A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Testing and Leaving Blanks - ZippyFingers

Posted: Nov 05, 2014

I recently tested for a company.  The test consisted of two typing reports, one 5+ minutes, the  other 7+ minutes. Neither dictator was difficult,  but rather sloppy.  One yawned continuously throughout the physical exam and the other mumbled in the laboratory section.  Naturally,  I placed blanks in places where I was in doubt or just flat out clueless. In both reports combined, I only had a total of 9 blanks. So, I returned the test(s) feeling pretty confident in my work.

Fast forward to this evening - I receive an email from the company stating that "unfortunately" my test(s) held too many blanks to (get a load of this) not only be considered a candidate for the position,  but also to even be reviewed.  LOL ...I could've been bought for a rusty penny because I was DONE after reading that email. I have NEVER known a company,  even the worst of the worst, to penalize an MT  for justified blanks in testing, especially when you consider the fact that we are working with no reference material for that particular doctor and the doctor is messy and constantly yawning throughout the dictation. This woman's response was asinine.!

I sure hope whatever hospitals this company contracts with is triple checking their reports because it sounds like this company is lazy and isn't big on accuracy or quality.  I have always been encouraged to blank uncertainties instead of guessing - maybe I've been misled.

Fyi, this company recently placed an ad for psychiatric transcription.   Don't waste your time transcribing their ridiculously lengthy "test" files if you have more than 2 blanks by the 30th paragraph (insert sarcasm).

Wow, what nerve that company has.... - and I think I know which one

[ In Reply To ..]
you are talking about. I would have emailed right on back with "Unfortunately THAT dictation was horrible so if it's any indication of the type of dictation that you allow, I cannot consider working HERE."

Agree! sm - ZippyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
LOL I love your response. I was so frazzled by her gall, I couldn't think of anything snazzy to say. I did let her know that being how I pride myself in my work, I will continue to adhere to my "when in doubt, blank policy and wished her the best.

I am still rattled by her nerve!

You think that the blanks are - MTPerson

[ In Reply To ..]
justified, but did you ever stop to consider that she has had many other MTs take the same test who do not leave 9 blanks, or maybe even any blanks?

Personally, I would NEVER turn in a test with 9 blanks in it! - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
I have been in this business for over 20 years. In my opinion, a test with 9 blanks would signify to me that the person has very little experience in dealing with difficult dictators. I would also conclude that this applicant does not want to "think." They do not want to take the time to really listen and try to figure out what is being said.

You say the company is lazy because they won't accept blanks on a test and the company isn't big on quality or accuracy. I would say you were lazy in leaving 9 blanks because you didn't want to take the time to think and try to figure out what was being said. I would say that a report with with more than two blanks in it is not a quality report.

Finally, to use an excuse the fact that you were not provided samples as a reference for a dictator in order to take a test is exactly what is wrong with this industry and why experienced MTs cannot earn an honest wage anymore. You need your hands held and someone to lead you through a report when myself and others like me can sit down and type any given dictator with near perfect accuracy only because WE have taken pride in our jobs! You have no pride at all!

9 BLANKS IN A TEST! Geez!

who are you - ZippyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
to tell me what I take pride in? You are a nasty human being and your alias is completely befitting of you. You are probably the nut job I referenced. I find it disheartening that your company encourages and accepts crappy dictators for your MTs to transcribe. No wonder your company has changed names so many times - you screw up under one name and resurface under another. I'm not fooled one bit by your personal attack T. Good luck hanging onto those accounts that you hold in such "high regard" lool.

My company?!?! Okay, first off I am in no way, shape or form associated - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
with the company you tested with and failed. Having said that, no company, hospital, doctor's office, etc. "encourages crappy dictators." The fact that you would even think that shows how inexperienced you truly are. Crappy dictators are part of the job, like it or not. So, yes you made one true statement in your post -- we do have to accept them. You need to get a grip and accept that fact that you failed this test, not by anyone's fault by your own.

furthermore - ZippyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
clearly you didn't read everything I posted because I said nothing about samples being provided for a test - DUH! WOULDN'T THAT DEFEAT THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF IT BEING A TEST? Evidently, you didn't "think" that part of your delusional rant out.

The reason people like you cannot earn a "decent wage" is because you probably spend all day moaning and bitching on forums like Mtstars and blaming everyone else for your inability to progress with medical transcriptions new innovations and changing technology. Cry me a river!

In your original post you stated... - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]

"I have NEVER known a company,  even the worst of the worst, to penalize an MT  for justified blanks in testing, especially when you consider the fact that we are working with no reference material for that particular doctor and the doctor is messy and constantly yawning throughout the dictation."

