A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Getting dinged for missing/inserted words - FYI

Posted: Mar 05, 2014

There have been quite a few complaints lately about getting audits back where the auditors have inserted or taken away words such as: the, of, a/an, etc. The omission or insertion of these words when not dictated is something that should be captured as an error. However, the point value for such an error usually is zero. This type of error is usually a feedback and educational opportunity error. Because they have a value of zero, you could potentially have 20 of these errors and still have a report that has an accuracy score of 100%. Points are counted against inserted/omitted words if it leads to a grammatically incorrect sentence or an illogical or nonsensical sentence that doesn't make sense or if the missing/inserted words lead to a change in meaning. Examples: Feedback with zero points, but will still be flagged as an error: Typed: The patient went to the store. Dictated: Patient went to the store. Typed: The patient came to ER last night. Dictated: The patient came to the ER last night. Omitted/inserted words leading to grammatically incorrect sentence with 0.25 value deduction: Typed: The patient came the ER for an ultrasound. Dictated: The patient came to the ER for an ultrasound. Omitted/inserted words leading to nonsensical or illogical sentence with a point value of 1.0: Typed: The patient came to and the of the hospital. Dictated: The patient came to the hospital. Omitted/inserted words leading to a slight change in meaning with a point value of 0.25: Typed: The patient came to the hospital at night. Dictated: The patient came to the hospital during the night. Of course, all these examples are made up. However, as an MME, these are all errors I have seen in vast quantities for many different facilities and from many different transcriptionists. Hope this helps...

Unfortunately, I am not Miss Grammar like my auditor is. - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
I was not an English major, but my grammar is certainly functional. My grammatical imperfections definitely do not deserve a failing grade.

IMO, most of the grammatical errors should only be worth 0.01 points, NOT 0.25.

If they want me to have stellar grammar skills, they can send me to classes at my local college and, of course, pay for those classes. Of course, if they did, I would find work in a publishing company editing and get paid a lot more after they train me up to be Miss Grammar. :-P

I was only trying to empower you with information so you can help yourself! - FYI

[ In Reply To ..]
Why are the only responses snide comments. I was only trying to help you so you know what is going on. If you don't want the help, then just ignore it and move on.

*Auditor Alert* - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Careful ... she's just one step away from lecturing you on your "piss poor attitude".
Does it matter who I am? - FYI
[ In Reply To ..]
Does it matter who I am? I am trying to help everyone, yet I only get mean comments and snide remarks.
I'm actually quite surprised that surprises you, LOLOL - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Since you seem baffled, let me spell it out for you.

YOU'RE AN AUDITOR.

To make things even worse, you seem to be a clueless and condescending one.
not surprised how rude people are - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
Oh no, someone is an auditor! Better be rude and treat them like garbage even if they don't deserve it.

The mentality of people on here is disgusting. Do you treat people like this in "real life" too? What in your mind thinks it's okay to treat someone like that simply because they are an auditor? Do you gay bash too? Are you also a racist? I ask because your
behavior is essentially the same!

The OP wasn't rude or condescending. She was simply trying to explain how the system works.

If you are making mistakes where you are leaving words out/adding words or are using completely different words, why shouldn't you be marked down? Plenty of people don't fail their audits. If you are failing yours maybe it's time to take a look at yourself.

And before I get accused of it, no I am NOT the OP.
Why am I condescending and clueless? - FYI
[ In Reply To ..]
Because I am trying to help people understand the importance of their job and exactly how they system works so they can try to understand it and better themselvese?
Before anyone else points it out... - FYI
[ In Reply To ..]
I MADE A MISTAKE IN MY OP!
Dont get upset over an anonymous - group.
[ In Reply To ..]
You got some likes, too. I'm sure a lot of silent MTs appreciated it. :-)
Some of the dislikes may have been about the scoring system rather than you. Just sayin...
I appreciate the QA help - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
I really do, but a lot of times they are wrong as well. It would be nice, if we had a way of contacting them directly so I could say really? no patient name in text? and you changed all my names to the patient and the CP says,,,patient name typed as dictated. Because I really don't want to get you in trouble, by contacting your supervisors, UNTIL it comes back to me as a failed audit, THEN gloves are off...So are the auditors different then QA?
ARE AUDITORS DIFFERENT THAN QA - Jasmine
[ In Reply To ..]
Hi SM,

YES, we are most definitely two different classifications of work.

