A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Boost question - anon

Posted: Nov 28, 2012

This is a measurement of the amount of audio that is replayed, keeping the highlighter and cursor together and moving smoothly throughout the report.  If you keep the highlighter and cursor moving steadily throughout the report with less stopping, then there is less audio that is replayed, allowing you to complete the job in less time. 

The above would work in an ideal world if one didn't have to do a lot of editing, would that be a correct statement?  I mean, if I have to make an edit, don't I have to "break" the cursor so I can position it to where I need to make the correction?  That'll never get to a frickin' 5!

See message about - - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
YOU QUOTED - **This is a measurement of the amount of audio that is replayed, keeping the *highlighter* and cursor together and moving smoothly throughout the report.**

If you do not use your highlighter to edit then of course you will have a low proficiency stat for that one.

I do not use the highlighter and never have. It slows me down so I have a "1" for proficiency statistics for minimizing replay, BUT YET, I have a "5" for editing during playback and a "5" for speeding up playback - Meaning that I am still moving through the reports smoothly, editing as I go along without much replay.

Point being, you dont have to use the highlighter to do that. I dont think they get it. Different people have different editing techniques. So I wouldn't sweat it.

I Failed That One - and...

[ In Reply To ..]
The one where they expect you to speed up the dictation while editing. Are they kidding? Speed it up while editing? I think I have 1 doctor I can do that with, out of the goodness knows how many I do. I edit much faster, actually, if I slow down the speed of the voice. That way, my foot pedal is lifted less often, and my inactive time is better.

However, you can't win here. So, anyway, I gave notice and am leaving MT.

Stats are 5 in all of them except the two with highlighter - usage.

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

I never use the highlighter, will never get past 1, and - I do not really care.

[ In Reply To ..]
I find it easier to just ignore the Boost emails. My production is excellent so that is all that really matters.

Before 7.1, I turned off the skip markers, highlighters and - everything - too much crap getting in the

[ In Reply To ..]
way of me trying to type and edit. I dont need all that fancy stuff on my screen; just give me the report and let me have at it.

I never used skip markers, redundant markers, highlighters and all that. I turned it all off.

What do you consider excellent production? I - need something

[ In Reply To ..]
to compare with. I am around 244 editing and want to "Boost" it up!

Excellent production for me is 383 lph on my - last report. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x
You are probably the one using Ctrl G and not editing! - no way you can do that if you edit properly
[ In Reply To ..]
IMPOSSIBLE...
I have no idea what Ctrl G even does, and my accuracy is - over 99%.
[ In Reply To ..]
Of course I edit properly. I am fast and accurate. It is not impossible.
What is ctrl G? - just wondering
[ In Reply To ..]
x
It attaches cursor to audio. Dont know how that translates - to not editing?? nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
I do that much on a regular basis - KD
[ In Reply To ..]
I consistently get in the 390s-400s for editing. It can be done, sorry to tell you.
KD - how do you keep yourself focused to do that much? - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I can do around 400 LPH but the mind numbing boredom inevitably sets in and I end up averaging closer to 280.

Any tips?
No distractions - KD
[ In Reply To ..]
I make sure I have no distractions and I am very good at editing on the fly while keeping the dictation going. My first job out of school was a proofreader which helps with reading ahead of the dictator and seeing changes that need to be done ahead of time. I have a 99% accuracy as well, and type 97 words a minute. I thought I would have trouble with SR but it really wasn't that difficult to adjust to for me.
typing 97 words per minute does not seem that - fast to me?
[ In Reply To ..]
nm
Really? I sometimes break 100 in online typing tests, - but usually score in the 90s.
[ In Reply To ..]
Why don't you go time yourself at like www.typingtest.com and come back and tell us how fast you type without an expander?

Back in the day, most secretarial-type jobs had a minimum requirement of 65 wpm, some 40 wpm. That was on typewriters, though. But I could zoom on a Selectric.
Not the poster who averages 383 lines per hour - But, have you thought about
[ In Reply To ..]
the fact that there are MTs out there who can straight type 300 lines per hour without a problem? I mean really?

I worked with a lady at the hospital that always averaged 300 lines per hour every pay period, no VR whatsoever, just straight typing.

