A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

You wouldn't believe what I have to do where I work - Kat

Posted: Aug 16, 2010

I've been employed by an orthopedic surgery practice for about 6 years now. I think it was after the first year, I started having to compose office notes from the paperwork the patient filled out (all of their history), plus the templates the provider filled out.  I hated it and protested to my office manager. Then gave up, then about a year later I asked her to talk to the doctor about his hand writing to no avail. One doctor never made me read his writing, he would fill out the template, but dictate, and for all of the past medical history, medications, review of systems, etc., he would say "please see chart." 

Now he is gone and we've just hired a new one who liked it so well because it saves him from dictating that he is doing it that way too.  It took me half a day just to do about 10 notes because they were all new patients who filled out all the lovely paperwork and his writing sucks also.

I've been keeping an eye out for jobs locally and there are none. One place I worked for has transcriptionists but uses a service and will not be hiring. I haven't had luck working at home because of running out of work and my only connection is satellite which really keeps me from being able to work for places I really want too because of compatibility issues.

I've been in this profession for about 12 years and was even certified at one time. I even took a formal course a few years ago and graduated with a 98% average. Whoopee, right? Part of me thought it should just make me try harder, but then I thought how about a career change.

So today I just filled out paperwork from my employer to take a loan against my 401K to take a coding program. Things shouldn't have to be that hard. I've never worked in-house in a place where they valued my concerns or my opinion, or cared at all about the Book of Style or certification. I'm a nice person and easy to get along with. I believe it's a sign that I've been doing the wrong thing for the past 12 years so hopefully in 6 to 8 months I'll have a new career. I don't know what else to do. I can't threaten to quit because I get paid well, but not well enough to be happy about composing notes for the providers.

We had to do that - too.

[ In Reply To ..]
...look at handwritten notes and compose full-fledged H&Ps. The doctor was very picky about what we composed, too. Under "diet" on the history form, if the patient checked "fast food" and the "3-5 times a week" option, we would have to write a full sentence, i.e. "The patient consumes fast food 3-5 times a week." (Not just "fast food 3-5 times a week.") Ugh. That doctor definitely needed a personal secretary. We were paid hourly, though, so if you didn't mind making next-to-no headway on your pile of work, you could spend as long as you wanted on Dr. "Physical exam form."

Do you think they care about BOS? - anon

[ In Reply To ..]

Why complain when you are on the clock. Do your 8 - hours and go home

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Agree, as long as you are paid by the hour, just do it,. - NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

10 charts in half a day? That's reason enough for - her to complain! Very inefficient. NM

[ In Reply To ..]
x

Ten L-O-N-G, huge charts or small, short ones. It makes a difference - nm

[ In Reply To ..]
nm
It only makes a difference if you are being paid on production, but not if hourly - I would just do it
[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Why complain? I'll tell you - kat

[ In Reply To ..]
I didn't spend a few thousand on school to read a doctors' and patients' chicken scratch. My instructor at M-Tec put it this way - she told me to refuse to do it because it brought up medicolegal and risk management issues.

I have other providers that I transcribe for also and there is a turn around time. I'm also responsible for filing, which is a ton of charts and hundres of pieces of loose leaf during the week.

Wasn't asking for advice about "Just Do It" - kat

[ In Reply To ..]
Wasn't asking for advice anyway. I have the option of going back to school and it feels great.

I had to do that too - LOL

[ In Reply To ..]
I had to do that too. I hated it. Not a problem when you get paid by the hour? Really? How about ethically?? Plus, if you get behind on your work, the office manager who has no clue what MT is all about starts in on you for being behind. Friggin' doctors! Sometimes?!? Most are good...but those bad ones can put you in the crazy house quick...ha ha
Why Complain - Thank you - Kat
[ In Reply To ..]
Thank you - at least you and a couple others get it about the ethical part. The provider and the MA see the patient, write down scratchy notes, leaving a lot of stuff out, and we have to compose the stuff from their handwriting and the patients.

