A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

QA penalty now for blanks - anon

Posted: Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.  

So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be penalized by QA for the blank, kiss your incentive bye!!  I'm sure the suits coming up with this are going to be able to take a lot more vacations with bonuses that they are not paying the MTs!!

BLANKS - oldmt

[ In Reply To ..]
I knew that was coming. My wage has already dropped to minimum, so how can it get any worse. This company is buying the smaller companies and is going to have a monopoly on this business in the next few years and will be able to do whatever they want. I'm getting out!! not a minute too soon either.

Across the board? - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
I haven't gotten any emails regarding this change (not that that's surprising). Is it taking effect immediately and for all accounts?

QA policy - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
As I was informed, the e-mails only went to the QA people (this was on the Wmx side but I "think" it is across the board). Someone questioned having a lot of points taken off for blanks. Their TL didn't even know about it.

Oh, good grief. - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot WAIT to find another job. :(

I did just get an email reminding us of when to pend when we have blanks...maybe a coincidence or maybe not.

This stinks big time. sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
They cannot just arbitrarily start taking more money away from us without telling us ahead of time. What kind of asinine crap is this now? I have not seen any emails, and I am on the WEBMEDX side.

"As I was informed?" This is heresay. I'll believe it when... - ...see message

[ In Reply To ..]
...I see it in a formal email or policy change. Sounds to me like just one person spouting off, especially if the TL didn't know about it.
just ask your QA the policy - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
This came straight from new QA policy, just ask your QA if they will be marking off or not if you want to be sure.
Do you have an assigned QA? I'm on the WMX side. - NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Have U seen latest lab data module-Get Real - SeaMT

[ In Reply To ..]
This is the height of nit picking and makes my RIDICULIST.

Perfection in grammar in laboratory data. Who do they think we are transcribing, English Professors?

And yet they think we're only worth 3 cpl. - They need to be SHUT DOWN. (Permanently!)

[ In Reply To ..]

Lab data - Dickens

[ In Reply To ..]
The whole thing about changing commas to semi-colons when there is an internal comma is ridiculous. It's time consuming, and at 4 cents a line--come on!

I'm NOT changing that crap. - mt_not_for_long

[ In Reply To ..]
It IS too time consuming for 4 cpl. I only change what matters, no a few stupid commas.
I haven't seen the module, but punctuating to make - meaning perfectly clear is the job. SM
[ In Reply To ..]
I've always used commas and semicolons as needed, so I don't expect this to be any change from business as usual.
commas and semicolons - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Especially if it is needed for clarity in a long string of values or in a long medication list that is listed in paragraph form, the semicolons can be essential to preserving the meaning. Otherwise, I ignore it as well.
Re: commas & semicolons - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
A couple months ago, supervisor distributed an e-mail cautioning against "over-editing" which listed excessive punctuation editing as one of the examples. Anyone marked off for petty punctuation changes should dispute it and report the QA responsible.
Must depend on the account - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I never got an e-mail like that. My account is verbatim though, so maybe they are more hard core because of that.

The only way I get my bonus is by over-editing. When I don't, I get slammed hard.

QA people need a reason to feel that they are superior. They clearly don't understand how VR is supposed to work.

If they do start counting off for blanks, I will be moving on. They already have the absolute worst QA I have ever dealt with.
QA (at least the old Wmx QA) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
The majority of our WMX QA were excellent, and they would explain if something was confusing and it never ever came across as "superior." I have heard a few were like this, but I never ran into it. The thing is, this is a new policy that just came out, and Nuance expects them to follow their rules. If they don't, their jobs could be at risk. I am just saying that it is not always the QA people's fault, some may indeed be like that, but they are following what they have been told in order to keep their jobs (they get audited as well) It is a new rule and if they stick to it I think a lot more people will leave.

It is still better than M*Modal though, who penalizes you for too many blanks in your line count, regardless of whether the blanks are due to audio, horrible ESL, etc. In this case, it is a minor error on your QA score, and only if it is a blank that the QA person is able to resolve. Still, I think they have gone too far and I am not happy about it!!
I see no conflict between editing as needed and - over-editing. If a semicolon is needed SM
[ In Reply To ..]
for clarity, inserting one is not over-editing.

BTW, some here may be interested in knowing that some transcription schools stopped teaching people to use the semicolon. They had too many students who didn't know what it was and were having trouble understanding why it was needed (!), and so they just decided to blow it off.

My opinion of people being loosed on this field unable to understand when and why that key positioned efficiently under their right pinkie would be used... No need to actually verbalize, right? :)
This is true. Please see my posts below -- - QA
[ In Reply To ..]
the post "Clarification." There isn't much room for interpretation. Those of us who feel this method of scoring is unfair really have no power to change anything. We are audited as the MTs are. I hate my job and am trying to get out of this field altogether.
I remember that exact e-mail and... - JJ
[ In Reply To ..]
remember saving it just in case I needed to defend myself.

