A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Biggest pet peeve -- let's hear it! - anonymous

Posted: Oct 12, 2010

Mine is chewing of any sort -- food, gum, etc.  They can't be so busy that they have to dictate while smacking. 

Female dictators who talk in teeny, tiny, little - girl voices!

[ In Reply To ..]
They lack so much authority not to mention they are so breathy and hard to hear! How annoying!

I second that!!! - breathe helium, then dictate

[ In Reply To ..]
I absolutely cannot stand those high-pitched, whining female dictators.

I would rather listen to a dictator burping, chewing in my ear, carrying on a conversation, driving in his car, or making love to the microphone!

It is like nails on a chalkboard!!!!

Can't believe you said that! - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I just posted and then went back to the board and saw your post where you also mentioned HELIUM. Now that's funny! I used to tell my friends about the helium voices!!
great minds think alike - breathe helium, then dictate
[ In Reply To ..]
:)
I answered you out loud! - FormerMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I read your reply and was laughing and said out loud in a high-pitched helium voice "You got that right!"

YES! - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
That brings back memories of those little alien/helium filled voices that used to drive me wild. They literally sounded like they were about 6 years old!

Flirting while dictating -- so unprofessional - sick and tired

[ In Reply To ..]
no message

Yes all the laughing... drives me crazy. - ang

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Super Spelling - N as in Nancy, T as in Tom . . . - dumbdumb

[ In Reply To ..]

Hard to believe, but true - FormerMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Some years back I had to call my manager and she had to call the hospital about a resident in Podiatry, who literally (THIS IS TRUE) was spelling every single word ... foot, general anesthesia (each letter), patient, etc. We all know how long podiatric dictation can be, especially when they do the same procedure on several toes and then redictate the entire procedure from the beginning for each. I literally was ready to pull my hair out. Finally it stopped. Obviously, she did it with her name, and the name of the patient and her attending as well.

S as in school . . . did they go? - mt

[ In Reply To ..]
Dr. Speller is the only type I want to crawl through the line to strangle. I can put up with everything else, but this makes me want to SCREAM! Bigger than this by a tiny bit is Dr. Misspeller - if you are going to insult me by spelling t-h-e, then have the courtesy to actually know how to spell the drugs and instruments you insist on spelling at me. Grrrrr....

Syllable clippers. - Drive me nuts.

[ In Reply To ..]
They either cut off half the word or hit the pause button every 2 seconds and cut themselves off and you can't hear the entire word!

pet peeve - nan

[ In Reply To ..]
Sucking snot! YUK!

Also, dictating, talking to someone else, then starting the dictation over again. Drives me nuts!

BIGEST PET PEEVE - Nature

[ In Reply To ..]
Dictator that says "I mean" after a very long sentence. I had a 17 minute report yesterday. There was not 1 sentence that did not need fixing, and she must have said "I mean" 100 times during the report. Should have been a fabulous line count, but was only half of what it should have been. She about drove me nuts (which is not hard to do at this point in my life).

slurping, slobbering - Ang

[ In Reply To ..]
Ditto on the chewing, smacking. If I were talking to a person face to face and they were slurping in a disgusting way, I would tell them I had to leave. Beyond belief that they do this with the microphone up to their faces. I sometimes feel nauseated if I have to hear this. Is unacceptable.

sniffing, snorting, blowing nose - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
I remember one dictator that had a bad cold or allergies and every other word would sniff. I kept thinking to myself, in this huge hospital do they not have any Kleenex? By the end of the huge report I was sick and wanted to reach through the phone line and yell at them to blow their freaking nose!

I know they can't help it, but -- the sttttuuuutteerrrs - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Just finished one. I feel like I was typing with a strobe like flashing.

mine is loud noise, sm - flcmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I've had MDs dictating from what sounds like the MRI suite...and I don't do radiology. Nothing like loud noise and a whispering dictator to make your night. NOT

yep the ones oblivious to noises around them - NJA Queen

[ In Reply To ..]
The ones dictating while the cleaning lady is vacuuming their office or the IV bag needs changing- beep, beep, beep-hey can someone change this IV bag, beep, beep, beep.

Quiet, whispering dictators - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
In addition to these ladies who whisper while the beep is going in the hospital emergency room, I had one lady tonight who says "the labs are...um..., and the assessment is ...um.... This is one female dictator who is going to give me a big headache. Hers are straight transcription because the SR engine can't understand her. Every 2 words, it's ...um...um

Quiet, whispering, mumbling dictators - BH

[ In Reply To ..]
I just posted that I could not hear the quiet dictators. Well, I just went out and bought some noise canceling headphones, and they really make a difference. It changed a mumbly person to somebody who talked clear, like she was sitting at a table with me. I listened to the same report I just handed in with 6 blanks, and I could hear and understand everything she said except 2 words. Also, the headphones envelope my ears, not like the wishbone type that Spheris provided me. They do blot out noises like other people talking on the phone in my house.

