A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Wouldn't this solve the problem? - Bee

Posted: Jul 31, 2012

...If HIPAA laws clearly stated medical records of United States citizens could not be sent out of the country...wouldn't that be protecting the client better AND keeping jobs in America?

Why won't they?  They have their laws on everything else!

HIPAA laws/HITECH - me

[ In Reply To ..]
Much of the work is not sent "out of the country." It's actually housed on servers here in the US. So that sort of shoots that argument in the foot.

Do some research. India has it's own version of HIPAA/HITECH.

IMO, your information is at the same risk whether it's being accessed by an MT in the US or an MT in India.

Show some loyalty! Nothing is stopping - Just me

[ In Reply To ..]
an offshore MT from breaching confidentiality. In the US people can be severely punished civilly. Way to go, defending countries that steal our jobs and help undercut our pay. The fact remains, USA law cannot be enforced overseas. No matter what laws India or any other country has, there's no guarantee that USA patients' rights will be enforced there.

and they haven't been lest we forget the extortion cases - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
there were at least 2 cases overseas where MTs tried to extort money based off of medical records they had access to.

I know some people in LA peeked at med records of Brit Spears and sold info, however, those were not MT's.

Nothing will stop our jobs from going overseas at this point. However, just as is happening in China right now, their wages will continue to rise until they want just as much as we do (a whopping 4 cpl).

Of course by then we will no longer exist and then where will they be. Oh, right, Speech Wreck will be perfect by then and they will no longer need human beings, sure, that's going to happen.

With all due respect, your anger is misdirected. - incognito

[ In Reply To ..]
Be angry at the powers that be here in the US who offshore our work to make a bigger buck than they already do off our backs. The workers in India just want to earn a living and eat, too. It's not their fault. I blame corporate American greed. May it bite them in the arse somehow, someday.
My anger is appropriately placed. I agree with you. - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't blame someone in India for wanting to feed their kids.

I completely blame the greedy corporate fat cats.

However, you cannot deny there were those 2 publisized cases of foreign MTs tryign to extort people and those were just the one's we heard about. Ethics differ from culture to culture.
sheesh. Ethics differ from household to household. - no message
[ In Reply To ..]
--
And from MT to MT, as well as senses of decency, as constantly - demonstrated on these boards. NM
[ In Reply To ..]
x

Please educate yourself - not be emotional

[ In Reply To ..]
You have to look at this from a realistic and FACTUAL POV not an emotional one. The Indians didn't "TAKE" our jobs, Americans GAVE them the jobs.

The reality is they work on our "soil" by virtue of working through our servers.

They ARE accountable for breaches and you have a lot fewer from them than you've had from us.

I'm not being disloyal, I'm being honest. I've done my homework. Time a few of you consider doing that too and stop coming at this from a purely emotional place, that just clouds the TRUTH.
Speaking of emotional - anon
[ In Reply To ..]
Your posts come across as very emotional as well, perhaps more so than those of the people who are simply upset that their ability to earn a living has been greatly impacted by sending work offshore.

I get where the people losing jobs are coming from, but I am slightly confused by your posts and the vehemence with which you express yourself.

Concern over losing the ability to provide for our families merits a little emotion. I have no qualms about my loyalty being to my own country and would prefer not to be continually chastised for a perfectly logical stance on the subject.
If they indeed work on our soil, wouldn't they have to pay - OUR TAXES?
[ In Reply To ..]
They dont work on our soil.
Again, you're not addressing the issue - me
[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't say they worked on our soil. The complaint was about our records "leaving" the country. Our records don't "leave" the country.

Of course someone sitting in Bombay is not working on our soil. That's not even logical. They are accessing the work product which resides on our soil.

Global economy is here to stay. Time is better spent trying to figure out how to make it work for you than lamenting the past that will not return.

OK, so... - Bee

[ In Reply To ..]
...to get back to my original question...let me rephrase...if HIPAA said only Americans could access American records due to possible breeches of confidentiality, wouldn't THAT solve the problem?

