A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

good company with benefits for new MT - tla

Posted: Jul 21, 2013

I am currently working at a hospital as a Lab Assistant in Pathology. My job has many different responsibilities, but majority is transcription – which I love! I am trying to decide if I want to try becoming an at home medical transcriptionist. This is a huge decision/risk for me as I have been in my current position since 1999. I used to love my job, but as the years have passed, I have found myself disgusted to go to work. This is due to changes in personnel and too many people not caring about doing their job properly and an large amount of mistakes. I realize we are all humans and I make mistakes as well, but some people just care more about their cell phones/Facebook, etc. I have tried to address these issues, but it is hard to get issues fixed when some of my superiors are guilty of the same. Anyway, now that you know some of my background, I am hoping someone can assist me in which at home companies are good to work for and I need health benefits. I want to be treated as a person, which I hope is not too much to ask for. This forum is quite confusing for new people and I have only found information from years passed so I am hoping for some updated information. Thanks

Are you paid hourly and more than minimum wage? - Soon to be ex-MT

[ In Reply To ..]
If so, I would stay put, especially if you have decent benefits! Please take a little time to read these boards, especially the Nuance and M*Modal Boards over to the left. "At-home MT" has taken a serious nosedive over the past several years. I've been at this for over 25 years and I have finally had enough. I am just about done school and will be leaving MT, along with so many other "seasoned MTs."

If you read the boards, many MTs are barely making minimum wage and every move they make is being monitored/scrutinized. QA seems to have gone crazy at many of these MTSOs, benefits are being cut/eliminated, pay is being decreased, and the list goes on. I would urge you to seriously consider your options before giving up a good thing, meaning an in-house position with benefits and decent pay.

thanks "soon to be ex-MT" - tla

[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you so much for your advice. I get a well above minimum wage hourly pay. I guess good employees get walked all over no matter where you go or who you work for. I just need to stay where I am I suppose and just deal with it and do MY best. I supposed this would be too big of a risk until my kids are grown.

You sound like a wonderful person, but in all honesty... - PetesSake

[ In Reply To ..]
this job is circling the drain. I've been at it about 12 years and have never had a pay increase and benefits were stripped from us, too. Many are on here profoundly upset because the companies they work for treat them like a machine instead of as a human being. The degree of accuracy editing heavy ESL reports is nearly impossible to achieve, and if the MT slows down to improve accuracy, then he/she receives threatening emails that she must reach a certain production quota. Basically, it's become impossible to ever feel valued or successful for many of us.

I agree with the above poster. Please read through things very carefully before trying this. It's pretty much a miserable job now. By the way, I have an interview tomorrow and am getting out! I never thought I'd be doing this, and certainly not this close to retirement, but I need job security and a decent, steady paycheck. I once really loved my job, and I feel a bit of grief and loss, but it is what it is now. We're being rapidly replaced by voice recognition/editing and foreign workers who work for far less than we can, but who have also pulled down our wages and the overall stability of our jobs.

Please don't do it! - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
You sound like you might actually be burnt-out at your current position and might just need a change of scenery/coworkers. Have you tried applying to other hospitals/labs in your area? Or is there perhaps a different position you could take at your current hospital? Don't quit your job to come home and do transcription. I did that, and it was the worst decision I ever made.

Work-at-home transcription - Leaving MT

[ In Reply To ..]
I left my job as well because I was commuting 3+ hours a day and the allure of not having to commute in my big metro area was overwhelming. I had a great MT job for a while (work has dropped off, not enough to work full-time), but even since I have been doing this (2008), the field has taken a nosedive, and I am now training for something else. I wish I had your job!