Unintelligible doctor name, then unintelligible - spelling of same

[ In Reply To ..]
Sometimes all I can hear is "z" or one sound. Believe it or not, I usually find them, but it takes a while and is time wasted that could be prevented if they could either slow down and speak it clearly or SPELL it clearly - one or the other.

The ones that make up words. - I begin to wonder if

[ In Reply To ..]
they actually went to school at all or if they think they sound BRILLIANT when they say words that don't actually exist.

Sometimes it's obvious what they are trying to say, but sometimes, I have to really try to figure out what the heck they are trying to convey with their verbal vomit.

Similar Messages:

My Biggest Peeve
Nov 18, 2009

More than anything, I hate it when they're eating and dictating.  I can't verbalize how upset this makes me.  I'm not asking the dictator to kiss my rear end, but right now I've got an ESL with an incomprehensible accent chomping and chewing in my ear.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ...

My Biggest Pet Peeve
Feb 24, 2015

has got to be doctors burping in my ears, so gross! ...

My Biggest QA Peeve Today Is...
Sep 20, 2012

Unless the CP states otherwise... When the doctor dictates "Dr. Smith," don't pull in his full name with credentials from the database, just type "Dr. Smith." Example: Dictated: " I called Dr. Smith to the ER. " Type: I called Dr. Smith to the ER. NOT: I called Emmett J. Smith, MD, to the ER. If the doctor does dictate a full name or for some other reason you do pull the name in from the database, remember to put a comma after the credentials if it is in the middle of the sentence. ...

Finally Hit My Biggest Low With MM
Jul 12, 2013

My paycheck today was a whopping $137.00.....Not even enough to cover my car payment!  Thank GOD for partial unemployment or I wouldn't have been able to make it this far (by the way, if you haven't heard they are about to take THAT away from me too - NC Becomes The First State To Eliminate Unemployment Benefits - http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/north-carolina-becomes-first-state-to-eliminate-unemployment-benefits.php ).  I also had the smarts to get a part time job. ...

Does Anyone Know Who The Next Biggest Few Companies Are After MM And Nuance?
Sep 02, 2012

I have watched all the mergers and acquisitions over the last few years, and I every company I go to work for sells to one of them. Who is left that is still pretty big? Part of it is just my being curious. I used to know who the biggest 10 companies were, now I have no idea. Does anyone else know? ...

My Biggest Complaint Is That Every Time I Get
May 16, 2014

a long report (which happens too often), my screen freezes.  ...

Has Anyone Seen Final Results From Transcend Biggest Loser Contest
Sep 12, 2010

that was promised for 08/28/2010?    This was by far the most unfair contest yet.  It was spread over all platforms, all work types, and there is no way someone on BeyondBelief can compete in production with someone on Escription.  I hope they think future contests out a little bit better so everyone can have a chance to win rather than just the chosen few.  ...

Christmas Carol For MT's - :Do You Hear What I Hear?" Nm
Nov 29, 2009

nm ...

Pet Peeve..
Aug 07, 2012

Just venting.. why does the dictator feel the need to state, "Briefly..." in every one of her reports, as she starts dictating an almost 30-minute report? Just annoys me! ...

Peeve
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry, I just have to vent. This PhD I type evals for uses the phrase, "The form indicates...."  The form is filled out by the parents.  It would seem to me that the PARENTS indicate -- as the form is an inanimate object and cannot "indicate" anything.  OK, getting off my soap box and back to work.  P.S. She also ends many sentences in prepositions. ...

My Pet Peeve
Jan 26, 2013

It is beginning to drive me CRAZY that these companies never feel like they owe us any explanation whatsoever when we run out of work.  On my job, I will have full lines maybe three days and then the fourth day not one drop of work.  Sometimes, I will email my supervisor to ask her and don't get a response back.  I cannot understand why anyone would feel that we should go to work, not have a single thing to do, and we deserve zero communication as to why! Back when I first s ...

New Pet Peeve
Sep 10, 2014

Dictate on your phone and leave it on buzz so I can decipher through that.. ...

Pet Dictation Peeve
May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?! ...