YOU were using the fact that you had no reference material for the doctor as an excuse for failing the test.  I simply reiterated the obvious -- it was a test and no one should hold your hand.

It is attitudes like yours that cause all the guessing. SHAME ON YOU! - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
n

And it's attitudes like yours that make us all look incompetent. - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Grow up, quit whining and do your job!
Who was whining? I told you the truth about yourself and you got - sm
[ In Reply To ..]
mad? YOU need to grow up and stop whining!!!
Actually, I told YOU the truth about yourself - leaving too many - SaltyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
blanks and then being arrogant enough to blame it on the company, the test, and the dictator and YOU got mad and tried to insult me.

I have never been angry during this whole conversation. I've simply stated facts as I see them and gave my opinion.
Agree with SaltyMT - the whole way through. nm
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Blanks - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I would not have transmitted a test that had any blanks in it at all. After 30+ years of transcription, I have never taken a test and had to file it with blanks in it. I'm sorry, but that job may not have been the right fit for you.

You're absolutely - ZippyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
correct. I believe in devine intervention and the job probably just wasn't for me. I have never turned in any test with 9 blanks either, but hey, there's a first time for everything and I gave it my best shot. I appreciate you stating your position without jumping on your high horse.

Blanks are part of the test. - Gigi

[ In Reply To ..]
Most companies purposely put a part in the dictation that is mumbled or doesnt make any sense to see if you will guess or if you will leave it blank. So if you never leave blanks, you are guessing. I have never seen anyone that never had blanks...stop lying

Or maybe they put the mumbled or nonsensical dictation - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
in to see if you can use deductive reasoning or how good your ear is. And when a person leaves 9 blanks, it becomes clear that they have very little idea what they are doing and no confidence in their own knowledge and skill.
The person who hired me for a job once told me they purposely leave a blank - Gigi
[ In Reply To ..]
to see if you guess or not, and I left a blank, where there should have been one, which is what they wanted. The point that I was making was I dont believe the lady that said she never left a blank..
Which is your problem... - Mary
[ In Reply To ..]
On my mother's grave, I have never had to leave a blank in an MT test. I also have 35 years of experience, an associates degree in what was then called Medical Secretarial Science, and several years of experience as a QA. I happened to be the go-to person to fill in blanks for 62 other MTs for several years. Just telling you like it is, the truth. If you cannot handle the truth, that is your problem. And, you are rude.
Narrow minded - ZippyFingers
[ In Reply To ..]
You are incredibly narrow minded and extremely bitter about a strangers personal experience. Frankly, your speculative stance regarding my work is immaterial to me, but I can guarantee that I have NEVER been let go for low QA scores, poor work quality or critical errors.....can you say the same Miss Haughty No Blanks? I doubt it. Nine blanks in 2 lengthy reports with two different dictators who yawned and mumbled throughout portions of their dictation? Pretty darn good if you ask me. Being the world class MT expert that you are, you should know that most doctors have very unique physical examination sections and that there is no exact template or dictating language for the PE part of a report; so if the dictator is MUMBLING throughout their tailored physical exam, then you are darn skippy, I am leaving blanks because I do not understand what they are saying, I am not positive of what they are saying and I am not going to guess no matter how trained my ears are. Sorry that offends the perfection that is your perfect world.
You are not being tested on templates or format, but on content only. - SaltyMT
[ In Reply To ..]
I never once said that I never leave blanks. I can also agree that on some tests they maybe expect the MT to leave a blank instead of guessing, but absolutely not NINE times.

You can call me whatever names you want, but it doesn't change the fact that you FAILED that test. So at least one company out there agrees with my assessment of your skill level and I'm willing to bet this isn't the first nor will it be the last test you fail.

Good Luck!

I couldn't have said it better sm - ZippyFingers

[ In Reply To ..]
myself GiGi. People like her are the reason why patients are prescribed medication that they are allergic to and cause patients to have the wrong limb operated on. I take people's health seriously and REFUSE to ever guess over putting a blank.

Thank you for your rational response. I wouldn't waste anymore time with the blankless MT with 100 years experience lol....leave her be in her deluded, blank free world lol.
Well, we do not know what we do not know. - Someone else might understand it
[ In Reply To ..]
We don't know what we don't know. Most people are not aware that there *is* anything to know beyond what they know. So, when you can't understand something, you feel that it is the doctor's fault because he "mumbled" it. When you hear that other MTs could understand it, you assume that they just guessed because you can't imagine that anyone could know what you don't know.

