A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Nuance health ins versus Obamacare - 1verytiredMT

Posted: Feb 11, 2015

May be a silly question, but can't seem to get an answer. Can we cancel health benefits with Nuance at any time? Or is it only once a year? Can we drop it and get Obamacare instead? From what I have heard from friends, I would have much better coverage going with Obamacare instead of Nuance.

Have you - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Contact your State health exchange and ask them.

2. Talk to Nuance HR if you get positive news from State exchange rep.

No one can really give you advice--you have to do your own research for your situation.

Deadline is Feb. 15 for Open Enrollment sm - Notahappycamper

[ In Reply To ..]
through the Affordable Care Act, so if you are thinking about it you need to do so quickly. The plans vary from region to region so you have to check through your state exchange and if your state does not have an exchange, you will have to check on the national website. Best of luck in your decision. It is very sad that a stock market company like Nuance does not take care of its employees, particularly since they are ALL ABOUT PATIENT CARE!!!!!

I think Pres Obama is trying to shame Staples - over exact same issue.

[ In Reply To ..]
Maybe this is our chance to bring attention to our plight, how a once honorable profession afforded one the ability to live above poverty and now we are losing our homes, filing bankruptcy, our health is failing, we're stressed out to the max, some of us qualify for food stamps, we have to shop at the Goodwill, our kids go without winter boots, our wages are being stolen right out from under our noses, they're sending American medical information to India, etc.

We need a union, sm - Notahappycamper

[ In Reply To ..]
Many have said that unions did not help the MTs who worked at hospitals that were taken over. However, we are now the end of the line because there is no one else to take over Nuance, so a union would help us and that is all we have left to help us. Many say Nuance will just outsource all work to India, but they cannot because many of their facilities do not want their work sent overseas. Only a union has enough money and lobbyists to bring this to national attention.

Other poster is right, you have to check for your own sitch... - but I will tell you what mine is....

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm in CA, work 20 hours per week. I make just the threshold of $15,500 so I qualify for free healthcare. If you make more, you can get GREAT subsidies to help you pay for one of the plans. In my opinion, at least in CA and probably ALL states, Obamacare is a far better deal than Nuance, both in premiums AND the scope of the care. Nuance's SUCKS so it's not that hard to be better. But definitely check your own states health exchange. Then take the steps the other poster suggested.

I meant I make "just UNDER the threshold...." - n/m

[ In Reply To ..]
x

OBAMACARE ..CHECK KAISER FAMILY FOUNDATION CALCULATOR - it will give you a good picture of cost

[ In Reply To ..]
One thing to know is that as you get older the premiums go up sharply. That is one aspect of Obamacare that the health ins. companies did not have to equal out. The only way to know how much you will pay is to use that calculator or the official calculator for your state. I like to use the Kaiser family one first since you do not have to put in any personal info...a good estimator and quick.

I am older and premiums are very high, deductibles are very high. So I chose a bronze plan that is HSA (health savings account) qualified. My premiums are 84$ per month with no benefits up front except preventative care, 6350$ DEDUCTIBLE. 6350 YEARLY MAX. But I can put money in the HSA tax free to use on my health care. Not a good plan for someone that goes to the doctor a lot (I do not) but covers you if you get cancer or hit by a bus. then that 6350. probably does not seem so bad.

If you have "qualifying" health insurance coverage at work - you cannot take Obamacare.

[ In Reply To ..]
Your health care exchange might be able to tell you if Nuance insurance is a "qualifying health plan." If you are above 30 hours? thereby qualifying for Nuance health coverage and if it IS a qualifying plan, then you cannot choose Obamacare. You could drop down below 30? hours and then qualify. Hey...you could pick up part-time work with another transcription company and kill 2 birds with one stone...qualify for Obamacare and have a back-up company to work for! Sound good?

That is true up to a point...but if your premiums would - be over a certain percentage

[ In Reply To ..]
of your income (I want to say 9% but unsure of that) - then you don't have to accept that employer's insurance.

