A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Is Obamacare going to affect coding in a negative way? nm - Sam

Posted: Jan 12, 2015

x

Why would you think that? - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
NM

I have always heard that the reason...sm - Sam

[ In Reply To ..]
transcription was needed in the USA is because our medical care is insurance based and the doctors required a report in order to get paid, but that it was not the same in other countries with socialized medicine. I don't necessarily think Obamacare will impact the coding profession negatively, just wondering and looking for opinions.

That really has not been a concern. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
That really has not been a topic of discussion in the healthcare community anywhere. I wouldn't worry about it.

I don't want to get into a pointless argument about obamacare, either, but I will say that if it is socialized medicine, it is not the same kind of socialized medicine in other developed nations.

Typed reports are not required for billing. They could be scrawled in ball point pen, and some are, but they are there for patient care, not for billing. Coders can read cursive handwriting, too, you know.

Getting paid by insurers is not going to get easier under obamacare. It will become more difficult. That will increase the demand and worth of folks who can code, regardless of their job function.

I am amazed that it hasn't already.... - had an affect on coding

[ In Reply To ..]
If the doctor can enter a diagnosis on the computer, why doesn't the code automatically come up - I know it's been almost 4 decades since I did coding in a small hospital, and I know that it has become much more complex than it was back then. I also know that insurance carriers often require a written copy of the patient's records to determine exactly what was done and whether the insurance will cover or how it will cover a particular procedure -
The medical transcription field did go down the tubes because of Obamacare and the original billions of dollars that were paid out in grants to clinics and hospitals so buy the equipment for the electronic medical record - these hospitals and clinics are now stuck with the equipment and are doing the best they can to get by because they can't afford to go back to in-house transcriptionists because they have so much invested in the electronic equipment.

Why that is not the case - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
A lot changed in 40 years. Medical coding involves more than plopping in some code number to match every big medical word in a list of diagnoses. Coding is a lot more complicated today.

Insurers might require a copy of the record, but in general do not except in certain circumstances, or if the provider has very poor coding accuracy.

EHRs were not mandated by Obamacare. They predate it by quite awhile.

The cost of EHRs has nothing to do with MT. MTs can still work within an EHR system.

Medical transcription was down the tubes long before Obamacare - positions outsourced and offshored

[ In Reply To ..]
YEARS ago.

Coding - Chavera

[ In Reply To ..]
Why would it? More people gaining access to healthcare is going to mean more work, not less.

Coding in the Future - Denise

[ In Reply To ..]
It will eventually be affected just as the mandates on electronic medical records (EMR). My brother-in-law is a physician and he told me over Christmas that his practice has purchased the preliminary portion of the software that recognizes the diagnoses that are input into the system and when he dictates the Discharge Summary it spits out a completed insurance claim and it is electronically submitted to the insurance company. So in one sitting, the physician will be able to electronically create the report and the insurance claim all in one fail swoop. It's unbelievable how many jobs this is taking away from people like us. I am giving one more MT company a shot, but when I leave this one that's it for me. I'm done....U-N-C-L-E!!!! Guess I will go to work for an insurance company auditing claims. Have to take a course but I have to do something. Good luck!

Working for an insurance company auditing claims - IS CODING.

[ In Reply To ..]
So much for it going away. Ho hum.

Physicians have always done their own coding, which is why someone has to hound them with audits. That is why we call that type of job "billing," not "coding."

You may think we do that kind of a job, but we do not.

Similar Messages:

Negative Feedback Regarding Augusta Coding And Transcription
May 09, 2012

I have been reading all of the negative feedback about Augusta Coding and Transcription and I am so upset.  I have been with this company for almost two years and have thoroughly enjoyed every minute of it.  They have been the most flexible and easiest people to work with in the world.  There are monthly fees for platform and direct deposit, about $13 per pp,  but that is what being an Independent Contractor is all about.  I have not worked for a company yet that doesnt charge anything. ...

Apprehension Test Is Negative. *Falk* Sign Is Negative. Speed Test Is Negative. Thanx. Nm
Nov 30, 2011

nm ...

His Hips Have Symmetric Abduction. Galeazzi Is Negative. Provocative Exam (s/l V-CHIP) Is Negative
Dec 04, 2011

TIA :-) ...

Obamacare
May 18, 2015

Has anyone been able to make any sense of Obamacare as a replacement for the lovely Nuance BCBS health insurance?  Can we qualify for Obamacare if we QUIT our job at Nuance?  I am hoping that falls into some sort of special enrollment period.  Thanks and BEST OF LUCK to all you special, highly talented QCEs and MLSs.  ...

Negative McMurray. Negative S/l Rosling Or Roswing
Feb 28, 2013

Negative McMurray.  Negative s/l Rosling or Roswing ...

What Happens When Obamacare Starts In 2014?
Apr 02, 2011

I was wondering what my fellow MTs think is going to happen starting 2014 when Obamacare kicks in.  I had read an article in the NY Post a while back that 74% of MDs surveyed plan to work part time, retire from medicine, or go in a new direction careerwise.  Do you think we'll see a decrease in work available, even SR editing work?  Do you think that if a great amount of MDs cut back or retire from medicine that would cause our profession to lessen in demand? ...

