A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Correcting redundant grammar and dinged by QA - Newbie

Posted: Aug 09, 2013

Okay, I just started working here and I've been trying to keep my reports perfect.  When a doctor says "past medical history," I've been just typing "medical history" because isn't past and history together being redundant?  I'm still on 100% QA and all my feedback has the "past" put back in.  I'm not on a verbatim account, so shouldn't me correcting this be okay?  

If I were doing QA on your work - SAM

[ In Reply To ..]
I'd get really frustrated putting the "past" back in and you continue to leave it out. Past medical history is a standard part of a medical report. IMO, you really should take the hint from you QA and keep the "past" in the heading.

I know this isn't.... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...what you want to hear, but, yes, "Past Medical History" is a very standard usage. If you believe that this is redundant language that needs to be edited, it would make me question how much experience you have as a medical transcriptionist....in the acute care setting, anyway.

Surely you've heard of "History of Present Illness," haven't you? That's using "history" and "present" together in the same heading.

The bottom line is that the word "history" in a medical context doesn't necessarily mean history in the same way we learned it in school, as in U.S. History.

HPI, disagree - SOSDD

[ In Reply To ..]
I have to disagree with your example of history of present illness as it is just as the heading implies, a history of the present illness (what has happened to lead up to this illness, its history)

I know my post wasn't very clear... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you that HPI is the history of what led up to the patient's current illness. What I meant is that in this context (History of Present Illness), it isn't exactly "history" as we sometimes think of it--things that happened in old or ancient times. It's more like the "story" of what's been happening with the patient's illness.

My intention was to point out that the OP's reasoning that "Past" and "History" were redundant might make one's head explode if you applied the same reasoning to the contrariness of "History" and "Present." (BTW, I'm just trying to be funny here.) :-)

Oh my... - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Your name says it all. Unfortunately, it doesn't even sound like you have any form of training to be qualified for this job. Just sayin....

Agreed. - heres a little tip since you are new

[ In Reply To ..]
you are paid to type verbatim, not to reconstruct sentences and ESPECIALLY not headings. If I were the dictator and found someone was leaving out some of words because they didn't like they way they sounded or looked I would be way past p.o.'d

my philosophy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Even if it isn't a verbatim account, I still treat it like one, not adding words or subtracting them, only to correct grammar, like dictates "there is 2 lesions" to "there are 2 lesions".

And along those same lines, if QA says to do something - one way, then you do it that way

[ In Reply To ..]
Quite frankly, unless it's just a truly egregious error, if my QA (who is very consistent) says to do something like "this" when I've always done it like "that", then I bloody well do it like "this." It's no skin off my nose and if that's what they want, they're the ones paying me, so that's what they get.

Period.

You just got hired and I have been here a - nada

[ In Reply To ..]
long time and have no work. Go figure.

No. Transcribe PAST MEDICAL HISTORY if that's what's dictated. - Des

[ In Reply To ..]
You're overthinking it and it's going to slow you down. Type what's dictated per client and employer specs. If you have a question about something that you want to change/correct, then ask. NEVER ASSUME IT'S OKAY TO MAKE CHANGES LIKE THAT, and if your boss is telling to do it a certain way, then DO IT THAT WAY.

Concur with the - above who say

[ In Reply To ..]
type it like you hear it. Learn early that this is one of those "choose your battles" moments. At this stage in my MT life, (30 plus years) frankly if they they want it typed backwards and say misspell every word, I really don't care anymore.

Also every "past" is 4 more characters for your piecemeal work. This is a common phrase and can add a few pennies to your check, pennies which you will come to appreciate.

Possible exception: I don't know if what you're typing is a "preferred heading" in Fluency or not, but I would say if it is and you want to mess with it, you are free to make that judgment call. This is probably more trouble than it's worth.