I just decided I don't have to do this anymore and will work there long enough until I'm done with school and get another job. I've told my manager 6 times within the past 6 years how I hate it, but she has done nothing. I don't like being treated like my feelings don't matter.

clinical notes are by clinicians - zenaida

[ In Reply To ..]
The legal issue here would scare the hell out of me. If there were ever a legal issue that was traced back to that note, you can bet the doctor is not going to roll over and tell the prosecutor you were doing the best you could with the crap he gave you. How many times have you looked at a poorly written history and thought you could have made it sound much more professional? But you just can't go there. Clinical notes must be written by the clinician performing the exam or interview. We all know how notoriously bad doctors' handwriting is. I remember about 25 years ago getting a chart ready to go to court. No one at the court could read the chart, so they subpoenaed the doctor, who presented himself to the court the following morning, and he couldn't read his own lousy handwriting. He lost his butt on that one. And you can bet you would lose your's too, if a medical error was tracked back to one of the note you had composed for him.
Definite reality check - Kat
[ In Reply To ..]
That definitely is an eye opener. I always have to leave him notes asking what words are. Sometimes he can't make out his writing and says to just not put it. Now how is the court to know he told me that...... Scary

And his medical assistant can never help me either. When I started doing this I was instructed to ask her if I couldn't make something out. I'm way better at understanding the context of the sentence than she is.

I have to do that also, but - Jaz

[ In Reply To ..]
I also get paid hourly at close to $30 an hour, so I don't mind it anymore knowing what others are paid working from home for a service. I cross my fingers everyday I keep this job because I would starve at the slave wages services pay their MTs. I would have to find another career. So, if you are getting paid a good hourly rate, better to just suck it up because there are very few in-house jobs out there anymore paying an hourly rate. Check it out on this forum, many working for a service are getting only 7 or 8 cpl with many years of experience.

$30 an hour? - kat

[ In Reply To ..]
How are you making that much?

I know how it is to work for a service. I've been there. But the point is I hate doing this and believe it is ethically wrong; As I stated in previous posts I'm going back to school for coding, finding a job and quitting this position here. I think that's the best thing I can do since there will be a 20% growth in that field to 2018 compared to 11% for transcriptionists.

I work in a small rural hospital for over 10 years - Jaz

[ In Reply To ..]
They pay very well, but only 8 MTs so I guess not worth it to a service to take over (knock on wood). I realize how lucky I am and if I ever lose this job I will probably do the same as you, find another career. Every time I get frustrated with my job, I just come to this board and see what it is like other places, especially with the services, and count my blessings. MT is not what it used to be in most places and I feel sorry for the ones just entering this field. Good luck to you in Coding!

Similar Messages:

Wouldn't It Be Great
Mar 16, 2012

wouldn't it be really great if there was some sort of email address for us to contact our hospitals directly...without the M*Modal propaganda?  We could say "Dear Dr. ___, I understand you are really busy and dictation is low on your priority list, but if you could take an extra moment and clearly articulate your dictation, the reports would come back to you with less questions and/or errors."   I know...I know...quit dreaming.  It is really sunny and warm outside my window ...

They Wouldn't Have To Demand
Oct 02, 2012

they would put people on their strength worktypes and specialities instead of put us on what we are the weakest at and then complain b/c they are constantly out of TAT.  Just amazing to me how we were asked what our strengths and weaknesses were and after that email, I was put on my weakest out of everything.  Perhaps I am the only one to realize that if you were given the work that you are strongest at, you would be able to go through it faster, but not with Nuance, they seem to thin ...

Wouldn't It Be More Efficient
Jul 31, 2013

To have the doctor, RN, resident, or whomever is doing the dicatation to do the demos rather than the MLS slaves?  I mean, since they are getting paid a living wage (unlike the MLS slaves) and they already have all the pertinent info, like business entity, location, signing, etc, why aren't THEY selecting the copy requests, etc. from their own little drop-down lists, instead of having the hapless MLS slaves searching all over creation for a doctor they misspelled or mispronounced. &nbs ...

Wouldn't Have Been Nice If . . .
Jan 02, 2014

If corporate realized how hard and difficult our job is and perhaps, at the very least, wiished us a Happy Holiday season and thanked us for all we do?  And rhen I woke up and smelled the coffee. ...

Wouldn't It Be Better To Take An Online
Mar 11, 2014

ICD-10 course rather than be required to stay with them for 2 additional years after the apprenticeship, working whatever shift they feel like sticking you with?  I feel like the difference in the amount of money you'd be making in those 2 years with them versus anywhere else would more than pay for an online course.  I'm not seeing the draw to this. ...

