A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Finally hit my biggest low with MM - NCMT

Posted: Jul 12, 2013

My paycheck today was a whopping $137.00.....Not even enough to cover my car payment! 

Thank GOD for partial unemployment or I wouldn't have been able to make it this far (by the way, if you haven't heard they are about to take THAT away from me too - NC Becomes The First State To Eliminate Unemployment Benefits - http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/north-carolina-becomes-first-state-to-eliminate-unemployment-benefits.php ). 

I also had the smarts to get a part time job.  I'm taking my buttocks back to school.  The heck with this crap.  So tired of scratching for work, scratching for pennies!  The only thing keepig me is the benefits, which I fear they will take away from me soon because I haven't worked 40 hours in months!!!!

Thanks for letting me vent!  You should have seen me scramble to get to the bank to deposit $8.00 so my car payment wouldn't bounce and I wouldn't incur a $36.00 NSF fee!  My life is a dang comedy! 

Hope your days are better than mine! 

(((HUG)))

Wow - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
My daughter makes more than that working a few days a week at McDonalds! How pitiful things have become in a once good paying job!

I bounced a - check

[ In Reply To ..]
this week too. First time I have done that since I was about 20 yo (now 60 yo). I just hope I can hang on 2 more years, but not sure. Now I just work as fast as I can to get as many lines as possible and let the chips fall where they may since I have been "failing" audits right and left. Now I'm failing for not having commas where someone thinks they should be. I figure it's better to be broke and not work than to put up with this and STILL be broke. Sickening.

Wow - Kathy

[ In Reply To ..]
You are so right. Some of these companies should be ashamed of themselves what they are doing to the IC's.. It is either feast or famine.

it's unethical for them to keep us on - and yet they do

[ In Reply To ..]
They know the work has gone to India and that it is not coming back, and yet they will not do the right thing and lay us off. It doesn't hurt them at all to keep us hanging around, and they hope we'll just get the message and leave. They need to man up and just lay us off.

They are going to get rid of us because we aren't "good enough" - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
They're raising the production and accuracy demands to unreasonable levels so they can get rid of most American workers and tell the hospitals that they cannot find any Americans to do the work, they have no choice but to send it all to India.

That's why they're treating us as they do. I've posted this before, and I'm amazed that nobody sees it.
Not "good enough" - Why in the world if...
[ In Reply To ..]
people feel they are being treated so badly and only bringing home $137 dollar pay checks would anyone stick with a job like that? certainly you can find something that will pay you more than what some of you say you make. You can do better than that with a paper route.

Since when have they been ethical? - the list goes on

[ In Reply To ..]
Overcharging customers, underpaying employees, different quality and line count minimum standards for ILP, etc. If you are looking for a company that actually has integrity this one is not it, no matter how many times they change their name or rotate in new executives.

That being said you still need to take charge of your situation. If that means file partial unemployment, acquire new skills, get a different job or badger your TSM until you get new accounts then you need to do it. Why are you giving them all the power waiting for them to lay you off?
the full UE - thats why
[ In Reply To ..]
The full UE and the help from TAA. That's why I am waiting.

My son makes more at the theater and he - and friends get FREE MOVIES

[ In Reply To ..]
This job beyond sucks!

question - jen

[ In Reply To ..]
If you don't mind my asking, how does partial unemployment work? I just got laid off at the hospital and will be drawing unemployment. I was wondering if I would be able to get some part-time work and not affect the UE. How does it work? Thanks and good luck to you. It's comforting to know we are all in the same boat! (that pitiful sinking boat!!)

Unemployment benefits...sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm not the OP, and I have limited knowledge of UE since I haven't had to draw in many many years. I think that if you are drawing full unemployment (not working at all) and you go back to work, it either reduces the benefit amount or takes it away altogether depending on how much money you make once you go back to work. I know nothing about partial unemployment, but I would assume it works similarly. Contact the Department of Labor for your state. You can probably find some answers to your questions online for your state DOL too.

Thank God that I haven't had to file for UE, either partial or full benefits...yet....