In all of this, you seem to feel no sense of inadequacy and seem to feel absolutely no need to improve. You even sent the MTSO a snippy email to confirm it.

That is why the company doesn't want to hire you. They have seen it before and know that employees like that are bad news because that kind of attitude doesn't stop with blanks. No matter where the inadequacy lies, the employee won't see it, will feel attacked, and will lash out with inappropriate behavior.
You are an incredibly nasty person. - Mary
[ In Reply To ..]
And that is the truth.

Oh PLEASE - Not a martyr

[ In Reply To ..]
All you nonblankers, nonwhiners -- adjust your crowns and move along. Nothing to see here. Wow! The venom. Someone notes that she left blanks in a report and the charges of incompetence ring out. Why don't you save your anger and direct it at the sloppy dictators. It may be "our job" to wallow thru the crap and try to transcribe it, but your level of misdirected rage --- what's up with that? I had blanks in a test, got hired, and over time, with samples, got an ear for some dictators. It takes time. If I were the recruiter, I would've made a judgment call on what the poster did do; in fact, I wonder if the recruiter ever heard the dictation.

The problem is not that you left blanks, but that - you could not figure it out ...

[ In Reply To ..]
The first problem isn't that you left 9 blanks, but that you couldn't understand what was in those blanks ... when others can.

Those tests are not designed to see if you can barely do minimal-difficulty work. They are intended to assess exactly where your abilities lie.

The second problem is that you do not see that the problem lies in your skills, or lack of them, and that you rationalize this by blaming the doctors, whom you apparently fail to recognize as customers.

The third problem is that you think it is perfectly fine to expect an MTSO to hire someone to re-do your work to fill in all the blanks you leave. You don't grasp what's wrong with that picture. If they have to hire someone to do your work over, they don't need YOU in the first place.

FINALLY! Someone who gets it! - SaltyMT

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you for so concisely summing up what I have been trying to say.

I'm down with what you say, but there are a couple - of problems with it.

[ In Reply To ..]
The first problem, of course, is that MTSO's DO hire people to re-do work - but it's the work that comes in from overseas, a lot of which is pure crap. (I've seen four errors in the space of three words.)

So, that argument really doesn't wash very well.

Second, although you're right about the extra cost of blanks (you don't mention the delay as well), it's mighty strange, then, that few if any MTSO's offer any kind of monetary recognition to the people who have very little work going on hold for blanks.

If that work is being done at a lower cost, and being delivered to the client faster, why is the only "recognition" of a low "pend rate" a matter of whether or not you get to keep your job?

That's like saying to an employee, "You did such a good job on that presentation you made that you get to come to work tomorrow."

As I said, I agree with what you'e said, but the behavior of MTSO's rather flies in the face of your (and my) logic.

Well, doing well on presentations IS EXACTLY - how I keep my job.

[ In Reply To ..]
I was an MT in the past, but have a non-MT job now.

Believe it or not, most jobs work exactly like that ... do well today or find yourself out of a job tomorrow.

It is not enough anymore to just do the minimum.

I have minimum standards for my position, as well as higher and very high standards to qualify as exceeding them. I don't ever want to sink to the level of meeting only minimum standards, much less dropping below them.

When I was an MT, I did not turn in work that required rework. I don't now, either. Ever.

Similar Messages:

MLS Are Guessing Rather Than Leaving Blanks..
Jul 10, 2013

Just was notified by my TSM that an account isn't happy.  They feel the MLS are guessing and they have found errors to prove it.  Someone needs to let these clients know how Nuance is enticing some MLS to guess.  They would surely reconsider outsourcing their work and maybe this is the start of hospitals hiring their own MLS again.  Wouldn't that be wonderful?!  ...

Bad Dictator, Can't Hear Him, Leaving Blanks,
Apr 06, 2010

I agree with the poster below who says they do better without QA hanging over them, leaving the same blanks and just nit picking the rest of the report.... Very infuriating.  However, here I am, stuck on a report with a resident who is speaking so low I have the volume all the way up, then he gets loud for a second or 2, just long enough to blast out my ears, and then I can't hear him again.  I'm only 3 paragraphs into it (its 668 seconds long) and already have 3 blanks where ...

Instead Of Docking Us For Not Understanding And Leaving Blanks
Oct 27, 2013

for rushing through reports like they are on fire?  Makes sense to me! ...