SeaMT, no professor here, but no remedial instruction needed - either. This is the job. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

I kissed the incentive goodbye and - I am happier now

[ In Reply To ..]
At one time I was killing myself with work and worry to achieve the incentive, only to have it go away with some arbitrary (in my view) audit deductions and admittedly some misses on my part due to trying to go too fast. Since my incentive was a grand $38 per pay period, I decided to slow down, take my necessary breaks, and quit sweating the QA knocks, and breathe and add some joy to my life. My resulting happiness is well worth foregoing $19 a week!!!! I just function as though the incentive program does not exist, since it really is unattainable by me on a sustained basis.

That's what I did also. That incentive program is a joke. - nuancemt

[ In Reply To ..]
I clock in, do my work, take breaks, do a load of laundry, take phone calls, clock out. I don't worry about this job. I hate this job. Have been job hunting and have 3 interviews next week doing non-MT work.

Same here. - Why bother?

[ In Reply To ..]
My main account has horrible audio. If I slow down for accuracy (having to relisten to words repeatedly), I do not produce enough lines for a bonus. If I speed up, the 99% accuracy goal is sacrificed. Now I do not even try for a bonus and life is easier for me. It helps that I will be looking for a new employer or career at the end of the year anyway.

The incentive can be controlled. - nana

[ In Reply To ..]
The incentives can be controlled. Have you ever noticed how some months (very rare) you get good enough good dictation so you can get an incentive, but others (more) you don't? They can control whether you get an incentive. The work can be routed out in such a way.
If they are doing this deliberately - I am happier now
[ In Reply To ..]
Though I find it hard to believe that intentional manipulation of availability of well-dictated reports is going on, if it is, that's another reason to ignore the incentive to preserve your happiness.
incentive being controlled - mt20years
[ In Reply To ..]
I am sure I will never see incentive again. I did for 6 months and it was nice. Also trained on 5 different accounts and all with specs totally different. Now on another account that I have no clue about. It seems like someone is vacationing with my incentive money, so I too just act like it does not exist. This company makes me sick.
Well, I still haven't figured out how to access Fiesa, but - my last paycheck had a welcome chunk
[ In Reply To ..]
of incentive pay, so I guess I'm scraping through anyway. Just hope some earnest QA isn't sending me helpful messages I'm "ignoring."

Puke-ance - morons

[ In Reply To ..]
I cannot stand this piece of crap company!

Totally confused - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I never received any email about this and my AM is very good about sending out emails that has new info that we need to know.

Yes (sm) - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
Yes, I received the same directions to the effect that if it's easily found and seems like the MT didn't do any basic research or if it's easily heard, the MT should get points taken for the blank. I disagree with this, of course, but just another slave working here. Hate this company.

Clarification (see message) - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
The company has multiple platforms. As we QA/QC/whatevertheywanttocallusatthemoment are moved around, we get training, and with it comes training on how to score the Nuance way. And yes, for me, that training included some cases of taking points away for blanks. You will have some QC who are very resistant to that because we believe it's not a fair policy. I plan on being as lenient as possible in favor of the MT. We have very little wiggle room, though. They've delineated exactly what kind of "error" receives what kind of points.

Hope this explains why some may have heard of this and some haven't. I would think eventually they'll bring everyone to the Nuance way of scoring, but every time they acquire a new company, that's many new employees to try to brainwash, I mean integrate.

I never got an e-mail about blanks - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
I work for Nuance and was not "acquired." I never got an e-mail about blanks being counted as errors. Is this on all accounts? I don't send a lot of work to QA but when I do, I tend to have a LOT of blanks because QA is so insane that I don't dare miss a tiny word or dare to use my own judgement to "fix" grammar problems.

I have been in this biz for a looooong tmie and no one has ever counted blanks as an error.

It wasn't an email (sm) - QA

[ In Reply To ..]
It wasn't an email but a part of training materials trying to bring us (Wmx) people into alignment with the Nuance way of grading errors. As some move to new platforms and are using the feedback system, they get the training.

I feel for you. You're not supposed to guess, but you now have to worry that if you leave a blank you'll be docked for that. The training didn't say to dock for all blanks. It was more for supposedly careless ones, things that are easily heard, easily found, etc. The problem is that is so subjective. We've all had a blank that was tough, only to step away for a break and find it just clicked when we heard it. Other kinds of errors we (MTs and QA) can at least be able to find something factual as basis.

Similar Messages:

HITECH Law Penalty
Nov 15, 2009

Anyone check with their employer to see how they will handle an MT performing a HITECH HIPAA violation after 02/2010?  Could be $100 fine for each occurence, up to $25,000/year.  HITECH HIPAA violation could be an MT putting an incorrect doctor in for a carbon copy.  I know the doctors are so very thorough in their carbon copy requests, so in that case, there should be very few problems...lol. ...

M*Modal's Penalty Charge For Over 5% QA....
Apr 20, 2012

I do not work for M*Modal.  I am not especially wanting to either.  Not many companies will allow satellite internet though besides Transcend, which is being bought out by Nuance.  I am currently with Transcend, but Nuance does not allow satellite, sooo I need to find a place that allows satellite.  M*Modal is one place, so I figured I better get some info on this pay docking they do for over 5% QA.  Ok, how many of you have this docked on a regular basis on your p ...