Just ignore those with a poor work ethic, keep your head high, and keep your - hospital job! nm

[ In Reply To ..]

nm

The only way this could possibly be a - good idea

[ In Reply To ..]
is to try the WAH MT thing as part time or IC. Don't ever, ever, ever give up a hospital job to pursue this. You will live to regret it.

thanks again everyone - tla

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm so glad I asked! I was so excited looking at all these companies at first, but getting information from real people with real honesty and meaningful information is much appreciated. I hate to hear all of you are upset and struggling. You have put a perspective on things. I only have one local hospital in my area though and the only jobs are extreme part time or relief with no benefits. There are not too many jobs to advanced yourself. Hopefully I can eventually get on with the State one day. We will see. Good luck to everyone. Thanks again.

keep your in-house job - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
if possible. Health benefits will be tied to multiple factors and you may end up without or giving over most of your paycheck to pay for it. I used to work in-house in a lab and wish I would have kept up my cert and kept a hand in it. Even back then, there were always loafers/slackers and sloppy people who didn't care about quality, just did my own job well and sometimes theirs, too. I had awesome benefits and regret leaving now. Unless you work for a very small MTSO, you more than likely will never be known as more than a faceless name/number to them, unless you have an in with them somehow. JMHO

Tla, read. Read about all the directions you might - go. In the Information Age, learning by

[ In Reply To ..]
personal experience is...stupid at best. With a decision of this magnitude, though, the years required to learn and admit could literally derail an entire life. A few of the people leaping into this hole didn't have that much in the way of resources to begin with (or they wouldn't have) and will never get back to where they might have been had they taken a different path.

You would never have asked this question if you had educated yourself before you got this far, so you're obviously in danger of hurting yourself badly.

This is a dying field. Even if some jobs continue on, they will be increasingly fewer and always unstable, those who hold them always in danger of finding themselves out in the cold with NO MARKETABLE SKILL.

Move on. Read. The same changes that are bringing the curtain down on this field are creating NEW JOBS with GROWING DEMAND. Find out what those are and start researching them.

Don't do it. Medical transcription as a career - is poised to become nonexistent very soon - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
- very likely by 2014, if not sooner.

STOP! Do not quit your job to go home and do MT. - Being the dept secretary for sm

[ In Reply To ..]
a pathology department is the only sweet spot left in the industry. I have filled in per diem in a local pathology department and I'm convinced of this. Home transcription is almost gone and if not gone, paying minimum wage. My money is on the whole industry being gone in 5 years. Stay put or find another pathology department. There is no home MT left.

If it were me, I would stay. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
Many of us are actually trying to find a job like yours--I'd gladly take the cons of your job over the cons of transcription.

Please don't become a home transcriptionist. You will eventually regret it.

... - tla

[ In Reply To ..]
Thanks. Keep in mind, just because I didn't mention additional cons to my job doesn't mean there are not other issues. I realize every job has ups and downs. I am grateful to have a job that pays well and has benefits. There are a lot of places on the internet that make at home MT sound amazing. I was just trying to see if there is something more beneficial for myself as well as my family. Thanks

good company with benefits for new MT - Nellie

[ In Reply To ..]
I worked in-house for years also as an MT and really liked it. Due to changes at my work place, I tried it at home and am much happier now and still work for the same hospital. We can do it in-house or at home for the same benefits and hospital. I still have to work on the clock and do right by the hospital but it is so quiet and I am more productive. Maybe your employer would let you still work for him/her at home doing their transcription. That's what I'm doing. It's one of the best things I've done for myself, but the good thing is, it's just the same as in-house with time clock, same company, just different environment.

... - tla

[ In Reply To ..]
It would be great if this were possible at my job. The pathologist are contracted through the hospital and I am a hospital employee. I believe the only department that uses at home MT is Medical Records. I will have to keep a look out. I am hoping things get better where I am at now! Thanks and I am glad to see at home MT is working out for someone here. Congrats!

Jobs like yours have become so RARE, that if you - had mentioned your employer"s name, -(sm)

[ In Reply To ..]
it's likely half the MTs on this forum would be breaking their doors down, trying to get in.

Nowadays, most hospitals advertising for on-site MTs only want one or two - to basically help them get their VR trained, or their doctors trained on their new point-n-click EHR, and once things are up and running, the MT gets canned.

I'm sure you know how lucky you are, and must be as grateful as all get-out to be in your position.

