A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

BOOST Schmoost - On My Way Out

Posted: Jun 19, 2012

Today's BOOST e-mail went too far.  Now they're monitoring mouse clicks, keyboard shortcuts and pedal time?  They can actually tell which keys we touch or don't touch?

Folks, I'm pretty sure this BOOST program was our summer compensation adjustment...type faster...

I'm just not convinced - slave wages

[ In Reply To ..]
that key controls are always faster than using the mouse. They can count my clicks all day, I'm not going to quit using it.

Trying the keyboard - On My Way Out

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm trying to use the mouse less, but it's really hard to break a lifelong habit.

keyboard short cuts way faster - was a skeptic too

[ In Reply To ..]
When they kept cutting the ASR compensation I kept trying to make the same amount of money. I turned the speed up and that helped for awhile but then I was getting dinged on audits because I was missing words. So I tried to make expansions just a few every day for words I was typing a lot or even just ASR nonsense that kept coming through. At a van, got a normal for that. That helped a little because I wasn't typing so much. Finally I realized that the only way to make any money was to keep the pedal down and edit as it was going. I tried learning a few shortcuts every day. My goal was to only be on a report as long as it was in length, 2 minutes for a 2 minute report and so forth. The only way to do that was to use the keyboard shortcuts. While the doc is pausing I jump ahead and format lists or make headings, delete spelled words all the while using my keyboard shortcuts to move around, highlight and delete or insert headings. I make sure it takes me no more than 2 seconds to spellcheck and upload (alt-g for ignore and alt-c to change) ctrl-u for upload and enter enter to bring in the new report. I know using the mouse is a hard habit to break but if it comes at the reward of a bigger paycheck wouldn't it be worth it? Back before the mouse (on MT Shell and Medrite) all we used were keyboard short cuts. We all made more money back then too.

Good for you, WasSkeptic, and - very good advice. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Boost aka Attempt to Decrease Amount of Makeup Pay. - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Just gonna say it - Should not need makeup pay at all

[ In Reply To ..]
Perhaps if you are not even making minimum wage it is time to get out and find a different job. Many MTs are making above minimum wage, no we are not making what we used to, but we definitely are not getting supplemented from the company to bring us to minimum wage. 150 lph at straight ASR for a tier 2 or above will put you above minimum for most states. The average lph is 250 according to the statistics email and many are above that. If you are getting supplemented from the company to reach minimum wage then your line count is below the 150 anyway and what would the Boost program with tips and tricks hurt?

I Respectfully Disagree - On My Way Out

[ In Reply To ..]
150 lph at .03/line MME QA pay = 4.50/hr
150 lph at .055/line my SR pay = 8.24/hr
150 lph at .105/line my trans pay = 11.98/hr

I do most of my work at the 4.50-8.24/hr pay rate. That averages out to an average of $6.37 per hour. My states minimum wage is $7.25 per hour.

I can't give all the details here because I don't want to blow my cover, but I stay with MModal for now because I'm starting my own business and I get medical insurance and am able to work at home while starting the business. My income is supplemented so I can work for a company temporarily that disrespects me and treats me like a slave.

Seriously, I don't know how Vern sleeps at night. He's either got his head wedge up next to his prostate or he has no heart and no pride in the American worker.
You made my point - Need to do more than 150
[ In Reply To ..]
Let me just say that MME is a thankless position that Mmodal disguised as a promotion in order to stiff their best employees. That being said, my point was most MTs (don't know about MME) are doing 250 an hour or more, there is no way to make any money at just doing the bare minimum at 120 or 150. Mmodal knows that, that is why they started this Boost program, either to help employees Boost their income or Boost them out the door. They could also pay more per line which would help, but we all know that will never happen. Its up to us to make more lines.
I Just Can't Do It - On My Way Out
[ In Reply To ..]
I'm just not one who can make it in this field anymore. I have 32 years experience in the industry. I even owned my own MTSO for 12 years. I've worked for the biggest and best hospitals supervising the transcription department. I've worked for the big services in-house and "out-house". I've done it all. I just can't do it anymore.

I'm one of the under-achievers here. I don't have it in me to sit here and type my fingers to the bone so Vern can don his glasses and dark suit and ring Wall Street bells.

It's my attitude. Fortunately, I've been educating myself in the past few years so I have new options.