Unfortunately, the cost check is based on single - coverage so if you need

[ In Reply To ..]
family coverage (way out of reach at Nuance), that cost is not figured in. Nuance makes sure their single coverage is considered "affordable" under this.

Similar Messages:

Health Information Technology Program Versus Just CODING
May 19, 2010

Does a Health Information Technology Degree Program that also includes ICD-9 coding, etc., put you in a better career position than just learning Coding alone? ...

Nuance Health Insurance
Nov 09, 2012

Please correct me if I am wrong, but from what I have heard this insurance plan (BC/BS?) does not cover primary care office visits until you reach a 2500 dollar deductible, no copay anymore, paying for the whole visit??  I thought all insurance companies had us pay a copay, not the whole cost of the office visit.  What about prescriptions, do we pay the full price for them now too, or is it still about a 15 dollar copay?  I am left wondering how they got this kind of insuranc ...

Nuance - Harmful To Your Health
Apr 17, 2013

Just saying to all of you there who struggle daily with loss of self-esteem and income.  There is a better life.  They nearly killed me with stress. ...

Obamacare
May 18, 2015

Has anyone been able to make any sense of Obamacare as a replacement for the lovely Nuance BCBS health insurance?  Can we qualify for Obamacare if we QUIT our job at Nuance?  I am hoping that falls into some sort of special enrollment period.  Thanks and BEST OF LUCK to all you special, highly talented QCEs and MLSs.  ...

Was Hoping To Get Health Insurance With Nuance, But...
May 30, 2012

I have been part time with Transcend for over 5 years now and no health benefits and now they are having open enrollment.  I thought Nuance would take that over and give PT people health insurance.  I guess that was being too hopeful, right?? ...

What Company Is Nuance Health Insurance Thru?
Oct 04, 2012

nm ...

Nuance QC Versus QA
Aug 13, 2012

By reading some of the posts on here, it looks like QC position is lower than QA position and even possibly lower than a Team Lead position.  Could someone clarify this? Also, does anyone know what hourly rate may be like for the QC position?  Thanks so much, Transcender being assimilated. ...

Does Anyone Know How Much Health Insurance Costs With Nuance For 1 Person?
Mar 07, 2012

I know there is a 2500 deductible, just wondering about the cost for one employee to have insurance for herself per paycheck or monthly.  Thanks! ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

Nuance Versus Transcend?
Jun 23, 2011

Any thoughts on these 2 companies? Which one would you consider to be the lesser of 2 evils? TIA! ...

Transcend Versus Nuance
Dec 14, 2011

I am thinking about both Nuance and Transcend.  Does anyone like working for Nuance?  Does anyone have any advice?  Left MQ - looking for something better. ...

Allscripts Versus Nuance??
Oct 17, 2013

Who is Allscripts. Are they competitors with Nuance, are they part of Nuance? One of my accounts just got bought out earlier this month, now I just read the new owners have signed with Allscripts in an official press release.  Just wondering what this all means. Any ideas? ...

IMedX Versus Nuance
Feb 06, 2014

I have been offered a position with both companies and I have heard some really rough things about Nuance and was wondering if anyone had the choice between these two which one would you choose? ...

TransTech Versus Nuance?
Apr 01, 2014

Hello, fellow MTs!  I have been working for Nuance as an MT for 4 years, and becoming progressively dissatisfied with them.  I noticed that TransTech is hiring.  Can anyone tell me how they compare?  I already emailed their recruiting department, but would like to get some feedback here as well. Thanks!! Julie ...

Nuance Versus Keystrokes
Nov 03, 2014

Who has worked at both of these companies? Compare the two. There is so much negativity on this board, it almost makes every company sound bad except one. I would like just a factual comparison on the work, the pay, etc. :) ...

Does Nuance Offer Health Insurance To Part Timers?
Feb 23, 2012

Does anyone know if Nuance offers health insurance for part-time employees?  If so, approximately how much does it cost? ...

Is Obamacare Going To Affect Coding In A Negative Way? Nm
Jan 12, 2015

x ...

