A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Bad dictator, can't hear him, leaving blanks, - crh

Posted: Apr 06, 2010

I agree with the poster below who says they do better without QA hanging over them, leaving the same blanks and just nit picking the rest of the report.... Very infuriating.  However, here I am, stuck on a report with a resident who is speaking so low I have the volume all the way up, then he gets loud for a second or 2, just long enough to blast out my ears, and then I can't hear him again.  I'm only 3 paragraphs into it (its 668 seconds long) and already have 3 blanks where I can't hear him.   I AM NOT sending this to QA.  I refuse to be penalized for this type of situation.  NOT MY FAULT and with this FTR situation the way it is, this is just wrong.   Isn't there a labor board we can report this behavior from management too or something??  This just is not safe for good patient care and certainly not fair to us, the laborers....   What is wrong with these people.  And yes, I am looking for a new job (FT) or 2 part-time jobs..  Any suggestions???? 

Thanks for letting me vent...

FTR - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
make sure to include a QA note stating "poor audio quality"

that's for sure, thanks... - crh

[ In Reply To ..]
yep, gonna definitely cover my butt that way.. Thanks

Suggestion, and Something I'm Seriously Considering - MT Idiot

[ In Reply To ..]
I happen to live 6 blocks North of the White House, YES -- THAT White House. And I've been living in this coop apartment building for about 30 years, so this is definitely my home. I'm most seriously considering writing a letter addressed to Michelle Obama, as a woman, as a worker, as a worker in a situation where I technically-speaking have "a job" but I am making below minimum wage and it's getting worse all the time. Most MTs are women. Many support children. Michelle Obama has a brilliant mind and she "cares" about human beings. I'm gonna do it. There are several women who live in this building who are professional writers and editors, and they are friends of mine. One is a professional journalaist. The other is an editor who worked on Capital Hill for years. Both of them have done much writing and editing on health-care industry issues; in fact, that is the "writer's" primary focus. I can get them to go over what I write and help me hone it.

Somebody needs to speak for us. To try is better than not to try. "Someone" deserves to be "filled in" on what this picture really looks like.

Amen to that - crh

[ In Reply To ..]
I can't think of a better way to start asking for help to stop this nonsense. I hope and pray you are successful in getting heard and that this starts the ball rolling. Let's save our profession and lets keep it at "home" where it belongs. Don't railroad us out of our livelihood. I started in transcription 35+ years ago. I earned my ART (RHIT now), and went on to earn my bachelor's in HIM. I have been in management and run records depts and transc depts. When my co. laid off a bunch of employess while I was on maternity leave, I also got hit. Moved across country and with 2 little kids, went back into transcription so I could be at home and not send them to daycare. Used to be flexible so it worked out great. Was even making in the mid 40s. Now I'm looking for a job and would love to get back into management but I've been out of the records part for so long I'm not sure who would hire me after doing "just" transcription for the past 14+ years. Wish me luck...

tell Congress - planetspinz

[ In Reply To ..]
the day health care reform bill was signed, I went on facebook and told my congressional representatives and senators that health care records would no longer be secure as they will be transcribed in Mumbai India. Maybe if we all tell our members of Congress on Facebook what is going on, which will also inform everyone on Facebook, that will make a difference. I made sure to let them know that everyone's social security numbers will be in a computer in India. I told them that my job is being outsourced, along with every American medical transcriptionist. If we all do that, more people will know that not only are our jobs in jeopardy but so is their right to privacy. It's a start and we won't know if it will work if we don't try it.
All Ideas Are Valuable -- So Post Them - MT Idiot
[ In Reply To ..]
Having a health care system that offers some kind of care to more people in our country should not be irrevocably linked to the compromising of our health care records. We ought to be able to separate and distinguish between these things.

One of the most irksome aspects, in general, of the political system (political systems -- generically) is that they try to use two diametrically opposite positions to fight to the death, and never see the shades of gray in between black and white.

None of these things have to be irrevocably linked to each other. They will be that way if they are systematized in such a fashion.

There are many possible equations that can be worked out --- and many that can be tried. Yet you wind up with the "big man with the bullhorn" yelling:

There's only one possible new equation -- and if we 'go there' it spells DOOM.

If that man with the bullhorn can convince enough people he is right --- then he will succeed in creating the scenario he describes. In most cases, the idea preceds the formulation of action. To get people to build a certain kind of system, you need to convince them to create a blueprint first. If you brainwash them and convince them that there's only one possible kind of blueprint --- then yo've "GOT THEM."