Nuance Health Ins Versus Obamacare
Feb 11, 2015

May be a silly question, but can't seem to get an answer. Can we cancel health benefits with Nuance at any time? Or is it only once a year? Can we drop it and get Obamacare instead? From what I have heard from friends, I would have much better coverage going with Obamacare instead of Nuance. ...

Your Opinions, Please, On Passage Of Obamacare By The Supreme Court!!
Jun 28, 2012

Will MTs become dinosaurs?  Will everything be point-and-click by the doctors and traditional dictation become a thing of the past?  I've been using IntraScript for my doctors' dictation for many years now.  Will these types of digital platforms become obsolete? I admit I'm worried.  I'm the sole support of my family. All opinions are appreciated, and I look forward to reading each one.... ...

Did Mmodal Hire Fired Obamacare Techs For Fluency?
Feb 25, 2014

Down up down up, can't upload, try again. Not able to search. Seriously getting frustrating. ...

Stupid Ortho - Negative Spurling, Negative S/l "ver Meets"
Nov 13, 2009

thanks for any help! ...

ORTHO HELP: Negative [s/l Fair] Sign, Negative Fabere Sign?
Jun 02, 2012

OK.....   It's an orthopedic chart note. Patient has a chief complaint of  hip pain. Dictated: He has a negative [s/l fair, fairs, varus?] sign, a negative fabere sign. It doesn't sound like fadir; I'm not hearing that "d." I already had to leave two medication blanks and hate to leave another one for an orthopedic sign that I feel like I should know! Thank you in advance for your help and ideas!   ...

Pt Has Negative Froment's Sign And Negative S/l Jean Sign.
Sep 14, 2010

x ...

Negative Finkelstein's. Negative "CMC Gram." Not Sure On This, Anyone?? TIA!
Dec 02, 2014

nm ...

Affect And ?? Appear Appropriate
Jul 22, 2010

"Gait and coordination are intact.  Affect and ----- appear appropriate."  Almost sounds like "episode."  Part of a regular physical examination. You can tell I've been stuck on Ortho for a year, because I've forgotten how to do physical examinations.  Ugh. ...

Effect Or Affect?
Nov 11, 2009

1) The patient will be given medication to effect bowel movement prior to discharge today.   OR--   2) The patient will be given medication to affect bowel movement prior to discharge today. ...

Affect Vs Effect ?
Nov 24, 2009

Just finishing up the night shift and want to go to bed and let the Sudafed take me away.  I'm thinking it's affect (the noun), but just want some input to be sure (overtired paranoia setting in).  Of course, this is the last note of the night too.  If I weren't tired, I know I wouldn't be doubting myself.  I have given her a note to that affect. - or - I have given her a note to that effect. Thanks! ...

Side Affect
Dec 21, 2009

She has severe arthritis in the hips which is chronic and was attributed to previous use of steroids and due to cause (divedious). What could this word be? Does anyone know? ...

Affect/Effect
Jun 10, 2010

The doc I work for frequently says "and he will increase the dosage until he experiences exessive side effects or good affect." I know the first "side effects" is correct, but I believe the later he means "good effect" and he just says it incorrectly, but I question myself each time. Is there anyone who can clarify this for me? I am most appreciative! ...

Affect And Effect
Oct 08, 2010

Significant artifact affecting the resting phase of the study. Is this correct or should it be effecting?  This is not a test. It is an actual report I am doing this morning.  My mind is shot. ...

Affect Or Effect
Apr 05, 2011

Is there an easy way to know if you should use affect or effect? ...

Affect Vs. Effect
Feb 11, 2012

I have been an MT for years and years and years (not telling my age haha) but I still to this day have the hardest time with affect versus effect...anyone have any genious tips on which to use when would be greatly appreciated??? For instance:  It is hard to determine what affect/effect the medication will have or how it will affect/effect the patient's outcome. The only one I am really positive about is when it has to do with the patient's affect. Thanks you are all the best ...

How ICD-10 Will Affect Transcription
Sep 04, 2013

Just wanted some thoughts on this article with regards to transcription. Scroll down to How Will The New System Help... http://www.m-scribe.com/blog/bid/214013/Medical-Documentation-and-Coding-Demand-Will-Increase-with-ICD-10 ...

Affect Appears To Be Somewhat Elusive?
Mar 03, 2010

Does this make sense?   The patient's affect appears to be somewhat elusive. This is what it sounds like he is saying. tia. ...

Effect Verses Affect
May 24, 2010

"no mass affect was noted."  Is it affect or effect?  ...

Will Obama's New Employment Law Affect MQ?
Jul 24, 2010

It has to do with requiring employers to reveal employees' salaries regarding sex, race and national origin of employees.  Will this mean MQ will have to pay the Indians more?  How about paying us more fairly?  Any thoughts on this? ...

Wonder How The Webmedx Layoffs Will Affect
Sep 02, 2010

I wonder if this is an "open the floodgates" kind of thing and will have a domino effect and more companies (like Medquist) will start laying off, too. Anybody have any comment on this? ...

Mass Effect Or Affect? Nm
Aug 14, 2012

Did This Affect Hourly Employees At All?
Dec 11, 2012

x ...

Affect/Effect Drives Me Bonkers...anyone Have A
Apr 06, 2010

nm ...

I Wonder How The New Health Care Bill Will Affect Our Jobs?
Nov 08, 2009

I.e., how will Medquist use the new bill to their benefit? ...