A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

What exactly is liability going to cover an MT for? sm - wondering

Posted: Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility.

Breach - crazycatwoman

[ In Reply To ..]
Here's a summary. We will fall under the "Business Associates" section.

HIPAA Final Rule highlights for practitioners

The rule mandates changes to privacy notices and modifies breach notification requirements, among other provisions.

By Legal & Regulatory Affairs staff

March 14, 2013—The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) released the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) Final Rule on Jan. 25, 2013. The Rule goes into effect March 26, 2013 and covered entities (CE) and business associates must comply with the requirements of the Final Rule by Sept. 23, 2013. The Final Rule enhances patient privacy protections, provides individuals with new rights to their health information and strengthens the government’s enforcement of and penalties under the law.

The APA Practice Organization (APAPO) will be making detailed guidance available for practitioners well in advance of the September 2013 compliance deadline. The following is a brief overview of some of the changes that will be coming. The last section provides more information on next steps.

For more information about the Privacy Rule and frequently used terms, please refer to the Privacy Rule Primer (PDF, 1.5MB) available on APAPO’s Practice Central website.

Changes to Notice of Privacy Practices

Changes were made to the information that is now required in the CE’s Notice of Privacy Practices (Privacy Notice). CEs will need to update their Privacy Notices as required by the law. The updated Privacy Notice need not be given to existing patients who have already received a Privacy Notice. However, a copy of the updated Privacy Notice must be posted in the practitioner’s office and all new patients must be given a copy.

Updated Privacy Notices must include the following statements, among others:

Most uses and disclosures of psychotherapy notes, uses and disclosures of protected health information (PHI) for marketing purposes, and disclosures that constitute a sale of PHI require patient authorization;

Other uses and disclosures not described in the Privacy Notices will be made only with authorization from the individual;

Patients have the right to restrict certain disclosures of PHI to health plans/insurance companies if the patient pays out of pocket in full for the health care service; and

Affected patients have the right to be notified following a breach of unsecured protected health information.

Modifications to the Breach Notification Rule

In the Final Rule, HHS clarifies that an “impermissible use or disclosure” of PHI is presumed to be a breach unless the CE or business associate demonstrates that there is a “low probability that the protected health information has been compromised.” Breach notification is not necessary under the Final Rule if a CE or business associate demonstrates through a documented risk assessment that there is a low probability that the PHI has been compromised.

CE’s and business associates must assess the probability that the PHI has been compromised based on a risk assessment that would be performed routinely following any security breaches. The risk assessment considers the following factors:
Nature and extent of PHI involved;

To whom the PHI may have been disclosed;

Whether that PHI was actually acquired or viewed; and

The extent to which the risk to the PHI has been mitigated (for example, assurances from recipient that information has been destroyed or will not be further used or disclosed).

Providers are required to give notification of a breach unless the information was secure. If the risk assessment fails to demonstrate that there is a low probability that the PHI has been compromised, breach notification is required. This risk assessment should be documented in your records for all potential breaches.

Providers will need to update their incident response and breach notification processes to reflect the change from a “risk of harm” standard to a “presumption of breach” standard and to include the four factor assessment. It is important to note that HHS includes not just unauthorized access to PHI, but also impermissible uses by knowledgeable insiders in its definition of breach requiring an assessment.

Business Associates

The Final Rule requires that business associates and their subcontractors comply with the HIPAA rules in the same manner as covered entities. Any entity that “creates, receives or transmits” PHI on behalf of a covered entity may now be held directly liable for impermissible uses/disclosures. Business associates and subcontractors must conduct risk assessments under the HIPAA Security Rule.

Although business associates are now directly regulated under HIPAA, covered entities are still responsible for their business associates’ actions. Therefore, CEs must ensure that they obtain satisfactory assurances of HIPAA compliance through their business associate contracts and business associates must do the same for their subcontractors.

Penalty Structure

HHS set up a four-tier financial penalty structure for breaches deemed serious enough to warrant a penalty imposed by the federal government. Based on culpability, fines range from $100 to $50,000 per violation with a cap of $1.5 million on violations of identical provisions happening within the same calendar year. High-level penalties are targeted at CEs who are being willfully neglectful or making no attempt to correct problems.

This does not specifically state - that the BA MUST

[ In Reply To ..]
hold errors and omissions insurance. I think the Covered Entity should be responsible for that, since they would most likely be the ones fined and such for any "breaches." If it becomes a requirement for the transcriptionist to have this type of insurance, I believe the pay should reflect the amount having to be paid, since it is the covered entity requiring us to have it.