There are many unexplored solutions to most definable problems. Once in a while, somebody who hasn't been coopted into a stereotyped way of thinking comes along and proposes a new blueprint and even puts it into operative form. Then we have something NEW and DIFFERENT.

If I am going to write to Michelle Obama, I am going to tell her what I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN 10 YEARS OF WORKING AS A MEDICAL TRANSCRIPTIONIST. And believe me, it's enough to make a thinking person shudder. The question is, can I get her to read a letter that I write --- as a public citizen.
And my guess is, YES, I can get her to read a letter. I can get someone on her staff to read a letter, and if it contains some highly pertinent information -- if it is well written and as succinct as possible --- my guess is that Michelle Obama will eventually read it.

SCARE TACTICS, in fact, TERROR TACTICS -- are used by politicians all the time....i.e., "if we try to make the air we breathe any cleaner -- millions of jobs will be lost." IT DOESN'T STAND.

I Do Wish You Luck --- and To All of Us/Everyone Sailing in "This Leaky Boat" - MT Idiot

[ In Reply To ..]
I do think this is a time when any support we can get from anywhere is helpful. And there's no one who can better support us than our "co-workers." That seems an'odd' word to use -- it's difficult to feel like you are someone's co-worker when the only connection between you is a computer screen. But in fact, we are tied together by much more than the computer screen. We are tied together by our common experience, by the fact that most of us are working women, and by the extremely damaging levels of stress this situation is dumping on us. Many of us are tied together because we have, in fact, a strong work ethic. We are, for the most part, people who ARE, INDEED, VERY CONSCIENTIOUS -- as a group. I know how hard I gave tried to do a good job -- through the more than 10 years --- through ALL the changes, all the insane contradictions (for example responding to different QA giving me completely opposing sets of directives on what is correct and what is WRONG), etc. And I know that a great many MT's (now forced to become ME's) are "cut out of this cloth."

So WE SHOULD SUPPORT EACH OTHER. We really should. It's one thing that can help us. It's an "intangible thing" -- because "feelings are intangible." But the feeling of not being isolated in a bad situation is quite helpful. It will impart a measure of 'comfort' that can be converted into feeling just a little bit better, just a little bit less stressed out, just a little bit like ripping out the last hair on your head!!

They say they want more jobs and less unemployment . . . - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

This is a great idea - MT Bottle

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot imagine anyone would not support your efforts. If a negative post appears it most certainly has to be a suit. It's a good thing we have this instrument through which we can communicate. However we can help, whatever we can do, let us know.

You are awesome! Go for it! - No3cpl4Me -nm

[ In Reply To ..]
X

pick a date and all do it together - Mukky Mukky

[ In Reply To ..]
I think what you're going to do is great. However, where we all seem to fail in trying to get someone to notice is that we're all doing it piece meal. Somehow on this board can someone come up with a date and all those interested, which should be 100% of those on this board, should compose their own messages to Mrs. Obama within that 24-hour period. How could she ignore tons and tons of emails coming thru all on the same day. She is a woman and I would think that if we got any response at all it would be from here. If anyone knows her own personal email, please post.

I think the President has way too many other agendas to juggle at the moment. I'm not saying that Mrs. Obama isn't busy with her duties, but I'm going to have faith that she is at least going to say what is really going on here - something's not right, gotta check into this more and just maybe she will do the ground work and then pass on the findings to Pres. Obama.

How about it, guys & gals? I know there had been efforts here before to organize and they didn't come through, but we've got to try something and soon. Those of you who have professional help to relay your message that's great, but everyone else just put your heart and soul into it and express everything that you have experienced. Since we can't all afford to get together to stage a protest at MQ's home office, we have to utilize all of the resources we have and right now, it seems to be the Internet. Counting on ya!! If we do want to truly save our jobs every one of us has to do it and not just let one person get out there and speak for everyone. Make sense -- if you want to bash that's fine with me, won't hurt my feelings any -- MQ has desensitized me some time ago and my skin has thickened.

Similar Messages:

MLS Are Guessing Rather Than Leaving Blanks..
Jul 10, 2013

Just was notified by my TSM that an account isn't happy.  They feel the MLS are guessing and they have found errors to prove it.  Someone needs to let these clients know how Nuance is enticing some MLS to guess.  They would surely reconsider outsourcing their work and maybe this is the start of hospitals hiring their own MLS again.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!  ...

