working part of a shift and the work runs out,  or if we can sign out and do other things in our personal life that need to be done.  I can't see that it's that big a problem or inconvenience for you to simply send an email to all on the account, or instant message, or whatever.  You do it when you're begging for he ...

Do You Think MTSOs Are Using VR Instead Of Offshoring?
Oct 20, 2009

I could be wrong, but it appears to me that the VR came about as an answer to the problem of offshoring.  I am sure many clients prefer to keep their dictation/transcription right here in the USA and request that from the companies they use.  Maybe we should not be so adverse to it, as it could be the only means of keeping the work here affordably. ...

Question For MTSOs
Nov 12, 2009

How do you handle using subcontractors (IC's) and still be HIPAA and HITECH compliant?  I guess what I'm getting at is after I did some reading on IRS rules for employee versus IC, it sounds almost impossible to have IC and be HIPAA/HITECH compliant. One says I have to provide training/education on HIPAA, yet the other ones says I can't provide training/education otherwise they are an "employee."  One says I can't dictate how the work station is set up, etc., but t ...

How Do MTSOs Get Away With Hiring Only ICs.
Dec 17, 2009

Is this just a scam so that employers don't have to pay benefits and employer taxes?  I bet if there was an audit, most ICs and MTSOs would be in trouble for using that classification improperly, especially for the full-time positions. I even applied for a full-time secretarial job in a small law office recently, and was told I would be hired as a contractor with no benefits.  I was stunned and declined.  I need to check with the labor department to see if some of my concern ...

Radiololgy MTSOs
Mar 09, 2010

I have finally been offered 2 jobs after working for a company that required experienced MTs but only pays 24,000 a year - that's right, I am eligible for poverty-level discounts on my utilities while working fulltime as a seasoned MT, making the highest line count on my account. So, I wonder how I can ask:  How much money can I expect to make?  I want to make 40 grand a year at least.  ...

Question For MTSOs (sm)
May 06, 2010

I am just curious at what point you stop looking at resumes that have been emailed to you after posting a job.  Is it 50?  100?  More or less?  If I have been away from the board for a bit and come back to find a job that has been posted that I am interested in, if there are more than 200 views to it I generally move on and do not bother with applying.  I figured that with that many viewing probably half or more have applied and sending my resume at that point would be ...

MTSOs Using What You Say On Forums Like This Against You
Jun 15, 2010

I'm not an MTSO, never was, and never would be if I could help it. In one of the threads below someone mentioned that some larger MTSOs hold it against someone if they post something on a forum like this. I put myself in the position of the MTSO for a moment. What would I do if someone contacted me and told me that one of the MTs that was working for me was trashing me on a public forum. I would go look at it. If I knew who they were, I wouldn't send them any additional work. It wouldn ...

MTSOs Being Greedy
Jul 27, 2010

Let's get to the point here on why most MTSOs are greedy.  It is not because the MT makes mistakes or should make mistakes.  That is not the issue.  The real issue is that MTSOs don't pay what a quality MT is worth!  That's where the "greedy" comes in.  It also shows that the MTSO obviously doesn't really care about the transcriptionist at all.  If an MTSO pays really low, this says to me they are treating the MTs as robot "worker bees" work ...

MTSOs And Windows
Jul 29, 2010

Man...sometimes I'm sorry I upgraded to Windows 7 64 bit last October.  It is not compatible with many MTSOs' tech, so I can't apply.   ...

Why MTSOs Operate The Way They Do
Jun 23, 2011

I have worked for a company for almost two years now (MT for 11 years) and am wondering why, all of the sudden, for about a week now I have been getting nothing but dictators that I am not familiar with.  They are part of my pool and I have had dictations from them in the past, but never exclusively.  I have only gotten two dictations in this time period from the dictators for whom I normally transcribe.  I understand wanting everyone on the team to be familiar with all ...

ICs And MTSOs. Are You In Compliance? Sm
Feb 03, 2012

ICs beware.  If your MTSO is found to be noncompliant by the IRS, you will be next in their crosshairs. http://erginc.com/pdfs/independent_contractors_20_questions.pdf ...

I Think The MTSOs Should Be Forced To Pay - Sm
Feb 18, 2012

for all MTs it has forced into poverty or joblessness because of offshoring, VR, and crummy wages to be able to return to school or job retraining FREE OF CHARGE, so we can remain gainfully employed. Most of us who've been in this biz for longer than 4 or 5 years have no hope of being able to afford to go to school.  And those of us who've been MTs longer than 20 years need help and advocacy when it comes to job placement, because currently I seriously doubt many companies would h ...

May 1st Sickout And MTSOs.
Apr 23, 2012

Don't let the threats by MTSOs scare you.  It is true that in most state employment is "at will" but if they fire people for calling in sick, equipment problems, ill child, power failure, etc. they WILL be paying unemployment for all those people which will be a big financial hit.  They are the ones that are scared.  Why do you think there are so many "suit" posts on this board trying to discourage this organized demonstration?  As far as MTSOs and ICs go, ICs are on the ...

Are There Any MTSOs That Let You Work PRN (sm)
Jun 13, 2012

on a part-time basis?  I like where I work, but sometimes run out of work for a couple hours and it would be nice to be able to have a backup MTSO where I could work p.r.n.  I have thought about a part-time gig, but when my account gets real busy then I wouldn't be able to handle the part-time job.  Any suggestions? ...

Do You Think MTSOs/hospitals Keep An MT
Jul 23, 2012

I've been applying and applying for every in house MT job that comes along in my area.  I have the skills, I have the experience, and all that.  Even for jobs where I would have been a perfect fit, I'm always passed over.   Although I'm applying for in house, I realize that many of them also have outside vendors for overflow, or did in the past, and are transitioning back to in house.  For quite some time, I've had a suspicion that one bad-apple ...

Yep MTSOs Are Presemt
Aug 27, 2012

Yep MTSOs are on board and reading..  Since we are at it, how about a decent wage?  Other than 7 cpl?  Of course, if you pass IMPOSSIBLE QA and keep yoiur mouth shut "like a good ittle girl" then we might pay 7.5"  I have stooped to these MTSOs and their DEMANDS - the "book" is just that.  We have MTSO's who are subcontractors  -- several other services on  board.  I have been in this business for 30+ years.  When I started from home, it was on c ...

MTSOs That Use Infraware
Oct 05, 2012

Which MTSOs use infraware? ...

Will SOP To Bankrupt MTSOs?
Oct 16, 2012

From what I am hearing about the financial difficulties and downsizing of many MTSOs, I suspect that their SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) are going to bankrupt them. Will we go back to ICs working directly for the doctors/facility? Isn't it a matter of downloading a free platform or utilizing a server for MTs that encrypts? Here is where the MTSO are losing money: Clients not informed of horrid sound quality, taking the MTs a lot of extra time to decipher. Doctors are not trai ...

To MTSOs, What Does The Future Look Like To You? Sm
Apr 16, 2013

Wondering what you small MTSO companies have lined up for the future?  We have discussed what MTs are possibly switching to in the near future and now I wonder if all of these small MTSO companies that might be making a good living now have a backup plan for when it all dries up?  ...

Venting About MTSOs
May 17, 2013

I'm looking for things I can take to a pawn shop to hock today in an effort to pay my electric bill before shut off so I can keep working. I'm forced into bankruptcy and ask risk of losing my home due to the miniscule illegal wages we are paid for editing. The MTSO has not even responded to my last questions about account preferences, and notification of a technical error in the software, yet has the nerve to send me a snarky email bitching about my 100% accurate report for a mistake ...