The BA can now be held liable for breaches - Liability

[ In Reply To ..]
My understanding is that now the business associate can be held liable for breaches and be fined, so that would be the primary reason for liability insurance. No, the BA is not mandated to hold the insurance under HIPAA, but I think some companies are starting to require it from their BAs.
It's not HIPAA it's HITECH - OldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
It is not mandated by the company, it is mandated by the gov. If you are an IC you can raise your prices to try and offset the cost, but good luck with that. Bottom line you have to have it in the "real world"! But you can always gamble.
not necessarily - I just signed a BA
[ In Reply To ..]
with my company, per HITECH, and was not asked to have e&o insurance. Perhaps it depends on state you live in. I would think that a company would tell you it is required when signing the BA agreement, if that were the case. Mine does not. and I DO live in the "real world" thank you very much. snipe snipe snipe.
Not seeing it - under HITECH
[ In Reply To ..]
I don't see where there is a mandate to have liability insurance under the HITECH Act for BAs. I definitely see WHY a BA would need liability under HITECH, but I don't see an actual mandate for it. Do you have something you can quote?
Mandate wording . . . - OldMT
[ In Reply To ..]
My point was that gov has mandated, via the HITECH Act, that BAs are just as liable for PHI as the entity. There seems to be confusion between E&O insurance and liability insurance, what the entity is responsible for and what the BA is responsible for. All the new contracts coming out are due to the September 2013 deadline for new privacy guidelines/ notices and that is generating new contracts for the MT/BA. It was not my intention to imply that the government was mandating you buy liability insurance, but in reality it might be a wise choice if you continue to work as an IC. My statement of "here in the real world" was in reference to the reality of how many people in our society will file a lawsuit any chance they get--not that you are not in the real world. No sniping here!
Thanks, I see. I thought E&O was the same as - professional liability?
[ In Reply To ..]
I thought E&O was another name for professional liability insurance. I think people get confused because they assume errors and omissions only pertains to the report itself and not other types of errors, such as a PHI breach. Yes, I agree it might be a wise choice to get liability insurance as an IC, and I think, from reading here, that some companies are going to start requiring it from their MTs.

No sniping here either! Just trying to understand.
My BA form arrived 3 days ago and - Karla
[ In Reply To ..]
does not say anything about requiring or even needing liability.
Question for you - (see message)
[ In Reply To ..]
Was your BA form from an IC position already established or is this a new position? I was just curious. I have not heard a peep from the company I contract with about this.
Not a new position, been there several - years- NM
[ In Reply To ..]

Similar Messages:

Would That TAA Thing Cover Something Like This?
Mar 27, 2010

The university down the street will be offering an undergraduate degree in Arabic.  It is one of only 3 offer in this country.  Now THAT ought to be useful.  Sometimes, if you already have an undergraduate degree, they let you skip the basics and finish in 2 yrs.  I would certainly consider that, especially since there appears to be no end in sight to our troubles with Arab-speaking countries. ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

S/l Covet/cover? Osteotomy
Feb 08, 2011

"I do not know what kind of covert osteotomy was done." ...

Cover Letter Suggestions Please.
Jun 30, 2012

I am trying to write a cover letter for a job that was advertised in the newspaper.  The ad just says Medical Secretary, must have experience in the medical field.  It just gives a phone number.  When I called the number it gives a fax number.  I know for a fact that it is for Radiology by googling the #.  I have twenty years transcribing radiology.  Does anyone have any suggestions in what to include in my cover letter so it will stand out.  I have not worked ...

Looking For A Specific Keyboard Cover
Apr 27, 2015

Does anyone know of a company that sells custom covers for split keyboards?  I have a Goldtouch I got off of eBay a couple of months ago and I need a cover.  Sick of it getting dust bunnies.  TIA ...

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Pt With Bronchitis. Gave Her A Z-Pak To Cover For S/l Atypicals
Nov 16, 2009

:-) ...

Dr Is Saying S/l Tijacillin Or Tichacillin To Cover ORSA
Dec 10, 2009

Any ideas.  It does not sound like he is saying ticarcillin which I did find googling.  Thx. ...

What Type Of Information Do You Put In Your Cover Letters? (sm)
Feb 11, 2011

I generally introduce myself with my name, state how long I have been a MT and just a very short overview of my experience, as well as position I am seeking, IC, for instance.  My cover letter is only 5 lines.  Is this the norm for everyone else?  When I first typed my cover letter I did some research and it stated to make the letter as short as possible and to highlight your "strong" points.  Just curious ... thanks for any opinions, advice, etc. ...

To Send A Cover Letter, That Is The Question
Mar 06, 2012

If a company says send a resume, do you automatically send a cover letter too, or skip it?  I'm old school and it seems wrong to not send a cover letter.  On the other hand, they are probably busy and don't have time to read it.  This company is not actively hiring, but they say they are always interested in qualified MTs.  TIA ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Eye Exam Cover Test Noted To Be S/l Autophoric.. TIA
Jun 01, 2011

autophoric?? Thanks.   ...

Does Nuance FT Insurance Cover Domestic Partners?
Jan 06, 2012

I'm a FT Webber and think I've heard something about this, but can't seem to find in the insurance info. Thank you! ...

The Future Of Coding The Cover Story Of For The Record Mag
Jan 28, 2012

Timely! Computer-aided coding and its impact upon the coding job market is the feature story of the just-released For The Record magazine. Some excerpts: "...From what I've heard from those hospitals for years now is that it's not that they need fewer coders."  Instead, Bronnert sees coders being used more effectively and at a higher skill level.  "They become even more valuable to a facility.  I don't see their roles or positions diminishing at all.  I see ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Mmodal's Insurance, UHC, Doesn't Cover DepoProvera Shots.
Jul 03, 2012

What a crock!!  My old insurance covered contraceptives for women.  On UHC's page, it says the new law requires they cover women's contraceptives August 1st.  You'd think they'd do it anyway because birth control is a heck of a lot cheaper than obstetrical care...  Ticks me off. ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Has Anyone Heard Of "All Bat" It Sounds Like It Is An Artificial Skin Cover For Burns. NM
Oct 27, 2009

x ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

Life After Nuance, And PLEASE Remember DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, DOCUMENT, COVER YOUR A$$
Jun 20, 2014

Other than the stress from worrying about money,I can not believe how good it feels to have the giant elephant of stress off of my back. I just had an interview with the people from unemployment. Of course, I think Nuance is trying to fight me getting anything. Thank God my husband was very supportive and saw how Nuance and FIESA were eating me from the inside out! I have been filling out applications and have been on only one interview so far. PLEASE, PLEASE, Don't be foolish like m ...