You people that are bragging about consistently typing $18.00 an hour, I feel bad for you guys because I know what it is that you are having to do to make that much money consistently and it makes me sad that you would be willing to do that. I won't sell myself like that. By December of this year at the latest this industry can kiss my *ss goodbye.
Willing to do what exactly? - Not me
[ In Reply To ..]
I make around $18. I'm an MME. My audits are consistently 99% to 100%. My work is used as examples. I also am on one of the worst accounts I have ever seen in 10 years. I never put quality on the back burner. There are just some who can adapt perfectly with the changes and some who can't cut it.
It's Like This... - On My Way Out
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are an MME and you make the same amount of money I do, then for $18.00 an hour you would have to:

1. QA 600 lph at .03/line - OR
2. SR 327 lph at .055/line - OR
3. Transcribe 171 lph at .105/line - OR
4. A combination of the above.

We all know that there is what...80-90% SR? So you're producing approximately 500 lines per hour consistently?

It's not a matter of whether or not all of us can "cut it". I chose a different path. I went back to school. Working at the poverty level enabled me to get my Associates degree. Then, it enabled me to get my Bachelors degree. Now I'm starting a business while I work on my Masters degree. Staying with MModal allows me to have medical insurance while I build my business and complete my Masters. I'll start my PhD in a year and a half.

Nope, you are right. I can't cut it anymore as an MME or an MT. I'm not made of the kind of stuff that will allow me to work the rest of my life producing 500 lines an hour to make $18.00 an hour. Less than minimum wage wasn't cutting it for me either.

I made $400.00 in one day last week doing a quick job for a friend, and it was a fun job, not a typing 500 lines an hour job. When that $400.00 a day is rolling in at a faster pace I'm outta there. So you see...we agree...
Curious... - rt
[ In Reply To ..]
Considering returning to college myself. For what did you get your degree and for what will you get your Master's and PhD? May I ask your age and your length of time in this industry? Questions are based on my similar situation and possibly for inspiration.
I'm Happy To Answer... - On My Way Out
[ In Reply To ..]
...most of your questions. I have to be somewhat vague because it would reveal my identity if I weren't as a lot of people at MModal are aware of what I'm doing.

I started college at 50. I'll complete my PhD at 59. It's in a highly technical field, if you get my drift. I work full-time for MModal as an MME. I go to school full-time, and I'm starting a business on the side.

I started my medical transcription career in 1981 when I was 23 years old. I owned a transcription company and sold it to a larger company - not MedQuist - in the 90's and went to work for Your Office Genie.

My Associates degree is in Communications. My Masters is in the same "technical field". My PhD will be organizational leadership in that field and research.

In the fall of 2014 I be working as a professor for a University that has made me an offer. I will be eligible to teach English, Computer Science, several programming languages, Project Management, and a number of other classes. It's possible I will do that sooner.

If you have the opportunity to go to school you should take it. It opens up so many doors. I work for M*Modal now because it enables me to have some money while I start my new company. I'm single and have only my income. I live with my daughter in her home.

The offers are starting to roll in now. It's just a matter of months for me now...or even weeks.

M*Modal is a great backup plan while you're on the journey, but it should not be a destination.
On my way out: Good for you !!! I agree - with everything you SM
[ In Reply To ..]
said. I just cringe when I hear "you can't cut it". Really? We should encourage each other, be happy for those of us who have made different choices for whatever reason. I've been doing this for decades and it used to be a very rewarding career. I didn't have to kill myself to make a liveable wage and I took pride in my work. This has been my "career" for many years, but it has become almost like an assembly line job where you can't stop to take a breath if you want to make more than minimum wage. Disgraceful. My time is almost up and I am grateful that I not of the age to think this is an acceptable way for an educated experienced individual in the work force to earn an income. Putting all those numbers out there may look okay on paper, but it completely discounts all the variables in this work and especially discounts the fact that we are human beings, not computers just racking up lines second by second, minute by minute, hour by hour, not taking into account that we, as human beings, must take the time to even breathe.
I don't mean to be unkind to those who "can't cut it," but - this field could not pay minimum wage
[ In Reply To ..]
without them. Their willingness to work for that money drags incomes down--way down--below normal wage levels for people who are suited to this work.

That's one. Two is that encouraging literate people to continue working at or near minimum wage is doing them an extreme disservice.
Many just work the system - totally agree
[ In Reply To ..]
I know in some states where the minimum is higher (California for example) some MTs were logging in for their shift, doing the absolute minimum lines required WHILE working their IC job or another part-time job. So they got their income from their part-time job plus minimum wage from Medquist. Then they complained when they got busted for cheating and fraud.