I have been in QA for over 10 years, never been asked to work Audits!

I wasn't meaning to put you down. Our QA sent us the scoring document, and... - dnr

[ In Reply To ..]
I still think what they are dinging is not reasonable much of the time, especially as it has no bearing on patient care and is very functional. If I was Miss Grammar, I would get a job in publishing. There is something wrong when 2 grammar errors causes you to flunk an audit when these errors did not affect readability or patient care. Also, according to my experience for the last 6 years, I was not getting my grammar skills shredded until they started raising the quality scores above 99%. I am now spending too much time treading water trying to figure out what I will get dinged for, especially as I am getting dinged for stuff I am doing because I adjusted to the QA in my last group.

publishing co - curious

[ In Reply To ..]
Would a publishing company have at-home clerical jobs?

Grammar corrections - Jasmine

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi DNR,
It's funny how some of these foreigners (not pointing any fingers though) are so proud of their English skills, when you KNOW English is not their native language!

Adding words - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
It used to be that some accounts were verbatim and others were not. Now it seems like they all are even if not stated in the CP.

My personal preference would be to put a "The" to make a complete sentence, especially if other sentences are dictated as complete sentences. If a dictator chops every single sentence, then it feels more right to start with "Patient."

When did everything go verbatim?

MT here. I for one appreciate your comments. - It has helped me stop agonizing.

[ In Reply To ..]
...over sweating the small stuff. I am always rewinding to figure out if for example the dictator said something like 'The patient' versus 'Patient,' (well maybe not to that extreme but I can't think of a better example). I know that is a waste of time, but when I read about people supposedly failing audits over these things, it has made me overly paranoid. Even though that has never been my experience.

It is nice to know the perspective from your side and it has made me a tad more focused today. So thanks, friend!

Thanks for the support! - FYI

[ In Reply To ..]
I would be more than happy to continue posting some hints and tips if you find it helpful. This information shouldn't be solely in the hands of a certain few to yield over everyone else. If you have the information, hopefully you can use it to make your job/life easier and more pleasant.

Do not work for MM any longer, but - anonymous

[ In Reply To ..]
I would have welcomed any auditor trying to help me instead of get me fired or put on 100% QA. :)

FYI - Jasmine

[ In Reply To ..]
Hi FYI,

You know, sometimes the way these dictators speak it's hard to really tell what they're saying!

Similar Messages:

Dinged On Audit For D.O (said I Had Missing Period)
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah, welcome MQ for all the hard work I do and money I make you.  ...

Please Help With Missing Words
Oct 31, 2011

The introitus and vagina were prepped and an indwelling Foley catheter inserted to the urinary bladder to _____ (enclose with some???) drainage bag. The words in the brackets is what I'm hearing but it doesn't make sense to me - please help. Thank you Lisa ...

VR Missing More And More Words?
May 30, 2012

Has anybody noticed that the VR on Nuance is missing more and more words lately? Not little ones, but 3 or 4 in a row on the Extex/transnet program? I'm finding that it's really starting to impact my production negatively. Now wondering if it's deliberate? or am I just being paranoid these days? ...

So I Can Understand ASR Missing Words,,but
Mar 05, 2012

How come it seems like the missed words seem to be replaced with sexual organs..I mean people dont usually have an extra penis and vagina hanging around all that often, and they show in some of the darndest places.. ...

EditScript Missing Words?
Dec 04, 2014

Hello to all.  EditScrip platform - I'm wondering if anyone has problems with missed words in your reports, meaning you never heard certain words dictated, so never transcribed them.  This is single words, not a string.  I'm trying to figure out if this could be an issue with my computer or if it's the ES software, or both, maybe conflict.  I know that ES will change typed words, move them around, add caps. I've seen that with my own eyes, but with sound, ...

