A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

0.5 point taken off for blanks SM - assassin

Posted: Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.  

Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing. 

Two reports I have gone through so far are for really bad dictators. I listened to a valid blank and it is no different from the other ones--bad audio/dictator error. 

There is even a comment in one that was taken off 0.5 that said "stumbles."  Well duh.  

I am just almost speechless. 

Face it, they do whatever the they want - SM

[ In Reply To ..]
nice that they guessed on someone's permanent medical record and they are totally backed up by the DA's who run this stupid company.

Don't blame you. - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
A QA even came on here and said she does that because leaving blanks is "line-padding" (what?!) and if she could figure it out, the MT "should have". How crazy is it to have someone like that QA'ing? She counts them as "valid" ONLY if she can't figure it out either. You probably had the unfortunate luck of having her. I would contest that. She should be taken off QA; that is insane.

The whole reason to send blanks is to have that second ear, not be penalized for it.

Wow - Assassin

[ In Reply To ..]
I know they can get away with a lot but I never heard of this rule.

One so far, of course, I was correct in putting a blank and then they put in something wrong. This was in the lab section too.

Unfortunately, there are multiple QA people who have done this. I never saw this before so I figured it was a new thing.

Ugh, this is such a highly flawed.... - ...industry! (SM)

[ In Reply To ..]
When I worked as a hospital employee, I put so much time (probably too much) into struggling, researching, and making sure I was as close to 100% accurate as I could be. We were paid hourly plus a bonus for production, so taking more time did have at least some effect on our pay; however, I still put in the necessary effort because we were paid the base hourly wage, so I did what was best for the patient's record. I rarely sent a report for QA to listen, and most of my blanks were left blank by our QA person, too...it was more of a "courtesy" thing to pass it on to her, even though, usually, if I couldn't get it, she couldn't either. Now, in THAT situation, I was really PO'd when I saw some of the reports others sent through, riddled with tons of blanks. Sometimes, they had 20-or-so blanks! You just knew that a lazy (or greedy) MT had breezed through the report and slapped it on hold for QA so the MT could crank out more work. We weren't penalized financially for putting too much on hold or having too many blanks (although they did keep track of what percentage of jobs you put on hold--just to ask us to keep it under a certain percentage).

So, from that standpoint, I sort of "understand" companies feeling like they can't afford to pay someone full price for the line if their work is full of blanks...after all, ANYONE can send a report through full of blanks; and there ARE blanks that one could fill in with a little bit of research, looking up a word in Stedman's, listening another time or two, or just slowing down a little bit. HOWEVER, it is soooooo unfair to the good MTs who have valid blanks (like you've described above) when the QA person fills in some "guess" word(s) and/or penalizes you for sending valid blanks through. It's so obvious that this system encourages people to put their own guess into the blank instead of pursuing accuracy....heck, if I wanted it filled in with a guess, I can do that myself!

And can I just say, it absolutely burns me up when the doctor clearly dictates, say, "75 mg" for a medication that only comes in, say, a 200-mg dosage, so I leave a blank; and if I have to put it through QA for other blanks, the QA person fills in "75 mg." Burns me up!!! If I leave an obvious blank like that, use your head, QA person!!! It's for the DOCTOR to verify and fill in the correct dosage!

As I said, this is a highly flawed industry.
Some of these blanks should be noted as Discrepancies (sm) - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
If you are sending in reports with blanks and one or more of those blanks is because the dictated info is just plain wrong, you should note it as discrepancy on the QA note even though you send it under the Blanks option.

Note the time marker for each discrepancy and a short description. You must learn to CYA because obviously no one else will.

0.5 is only taken off for blanks if there are more than SM - allotted blanks per accout specifics

[ In Reply To ..]
In other words, if the account allows 4 blanks and you have 5 blanks in a particular report, and the reviewer can fill them all in, you are only penalized for ONE of the blanks. Not all of the blanks are given 0.5 deduction. If the reviewer cannot fill in the blank, it should be marked "valid" blank and no points are taken off. Hope this helps.

0.5 taken off for blanks - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
That is soo bogus. I sent one to QA the other day because of BAD AUDIO and was given an entire point off for the blanks. QA just does whatever they want, make up rules as you go along.

I say QA needs to be QA'd. I hope this helps.

They took 0.5 for each blank... - Assassin

[ In Reply To ..]
Since I never saw this before it seems like they have changed their procedures. There is no way you can tell me not to guess and then deduct points because I did just that.

The audio on these...I could have put the right answer (what they came up with) and depending on what the other person heard this would be right or wrong. They could say anything is wrong or right on these...that is how bad the audio is.