Small Pet Peeve
Aug 16, 2010

After struggling with names like Siobhan, Ahleksi (concocted to prove a point), and Yvan, I am so happy to have a "normal name" such as what sounds like "John Carter." Whew! Finally! A no-brainer! But I start to look it up-- no such thing in the data base. Well! It just happens to be "John Carter" spelled "Gionn Kharter." This is just a not-real-life illustration. But isn't it irritating when you finally get a regular-sounding name and it's not so regular, and the d ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...

Posting Pet Peeve
Nov 05, 2010

I have a POSTER pet peeve.  When a comment or question is posted about a specific company, why is the original poster likely to never elaborate?  Why are they wasting everyone’s time? What is up with these hit-and-run posts?   Someone makes an outrageous comment or asks a question implying something negative.  Then when you answer and either ask for more information or ask the original poster a question, the original poster is long gone – never to be heard ...

VENTING - PET PEEVE
Jul 18, 2012

I just have to vent.....the thing that I cannot stand most about this job - even more than the pay, the lack of work, etc....is when the dictator CHEWS GUM when he/she is dictating.  The sound of someone smacking their gum, whether in person or on the phone, makes me CRAZY.  I am positive they do not do this in front of patients or other doctors...but since we aren't 'real people' to them...they just smack away.  I can barely get through the report.  OK.  ...

My Present Pet Peeve
Oct 09, 2012

We dont get paid for ADT information,,YET I got back a report I sent through QA and it said I have to fix all the ADT information with ? next to the docs, that is like every report..what the heck? ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Dear Employer: Today's Pet Peeve
Nov 13, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for more than 25 years, have worked for 7 different employers, and every one of them has always said that it is required for everyone to work one weekend day, you either work sunday through thursday or tuesday through saturday.  Then I see an email to all employees that says, "please consider changing your schedule to work a weekend day."  WTF?  There are people not already working a weekend day?  That makes me feel pretty stupid for all the ...

Pet Peeve. Docs Who Use "in Lieu Of" Incorrectly
Jun 09, 2011

Does anyone else run across this?  I work on a verbatim account and a few of the doctors say "in lieu of" when they clearly mean "in light of."  I've flagged these before, but QA has always left them as is.  It gets on my nerves. ...

Anybody Hear From Their New RTL?
Jan 12, 2010

Haven't heard a word about this since they were asking people to apply in Dec. Supposedly 12 were hired for nights and weekend shifts. Wonder if they found 12 willing to chance another new created MQ position. ...

Would Like To Hear From TLs Or QA
Feb 16, 2010

I would like to know what you see as the pros and cons of your job, esp if you work for one of the larger nationals and, if possible, maybe some idea of what pay range in addition to being an MT one might expect to be offered (or fair), ie, x-amount more per line or hour... thank you v. much for any input. ...

Anybody Ever Hear Of This ...
Mar 16, 2010

I'm doing a cardiology report and the doctor is referring to what sounds like a "2 10 pen cath."  Any idea what he's trying to say.  ...

Anyone Ever Hear Of This?
Apr 27, 2010

Company wants me to sign HIPAA Business Associate Agreement and send to them along with my resume prior to testing.  Has anyone else had to do this? ...

Seriously, Does Anybody NOT Hear
Sep 07, 2011

Ours barely, barely, barely ever sends out an e-mail anymore and our QC only sends out about 1 e-mail a week.  Answer phone calls? Forget about it.  Just wondered if this is SOP. ...

I Cannot Hear With All These
Sep 28, 2011

SHRILL, GIGGLING, LOUD NURSES AND/OR SUPPORT STAFF in the background.  I'd like to reach thru the phone and b/slap all of them!!!!! I don't see how patients ever get any rest/recuperation!!! ...

Fed Up And No Win....I Hear Ya.
May 29, 2012

I know where you are coming from.  I posted on here a couple of weeks ago that my husband passed away and I did not even get a "kiss my foot" from this company.  No card, no email...no anything AND my post was jerked off here in a heartbeat.  My CCM knew about it and another friend that works there as well.  I am so disappointed in this company... ...

What I Hear...
Feb 24, 2014

What I hear is, Nuance is hiring a lot of newbies... great! give them a chance BUT... are they being paid the same as the veterans?  Anybody know? ...

ICs Want To Hear From You
May 30, 2014

I recently took a job as an IC, thinking it would be great to make my own schedule. HOWEVER, I have to work when the work is there. There is no making my own schedule. The work flow dictates when I work. There is no work on Monday or Tuesday. Maybe a few reports trickle in late Tues, but then more work comes late Wednesday afternoon, then work Thurs, Fri, Sat, and by Sunday no work again. Account is for clinic docs, no acute care. Is this the same experience you other ICs are having. I&# ...