...also, yesterday, I read an article that talked about various work being sent overseas, and it offended me that the work was described as "unskilled." I don't think MTs are unskilled at all.

...I wish no harm to Indians, and I have respect for them trying to earn a living, but it seems American medical records should stay here OR ONLY BE ACCESSED here. Not the same as a factory that puts together toys in my opinion.

one more thought... - Bee

[ In Reply To ..]
India is GIGANTIC...I realize they do not have decent healthcare overall, but do they not have their own records to transcribe? Maybe they don't have to keep records? I am admittedly ignorant about their laws...does someone know?

Similar Messages:

Okay, VR Experts Help Me Solve This One:)
Aug 31, 2010

I am open to VR and have done it before at my previous job with the same software, dictatphone, and do not find dictaphone bad to do VR at all. The problem is, with this job that I have now, I have been killing myself, I cannot get over 500 lines per day doing VR, and all the accounts are VR.  The reason I cannot get above 500 lines is for every job that is a letter, consult, DS, PT, memo, or review, I have to create a new visit ID, look up the physicians ID and location, create that visit ...

Landmark MTs: Let's Try To Solve The Puzzle (sm)
Apr 04, 2013

About two weeks ago I was told the decreased work on the rad/onc account I was on was decreased because they all went to VR. However, the work had not that decreased that much. Then I was told I would move to a new hem/onc account starting the end of March. I was then told that there was a delay in that account starting. I was then told I'd start an ER account and K would install an older version of ExText this week. So far no contact. I'm curious to know how others with LM ar ...

Anyone At Nuance Really Want To Solve The Problems
Mar 08, 2015

Get rid of bad managers and bad HR people instead of promoting them or moving them. Stop encouraging recruiters to lure people in on falsehoods, would be a good place to start. Find people with integrity willing to tell the truth. ...

Today Told I New More RAM...will That Solve The Problem?
Oct 14, 2010

Fellowettes:  Finally got support to desktop-enter my PC.  But I am wondering, since they updated it to the 3rd and latest upgrade and it is still acting up, wonder if RAM upgrade has worked for anyone.  It would seem that if this is the correct info to "fix" the upgrade, it should be disseminated in a MQ web-wide message.  I know that the majority of MQ's MTs (that is what we still are) would work to solve the problem and be part of the solution.  D ...

You Wouldn't Believe What I Have To Do Where I Work
Aug 16, 2010

I've been employed by an orthopedic surgery practice for about 6 years now. I think it was after the first year, I started having to compose office notes from the paperwork the patient filled out (all of their history), plus the templates the provider filled out.  I hated it and protested to my office manager. Then gave up, then about a year later I asked her to talk to the doctor about his hand writing to no avail. One doctor never made me read his writing, he would fill out the templ ...

Wouldn't It Be Great
Mar 16, 2012

wouldn't it be really great if there was some sort of email address for us to contact our hospitals directly...without the M*Modal propaganda?  We could say "Dear Dr. ___, I understand you are really busy and dictation is low on your priority list, but if you could take an extra moment and clearly articulate your dictation, the reports would come back to you with less questions and/or errors."   I know...I know...quit dreaming.  It is really sunny and warm outside my window ...

They Wouldn't Have To Demand
Oct 02, 2012

they would put people on their strength worktypes and specialities instead of put us on what we are the weakest at and then complain b/c they are constantly out of TAT.  Just amazing to me how we were asked what our strengths and weaknesses were and after that email, I was put on my weakest out of everything.  Perhaps I am the only one to realize that if you were given the work that you are strongest at, you would be able to go through it faster, but not with Nuance, they seem to thin ...

Wouldn't It Be More Efficient
Jul 31, 2013

To have the doctor, RN, resident, or whomever is doing the dicatation to do the demos rather than the MLS slaves?  I mean, since they are getting paid a living wage (unlike the MLS slaves) and they already have all the pertinent info, like business entity, location, signing, etc, why aren't THEY selecting the copy requests, etc. from their own little drop-down lists, instead of having the hapless MLS slaves searching all over creation for a doctor they misspelled or mispronounced. &nbs ...

