A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Pet peeve. Docs who use "in lieu of" incorrectly - So annoying. sm

Posted: Jun 09, 2011

Does anyone else run across this?  I work on a verbatim account and a few of the doctors say "in lieu of" when they clearly mean "in light of."  I've flagged these before, but QA has always left them as is.  It gets on my nerves. Undecided

Had a doc once... (sm) - Hi there!

[ In Reply To ..]
...who did this. I had just started the job and automatically corrected it to "in light of" in the report, but he sent the printed copy back for "correction". I photocopied the "lieu" entry from the dictionary, reprinted my corrected copy, paper-clipped the two sheets together and placed them in his mailbox. He never said a word to me about it, but he signed that corrected copy and never misused "in lieu of" again. :-)

Love your way of handling it! - Have had 2 so far today. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Similar Messages:

In Lieu Of
Jan 27, 2011

I don't think the doctors know what this means.  They think it sounds important, so they say it when they really mean "in view of".  It means "instead of", right?  so a sentence like "In lieu of her poor nutrition, will place a feeding tube." is really incorrect right? but I'm supposed to put it anyway apparently or get tagged by QA.  What do you do in this case? and no, it's not a verbatim account ...

Corrected Incorrectly?
Jan 17, 2011

So I have a pretty good editor, I don't dislike him at all. Every once in a while though, he will correct something that I didn't do wrong, either by missing something else in the report, or just marking something red that I had already typed in my original report becuase it was left next to another blank, etc. This has only happened about 3 times in 4 months, but it concerns me because it is very important to me that I look good and maintain high quality standards so that I can get wh ...

Incorrectly Pronounced Medications
Apr 20, 2015

How many of you leave blanks when medications are not pronounced correctly? Or fill in because you are sure of what medication it is supposed to be? I've seen QC and QA fill in the medication when it was badly mispronounced. Example: Methylprednisone for methylprednisolone (there is no methylprednisone).   ...

Pet Peeve..
Aug 07, 2012

Just venting.. why does the dictator feel the need to state, "Briefly..." in every one of her reports, as she starts dictating an almost 30-minute report? Just annoys me! ...

Peeve
Aug 29, 2012

Sorry, I just have to vent. This PhD I type evals for uses the phrase, "The form indicates...."  The form is filled out by the parents.  It would seem to me that the PARENTS indicate -- as the form is an inanimate object and cannot "indicate" anything.  OK, getting off my soap box and back to work.  P.S. She also ends many sentences in prepositions. ...

My Pet Peeve
Jan 26, 2013

It is beginning to drive me CRAZY that these companies never feel like they owe us any explanation whatsoever when we run out of work.  On my job, I will have full lines maybe three days and then the fourth day not one drop of work.  Sometimes, I will email my supervisor to ask her and don't get a response back.  I cannot understand why anyone would feel that we should go to work, not have a single thing to do, and we deserve zero communication as to why! Back when I first s ...

New Pet Peeve
Sep 10, 2014

Dictate on your phone and leave it on buzz so I can decipher through that.. ...

My Biggest Peeve
Nov 18, 2009

More than anything, I hate it when they're eating and dictating.  I can't verbalize how upset this makes me.  I'm not asking the dictator to kiss my rear end, but right now I've got an ESL with an incomprehensible accent chomping and chewing in my ear.  AAAARRRRGGGGHHHHHH!!!!! ...

Pet Dictation Peeve
May 25, 2010

Ooooh!  This gets me.  This is an NP who is dictating acute care - "The patient comes in with a diagnosis of non-insulin dependent diabetes 'myelitis'."  Puhleeze!  The same dictator pronounces "organomegaly" as "organomeglea."  It's like hearing someone scratching their fingernails down a blackboard.  Shouldn't these people have had enough schooling to be able to sound out words?! ...