So if the above poster is a fast typist and really good at editing, it is by all means possible for her to average 383 lines per hour.

So its not impossible to edit 383 lines per hour when you have women out there typing reports from scratch averaging 300 lines per hour...I mean really, what's 83 more lines?

Just saying.
The most I have ever done is 414 lines - yes, it is possible
[ In Reply To ..]
if the moon is in the right phase and all the planets line up. It was a few years ago when MC (remember him?) said we should be able to get 644 or 6xx lph and we were all trying to go as fast as we could to check. This was on an account that required almost no changes in the ASR, one of those dream accounts. We lost it shortly thereafter. Anyway, it is possible to do. Never say never
Thank you. I am the one who originally asked - what you consider
[ In Reply To ..]
excellent production. I admire you and you must stay very focused. We can all learn from you, that a high line count is possible with SR.
I have figured out - See message
[ In Reply To ..]
...that they care more about quantity than quality. I'm not saying the person with 383 LPH is turning out low-quality work. I'm just saying that I would be in a lot less trouble (mentoring for production) if I just produced sloppy work. I can't do this ASR junk on acute care, poor audio, dictators who back up over themselves, etc., etc. and still have a high line count.

When I was straight typing, 200 LPH was EASY.
Then why do we have to have 99% quality? - nm
[ In Reply To ..]
x
Because They Said So, and - ...the say that to the client-see msg
[ In Reply To ..]
It's just a threat. They are more likely to fire you for bad production. If everyone truly had to have 99% accuracy, nobody would be working there. It's almost impossible to have that many people do 99%. If your accuracy is bad, they just put you on on full QA, let you go, put you back on, threaten, etc.

They are much less forgiving of poor production and more likely to fire you.

Which is why I quit. Hah!
I will take your word on it since you speak from - experience
[ In Reply To ..]
and I wish you good luck in your new endeavors.
Even typing like the wind does not help much - when you have to enter
[ In Reply To ..]
several minutes of ADT information, searches, and tons of cc's on every report.

Depends on line rates. - I think...

[ In Reply To ..]
244 is good (I guess). I do splits and the first part of my shift I fly, getting anywhere from 600 to 800 lines in three hours.

I focus more on dollar amounts and try to maintain an average of at least $14 to $15 dollars an hour, sometimes more believe it or not (decent line rates).

The second part of my day I have a tendancy to slack more, but I can usually get back up to where I need to be within the last couple hours of my shift.

I would say I average anywhere from 200-300 lines per hour, but keeping in mind thats because I do shorter shifts and not an entire 8hr stretch. Working the split shift makes a world of difference for me, as I tend to have a short attention span some days.

here are my STATs - radmt

[ In Reply To ..]
although i really thinks this means.
Your Net/Keyboard Lines Per Hour (SR): 456.84

Average number of SR lines produced each hour, excluding inactive time.

Not Bad. You guys are some power houses. - nm
[ In Reply To ..]

No highligher for me - Reports too much of a mess-nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

Similar Messages:

Boost
May 17, 2012

I was wondering what happens when we start to run low on work.  Does Boost accommodate this in our scoring.  ...

How Can We Boost Production When ASR Is So Bad
Mar 19, 2012

How can we be productive when we spend more time reading profiles than actual time in a report.   Maybe stop the garbage, give is primary accounts, no more ASR, no more bouncing, no more counting mouse clicks, and give us a raise...   I will be more than productive, like I was in the old days. I used to produce 2000 lines a day. I cannot do that now in 2 days. ...

Boost...sorry Medquist
May 12, 2012

OK, it's nearly the end of my 2-week pay period.  I'm way past my minimum line requirements.  My primary account is low on work.  I'm going to clean my kitchen.  Watcha ya gonna do about that? ...

BOOST Initiative
May 30, 2012

Don't you love the long and drawn out explanation of the BOOST initiative.  They have a VR program which is frequently only 10% correct, misses entire phrases, creates entire sentences without one correct word and they want to boost our production by having us never remove our hands from the keyboard so we can all develop carpal tunnel at a faster rate.  What a bunch of geniuses! ...

BOOST Schmoost
Jun 19, 2012

Today's BOOST e-mail went too far.  Now they're monitoring mouse clicks, keyboard shortcuts and pedal time?  They can actually tell which keys we touch or don't touch? Folks, I'm pretty sure this BOOST program was our summer compensation adjustment...type faster... ...

