A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Should we be counted off for blanks. - zh

Posted: Jun 07, 2013

I have been taught better safe than sorry and I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years.  I am docked .05 for each blank, but the standard 3.0 (CPSE) if I got it wrong it happens to be pullled for QA.  I know this is a rhetorical question as we are all professionals, but would you leave a blank and take the 0.5 right off the bat or risk the patient on a lab value, drug name, dosage or diagnosis and take the 3.0 IF that report was pulled for QA?

docked for blanks....sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I too have been a transcriptionist for 15 years. Just the other day, I posted a reply to someone else about being docked for blanks. I had told that person that I had submitted reports with blanks to QC and had not been docked anything for the blanks, BUT I just so happen to check my Fiesa today, and BAM! There you go, I sent ONE job in with about 7 blanks in it toward the end of the report because the audio was terrible and the dictator was even worse....

Don't you know, WHOEVER did QC on that report, docked me 0.25 for 3 of the blanks with the reason being "invalid blanks", which states that 0.25 will be taken off if QC feels that too many blanks are being sent in on one report or something to that effect!!

The best part about this little story is that the very person who reviewed the report for QC, COULDN'T FILL ALL OF THE BLANKS EITHER!! Only 3 blanks were filled, and those were the ones I was docked for! It's ridiculous to say the least because I WILL NOT guess if I'm not sure.

They can just whittle away at my percentage all they want. I'm so tired of this job that it's not even funny anymore. I'm looking to get out and I don't care what I have to do in order to get out of MT. I don't care if I have to work at a gas station, convenience store, or freaking McDonald's. Enough is enough with the petty little nitpicking crap they keep doing to wear us down.

I KNOW I'm good at what I do, and I won't let some huge corporation take away the dignity and pride I have always had in my transcription. And I refuse to start job hunting for a medical transcription position anywhere else. I'm just so done with this crap!

blanks - assassin

[ In Reply To ..]
I asked about this before and then I found a recent email about how to look in Fiesa since it changed. I think you need to choose post audit or something like that in the drop-down box. We are not really marked off in our counted scores. I asked why they did this and my supervisor said they are actually grading the dictator and see who has lots of blanks.

They put invalid when it gets to no more allowable blanks from that specific facility.

Ask your manager. They should have details. I recently got a different job elsewhere so I can't look it up.

I was really spittin mad at first too. :)

The motivation I think is to get them all to go through ISR so bad dictators need to get better, but that is just my opinion.

Please excuse any typos---on a laptop and this keyboard is so spread out. Argh.. and I don't use QWERTY usually so that makes it extra difficult.

Thank you so much!...sm - LoveMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for the input! I was doing so good and my score was 100%... right up until I misspelled a word in a report they did QC on for blanks, and that dropped me to 99.8%, which was fine with me.

Then, when I went in yesterday and saw that report with all those blanks and 3 of them marked off only because someone was able to actually understand what he was saying through his freaking cell phone and mumbling mouth, I was really livid! I mean, really?? That was my first thought, LOL

I will get with my TL or TSM (whatever they're calling them these days). She's really great about going to bat for our team. Maybe I jumped the gun a little. I'm going to go into Fiesa and see if I can do what you explained.

I'm pretty new to the Fiesa thing, and even after reading the instructions sent to us, I still have problems finding what I want. :)

Thanks again! And God bless you!

Yes, there should be deductions for blanks - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
left for indecipherable mumblings, but from a dictator's pay, not an MT's.

How dare a doctor possibly compromise the safety of any patient or hold up the works while an MT and then QA deliberate over what the hell he or she was too lazy to enunciate? These people are not royalty. I hate that kind of cavalier attitude, like it's too much bother to do their job correctly. Part of their job IS to communicate information to the transcriptionist so it can be entered into the record. By the way, I looked up the definition of 'communicate,' and several entries contained the word "clearly."

How would they like it if someone had such a casual attitude about clarity in relaying data for one of their loved ones? They also probably wouldn't be too thrilled with not being able to do their best to care for a patient because someone else in the healthcare chain was too apathetic to make sure that doctor had what they needed to perform their job in a timely and effective way. The truth is that some (not all - not even saying most) doctors/nurses/PAs see dictating as an unpleasant, time-consuming task that they just don't want to do, and that as long as something remotely audible comes out of their mouth, they're doing their job.

same thing here - new but old

[ In Reply To ..]
I had the same thing but mine was not on FIESA, mine was in where if I have pended a report for having more than 2 blanks I always get it back with a QA score, not post audit but it still irks me. I have never been marked off before, but I had the same person and she marked off 0.5 for every single blank I left, I emailed my supervisor and they all were taken off and should not have been marked that way. I do not leave blanks unless I truly do not understand what is being said. Out of 65 reports typed today, 3 were pended for more than 2 blanks and there were at the most 4 blanks in any of them. My supervisor said she was going to speak to the QA person because this should not have been done.

yes, there should be deductions for blanks. - ep

[ In Reply To ..]
I agree with you. I think that the doctors should be made to listen/type what they dictation. If they can do it, good. If not, they should redictate it (at their own expense) and try again and keep trying until they can do it correctly. I have been there and it bugs me to try and understand what they are saying especially when they are tired, chewing gum or dictating while they are eating.