There is no reason this company even has to pay any sort of minimum wage or makeup pay. The company needs to performance manage those don't want to cut it and mentor the ones who can't cut it right now, but with some help just might.
I recently had a payperiod where I did... - On My Way Out
[ In Reply To ..]
6500 lines in a payperiod and made $500. The next payperiod I did 19,000 lines and my paycheck was $600. I still have the pay stubs to prove it. What do you say. Does doing more have a pay-off? It's not a matter of whether or not you CAN cut it. It's a matter of whether or not you WANT to cut it.
I adapt to change just fine....I on the other hand - CarrieAnn
[ In Reply To ..]
will not work like a slave to produce $18 an hour. It is crazy. Maybe I am on an account that needs way more edits, but no matter how fast I move, I am not making $18 an hour and producing high quality documents. Sorry, but with all the articles out there on VR, if you are making great money at it quality is lost. It is just that simple.
it has more to do with feeling cheated! - Corinne
[ In Reply To ..]
Just think if you are making $18 an hour doing VR, it would be double if you were doing ST. That is the fact I am having a hard time getting over. My pay used to be doubled and now it is half! I am having a hard time getting over that fact, so I gave it some time and just think I am on the way out. With running out of work and working on 15 accounts, it is impossible to make great money and if I am making good money, it would be doubled if they paid me properly. Like I said I just have a sour taste in my mouth about the whole thing.
Please remember this... American Vern does not own company - Indian Kumar does!
[ In Reply To ..]
That is why this company shows no pride in the American worker...

They are being ridiculous. If the ASR is in good - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
condition, then a mouse is faster than the keyboard, but if it's in horrible condition, then keyboard shortcuts are faster. Obviously they're assuming all their ASR reports are in horrible condition... Why can't they let us figure out what works best for OURSELVES since we are all different rather than wasting money paying someone for this intrusive mess? They constant keyboarding with no breaks is a nightmare for someone with carpal tunnel. As long as our quality is good & we meet our quota, then for God's sake, leave us alone. This is micromanaging at its absolute worst & most intrusive.

I worked in a 5-doctor clinic for awhile... - On My Way Out

[ In Reply To ..]
...and the office manager constantly harped on me about never touching the mouse. She would hover and watch me type to make sure I was using the keyboard because her friend told her that was faster. She would look at me all disapprovingly and gripe if my fingers left the keyboard. That's just crazy. She was not an MT and hardly even used a computer.

It's those who are not MTs who try to make us conform to dumb stuff.

What Boost email? - Huh?

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't get a Boost email. Anyone care to elaborate on what it said?

Similar Messages:

Boost
May 17, 2012

I was wondering what happens when we start to run low on work.  Does Boost accommodate this in our scoring.  ...

How Can We Boost Production When ASR Is So Bad
Mar 19, 2012

How can we be productive when we spend more time reading profiles than actual time in a report.   Maybe stop the garbage, give is primary accounts, no more ASR, no more bouncing, no more counting mouse clicks, and give us a raise...   I will be more than productive, like I was in the old days. I used to produce 2000 lines a day. I cannot do that now in 2 days. ...

Boost...sorry Medquist
May 12, 2012

OK, it's nearly the end of my 2-week pay period.  I'm way past my minimum line requirements.  My primary account is low on work.  I'm going to clean my kitchen.  Watcha ya gonna do about that? ...

BOOST Initiative
May 30, 2012

Don't you love the long and drawn out explanation of the BOOST initiative.  They have a VR program which is frequently only 10% correct, misses entire phrases, creates entire sentences without one correct word and they want to boost our production by having us never remove our hands from the keyboard so we can all develop carpal tunnel at a faster rate.  What a bunch of geniuses! ...

Mentoring From Boost
Sep 28, 2012

Well, it finally happened.  I got the e-mail from Boost saying I had been chosen to be mentored.  I don't understand.  I ALWAYS get my line count and more.  I always type my hours.  I have had some good numbers on the Boost reports, one 5, one 3.5, but I have also gotten two 1s, as I do not speed the report up during the report, and I don't use the arrow keys to go to the beginning of the paragraph and such.  Can someone please tell me how the Boost mentor ...