Dinged If You Do
Jan 29, 2013

We have an account on 100% QA which is checked by MMEs.  No 2 grade alike.  If the doctor doesn't dictate "Laboratory Data" so you don't put it, you get a nasty note, "'Laboratory Data' should have been inserted here."  So the next report, you put in "Laboratory Data" and get a nasty note "He DID NOT dictate this header!"  Can't win with this dirtbag scum-sucking cluster*&^% of a company. ...

Anyone Else Noticing More Arbitrary Red Headings Inserted By ASR?
Mar 23, 2012

I'm seeing TIME SEEN, LABORATORY FINDINGS, PLAN, MEDICATIONS even with what is actually said does not even come close to that.  As well, it seems that if it is close, it puts in a red heading.  Example:...  BY THE TIME I SEE THE PT.  Usually ends up to be something like ...by the.  </TIME SEEN/> The patient is blah, blah, blah   Or am I just imagining things?  Which would probably be a good thing since the alternative reality (ASR) is pret ...

I Inserted A S/l Kathy And Elevated The Liver To Take Down The Adhesions
Oct 18, 2011

x ...

S/l Intella Device - Inserted When Pt Had Cardiac Arrest
Oct 02, 2013

nm ...

I Get Dinged Because A Doctor Can't Speak
May 21, 2013

I mean seriously this catering to their stupidy is starting to get old. Granted they aren't major errors. But, my theory is if they cannot give me the courtesy of even remotely completing a sentence, much less a paragraph here lately, I am sending it through. I know I can look at the repository and figure most of the stuff out, but that is a guess at best and not a chance I am willing to take with patient care. Sick of it!!! Unfortunately, my main offenders are 100% QA accounts so QA f ...

I Was Dinged For Dividing A Run-on Sentence!
Apr 04, 2014

There was a long run-on sentence, so I made it 2 sentences. I got 25 points taken off because, and I quote, *it almost changes the meaning.* So, now you watch - I will get dinged for leaving run-on sentences! Can't win! ...

Correcting Redundant Grammar And Dinged By QA
Aug 09, 2013

Okay, I just started working here and I've been trying to keep my reports perfect.  When a doctor says "past medical history," I've been just typing "medical history" because isn't past and history together being redundant?  I'm still on 100% QA and all my feedback has the "past" put back in.  I'm not on a verbatim account, so shouldn't me correcting this be okay?   ...

So Tired Of Getting Dinged For Item That Was Pended
Feb 27, 2015

I have a very low pending rate.  I very rarely have to pend, but there was a discrepancy in the header so I pended it and explained that in the box.  I get a QC1 review (I know this doesn't count but it doesn't make it any less stupid!!) with a 1.0 major error for the very thing I pended it for.  This in no way makes sense.  I requested a reversal (Know it makes no difference, it's the irritation).  I put it in the comments and asked them to please explain ...

Uretheroscopy Procedure. S/o "pen-in-scope" Was Inserted Into The Bladder.
May 11, 2011

x ...

A "clean Key" 20-gauge Needle Was Inserted
Nov 10, 2010

I am new to surgery transcription, and on top of it, the doctor is an ESL.  I am assuming the "clean" part is correct, just can't get the second part.  Sounds like "key".  Thanks for any help.  The skin is marked and the skin is prepped with Betadine, then 1% lidocaine plain is injected into the subcu, then a "clean key" 20-gauge needle, with double tip was utilized. ...

A 24 "milocot" Was Inserted .. Cystoscopy Report
Feb 04, 2012

x ...

I Am Sick Of Getting Dinged For "illogical" Text.
Mar 27, 2014

Being that I have 30 years experience, have been here for about 8 years, and have never had bad audits but am now being failed and under performance management, I figure I am on their target list, and it is just a matter of time before I am out of here either by their hand or my hand (haven't landed the new job in the new career yet). So, I might as well go down with a good fight. I have been dinged for "illogical" text despite leaving the text as dictated. I had 1 that I am sure I w ...

Can You Believe I Just Got Dinged For "expanding" UTI Under Diagnoses?
Aug 06, 2012

Has the rules changed?  I always expand disease abbreviations under the diagnoses heading?  ...

Am I Missing Something?
Nov 20, 2011

I have been trying to get another job being an MT that is either FT or is PT to supplement my already PT job.  I have sent out way more resumes that I can count and only got one job offer.  This job offer was for 5 to 6 cpl.  I could have worked full time on this job, but I feel that an MT is worth more than what they were offering.  My questions are am I missing something?  Am I doing something wrong?  What else can I do?  It's just frustrating to finally ...