If the MT does not abuse the opportunity to send blanks to QA - wannie

[ In Reply To ..]
for help, nothing should be deducted. There aren't too many times that I have to send a report to QA for blanks; however, sometimes I do either because I can't hear the dictator, because it's something I can't confirm (like a new medicine) or just simply because it's a dictator that I'm not absolutely, completely, 100% sure about what he/she said. Being able to understand some dictators is an acquired thing that comes with hearing them more than 1 time a year. The way our work is pooled quite often does not give us the opportunity to become accustomed to a certain dictator's speech pattern. In my opinion, it takes a more conscientious MT to send a report with a blank because he/she is not sure what they heard than someone who just fills in using guesswork. I hope I never get to the point where I fill in something just to keep from being penalized by a company who cares nothing about quality, only quantity. Off my soapbox now!

I agree but ... SM - Assassin

[ In Reply To ..]
This is exactly what could happen ... some may try to fill in something just so they don't get points off.

I have been there for over 5 years. They know by now I don't abuse blanking.

I guess we are different, though, in that many of my reports go to QA because of blanks. I have some really bad dictators. I can be 99% sure and I still won't put it. If he says the same thing over and over and it probably is what he is saying, but I can't hear it (thus not PROVE it), I leave a blank.

This is how I was trained. This is part of why I was hired. This is why, until now, I had mostly 99% and above.

Each one I listened to was iffy. The fill-in could have been right but there is no way they can say 100% on any I checked so far that is what the dictator is saying. Period.

Any QA person saying we are padding lines ... I will be happy to Skype my entire day. You will see me checking things. Try again.

My LPH has done nothing but go down and not because of anything I am doing wrong.

I will challenge each one and we'll see what happens but in te end, this will cause them to lose a very good MT. Good luck to the QA and patients who get my replacement. And not that I'm all that but this company will now only attract really bad MTs.

Which really stinks if you are on a no-blank account-sm - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
which of course is ridiculous anyway. All accounts should allow a minimum of 2 blanks unless they are going to force their dictators to higher standards as well.

I had the same experience when I was told I may - have to go back on NonDSP ...SM

[ In Reply To ..]
My supervisor told me in a post-audit of 25 jobs, I had only 2 errors but both were critical. I questioned the validity of these and he agreed to check them out. I also asked him if the offshore post auditors were harsher in their scoring that onshore. He agreed that the offshore auditors were very literal and picky when it came to scoring jobs. This may be what happened to you - your jobs were reviewed by offshore and they were harsher than our onshore folks. Worth checking out anyway

They were not off-shore; I did check. SM - Assassin

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks for the suggestion though! I know almost all of them from previous reviews and know they are not in India. I think they are trapped by what they are told to do but they still shouldn't guess.

Like I asked before, what is QA for? I thought they - are there to help. noogle. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

What about audio subjectivity? I have to think - this is an issue

[ In Reply To ..]
I imagine those doing QA would have better software and listening capabilities to the audio - am I wrong? Aren't you kind of at the mercy of your computer/speakers sometimes, and if theirs is better they will be able to hear more? I think it is rather unfair to judge that someone did not fill in a blank when they could have until you walk a mile in their shoes, or hear with their "ears" (as far as the hardware and software is concerned anyway) and I kind of think if they are requiring us to hear the same audio as QA does, it is up to them to ensure the level playing field. And I don't mean that crappy Boostaroo thing either.

Similar Messages:

Blanks E-mail, What's The Point?
Jun 23, 2015

It's always the same dictators on the same accounts and NOTHING EVER GETS DONE TO CORRECT IT.  Not sending the e-mails to TSM any longer.  Colossal waste of time. SISO. ...

Update On Taking 1/2 Point Off For Blanks ... SM
Apr 14, 2013

I looked over another email I got previously and it says that these scores are not a part of our bonus scores.  I don't know why they are on there at all ... but if you go to the drop-down box marked Audit Types you would pick Post Audit.  This will be the correct scoring for the bonuses.    I just wish I knew why they kept track at all.  When I first read this email when it came out, I didn't understand that I guess because I had just looked recently at my s ...

What Is The Point Of Asking You What
Feb 04, 2010

specialty you really don't like if that is all they are going to give you? Now, before anyone flames away, I was hired by the Q several months ago as a tier 3.  I pull my weight, work my shift, and don't have too much to complain about except for NJA from time to time. When I was hired, they asked me specifically what specialties I like the most and what I like the least.  I was told that if there was a specialty that I really disliked or didn't have as much experience ...

What's The Point
Feb 21, 2010

of us looking at DocQManage to see what the backlog is?  Several times I have looked and still I don't get the work.  One day last week, almost 200 jobs on my primary account (not sure if it still is) and then an hour later, nothing! Of asking us to switch our hours?  I don't see how that is going to help if there is no work at many different times during the day. Of a CP saying we need to contact CTL to get a list of abbreviations allowed for a cetain account?  W ...