Why would you want to lose 5 characters? - 4 letters, 1 space

[ In Reply To ..]
I mean, my God, they are robbing us blind anyway, get all the characters in that you can.

pmh - pmh

[ In Reply To ..]
How could you have gotten thru MT school without learning that PMH is a commonly used and acceptable heading??? did you even go to MT school? I am seriously scratching my head over this one.

oh for pete's sake - ridiculous

[ In Reply To ..]
every doctor in America says past medical history and you're going to sit there and quibble over it, "no sir, doctor, past history is redundant." For pete's sake just get over yourself and type past medical history.

it's not grammar - it's usage - and you are overstepping

[ In Reply To ..]

Correcting redundant grammar and dinged by QA - Eyez

[ In Reply To ..]
Type it as dictated. It's an acceptable heading used in almost every medical report. If you start changing the headings then ASR learns from you and everyone else has to keep changing it back. Don't create more work for people.

what on earth, i think you are overthinking that one - mtr

[ In Reply To ..]
REALLY?
it is a wonder you ever get a line typed thinking in that manner

Grammar integrity FTW - Libellule

[ In Reply To ..]
Whether "past medical history" is redundant is a matter for debate. To the poster who suggested to always type everything word for word, I say be mindful and use your brain. The providers' words are not precious gold nuggets whose integrity needs to be protected at all costs. I always correct grammatical errors because I'm intelligent and educated, and I know, for example, the difference between "who" and "whom." There is a provider I transcribe who often says things such as "She has a friend who--make that, she has a friend WHOM..." I know that not to be correct. She may have a Ph.D., and I a mere B.A., but I know that "who" replaces the subject, not "whom." Dangling modifiers such as "Last week she reported that she went to.." should be avoided when clearly the context dictates that the correct form is "She reported that last week she went to..." Another provider consistently uses the word "subsequently," when clearly, based on context, she means "consequently." Consequently it is. I don't put my brain away in a drawer for the day while I'm working and act as though it's someone else's job to have good writing skills. Providers dictate commas to separate independent clauses (that's a no-no!. One poor, confused dear always says batty things such as "She is appearing (should be "She appears") her stated age. Stative verbs are not used in the present progressive. She often also says "She doesn't elicit any drugs." Utter nonsense. She means "she doesn't use any illicit drugs." Another provider constantly misuses the past perfect tense where the simple past tense is indicated. If you have a job that involves writing, you should know these things, or you have no business near a keyboard or pen.

Similar Messages:

Correcting Grammar
Feb 05, 2010

Do you correct the dictator's grammer? My 12 year old niece just recently corrected my mom when my mom said she was laying in bed.  Taylor went on to explain the difference between laying and lying.  I learned that in school but certainly had forgotten that rule. When the dictator says "The patient is laying in bed", do you correct it to lying?  Just curious.  I've had no complaints and I hate sending out dictation with grammatical errors.  ...

Redundant Emails??
Nov 20, 2014

Anybody else getting inundated with emails from the new TSA regarding a "reminder" about the pay period ending on Saturday? She sends them out almost daily!!! I'm trying to work and having to check my email and see that it is yet another email from her makes me want to pull out my hair! ...

Whatever Happened To The Redundant Marker?
Sep 05, 2010

xx ...

Redundant (s/l Todtotic) Mastectomy Flaps... See More.
Mar 07, 2011

Bilateral breast reconstruction revision due to redundan (s/ todd-totic) mastectomy plaps inferiorly... ...

Dinged If You Do
Jan 29, 2013

We have an account on 100% QA which is checked by MMEs.  No 2 grade alike.  If the doctor doesn't dictate "Laboratory Data" so you don't put it, you get a nasty note, "'Laboratory Data' should have been inserted here."  So the next report, you put in "Laboratory Data" and get a nasty note "He DID NOT dictate this header!"  Can't win with this dirtbag scum-sucking cluster*&^% of a company. ...