Small Pet Peeve
Aug 16, 2010

After struggling with names like Siobhan, Ahleksi (concocted to prove a point), and Yvan, I am so happy to have a "normal name" such as what sounds like "John Carter." Whew! Finally! A no-brainer! But I start to look it up-- no such thing in the data base. Well! It just happens to be "John Carter" spelled "Gionn Kharter." This is just a not-real-life illustration. But isn't it irritating when you finally get a regular-sounding name and it's not so regular, and the d ...

Dictator Pet Peeve
Oct 12, 2010

I know this is petty, but for some reason, it grates on my nerves to hear:  blah, blah Period space space.   Or Colon space space enter.  I mean, please, are we considered that incompentent?  but on the other end of the spectrum we have those that don't say any punctuation, which is absolutely fine, but a pause would be nice.  It's not necessary to dictate a whole report in one breath. ...

Posting Pet Peeve
Nov 05, 2010

I have a POSTER pet peeve.  When a comment or question is posted about a specific company, why is the original poster likely to never elaborate?  Why are they wasting everyone’s time? What is up with these hit-and-run posts?   Someone makes an outrageous comment or asks a question implying something negative.  Then when you answer and either ask for more information or ask the original poster a question, the original poster is long gone – never to be heard ...

VENTING - PET PEEVE
Jul 18, 2012

I just have to vent.....the thing that I cannot stand most about this job - even more than the pay, the lack of work, etc....is when the dictator CHEWS GUM when he/she is dictating.  The sound of someone smacking their gum, whether in person or on the phone, makes me CRAZY.  I am positive they do not do this in front of patients or other doctors...but since we aren't 'real people' to them...they just smack away.  I can barely get through the report.  OK.  ...

My Present Pet Peeve
Oct 09, 2012

We dont get paid for ADT information,,YET I got back a report I sent through QA and it said I have to fix all the ADT information with ? next to the docs, that is like every report..what the heck? ...

My Biggest Pet Peeve
Feb 24, 2015

has got to be doctors burping in my ears, so gross! ...

Biggest Pet Peeve -- Let's Hear It!
Oct 12, 2010

Mine is chewing of any sort -- food, gum, etc.  They can't be so busy that they have to dictate while smacking.  ...

My Biggest QA Peeve Today Is...
Sep 20, 2012

Unless the CP states otherwise... When the doctor dictates "Dr. Smith," don't pull in his full name with credentials from the database, just type "Dr. Smith." Example: Dictated: " I called Dr. Smith to the ER. " Type: I called Dr. Smith to the ER. NOT: I called Emmett J. Smith, MD, to the ER. If the doctor does dictate a full name or for some other reason you do pull the name in from the database, remember to put a comma after the credentials if it is in the middle of the sentence. ...

Lets See My Peeve For Today Is
Nov 27, 2012

How do you keep every profile straight when you have about 60 to follow?  And how do you make any money?  Honestly would rather be NJA then handle all these different accounts, at least I could accomplish something like maybe housework, or walking the dogs. ...

Dear Employer: Today's Pet Peeve
Nov 13, 2010

I've been a transcriptionist for more than 25 years, have worked for 7 different employers, and every one of them has always said that it is required for everyone to work one weekend day, you either work sunday through thursday or tuesday through saturday.  Then I see an email to all employees that says, "please consider changing your schedule to work a weekend day."  WTF?  There are people not already working a weekend day?  That makes me feel pretty stupid for all the ...

Looking Up Docs
Jan 19, 2010

MQ told us at one point to use that ponderous webmd.com website to find docs. In my state I use the state medical assn website to find docs. TODAY the office manager for my local docs told me about the NPI website for all states.  Any doctor in practice has to have a # to be billed.  This is THE PLACE to go to find any docs you need to check on.   https://nppes.cms.hhs.gov/NPPES/NPIRegistrySearch.do?subAction=reset&searchType=ind ...

Not Just Docs
Apr 22, 2010

This is on my Facebook page:  "then all your doing is in vein!"  Lord help us, they are everywhere~~ FTR Facebook? ...