QC Leaving?? Leaving More Work For MTs?
Jun 14, 2015

Sorry QC was put on the grid and suffering losses (like we have), but from my point of view the more of them leave, the more work left for us.  Isn't that horrible we are reduced to feeling that way about our co-workers??? Some QC say they are not allowed to do MT unless the account is behind, some say they are allowed when they run out of work.   From the length of time we have been suffering from OOW I have to believe they can and do jump in on our work when out of QC ...

Saince Testing? Transcription Or Vocabulary/terminology Type Testing?
Jun 16, 2014

Anyone willing to tell if it is multiple dictations, how many, etc.  Were you able to get foot pedal to work with it? any info helpful.  ...

Blanks And More Blanks
Jan 21, 2010

I have just had it.  I was switched over to a horrid account, and every time I ask about being switched back, I am told to just keep on working.  The account I was switched to have horrid AMERICAN doctors as well as ESLs.  I have sat here for months listening and re-listening to no end.  We are always sent emails not to guess, send everyting to QA, well I have just started too.  No longer am I sitting here trying to guess, only to have to send the report to QA anyway.&nb ...

Blanks Yet?
Mar 09, 2010

I am so brain dead.  Are we supposed to be sending reports with blanks again? I thought this was held off until March 14th or is that just with unchecking the QA box if you do not want it to go to qa?  thanks.  between audits,lengthy emails, deleting this and that,its just a bit too much anymore.  sigh.  ...

Blanks/QA
Jul 11, 2012

Utterly confused. I took a big, BIG hit with the QA deduction in paycheck this week. So, I decided to investigate. Like everyone else, I have about 10 "regular" accounts. No blank rule is mentioned anywhere on any of the Account Specifics. I wrote the QA person for my CMC questioning how many blanks were acceptable without sending to QA, and got the "first time right" explanation. This is BOGUS...if I have one blank on a lengthy report and hafta send to QA and they take the total line ...

LPH And Blanks
Apr 12, 2013

I got a complaint from corporate that my lph are not where they should be via my TSM. I have been at MModal 6 weeks and just got off training. I was hired in at tier 3. My lph are gradually going up every day but not to suit corporate. I do straight transcription, no VR, on Futurenet. A lot of ESL bad dictators. I am still getting new dictators every day I work. It's hard to be up to par when you are still learning dictators. I work on 11 accounts. I think I am spending too muc ...

SENDING BLANKS THROUGH
Mar 04, 2010

I'm just sayin....as a radiology MT in this company for 14 years...we have always sent radiology reports straight through to the docs to review and sign (because of turnaround time)....never knew they did QA until I got new accounts 2 years ago....and have had some pretty bad foreigners.  I believe it is docs job to go over his reports anyway...he is legally responsible.. ...

Twenty Blanks To QA
Dec 27, 2010

It just occurred to me that MQ could have another card up its sleeve in order to knock down our pay, yet another scourge to get us to quit.  All it takes is more than 1 report sent per day to put my percentage of reports to over 5% to QA, which would result in 50% salary decrease.  I just had a report where ALL of the blanks were from horrible sound quality.  Words were missing, the surgeon was speaking from his speaker phone which picked up shuffling papers, you know those s ...

QA Penalty Now For Blanks
Jun 29, 2012

They are more and more following M*Modal.  Now if a report is QA'd with a blank, you will be penalized in your score for that blank, and this has been verified by a QA person, who received the new directions recently.  As I understand it, you are penalized if QA was able to find the blank either in old reports or by research, or just knowing the term.   So you have a choice, spend a lot of time on research and see your LPH plummet to minimum wage, or blank it and then be pen ...

Anyone Else On An Acct That Allows No Blanks...
Mar 22, 2013

I'm on accts that do not allow any blanks at all through to the cliient.  ALL blanks must go to QA.  I haven't ever worked on an acct that would not even allow one blank to the client.  Anyhow, might not would be so bad but the dictators are TERRIBLE!  Many ESLs also.  Combine no blanks allowed with terrible dictators = sending more to QA.  That means docked pay if 5% or more.  Oh, and don't let me forget, no samples yet.  So you have to ho ...

0.5 Point Taken Off For Blanks SM
Apr 11, 2013

I just looked at my review for March and I see all these 0.5 deductions for "blank filled in by reviewer."  There are also Valid Blanks that take off no points.   Sorry if this has been asked but did they say they were going to do this?  And if so, when?  Also, I listened to these blanks.  There is no way they can tell me 100% what was said in any of them, which is why I blanked them.  So they are guessing.  Two reports I have gone through so far are for real ...