Wouldn't Have Been Nice If . . .
Jan 02, 2014

If corporate realized how hard and difficult our job is and perhaps, at the very least, wiished us a Happy Holiday season and thanked us for all we do?  And rhen I woke up and smelled the coffee. ...

Wouldn't It Be Better To Take An Online
Mar 11, 2014

ICD-10 course rather than be required to stay with them for 2 additional years after the apprenticeship, working whatever shift they feel like sticking you with?  I feel like the difference in the amount of money you'd be making in those 2 years with them versus anywhere else would more than pay for an online course.  I'm not seeing the draw to this. ...

I Wouldn't Mind
May 01, 2015

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO HARD!!!!???   i specifically got up today to log on for the hour of MOT.  then i see an email that says we don't need it, but its vague.  then another email says, we need it, but not until after 3 central time.  i even tried pulling in a 3:30 to 4 time from the swap board but it wouldn't let me.  my shift starts at 4.  so i wrote and said i'd just log in and do it and forget the swap board, but i'm told feel ...

Wouldn't It Be Nice?
May 26, 2015

if MModal would do just one thing....ONE THING...to make our jobs easier.  i swear they sit around and see what they can do to make everything single tiny little thing as hard as possible.  right now i'm talking about that freakin' time card and trying to enter PTO based on our NJA down time.  to make the times match up, i guess i just lie and make up times, just to play their stupid little make everything harder game. ...

Wouldn't It Make Sense
Mar 16, 2010

When you have a report that is with a difficult dictator and within the first few lines you have a blank you know you are going to send to QA - if the report is long and there are a few other blanks you might have to leave but might be able to get if you spent time researching, wouldn't it be better to not even waste time researching those blanks since all the lines are being counted toward your 5% submission rate - it would seem that it would be best to do the rest of the report as quickly ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Wouldn't You Love To Say This To Your Supervisor?
Jul 19, 2013

It Wouldn't Bother Me To Get Accounts From All
Oct 28, 2014

They would just make the formats for all work types the SAME across the board.  It's NOT the changing of dictators/facilities that is so difficult...it's the having to check 1 thousand different sets of account rules!!!  UGH! ...

Serioulsy, Wouldn't It Have Been Easier To Just Tell Us SM
Dec 17, 2014

they were going to pay us 7 cpl?  From just glancing through the posts here that is what everybody is basically saying.  Did anyone make more than that?  I for one am NOT going to approve my timecard because I DON'T APPROVE!    I'm still up in the air on whether I will finish out this week or not.  ...

I Wish They Wouldn't Send Productivity Statistics...
May 03, 2012

It just ticks me off and makes me feel stalked.  I find it extremely negative and not helpful at all. ...

Please No Flaming But Wondering Why They Wouldn't Just Lay Off People Who Are
Apr 04, 2013

If it is all about saving money, it seems to me that people who get medical insurance costs MM money. Strange laying off part timers as they don't get medical insurance or any benefits.  Not saying I want anyone laid off but just think it is strange as they are so cheap. ...

With All The KS Bashing Here Any Time Anyone Mentions Them, I Wouldn't Be Surprised
Oct 04, 2011

This is how it went for Webmedx a few months before they sold to Nuance.  I sure hope not, because I love my job and do not want to go back to working for Medquist. ...

How Do I Contact The Moderators? Tried To Send Message, But It Wouldn't Go Through...sm
Nov 23, 2011

A box appeared and said to type in characters, but there were no characters that appeared?  If the moderators wish to contact me at the above e-mail address, that will be fine. ...

Wouldn't You Love To See MModal On Undercover Boss?
Feb 29, 2012

Boy wouldn't they get a rude awakening. ...

"SIGH !!!!" - Wouldn't It Be Nice If....................
Sep 27, 2010

somewhere out there, there was an MTSO owner or CEO who was like the CEO's you see on the "Undercover Boss" TV show?    One who cared enough to actually want to know about the nuts and bolts of how his or her company operated?  And just how difficult it would be to be one of their employees?  I sure do! (I know, I know... I won't go holding my breath until it happens, or anything!) ...