Mentoring From Boost
Sep 28, 2012

Well, it finally happened.  I got the e-mail from Boost saying I had been chosen to be mentored.  I don't understand.  I ALWAYS get my line count and more.  I always type my hours.  I have had some good numbers on the Boost reports, one 5, one 3.5, but I have also gotten two 1s, as I do not speed the report up during the report, and I don't use the arrow keys to go to the beginning of the paragraph and such.  Can someone please tell me how the Boost mentor ...

Per Their Boost Garbage, Being
Nov 27, 2012

stalked & forced to keep our hands on the keyboard rather than what feels comfortable for us, now that I'm keeping my right hand on the Ctrl & arrow keys to make constant corrections throughout this ASR garbage, I am starting to have severe hand pain that I've never had before.  I wonder if this is carpal tunnel.  I would imagine their workers comp cases for carpal tunnel are growing by leaps and bounds with this horrible ASR program.  Seems like it would counter ...

Boost Liquid Nutrition
Feb 02, 2010

Boost liquid s/l impreme was provided. ...

Boost - According To Testimonial, A Bit Over $130 Pay Increase.
Jul 27, 2012

Boost didn't help me like that at all. In fact, it didn't make any difference at all in my production. Only learned tricks to keep my inactive time showing as less. Also, according to statistics given in the statistics report, I am producing about the same as most others - which is still minimum wage (in my state). Even the average production is barely above minimum wage (in my state). ...

Can We Opt Out Of This Idiotic Boost Garbage?
Dec 03, 2012

x ...

Minimum Wage Boost
Jun 22, 2014

Did you know that minimum wage will be raised from $8.00 to $9.00 next month, at least in California? So I wonder what that means for Nuance. Does that mean that the minimum line per hour will now be mmore than the current minimum of 186 lines/hour to meet minimum wage without having the company pay MUP or make-up pay? Or does that mean that they will give employees a raise and leave required lines at minimum of 186 lines? I wonder. ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

Inactive Time/BOOST Bull!
Jun 28, 2012

Ok, not sure if I'm the only one who had this initial perception of the mentoring program and the BOOST initiative, but it is my impression that during my mentoring session it was kind of IMPLIED that if our inactive time decreased our pay would go up...me thinking my daily pay for SR. Inserted in there ever so sneakily from my mentor is the fact that the inactive time has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on our daily production pay! A low inactive time only affects PTO, downtime, etc., pay which is ...

Is That Care Boost Quality Seminar
Jan 26, 2015

TSM says since I got under 99% this week to take this seminar.   What is funny is that a last week I got an email (bc I got 100% that week) saying how well I was doing and keep up the good work.  LOL.  Oops!.  I bet she wishes she didn't send that email!  Anyway, anyone do that Care Boost for Quality seminar and found that it helped at all?  Not sure it's going to....I am positive I will continue being all over the place in my post audits....100 ...

Computer Volume Control Boost. This May Help A Little
Apr 21, 2015

I have a Boostaroo and it muffles the audio when I turn it up on my headset.  Some of these dictators go back and forth in volume and I have caught several mistakes I made on deciding what I hear.   This simple Windows function might help some of you, I noticed a small difference right away. I am also looking into an app to download as I don't have room for a set of speakers up on my work area to plug headset into.   I am going to research more on this with  l ...

I've Decided I'm Not Going To Even Open The Boost Stat Emails
Jun 26, 2012

anymore.  What a morale killer, and they just tick me off.  I already know the shortcuts, but if I find it faster or less painful to mouse occasionally, then that's what I'm going to do.  As long as I'm meeting my quota, then please back off.  Jeez, I've never felt more smothered or stalked by a company. ...

Getting A Bit Sick Of The "BOOST" Program
May 16, 2012

I proofread EVERY report I send through,,,and I use my mouse to flip through it,,I know that takes a lot of time...Im about ready to say to heck with it and not proofread, my lines will go up and the inactive time will go down,,,unfortunately I care that my reports are done right....Fed up with this crap ...

What Exactly Is "Boost" And Should I Be Getting
Mar 14, 2012

even more paranoid than I already am?  ...