Opinions On M-Modal Versus Nuance.
Jul 09, 2012

Working right now for NTS (lots of dirt here), but would like some honest opinions on M-Modal.  They sent me an email wanting me to test (as i am sure they have many others), and today I got an automated phone call from them.  Anyone know if this would be an improvement?  Thanks! ...

Mmodal Versus Nuance...any Advice?
Oct 03, 2012

Your Opinions, Please, On Passage Of Obamacare By The Supreme Court!!
Jun 28, 2012

Will MTs become dinosaurs?  Will everything be point-and-click by the doctors and traditional dictation become a thing of the past?  I've been using IntraScript for my doctors' dictation for many years now.  Will these types of digital platforms become obsolete? I admit I'm worried.  I'm the sole support of my family. All opinions are appreciated, and I look forward to reading each one.... ...

Did Mmodal Hire Fired Obamacare Techs For Fluency?
Feb 25, 2014

Down up down up, can't upload, try again. Not able to search. Seriously getting frustrating. ...

MT Pay Versus What Nuance Charges Per Line For Hospital Reports
Jun 07, 2014

Does anyone know or maybe even make an educated guess...how much a hospital might pay per line to have Nuance do their reports?  We are guessing somewhere .12 to .15 upwards to .20/line.   Of course they are claiming that this will save them all sorts of money and we'd like to know if they are really going to save as much as they think they are.  Oh...and did I mention that Nuance said they wouldn't be sending anything to anyone who didn't speak English ou ...

Nuance: Speech Recognition Versus Transcription Line Counts
May 13, 2012

As I was working today I thought about speech versus transcription, and it occurred to me that I was transcribing a good deal in each speech report I "edited." Why is transcription done for a full report paid any differently than transcription done in a speech report? In other words, why don't I get paid my transcription line count for the characters I am transcribing in a speech report, particularly since a great deal of these speech reports require almost re-transcribing completely due to ...

Could Anyone Who Has An HRA (health Reimbursement Arrangement) Type Of Health Care
May 04, 2010

tell me how that works?  I know the insurance premiums are less than a regular health plan.  If your  company puts 500 in your account, does that mean the first few times, for example, until you use up the 500, you don't pay ANYTHING or is it the opposite...you pay the entire office visit cost until you reach that 500?  I would be so grateful for any information about this type of plan.  TIA ...

End Point Versus Endpoint And Hand Grip Versus Handgrip
Mar 13, 2012

Two words that come up often for questioning.  These are strictly used in an orthopedic setting.  Stedman's and Dorland's list end point and hand grip HOWEVER the office transcription manager,  girl is asking for me to correct this to endpoint and handgrip. She is only basing this on what an old medical transcription company she used to work for had her typing. I would rather base it on the  medical reference. The doctors are not even aware this has come up. She is ...

Wmx/nuance Paycut Meeting,listen To Tape Shut Up Or QUIT, Nuance Attitude?
Dec 12, 2011

According to a poster below which has apparently already attended one of the payroll meetings (as the poster posted) for nuance they have decided to keep the incentive part of all of our pay going with an exception that now you have to have over the industry standard of 98% to get a production based incentive. In addition (if this poster is accurate) they have again cut the overall pay from 8 and 4 to 3 3/4 AND 7 1/2. This is nothing but a bunch of crapploa...an MT who is now getting ...

Health Insurance For SE
Oct 14, 2009

Hey folks.  Does anyone know of a group health insurance coverage I can get even with preexisting issues?  My company doesn't offer it.  I've thought of switching companies but all the other ones sound so awful.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated. ...

Health Ins. And Production
Nov 09, 2009

If you don't make your production in any given pay period, do they drop your insurance?   Do they give you a warning? ...

Kaleida Health
Mar 16, 2010

Does anyone know who took over the account for the Kaleida Health Group in the Buffalo New York area?  Nightingale Informatix out of Canada previously had the account but recently lost it. ...

United Health
May 02, 2010

I have a good friend who left the Q and is working in a doctor's office.  They have to confirm insurance coverage ON some of their patients.  While doing so, she had to contact United Health.  The call was answered in INDIA!!! ...