Testing And Leaving Blanks
Nov 05, 2014

I recently tested for a company.  The test consisted of two typing reports, one 5+ minutes, the  other 7+ minutes. Neither dictator was difficult,  but rather sloppy.  One yawned continuously throughout the physical exam and the other mumbled in the laboratory section.  Naturally,  I placed blanks in places where I was in doubt or just flat out clueless. In both reports combined, I only had a total of 9 blanks. So, I returned the test(s) feeling pretty confident in ...

Instead Of Docking Us For Not Understanding And Leaving Blanks
Oct 27, 2013

for rushing through reports like they are on fire?  Makes sense to me! ...

I Have One Dictator Whose Reports Always Have A Bunch Of Blanks In Them
Mar 02, 2010

I put so much more time and effort into his work and they always come out looking like Swiss cheese.  QA can fill in about 75% of these with their guesswork.  No way am I going to continue listening over and over again to his bad dictation when they are pretty much hopeless.  I'm going to listen once and that's it -- that way I'll get the most for my money I'll be paying for the QA! ...

3 Blanks On Bronchoscopy Report, New Dictator
Jul 31, 2013

DESCRIPTION OF PROCEDURE: _____ (Casting?) of the chest was done with _____ (Vegas?) protocol. Planning of the bronchoscopy was done with computerized software. That same planning was used to navigate the bronchoscope. Afterwards _____ (DAL?) was done of the area. There were no complications from the procedure. Thanks for any help. This is brand new dictator with a bit of an accent. ...

28 Blanks. Cannot Hear It, Cannot Edit/type It.
May 15, 2015

After giving the information to QAM and TSM for more than a year, I am not giving anymore free time letting them know. ...

I Clearly Hear The Dictator Say
Jan 26, 2010

Coumadin 30 mg per day. Now, I want to make sure I'm not dreaming here, but that is completely incorrect, right? Maybe I'm having a brain lapse (been an MT for 20 years) but I want to make sure my thinking is correct that this dosage would probably be lethal? I'm going to leave a blank for the dosage, but I just wanted to double check with my MT friends.  I have listened to it many times, and she is positively saying "30 mg per day."   TIA!! ...

Christmas Carol For MT's - :Do You Hear What I Hear?" Nm
Nov 29, 2009

nm ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

Should We Be Counted Off For Blanks.
Jun 07, 2013

I have been taught better safe than sorry and I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years.  I am docked .05 for each blank, but the standard 3.0 (CPSE) if I got it wrong it happens to be pullled for QA.  I know this is a rhetorical question as we are all professionals, but would you leave a blank and take the 0.5 right off the bat or risk the patient on a lab value, drug name, dosage or diagnosis and take the 3.0 IF that report was pulled for QA? ...

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

Battle Of The Blanks.
Jul 12, 2014

Yep, way back when they started this 99.6% to 99.7% junk that the clients would be complaining about blanks. ROLF As predicted, their little policy bit them in the butt. Since they implemented the 99.6% to 99.7% requirement, I have left a lot more blanks out of self defense that I normally would not have left, but if it is the least bit iffy that QA might not agree, there goes a blank. Although, no way could I "win" a contest for most improvement as I do not leave enough blanks. And, again, ...

Blanks: How Are They Calculated?
Jul 14, 2014

Just wondering if anyone knows what the formula is on how they calculate your percentage of blanks left? They show me a percentage but a percentage of what? Lines? Words? Reports? Ugh. And, one blank may count for one word or an entire sentence. I just don't get it. ...

Battle Of The Blanks
Aug 17, 2014

I wonder if this is their way of seeing who leaves the most blanks and those who do will be the first to be let go when they choose to have another lay-off.  We get an email from our TSM showing our Ultipro numbers and the percentage of blanks  by each MT plus the number of reports done. ...

Blanks In Reports
Sep 29, 2014

Anybody else receiving "counselling" for leaving blanks.  Received e-mail stating some of my reports were pulled and they wanted to go over my blanks.  If I can't hear them or understand them, I don't guess and leave a blank.  Dreading this one.  Seems you can't win for losing.  How do some of you handle the blank situation? ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

I Will Never Be On The Zero Blanks List.
Feb 01, 2015

I would say 1/4 of my reports have at least one blank. 99% of the time, it is due to client profile demands - physician name not in database or spelled, must put in a blank. ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...

Nuance Blanks
Jun 11, 2015

Does Nuance have a percentage to QC you have to maintain?  Seems companies are making the juggling act more and more difficult ... all for less money. ...

Blanks In Tests?
Jun 12, 2015

Do they every throw mistakes in for job testing (that need to blank)?  There were no instructions.   ...