I Get Dinged Because A Doctor Can't Speak
May 21, 2013

I mean seriously this catering to their stupidy is starting to get old. Granted they aren't major errors. But, my theory is if they cannot give me the courtesy of even remotely completing a sentence, much less a paragraph here lately, I am sending it through. I know I can look at the repository and figure most of the stuff out, but that is a guess at best and not a chance I am willing to take with patient care. Sick of it!!! Unfortunately, my main offenders are 100% QA accounts so QA f ...

I Was Dinged For Dividing A Run-on Sentence!
Apr 04, 2014

There was a long run-on sentence, so I made it 2 sentences. I got 25 points taken off because, and I quote, *it almost changes the meaning.* So, now you watch - I will get dinged for leaving run-on sentences! Can't win! ...

If Everybody Has Been Correcting The
Mar 11, 2015

garbled mess ASR puts to Eliquis, for example, for a couple of years now & it still hasn't "learned" the term, I have doubts it's set to learn at all.... seriously.... ...

Dinged On Audit For D.O (said I Had Missing Period)
Jan 17, 2011

Yeah, welcome MQ for all the hard work I do and money I make you.  ...

Getting Dinged For Missing/inserted Words
Mar 05, 2014

There have been quite a few complaints lately about getting audits back where the auditors have inserted or taken away words such as: the, of, a/an, etc. The omission or insertion of these words when not dictated is something that should be captured as an error. However, the point value for such an error usually is zero. This type of error is usually a feedback and educational opportunity error. Because they have a value of zero, you could potentially have 20 of these errors and still have ...

So Tired Of Getting Dinged For Item That Was Pended
Feb 27, 2015

I have a very low pending rate.  I very rarely have to pend, but there was a discrepancy in the header so I pended it and explained that in the box.  I get a QC1 review (I know this doesn't count but it doesn't make it any less stupid!!) with a 1.0 major error for the very thing I pended it for.  This in no way makes sense.  I requested a reversal (Know it makes no difference, it's the irritation).  I put it in the comments and asked them to please explain ...

? About Spelling/correcting
Feb 21, 2010

Anyone ever had this happen? You spell something and you know it's right, plain and simple - however, the doctor corrects you on it, but its still wrong!! Do you spell it "wrong" -just for him only- to make him happy so he doesnt think you're not doing your job right or do you keep on spelling it "right", which he says is "wrong"?   ...

Correcting VR Question.
Jan 08, 2013

Does anybody happen to know if there's a best way to correct VR to hopefully have it actually "learn"?  For example, is it better to completely delete and reinsert the "respiratory" part in an error like "respiratory clear breath sounds" by using my expansion for the capped RESPIRATORY: heading, or would it supposedly learn better if I used case change and added the colon?  In other words, are corrections to existing text better or deletions/insertions instead? I don't ...

Correcting The Dictators
Jul 11, 2013

Just a small rant here.  WHY in the world do companies tell US, the MT to change this or that when the DOCTOR says it?  An example....VR work, hospital policy is dates in numeric, so doctor dictates June 22, VR types June 22, but we have to change this to 06/22.  Hospital says don't say patient names, but doctor dictates Mr. Smith, VR types Mr. Smith and WE have to change to "the patient".   I mean, wouldn't it be MUCH more simple to just TELL the doctors to say it ...

When Correcting The V-wreck
May 22, 2014

I can't help but think of my days and months of training and if I consistently put out work like I am correcting, I would have been fired in a New York minute!!!  Please don't post the normal you can get out, it's your fault for staying, blah, blah, blah.  I just wish someone would listen as to what a mess this is and the chances of mistakes getting through because there are so many corrections and words that are not even medical or consistent with the report.  Just ...

I Am So Sick Of Correcting > 50% Of MM ASR For 4 Cents.
Feb 17, 2013

. ...

I Feel Like I Am Correcting ILP Work.
May 12, 2015

MM ASR output looks just like ILP work. We really should be getting paid at least 2x to correct this junk. If they are indeed running ILP work through to "train" the program, send it to the ILP! ...