You should get a letter from unemployment office and - Me

[ In Reply To ..]
it is also available online through your state's unemployment website. It tells you how much your benefit is and how much money you can make befor benefits will be reduced. My total benefit is $343. I can make $63 and still receive full benefit. Anything I make over that $63 reduces my benefit, so if I make $100 my benefit is reduced by $37.

So sorry for you. My check was $300 and I thought that was bad - nme

[ In Reply To ..]
Im only part time though so can't feel too bad I guess. Out of work again today. If it wasn't for u/e, I would be a creek.

This sucks. My check was $303. What companies - fail to realize is

[ In Reply To ..]
that they have an obligation to us to keep us working and making money when they hire us. Should be illegal to pay us only for lines typed when they dont have enough work available for us to make minimum wage.

Hope - Mt

[ In Reply To ..]
I hope you arent full time with pays that low.

I get around 320 a month! - For the last 3 months.

[ In Reply To ..]
But I have a part time job working in the clinic and get $18.00 an hour.

I'm the OP, and thanks for all the comments - NCMT

[ In Reply To ..]
First of all, I do get partial unemployment, I did get a part time job, and I am reinventing myself....I stated that. This is to the poster who made those suggestions and suggested I stop waiting for them to lay me off. I know that's not gonna happen.

Second, for the poster who wanted clarification on partial unemployment, I was told by a co-worker a long time ago to do it, but I didn't, and I should have. When I did finally file, it was easy. I simply filed a claim, and then got the paparwork in the mail that I was eligible and started putting in weekly claims. Basically, what I make is deducted from the total benefit I am eligible for. I almost didn't want to get a part time job, because that of course has to be reported also and it takes away from my beenfit, but I figure on the months I do well with MM, I won't have to depend so heavily on the partial unemployment.

I am in the process of registering for classes for an Associates degree as a Medical Assistant. Plenty of those jobs around, hard program to get into, but I figure with my current medical background I should be able to get in, if not, I'll just find something else.

I've waited 7 years for MM (formerly MedQuist) to do better, but they only get worse and worse.

Why do I hang on, because they haven't snatched my benefits yet, and I need them. That's why.

Yes, your son may make more than me at McDonalds or on a paper route, but at least I'm not sitting back anymore waiting for MM to do right by me. Our field is dying, between outsourcing and voice recognition, I predict in the next 5 years they won't need us at all. My advise to all of us to the "reinvent" ourselves, and do it NOW. Thanks, again, for letting me vent.

Similar Messages:

My Biggest Peeve
Nov 18, 2009

More than anything, I hate it when they're eating and dictating.  I can't verbalize how upset this makes me.  I'm not asking the dictator to kiss my rear end, but right now I've got an ESL with an incomprehensible accent chomping and chewing in my ear.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ...

My Biggest Pet Peeve
Feb 24, 2015

has got to be doctors burping in my ears, so gross! ...

Biggest Pet Peeve -- Let's Hear It!
Oct 12, 2010

Mine is chewing of any sort -- food, gum, etc.  They can't be so busy that they have to dictate while smacking.  ...

Does Anyone Know Who The Next Biggest Few Companies Are After MM And Nuance?
Sep 02, 2012

I have watched all the mergers and acquisitions over the last few years, and I every company I go to work for sells to one of them. Who is left that is still pretty big? Part of it is just my being curious. I used to know who the biggest 10 companies were, now I have no idea. Does anyone else know? ...

My Biggest QA Peeve Today Is...
Sep 20, 2012

Unless the CP states otherwise... When the doctor dictates "Dr. Smith," don't pull in his full name with credentials from the database, just type "Dr. Smith." Example: Dictated: " I called Dr. Smith to the ER. " Type: I called Dr. Smith to the ER. NOT: I called Emmett J. Smith, MD, to the ER. If the doctor does dictate a full name or for some other reason you do pull the name in from the database, remember to put a comma after the credentials if it is in the middle of the sentence. ...

My Biggest Complaint Is That Every Time I Get
May 16, 2014

a long report (which happens too often), my screen freezes.  ...