I Just Inserted A "standard"
Nov 08, 2010

It said ".75" percent marcaine (not 0.75 and marcaine was not capitalized), vicryl was not capitalized, and there was a "bridal" suture used --- I guess you can only have this procedure done on your honeymoon?  YET I FAILED AN AUDIT??????????????  ...

Missing Pay=No Work????
Jan 14, 2010

I am missing a little over  $100 from my paycheck from 2 weeks ago.  Nobody is answering my calls or replying to my emails.  I did get one email saying they were busy doing this weeks payroll, and they would look into after they were finished, but still nothing.  I am getting really upset about this.  It wasn't my whole check, but enough that the impact was felt (and is still being felt).  This also happened about a month ago, and it took it them several d ...

Futurenet, I Really Do Not Get It. What Am I Missing? Sm
Apr 02, 2010

I recently went back there part-time to supplement my day job after quitting because I got real tired of the highly fluctuating work flows.  My husband really pushed me to do this because we needed the extra money.  Once again, there is never any work for me to do, and yet they are hiring again?  Saying they need 2nd and 3rd shift?  That's what I do.  I'm not even going to bother trying to talk to them about it, because I already tried that and got nothing back ...

Missing Word
Jul 15, 2010

This is stated in the PAST MEDICAL HISTORY: (s/l sersa)  spinal stenosis surgery 3 years ago.   also dictated: Active range of motion of the left knee is approximately zero to100 degrees. Should translation be 0:100 or 0 to 100 or 0-100? Help please. ...

Missing HPs When Typing DSs?
Oct 02, 2010

Okay, I have had the suspicion that MQ programmed something when you bring up old reports when typing a discharge summary that the H&P doesn't show up.  Today, the dictator doing the DS plainly stated that she was reading right off the H&P.  I went to check in the old reports to maybe get some quick lines, but it wasn't there...as usual.  I typed what she said and realized that I had already typed this before and that I was the one that typed the original H&P ...

Word Missing
Mar 16, 2011

When you suspect that a word may have been omitted from dictation, do you make a note for this to be reviewed or do you think that is overstepping your bounds and basically saying the doctor made a mistake?  For instance, this ESL doc said "Bacterial endocarditis is not particularly recommended, but the patient has had Augmentin or amoxicillin and may be given a single dose.."  I suspect he forgot to say bacterial endocarditis "prophylaxis" is not particularly recommended...etc.  ...

Missing Keystrokes
Jan 13, 2012

I am a remote transcriptionist for a large hospital.  We recently went live with VR Nuance/escript.  Ever since go live I have had the continuing problem of typing a voice file and will lose a keystroke, have to backspace, sometimes hit the same key 3-5 times before it will show up on the screen, sometimes taking me an hour to 2 finger type a report.  This has been happening since the first day of go live.  IT, Nuance nor escript have any idea what is going on.  Has this ever happened to an ...

Missing Terms
Oct 03, 2012

Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. There is subluxation of the right thumb with limitation of motion include 4/5 apposition. There is considerable weakness of the right hand when compare to the left. There is decrease in the right radial reflex. The subluxation is probably secondary to the absence of ______ _____ of original fixation. Loose component, total joint replacement, right metacarpal joint. Hi, I want to say thanks for trying to help me. I am struggling to figure ...

Missing Meridian
Apr 04, 2013

100% American MTs at Meridian, tons of work, very accomodating.  BUYOUT three months equals no work, less American MTs, and today lay-offs....How sad.  ...

This Whole Missing Job Thing
Nov 22, 2014

Has anyone else checked it, because I did and every report was there. I really doubt they would be so stupid as to steal again. They are already doing it legally with ASR...Mmodal is a lot of things, but they pay on time and seem, at least, now to do it correctly... ...

Missing Emails
Dec 14, 2014

Has anybody ever had problems with emails disappearing? I had emailed a time off request as I had changed accounts/supervisors and could not do it in webclock. My emails are MIA and I sent several about the day I needed.  ...