It Is To The Point Now What To Ask For Would Be
Nov 22, 2011

a list of companies that has NOT sold to MQ.  Anyone know of such a list? ...

At What Point Do You Use F11?
Dec 20, 2014

I haven't been gigged yet for it, but when ASR is totally off the wall and I fix a ton of mistakes, I save the report when I am done and use F11..ASR, has been ok? in the past. Recently it is off the wall wrong, what is going on? Why can't they train this thing, how many years has it been now, at least 15 right? If the client only knew ...

Is This Really 1 Point??
Jan 06, 2015

You put "the patient tolerated the procedure really well" and it was corrected to "the patient tolerated the procedure VERY well"... is this really 1 point taken off?! It dosen't change the meaning. Should I reverse? ...

I Don't Really See What The Point Of The
Jan 09, 2015

Fluency "upgrade" is.  They spent how much money paying the techs to work on it & then paying all of us to train so that the spellcheck can now be inconveniently located on the left rather than floating and it now takes twice as long to upload a report because we basically have to go through 2 upload cycles...?  Yet we still don't have the fuzzy physician search fixed or the question marks by the physician names in the ADT, or control-arrow moving to the end of the word instea ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

Can Someone Point Me In The Right Direction?
Jun 25, 2010

Where can I find the law that states the employer is supposed to compensate for things directly impacting the duties of the job for piecemeal workers.  I'm searching, but can't find it. thanks ...

Point Of Care?
Aug 25, 2010

A doc is giving lab values - before each one ASR has typed out "Point of care" - anyone know what this is about - would make sense if I just left those words out. Thanks ...

Well I Have Proven My Point
May 15, 2011

I worked 4.5 hours yesterday and did over 1400 lines!  Typed 95 reports.  If I apply myself I can make good money.  I just need to stop doing other things when I should be working....I should be doing between 1500 and 2000 lines a day the way I look at it.  Far above the 1200 a day minimum.  Hmmm, well guess I better get to work (LOL)....Lord help me!  ...

Where The Finger Should Point
Jul 20, 2011

So much ire and angst pointed at MTSOs.  I even read where the TAT is a marketing ploy :)   It helps to remember that we're all in the same boat and for the same reasons, to support ourselves. What so many of you don't seem to get is that the INSURANCE industry is dictating much of the TAT.  If reports aren't on a chart in xxx time then the facility/physician is dinged financially. If an MTSO doesn't meet TAT, they are dinged financially.  So they a ...

What's The Point Of The Repository When There's Never Anything In It...
May 30, 2012

x ...

Point And Click EMR
Sep 20, 2012

Does anybody know what point and click EMR is? I have no idea. I applied for a job and got a response back but said they pay by the audio minute, not by lines or characters, and also that it there is a lot of point and click EMR. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks! ...

Bull Point
Sep 12, 2012

How do you insert a bull point?  Thanks! ...

What Is The Point Of Responding To Any Of These Ads?
Jan 25, 2013

With 30 years of experience over many platforms (16 of which are from home), what is the point of applying to any of these companies? They are few and far between.  They certainly do not want to pay anyone what they are worth (since they can just outsource on the cheap)... Most of the time you don't get a response from any of them anyway, not here and not on MTDaily either. ...

At What Point Do You File
Jun 26, 2013

I wonder if I'm at that point.  I have not had a huge reduction in work, but about 8 hours a week now.  I've been taking some unpaid time and using PTO.  I think tomorrow I'm going to go to the UE office and talk to them about the TAA assistance. ...

Anyone Else Upgrade To 7.4? I Really Don't See The Point To It, Nothing Is Better
Mar 18, 2014

Why the upgrade?  ...

ASR Good Point
Jun 22, 2014

Many times, I've had absolutely no idea what the dictator said, yet ASR picked it up, and I felt so grateful and relieved that I had that to go by.  Upon seeing it in print, I could hear it and confirm that ASR got it correctly.   Otherwise, I would have likely had to leave blanks in those spots.  It does help at times.  ...

So What Is The Point Of All These Emails Anyway
Dec 10, 2014

Backlog is such and such, and I care about this why? I have a schedule to work, if there is no work, I sign off because there is no work. If the backlog is low, I can't say screw it and go back to bed, I work until there is no work. And the Smart Summary, I have no idea what the purpose of that is, anyone? Quality and blanks reports,hum, no idea there either. Talk about waste of money and justifying your existence, not to mention wasting my time. ...

What Is The Point Of Having So Many Managers??
Jan 20, 2015

What happened to the 1 "manager" that you could call, email and ask a simple question and get a simple answer??? ...

Imedx What's The Point Of It?
Apr 06, 2015

New email (Again). No communication today.  No work today.  What's the point of any of this?  Are you TRYING to drive us away?  Good grief!   ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...