Has Anyone Seen Final Results From Transcend Biggest Loser Contest
Sep 12, 2010

that was promised for 08/28/2010?    This was by far the most unfair contest yet.  It was spread over all platforms, all work types, and there is no way someone on BeyondBelief can compete in production with someone on Escription.  I hope they think future contests out a little bit better so everyone can have a chance to win rather than just the chosen few.  ...

I Finally Get It....
Mar 02, 2010

After receiving the infamous "no jobs available" for the upteen time today, it finally hit me.  What an amazing way to get rid of MTs without really having to get rid of them on your own.  Drive the MTs insane with no work, yet keep them locked to their computers in the hope that a job might become available.  It feels kinda like playing the lottery....you know it's a waste of money and time, but just maybe you might win...ughh.  Why is it that our "professional" jo ...

Now I Finally Believe The End Is Near
Jun 06, 2011

I must admit I've been reading this board for years, never posted until now, partly due to the probably unsubstantiated paranoia going around awhile back that those who posted here got the ax first, silly I suppose, but I used to care about keeping this job and didn't want to take any chances.  Now, finally, I understand that I am fighting a losing battle, and I know longer give ******.  I've been reading about you guys with NJA for days on end, etc., etc., and I guess I ...

I Did It.....finally! Sm
Jul 05, 2011

I finally told MQ goodbye!  I finally got another contract job and they needed me to start pretty much immediately, so I quit without notice.  In a way I feel bad for resigning without a 2-week notice, but I figure MQ would not give me a 2-week notice if they were letting me go.  I wish all my MQ co-workers well and I hope you find happiness either with MQ or elsewhere.  God bless you all! ...

Finally!!
Jun 15, 2012

Never thought this day would get here, but I'm finally gone!! I feel such peace just to know that I won't have to stress anymore about everthing this industry has become: Horrible dictators, low pay, off-shoring, and VR. Bless everyone who is sticking it out until the very end. ...

I'm Finally Out!
Dec 01, 2012

Finally out.  I start a new job in-house on December 10 in a medical office.  Not MT, just answering some phones and setting up appointments.   And I get to wear scrubs.  I guess in the morning I'll be taking off one pair of pajamas and putting on another.  Don't lose hope friends.... ...

Finally, I Got A Better Job!
Dec 20, 2012

I can't tell you how happy I am.  I was literally dancing around the house.  DS thought I was out of my mind, and I kind of was.  I have been trying to get out from under this oppressive company for a long time now, and I finally have.  I wish everyone a happy holiday.  I'm happy to say I won't be posting here anymore.  I've moved on and I'm not looking back. Best of luck to everyone who is in the same position I was this time yesterday. &nb ...

Well I Finally Did It!
Jan 23, 2013

I finally went ahead and filed for partial U/E.  I know I'm not in as bad of a situation as many I read on this board but I just can't live like this anymore.  It's bad enough that our pay has been to sharply cut with VR but now when they don't give us any work to do it's worse.  It humiliated me at my age to have to do this for the first time in my life at 59 years of age but I did it.  ...

FINALLY OUT!!!
Feb 11, 2013

Friday is my last day transcribing at a company that is about to lay off 10-25 people!  Unforunately that company lost its biggest account, but fortunately my last 6 months of hard word has paid off and starting a new career alltogether with the local county!  I will continue to pray for you that you find work to be satisfied with and compensated accordingly.  I have typed for 15 years and it is hard to say goodbye considering it brought me through many hard times raising my two o ...

Finally Got Out Of MT
Jan 01, 2014

I just wanted really to say for those of you still hanging on, worried about work in the outside world, I finally got out about 3 months ago and I haven't been this happy in YEARS and to be exact in the last 12 years that I was an MT.  Working as an MT, I don't think I ever felt good enough, because I would be torn apart due to missing a comma or not being able to understand a term well enough to find it.  I was so stressed about money all of the time and even dreaded holiday ...