Penalty For Refusing To Guess
Aug 01, 2013

Now that we can be dinged for leaving a blank that QA thinks we should have known, my % score has gone to the dogs (my apologies to all canines).  When I get a mush-mouth  or a really gnarly ESL, there are circumstances where I have no choice but to leave a blank.  I'm not talking about stuff that could be looked up.  Sometimes the blank in question can be interpreted as either one word or other other and either choice doesn't change the meaning.  But I can gu ...

DTS America (now Transend) Monetary Penalty Imposed
Jun 16, 2011

Is it legal for a supervisor to threaten the group of MT's with monetary penalty for making a very common error on a certain dictator's demographic info?  A DTS America supervisor said this was in place now due to repeated errors on demographic info/signature line.  Are we stupid?  Are we in kindergarten?  Are we in an old-fashioned factory setting from the 1800's and not being supervised by the Labor Board?  DTS is newly owned by Transend, so I wonde ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

Should We Be Counted Off For Blanks.
Jun 07, 2013

I have been taught better safe than sorry and I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years.  I am docked .05 for each blank, but the standard 3.0 (CPSE) if I got it wrong it happens to be pullled for QA.  I know this is a rhetorical question as we are all professionals, but would you leave a blank and take the 0.5 right off the bat or risk the patient on a lab value, drug name, dosage or diagnosis and take the 3.0 IF that report was pulled for QA? ...

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

Battle Of The Blanks.
Jul 12, 2014

Yep, way back when they started this 99.6% to 99.7% junk that the clients would be complaining about blanks. ROLF As predicted, their little policy bit them in the butt. Since they implemented the 99.6% to 99.7% requirement, I have left a lot more blanks out of self defense that I normally would not have left, but if it is the least bit iffy that QA might not agree, there goes a blank. Although, no way could I "win" a contest for most improvement as I do not leave enough blanks. And, again, ...

Blanks: How Are They Calculated?
Jul 14, 2014

Just wondering if anyone knows what the formula is on how they calculate your percentage of blanks left? They show me a percentage but a percentage of what? Lines? Words? Reports? Ugh. And, one blank may count for one word or an entire sentence. I just don't get it. ...

Battle Of The Blanks
Aug 17, 2014

I wonder if this is their way of seeing who leaves the most blanks and those who do will be the first to be let go when they choose to have another lay-off.  We get an email from our TSM showing our Ultipro numbers and the percentage of blanks  by each MT plus the number of reports done. ...

Blanks In Reports
Sep 29, 2014

Anybody else receiving "counselling" for leaving blanks.  Received e-mail stating some of my reports were pulled and they wanted to go over my blanks.  If I can't hear them or understand them, I don't guess and leave a blank.  Dreading this one.  Seems you can't win for losing.  How do some of you handle the blank situation? ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

I Will Never Be On The Zero Blanks List.
Feb 01, 2015

I would say 1/4 of my reports have at least one blank. 99% of the time, it is due to client profile demands - physician name not in database or spelled, must put in a blank. ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...

Nuance Blanks
Jun 11, 2015

Does Nuance have a percentage to QC you have to maintain?  Seems companies are making the juggling act more and more difficult ... all for less money. ...

Blanks In Tests?
Jun 12, 2015

Do they every throw mistakes in for job testing (that need to blank)?  There were no instructions.   ...

How To Find Or Figure Out Blanks
Oct 27, 2009

Hi, I am looking for any ideas or tips that MT's may have as to how to find or figure out blanks. Thank you. ...

Any One Know Number Of Blanks That Can Be Sent To Client
Mar 04, 2010

Have they given a number or will it just be a "gotcha - too many"??? ...

Now They Can See How Many Blanks We Send To Customers
Dec 06, 2010

and apparently can compare it to how many reports we send to QA, and if the number is too high, we'll be gettin a talkin to.  ...

No Instructions On How To Leave Blanks
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, I'm a newbie. If an employer's test instructions say it is not ok to guess, is it ok to leave a "blank" with what you THINK the dr. said? In other words, perhaps like this: <tachycardia>, or is it better not to put what you think he said and just put a plain old blank? any help on this would be great. thanks! ...

Transcend And Blanks Policy
Dec 20, 2011

Transcend, in their employment info, states they only want 3% sent with blanks to QA after 90-day probation is over. What if you are changing accounts or have some really difficult docs? Is this 3% set in stone? What do they do to you? I would think this is a negative impact on patient care, because the MT won't want to send in too many questions. ...

Blanks And Low Line Counts
Aug 15, 2012

Wondering if anyone thinks that leaving a lot of blanks in a file can cut down on the lines in the file. I have a very poor PA dicator and after three months of learning him still have to leave a lot of blanks. He mumbles a lot and do not feel comfortable guessing which I know better than to do. Would like some input on this. Thanks. ...