One more thing - Nellie

[ In Reply To ..]
Transcription is decreasing due to the electronic medical record. You better not quit your daytime job unless they let you do the transcription part at home because it's hard to make good money for an outsource company I heard.

Similar Messages:

Good Employer With Benefits
Dec 27, 2010

OSI & NUANCE: Please tell me about these companies. What can i expect for per line? For editing? I have 20+ years experience in acute care, radiology and multispecialty. I am a newbie to online work. HELP. TX ...

MQ Benefits - Good Coverage?
Jan 17, 2011

Hi, I'm a bit frustrated right now as MQ Central -Departments-Human Resources - Benefits must be down!  Are there any FT employees who can tell me if MQ benefits are decent?  Thanks for any info.  I have sent several emails and I figured I'd probably get a response faster here first (lol)! ...

At Least Benefits Are Good--hahahahaha
Jul 12, 2011

So, just spent time on line and on the phone to make sure I understand my benefits.  After doing so, I will spend the day deciding whether or not to just quit outright.  Thank God I have nothing serious so far.  The rep told me just don't go to ER if it's anything like cough, etc or I have to pay more.  Told her at this point I won't go to the ER if I have a broken leg!  The hospital where I live must be used to this because they give me choices these day ...

Hands On Transcription - Good, Bad, Pay, Benefits, Anything?
Apr 29, 2012

anyone have any information on this company?  Good, bad, pay, benefits, anything? Thanks in advance ...

Any Good MT Companies That Offer Benefits
Jul 23, 2014

I would like to know if there are any good MT companies that have benefits.  Thank you in advance. ...

Company Benefits Question
Jul 14, 2011

Can anyone tell me about how much per month the benefiits at DiskRiter cost each pay period or per month?  I understand the plan is supposed to be pretty decent, but can anyone enlighten me as to what your portion is?  My policy would be to cover my husband and myself, medical, dental and vision. TIA! ...

Ready To Make A Move To A Company With Medical Benefits. SM
Sep 04, 2012

I have been a medical transcriptionist for 25 years now.  I started young right out of high school and during college, and have been in this profession ever since.  I have always had my own physician clients or worked for small or local transcription services.  I need to make a move soon to a company who offers decent pay and healthcare benefits, as my husband can retire in a few years and I need my own insurance.   I'm younger than my husband, so at age 47 I still have ...

Know Of A Company With Part-timers Allowed Health Benefits?
Oct 26, 2012

x ...

All Type QA - Good Money?? Good Company???
May 24, 2011

I have expierence with QA, although have never been paid production for it. I do enjoy QA more. Does anyone have expierence at All Type in QA? Are they reliable?? Do they pay well? I currently make about 32000/year and need more. Would this be doable? TIA!! ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Company?
Feb 19, 2013

Trying to find somewhere that pays good. Anyone working anywhere that they really like? What about the pay? ...

A GOOD Company.....
May 27, 2014

I'm ready for a change.  I've been with a company for 3 years, have been on upteen different accounts, and I just don't like them. Keeping up with all the extra things you have to do without pay has me soured.  I would love to find a good company and am looking for suggestions.  No IC.  I don't care if it's editing or typing.  Most of the company sites I go to want an app before I can get info.  I would really love a company that w ...

DSG - Are They A Good Company To Work For?
Jan 21, 2010

Does anyone know anything about this company?  Are they a good company to work for? (Documentation Services Group)  DSG  Thanks ...

Keystrokes - They Are A Good Company Or Not?
Oct 10, 2010

Anyone know anything about Keystrokes whether they are a good company or not? ...

Keystrokes - A Good Company Gone Bad Sm
Apr 03, 2011

KS seems to be getting lower and lower in the popularity with emplooyees test. I worked for them once but left for the reasons everyone is talking about.  There was no communication. The owner was never truthful and everyone is afraid of her because of her horrible temper tantrums. The accounts are overstaffed - you might get put on another account but it will be overstaffed too. The only accounts that are not overstaffed are the terrible ones that no one wants to work on and it is imp ...

Medscribe Anything Good Or Bad About This Company?
Jan 18, 2012

Anyone know anything good or bad about this company?  Are they employee based only or do they hire IC? ...