Per Their Boost Garbage, Being
Nov 27, 2012

stalked & forced to keep our hands on the keyboard rather than what feels comfortable for us, now that I'm keeping my right hand on the Ctrl & arrow keys to make constant corrections throughout this ASR garbage, I am starting to have severe hand pain that I've never had before.  I wonder if this is carpal tunnel.  I would imagine their workers comp cases for carpal tunnel are growing by leaps and bounds with this horrible ASR program.  Seems like it would counter ...

Boost Question
Nov 28, 2012

This is a measurement of the amount of audio that is replayed, keeping the highlighter and cursor together and moving smoothly throughout the report.  If you keep the highlighter and cursor moving steadily throughout the report with less stopping, then there is less audio that is replayed, allowing you to complete the job in less time.    The above would work in an ideal world if one didn't have to do a lot of editing, would that be a correct statement?  I mean, if I h ...

Boost Liquid Nutrition
Feb 02, 2010

Boost liquid s/l impreme was provided. ...

Boost - According To Testimonial, A Bit Over $130 Pay Increase.
Jul 27, 2012

Boost didn't help me like that at all. In fact, it didn't make any difference at all in my production. Only learned tricks to keep my inactive time showing as less. Also, according to statistics given in the statistics report, I am producing about the same as most others - which is still minimum wage (in my state). Even the average production is barely above minimum wage (in my state). ...

Can We Opt Out Of This Idiotic Boost Garbage?
Dec 03, 2012

x ...

Minimum Wage Boost
Jun 22, 2014

Did you know that minimum wage will be raised from $8.00 to $9.00 next month, at least in California? So I wonder what that means for Nuance. Does that mean that the minimum line per hour will now be mmore than the current minimum of 186 lines/hour to meet minimum wage without having the company pay MUP or make-up pay? Or does that mean that they will give employees a raise and leave required lines at minimum of 186 lines? I wonder. ...

Okay, Sistas. Lets Talk About BOOST.
May 10, 2012

inactive time, right?  "Inactive time is defined as length of time when neither audio is played nor keystrokes clicked in an open job" as per the email.  SOOOOOO, why dont we all just keep the audio running as we research, go to the bathroom, etc.  Just make a note of where you are in the audio, go do your thing, come back and finish up.  What would MM think of NONE of us had any inactive time anymore, lol. ...

Inactive Time/BOOST Bull!
Jun 28, 2012

Ok, not sure if I'm the only one who had this initial perception of the mentoring program and the BOOST initiative, but it is my impression that during my mentoring session it was kind of IMPLIED that if our inactive time decreased our pay would go up...me thinking my daily pay for SR. Inserted in there ever so sneakily from my mentor is the fact that the inactive time has NO BEARING WHATSOEVER on our daily production pay! A low inactive time only affects PTO, downtime, etc., pay which is ...

Is That Care Boost Quality Seminar
Jan 26, 2015

TSM says since I got under 99% this week to take this seminar.   What is funny is that a last week I got an email (bc I got 100% that week) saying how well I was doing and keep up the good work.  LOL.  Oops!.  I bet she wishes she didn't send that email!  Anyway, anyone do that Care Boost for Quality seminar and found that it helped at all?  Not sure it's going to....I am positive I will continue being all over the place in my post audits....100 ...

Computer Volume Control Boost. This May Help A Little
Apr 21, 2015

I have a Boostaroo and it muffles the audio when I turn it up on my headset.  Some of these dictators go back and forth in volume and I have caught several mistakes I made on deciding what I hear.   This simple Windows function might help some of you, I noticed a small difference right away. I am also looking into an app to download as I don't have room for a set of speakers up on my work area to plug headset into.   I am going to research more on this with  l ...

I've Decided I'm Not Going To Even Open The Boost Stat Emails
Jun 26, 2012

anymore.  What a morale killer, and they just tick me off.  I already know the shortcuts, but if I find it faster or less painful to mouse occasionally, then that's what I'm going to do.  As long as I'm meeting my quota, then please back off.  Jeez, I've never felt more smothered or stalked by a company. ...

Getting A Bit Sick Of The "BOOST" Program
May 16, 2012

I proofread EVERY report I send through,,,and I use my mouse to flip through it,,I know that takes a lot of time...Im about ready to say to heck with it and not proofread, my lines will go up and the inactive time will go down,,,unfortunately I care that my reports are done right....Fed up with this crap ...

What Exactly Is "Boost" And Should I Be Getting
Mar 14, 2012

even more paranoid than I already am?  ...