FINALLY G-O-N-E!
Apr 11, 2014

I HAVE FINALLY LEFT - WHAT A FEELING!  I AM ELATED TO GET OUT OF THIS PRISON. ...

Getting Out Of MT Finally! Sm
Aug 01, 2014

After 25 years I am getting out of this biz for good!!  I finally found other employment. May not be the best pay to start out with and some people would look it as an odd job for someone my age, but that is okay too!  I can't wait to start!!!! ...

Finally!
Sep 16, 2014

I have been (as some of you all have) trying to get out of this transcription "hell" for years!  I finally, finally landed another job!  It it outside of transcription.  Its with Verizon!  Finally!  I know no job is heaven, but at least I'll get a raise every year.....................and not have to wonder in agony what is going to happen today......................what are they going to take away from me today............will I be able to pay my bills, will there b ...

FINALLY!!!! A Job
Oct 10, 2014

I have been watching the boards for so many months. I was laid off almost a year ago and sent "oodles" upon "oodles" of resumes to every company I saw on this board, the other board, the job servers...You name it, I sent it.  I even did Craig's list. Some were kind enough to respond, some did not bother.  But I still plugged away.  My unemployment ran out in July and thank God we have been making do.  I answered an ad on Craig's list for something out of t ...

I Am Finally Out!! =)
Feb 20, 2015

I am finally no longer a medical transcriptionist!  No more stress!! No more crappy shifts, crappy dictators, crappy PMs!! No more accounts specs! No more anything!  I read on here all the time how people say you can do it! you can get out of the field and find something else but I never believed it!  Now I am!  I accepted a job with an answering service making good money, benefits, PTO, 401 my own hours and I can do it from home!  so ya it can be done people!! ...

Finally Got Out
Mar 25, 2015

After being laid off at an in house job when they went to point and click and spending 3 months looking outside MT for a job, I've landed a position as a medical records clerk.   ...

I Did It! I Finally Did It! Saying Goodbye To MT! (sm)
Oct 22, 2009

I was notified today that I have been chosen for a job with the local hospital - not doing transcription.  I finally get to say goodbye to no vacation, no sick pay, working 24/7, no pay increase, no recognition for a job well done, having to worry about my own taxes, and just everything that goes along with it, like the lying and back-stabbing from managers *** and owners ***, and having to deal with QA who says they follow BOS, but then makes things up as they go.  Its an 8 to 5 job ...

They Finally Noticed
Apr 29, 2010

My CCM finally called and left a message saying I hadn't been logging on and she would have to process termination if I didn't get in touch with her. "A phone call would be nice," I think is how she worded it. I didn't call her back.  I just sent her an email and told her to go right ahead and process termination, that I didn't call because I didn't feel that the Q deserved the courtesy of a call when they treat their MTs like trash. So I am officially free.  ...

MQ Has Finally Broken Me...
Sep 01, 2010

I was actually reduced to tears today with the bullying and threats from people of various departments.  Support acts as though we are stupid and below their level and the shipping department basically called me a liar, but in a nice way after their nastiness.  Due to my age, it will be hard finding a job but at this point, I will sweep floors rather than put up with those with big heads because of a meaningless title.  Then again, on second thought.....I am not leaving without a ...

Our ASR Is Finally Smarter Than A PA.
Feb 04, 2011

After months of having to change it, ASR is finally putting in palpation when the dictator says palpitation, as in tender to palpitation.  It's about time. ...

Getting Out Of MT Altogether Finally
Sep 14, 2011

I am finally tired of all the hoops you have to jump through to get a job only to find out your PC is incompatible anyway.  Plus when you are hired and asked if they can overnight the new-hire paperwork since you do not have a printer and they act like I am crazy for asking (after saying they could overnight it).  I am just so tired of it.  I just have to find something else..... ...

Finally Free!!!
Oct 06, 2011

The nasty Q and I have finally parted ways!!!!  Looking forward to better opportunities than this horrible job!!!! ...

Wow. Finally Someone Who Wants To Pay What We Are Worth!!
Feb 03, 2012

. ...

DQS Working Now Finally...
Apr 03, 2012

~ ...