See below post for QC QA change in - Blanks

[ In Reply To ..]
SM

Blanks - Chavera

[ In Reply To ..]
I think getting docked for blanks is a TERRIBLE idea. I remember the good old days, when my education and experience was trusted! If I put a blank, it is either because I REALLY cannot comprehend what the doctor is saying or because I am too scared to make even an intelligent guess. I don't know how this is going to play out, since I just got notification today about this concept of "Valid" versus invalid blanks. It seems the email is saying there is no disputing these, either. What a bunch of crap.

Similar Messages:

Counted The Ones Who Passed
Feb 11, 2015

in my pod from the list they sent out.  Two-thirds passed, one-third failed.  (I was in the fail group).  Let the Indians do it and see how they score.  I hate this BS ...

HOW ARE OUR LINES COUNTED
Apr 21, 2015

With the new pay plan, I know we take our lines for edit work and cut them in half.    my question, are my transcribed lines also cut in half?????  god I hope not ...

Yep, Counted Them. Typed For 9 Different Facilities.
Jun 28, 2010

They are all my "regulars."  Nothing new.  I don't even think I have a primary account any more; seems to be just first in-first out or something.    ...

Letterhead Using Text Box Counted?
Dec 20, 2010

As far as I have researched, text boxes cannot be counted in a document unless checked off in the line counting software, even in MS Word's Wounsel/Line Count.  It ony counts 1 line if Ihighlight the text box.  The text box is setup to show in the background, although the header is showing in front of it.  It is about 2 inches in height.  If I delete the text box, the header is still there.  Please advise if you have any experience with this.  Thanks! ...

Straight Transcription Counted As ASR
Nov 25, 2013

Noticed today that my one and only transcription report, was counted as an ASR job. What? I debated what to do, because it was a short dictation, after all. But, no I can't allow that. I have to count every penny. So watch those kinds of things, too. Check your stats, make some type of notation. Shouldn't let this type of thing go... ...

If An Audit Slams You For An Error Counted As 0.25, How Is The Percentage 97.88%?
Mar 18, 2010

I am confused.  ...

Most Transcriptionist Are IC And Don't Get Unemployment Or Counted In Any Employment Rolls.
Jan 07, 2012

There may be new healthcare jobs but let's face it they aren't for us kids!  Most of us who are running out of work or making less or just plain losing our jobs don't file for unemployment because we are SE from a company out of station that doesn't pay our unemployment or we are IC in the same situation.  How many of those healthcare jobs are for IT to set up the systems replacing us!  ...

Question About 7 Cents A Line With Spaces Counted
May 10, 2012

I have a question:  I currently make 8 cents a line, but it is VBC.  If I had a job that paid 7 cents normally, but paid for spaces and other things in the report would one be coming out ahead making at least 8 cents a line or may be even more when it is all figured out?  Has anyone ever done this and actually making more $$$ by making the 7 cents a line instead of 8 cents?   I used to have a job that paid 10 to 10.5 cents a line, but they sold out. I was just ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

Battle Of The Blanks.
Jul 12, 2014

Yep, way back when they started this 99.6% to 99.7% junk that the clients would be complaining about blanks. ROLF As predicted, their little policy bit them in the butt. Since they implemented the 99.6% to 99.7% requirement, I have left a lot more blanks out of self defense that I normally would not have left, but if it is the least bit iffy that QA might not agree, there goes a blank. Although, no way could I "win" a contest for most improvement as I do not leave enough blanks. And, again, ...

Blanks: How Are They Calculated?
Jul 14, 2014

Just wondering if anyone knows what the formula is on how they calculate your percentage of blanks left? They show me a percentage but a percentage of what? Lines? Words? Reports? Ugh. And, one blank may count for one word or an entire sentence. I just don't get it. ...

Battle Of The Blanks
Aug 17, 2014

I wonder if this is their way of seeing who leaves the most blanks and those who do will be the first to be let go when they choose to have another lay-off.  We get an email from our TSM showing our Ultipro numbers and the percentage of blanks  by each MT plus the number of reports done. ...

Blanks In Reports
Sep 29, 2014

Anybody else receiving "counselling" for leaving blanks.  Received e-mail stating some of my reports were pulled and they wanted to go over my blanks.  If I can't hear them or understand them, I don't guess and leave a blank.  Dreading this one.  Seems you can't win for losing.  How do some of you handle the blank situation? ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

I Will Never Be On The Zero Blanks List.
Feb 01, 2015

I would say 1/4 of my reports have at least one blank. 99% of the time, it is due to client profile demands - physician name not in database or spelled, must put in a blank. ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...

Nuance Blanks
Jun 11, 2015

Does Nuance have a percentage to QC you have to maintain?  Seems companies are making the juggling act more and more difficult ... all for less money. ...

Blanks In Tests?
Jun 12, 2015

Do they every throw mistakes in for job testing (that need to blank)?  There were no instructions.   ...

How To Find Or Figure Out Blanks
Oct 27, 2009

Hi, I am looking for any ideas or tips that MT's may have as to how to find or figure out blanks. Thank you. ...

Any One Know Number Of Blanks That Can Be Sent To Client
Mar 04, 2010

Have they given a number or will it just be a "gotcha - too many"??? ...