Don't You Wonder Why Some Docs Even
Feb 25, 2014

I  mean if they aren't going to enunciate a darn thing and they are so determined to get the whole thing done in 30 seconds and they don't care that there are blanks, why do they even bother?  Please doctor, point and click was invented for you.  I urge you to investigate it. ...

How Some Docs Feel About EMR.........
Apr 03, 2010

Had an appt with my doctor; she was slowly typing as we talked.  I asked her how she liked typing her own records.  She said she hates it but has no choice as it is required now.  Apparently some companies are telling the hospitals that EMR is required by law.  That isn't exactly true, and the companies (such as MQ) do a lot of fibbing and twisting of the truth.  While it will be required that medical records be electronic....HOW they get there is where they are fib ...

From What I Seen When Looking Up Past Docs In DQM
May 14, 2011

People are not doing a full listen/correction. There are some pretty blatant errors, and these errors are being repeated by subsequently dictating physicians who are obviously using other documents for information (as it should be). Blatant errors such as allergy to medications that don't even exit, blatant lab errors that are counter to some of the diagnoses. I shamefully admit to not doing a full listen when I first started voice recognition was back in the beginning, but quickly noted ...

Can't Believe Docs Sign Off On VR
Jan 14, 2012

Had to go to an old report to copy/paste meds.  Read over report to be sure I had other items correctly transcribed (doc dictating at FAST pace)... he signed off on this old report with the glaring error of "pick line" in place!!  It just worries me what else is glossed over in the name of 'time and profit'.. ):  ...

Is It Too Much To Ask For The Docs To SPEAK UP
Nov 03, 2012

How can we edit/transcribe if the volume is highest on the computer, ear phone amplifiers are on, and we STILL CANNOT HEAR!  If it comes straight typing and ASR cannot pick it up, why in heaven's earth does the doctor think I CAN HEAR. I cannot!  Are these docs being passive aggressive... Oh they don't realize?!  That is just MEAN, CRUEL.  Forget that I have to make a living wage, but think about just plain RESPECT.   This vent brought to you by me getting too ...

VR - Docs Almost Say A Word
Nov 04, 2012

On VR, many times a day I hear part of a word like "s" which might be "it is" but if I add that, I might get a Nuance error.  But if I don't add it, it would be an error.  Depends on the QA person.  You really can't tell when listening to it.  This is multiple times a day!! Management should make a decision and tell us that it's not important - that we should concentrate on the important parts of the report.  I add multiple blanks to each report where I d ...

What Did These Docs DO In Med School?
Jun 01, 2014

Night after night I pretty much do the same doctors (not that I am complaining about that), but sometimes I get frustrated because I am floored at how these doctors can get through medical school and NOT KNOW how to pronounce medical terms and medications!!! This doctor pronounces tubal ligation as "Tubical ligation" and she is always mispronouncing names of medications! There are many, many other med terms  she flubs! I fear for the patients so I try and match up whatever ailment they ...

Docs You Hope You Never Have To Go To...
Jan 12, 2015

I have had a dictator who always downgrades whatever pain score someone gives.  For example, he says things like, "The patient says his pain level is 7/10, but I think it is really only a 3."  I have really never heard him agree with a patient's pain score, and I thought the point of pain scores was to find out how the patient was feeling, not how you thought s/he should be feeling.  It's kind of funny, but I would not want him for my physician.  Just wondering if o ...

Wondering How Much Do The Docs Really Know???
May 04, 2015

About VR?  Yesterday, I went with my fiance to his post-op followup appointment.  As the nurse was taking us to the exam room, she told us the doctor would be right with us, he was dictating his clinic notes from the morning.  We had to walk by his office, and his door was wide open.  He was sitting at his desk dictating into his phone, which was lying on his desk, had the speaker phone on, going a mile a minute, slurring, skipping words/entire phrases, all while eating somet ...