IS THERE ANY GOOD COMPANY TO WORK FOR??
Feb 29, 2012

I have been looking for a new company to switch to and I have been looking for some advice by posts in this forum; however, all I see are negative comments about various companies. Are there any good companies out there? I'm especially looking for one that has good pay, actually has a good QA/QC department who can actually speak the english language and competent supervisors. Please let me know!! ...

Can Someone Please Recommend A Good Company
Mar 02, 2012

Is Lofin A Good Company
Apr 17, 2012

Offered an IC position with IntelliType.  Don't know anyone who has worked for them.  Any comments? ...

A Good Company To Work For
May 11, 2012

Is there one single MT company that are looking to hire MTs that pay a decent wage and are good to their employees? I would like to find a job at a good company! ...

Any Good Company's Out There, Anyone Happy Where They Are?
May 23, 2012

I am unhappy and have been for quite awhile with the company I am with.  I am wondering if anyone has found any company they truly think are worth the effort of working for. I have over 20 years experience and I am not eager to jump from job to job, but it seems there are so many company's out there that are really, really bad.  Any input would be wonderful, I would like to find either PT or FT with my experience being mostly clinic setting but strong oncology, OB/GYN, urology, or ...

ImedX -- Good Company Or Not???
May 23, 2012

I have been offered a job with this company.  Does anybody know anything about them???  I have heard they are fairly OK to work for -- good platform and about average pay 8 cpl for straight type and 4 cpl for SR.   Anyway just wanting to hear from somebody who is currently working there.   thanks so much.  I appreciate your comments, good or bad.   ...

M*Modal - Anything Good To Say About This Company?
Jun 13, 2012

Anything good to say about this company?  They are advertising for acute care FT home based.  Anyone know the line rate?  I understand they pay Radiology reports by report, anyone know that rate?  Anyone been with them more than a year?  What about the sign on bonus?  Anyone ever receive that? ...

A GOOD Company To Work For?
Sep 12, 2012

I've been an IC for 8 years, and I want to make the switch to employee status (need medical insurance).  It seems that I have come across A LOT of negitivity about every company that I have considered applying for.  My question is, who is really happy with the company they work for?  ...

Anyone Know Of A Good Company That Uses InScribe?
Feb 25, 2013

Does anyone know of a good company that uses InScribe? Polite, decent people to work for/with are more important to me than high pay in a company.  Thank you.  As always, appreciate the good people here and helpful feedback.  ...

TransTech- Good Company
Nov 19, 2013

I've been with TransTech for about 2 years, but I'm going to back to working with people now that I'm not having to deal with military moves anymore. I thought I'd pass along to the job hunters that TransTech is a good place- they pay on time, have a good work load consistently, and not too much ESL. It's not for you if you don't want to commit to 40 hours or work a few holidays, but it's an honest gig that you can make a living with. ...

Recommend A Good Company
Sep 17, 2014

Can someone recommend a good company to work for? Possibly someone that has benefits but not required.   Thanks! ...

Good Company To Work With
Nov 04, 2014

any references for a company that is good to work for or with?  I see so many that are telling you to stay away from them.  I guess it is hard to find a good one! ...

Finding Out You're Not A Good Fit For The Company.
Nov 11, 2014

Has anyone ever went to work for a company and struggled?  I have tons of experience and done this kind of work for years, but I started with a particular company and seems I am making a ton of stupid mistakes.  This has EVEN HAPPENED WITH PROOFREADING the report once finished!!  I double-check myself only to see something ridiculous and can't believe I did that and know I proofread the document. The last time this happened to me was when I worked for a company that obviousl ...

Who's A Good Company To Work PT For?
Nov 24, 2014

I have a full-time job and am looking to work 8-15 hours a week for another company.  Any recommendations out there of who has current openings?  Most of what I'm seeing on the job boards is full-time.   ...

Keystrokes Good Company To Work For?
Jan 05, 2010

Can anyone tell me how Keystrokes pays and if they are a good company to work for? ...