Correcting Spelling - Which Is More Time Efficient?
Nov 22, 2010

Fixing errors on the fly or letting them stay until you spellcheck the entire document?  If it's a they're/there/their type of error, obviously you have to fix it ASAP, but for the ones where your fingers just make a major flub that gets red lined, which do you find to be a better use of time?  I can't stand seeing all those red lines, so I almost always backspace and make the correction right away, but I'm wondering if that isn't more of a time waster than n ...

Correcting Typos - Opinions/survey - Sm
Feb 11, 2011

Just curious - do you all correct any typos AS you type or wait to do it/them at the end of the report?  I do mine as I type; just curious if others have a better way. Also, each day have a different word that won't "TYPE" out right that day - today is  STONE....this is coming out SEONT...dyslexic today.  But each day it's a different word that just won't behave.  Always interesting to see what my fingers will pick each day.  Anyone else have this h ...

Please, MME, Use Your Brain When Correcting/filling In Blanks.
Dec 18, 2012

There has to be a fine line between vertabatim and what is transcribed. :- Blanks are sometimes left for a reason, and anyone with the knowledge they should have to do QA should know when the value and/or unit of measurement is impossible. The measurement unit the doctor dictated, probably by mistake, was impossible. If that value was so, that duct would have been half the height of the patient. Although, the doctor was ESL, so he may not have known the difference anyway. At least I know ...

How Many Spend Considerable Time Correcting Demographic Errors?
Mar 21, 2013

I can't believe the number of errors entering the wrong demographics, apparently by the clients, that we have to research and clean up for zero pay! ...

Doctor States "surgery Under MAC Anesthesia." Is Anesthesia Redundant As MAC Is Monitored
Oct 17, 2009

x ...

I Am Sick Of Getting Dinged For "illogical" Text.
Mar 27, 2014

Being that I have 30 years experience, have been here for about 8 years, and have never had bad audits but am now being failed and under performance management, I figure I am on their target list, and it is just a matter of time before I am out of here either by their hand or my hand (haven't landed the new job in the new career yet). So, I might as well go down with a good fight. I have been dinged for "illogical" text despite leaving the text as dictated. I had 1 that I am sure I w ...

Grammar
Jan 13, 2010

Which is the correct way to write this... I have written a note to that affect/effect? Thanks! ...

Grammar ?
Apr 18, 2010

The soft tissue and the bowel lumen measures [would you change to measure] 8 cm in length and has [then change to have] a 6 x 3.5 cm margin of the colostomy deep to the subcutaneous tissue.     Or would you just leave this as dictated....... ...

Grammar Help??
Jul 15, 2010

Fluid analysis cytology was positive for adenocarcinoma. or is it  Fluid analysis: Cytology was positive for adenocarcinoma. or somthing different all together?? ...

Grammar Help Please!
Dec 15, 2010

How do you punctuate sentences that are said like this:  Very hopeless I have been made to feel. Would it require a comma after hopeless? I cannot recast the sentence. Any help appreciated. ...

Grammar Are/is
Jul 13, 2011

which is grammatically correct: No hematoma or ecchymosis are/is noted. ...

Grammar Help!
Nov 22, 2011

Hi all, I am a new MT and I have been having trouble identifying these 3 sentences as fragments or complete. The rules of sentence fragments and complete sentences are getting all jumbled in my head and I can't think straight anymore. I need some help. Are these 3 sentences fragments or complete: 1. Refer to previous chart notes. 2. Postoperative course uneventful. 3. Area was again thoroughly irrigated. Anybody out there who can identify for me. I any getting totally confused today. ...

Grammar Help, Please
Jul 04, 2012

In the sentence below, are there any commas or semicolons necessary or is it correct as shown?  Why (or why not) should there be punctuation before and/or following the word "however?"  I have been told that it is correct without any punctuation, but it looks odd to me: The patient is aware that he was to receive 4 consecutive weeks however opted not to.     ...