I Wouldn't Mind
May 01, 2015

WHY DO YOU HAVE TO MAKE EVERYTHING SO HARD!!!!???   i specifically got up today to log on for the hour of MOT.  then i see an email that says we don't need it, but its vague.  then another email says, we need it, but not until after 3 central time.  i even tried pulling in a 3:30 to 4 time from the swap board but it wouldn't let me.  my shift starts at 4.  so i wrote and said i'd just log in and do it and forget the swap board, but i'm told feel ...

Wouldn't It Be Nice?
May 26, 2015

if MModal would do just one thing....ONE THING...to make our jobs easier.  i swear they sit around and see what they can do to make everything single tiny little thing as hard as possible.  right now i'm talking about that freakin' time card and trying to enter PTO based on our NJA down time.  to make the times match up, i guess i just lie and make up times, just to play their stupid little make everything harder game. ...

Wouldn't It Make Sense
Mar 16, 2010

When you have a report that is with a difficult dictator and within the first few lines you have a blank you know you are going to send to QA - if the report is long and there are a few other blanks you might have to leave but might be able to get if you spent time researching, wouldn't it be better to not even waste time researching those blanks since all the lines are being counted toward your 5% submission rate - it would seem that it would be best to do the rest of the report as quickly ...

Wouldn't This Solve The Problem?
Jul 31, 2012

...If HIPAA laws clearly stated medical records of United States citizens could not be sent out of the country...wouldn't that be protecting the client better AND keeping jobs in America? Why won't they?  They have their laws on everything else! ...

If You Wouldn't Mind Sharing...
Oct 02, 2012

I have seen a few posts where someone mentions another job board.  I know we cannot post them here, but if you wouldn't mind emailing me I would appreciate it.  Seems like a google search is like a wild goose chase with schools and such and I just want a few real job boards to watch. Thank you so much in advance. ...

Wouldn't You Love To Say This To Your Supervisor?
Jul 19, 2013

It Wouldn't Bother Me To Get Accounts From All
Oct 28, 2014

They would just make the formats for all work types the SAME across the board.  It's NOT the changing of dictators/facilities that is so difficult...it's the having to check 1 thousand different sets of account rules!!!  UGH! ...

Serioulsy, Wouldn't It Have Been Easier To Just Tell Us SM
Dec 17, 2014

they were going to pay us 7 cpl?  From just glancing through the posts here that is what everybody is basically saying.  Did anyone make more than that?  I for one am NOT going to approve my timecard because I DON'T APPROVE!    I'm still up in the air on whether I will finish out this week or not.  ...

I Wish They Wouldn't Send Productivity Statistics...
May 03, 2012

It just ticks me off and makes me feel stalked.  I find it extremely negative and not helpful at all. ...

Please No Flaming But Wondering Why They Wouldn't Just Lay Off People Who Are
Apr 04, 2013

If it is all about saving money, it seems to me that people who get medical insurance costs MM money. Strange laying off part timers as they don't get medical insurance or any benefits.  Not saying I want anyone laid off but just think it is strange as they are so cheap. ...

With All The KS Bashing Here Any Time Anyone Mentions Them, I Wouldn't Be Surprised
Oct 04, 2011

This is how it went for Webmedx a few months before they sold to Nuance.  I sure hope not, because I love my job and do not want to go back to working for Medquist. ...

How Do I Contact The Moderators? Tried To Send Message, But It Wouldn't Go Through...sm
Nov 23, 2011

A box appeared and said to type in characters, but there were no characters that appeared?  If the moderators wish to contact me at the above e-mail address, that will be fine. ...

Wouldn't You Love To See MModal On Undercover Boss?
Feb 29, 2012

Boy wouldn't they get a rude awakening. ...

"SIGH !!!!" - Wouldn't It Be Nice If....................
Sep 27, 2010

somewhere out there, there was an MTSO owner or CEO who was like the CEO's you see on the "Undercover Boss" TV show?    One who cared enough to actually want to know about the nuts and bolts of how his or her company operated?  And just how difficult it would be to be one of their employees?  I sure do! (I know, I know... I won't go holding my breath until it happens, or anything!) ...