Should We Be Counted Off For Blanks.
Jun 07, 2013

I have been taught better safe than sorry and I have been a transcriptionist for 15 years.  I am docked .05 for each blank, but the standard 3.0 (CPSE) if I got it wrong it happens to be pullled for QA.  I know this is a rhetorical question as we are all professionals, but would you leave a blank and take the 0.5 right off the bat or risk the patient on a lab value, drug name, dosage or diagnosis and take the 3.0 IF that report was pulled for QA? ...

Deducting From QA For Blanks
Aug 10, 2013

Is it common for the transcription services to deduct from our QA score now, or is this exclusive to Nuance?  I'm pretty frustrated today:  VR had said 14 cm, but it sure sounded like 40 cm, but it was an orbital rim fracture (a small area), so I was reluctant to change it to 40 without another pair of ears.  I put this in an elaboration (which we're not paid for) and found I was dinged 0.25 for my efforts (only thing "wrong" with the report).  I'm not sure I c ...

Penalized For Blanks?
Aug 15, 2013

I thought I just saw something on here that said that we were being charged for blanks?  Are they actually doing this? If so I have not seen anything stating it.   ...

Battle Of The Blanks.
Jul 12, 2014

Yep, way back when they started this 99.6% to 99.7% junk that the clients would be complaining about blanks. ROLF As predicted, their little policy bit them in the butt. Since they implemented the 99.6% to 99.7% requirement, I have left a lot more blanks out of self defense that I normally would not have left, but if it is the least bit iffy that QA might not agree, there goes a blank. Although, no way could I "win" a contest for most improvement as I do not leave enough blanks. And, again, ...

Blanks: How Are They Calculated?
Jul 14, 2014

Just wondering if anyone knows what the formula is on how they calculate your percentage of blanks left? They show me a percentage but a percentage of what? Lines? Words? Reports? Ugh. And, one blank may count for one word or an entire sentence. I just don't get it. ...

Battle Of The Blanks
Aug 17, 2014

I wonder if this is their way of seeing who leaves the most blanks and those who do will be the first to be let go when they choose to have another lay-off.  We get an email from our TSM showing our Ultipro numbers and the percentage of blanks  by each MT plus the number of reports done. ...

Blanks In Reports
Sep 29, 2014

Anybody else receiving "counselling" for leaving blanks.  Received e-mail stating some of my reports were pulled and they wanted to go over my blanks.  If I can't hear them or understand them, I don't guess and leave a blank.  Dreading this one.  Seems you can't win for losing.  How do some of you handle the blank situation? ...

Deduction For Blanks
Jan 22, 2015

I have noticed that on some reports I get back from QA that I am marked down for the blank and other reports I have gotten back I am not.  Does anyone know if you are suppose to have points taken off for that? ...

I Will Never Be On The Zero Blanks List.
Feb 01, 2015

I would say 1/4 of my reports have at least one blank. 99% of the time, it is due to client profile demands - physician name not in database or spelled, must put in a blank. ...

Denied Pay For Blanks!
May 26, 2015

I am a very experienced MT who never leaves blanks unless the dictators us just plain undecipherable, which was the case with one ESL idiot who was such a poor dictator I had to leave about 25 blanks.  I struggled with this jerk's utterances (can't call them actual words) for an HOUR, replaying over and over, trying to figure out what he MEANT to say.  I made way under minimum wage on in that hour, and put in a lot of free time to try to get thro ...

Nuance Blanks
Jun 11, 2015

Does Nuance have a percentage to QC you have to maintain?  Seems companies are making the juggling act more and more difficult ... all for less money. ...

Blanks In Tests?
Jun 12, 2015

Do they every throw mistakes in for job testing (that need to blank)?  There were no instructions.   ...

How To Find Or Figure Out Blanks
Oct 27, 2009

Hi, I am looking for any ideas or tips that MT's may have as to how to find or figure out blanks. Thank you. ...

Any One Know Number Of Blanks That Can Be Sent To Client
Mar 04, 2010

Have they given a number or will it just be a "gotcha - too many"??? ...

Now They Can See How Many Blanks We Send To Customers
Dec 06, 2010

and apparently can compare it to how many reports we send to QA, and if the number is too high, we'll be gettin a talkin to.  ...

No Instructions On How To Leave Blanks
Dec 15, 2011

Hi, I'm a newbie. If an employer's test instructions say it is not ok to guess, is it ok to leave a "blank" with what you THINK the dr. said? In other words, perhaps like this: <tachycardia>, or is it better not to put what you think he said and just put a plain old blank? any help on this would be great. thanks! ...