A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Liability Insurance - have you been asked - Sparky

Posted: Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips.

Sparky - Ricky

[ In Reply To ..]
I have worked as an IC for three decades and have NEVER had to purchase liability insurance. This whole idea is baloney sausage. There is something in the law called the doctrine of the CAPTAIN OF THE SHIP. That would be the physician who signs the report, not you, not me, not any other MT. AHDI once tried to make some dough by getting people on board with liability insurance. No, no, no! Let the company owners take on the responsibility that is theirs.

Ricky is spot on CORRECT! Just say NO! - Not your responsibility. nm

[ In Reply To ..]
xx

liability insurance - MT at home

[ In Reply To ..]
Within the budget stimulus package passed last year came HITECH (some call it HIPAA #2). In that law, the IC is held just as responsible as the MTSO for privacy and security, can be sued (and fined) equally with the MTSO (or hospital or doctor), and can go to jail right with them if found guilty. I guess it's your choice: protect yourself or leave yourself at risk. Just like fire insurance, health insurance, etc.

MT at home is correct. I used to carry it in another line of work. - Anon.

[ In Reply To ..]
Not a big deal. The bills for legal representation to show you are totally innocent after being named can be enormous, however, and are never small.

Sparky, as an IC you are the captain of your ship but not always the master of your destiny.

EXPENSIVE! - JUSTME

[ In Reply To ..]
I looked into this a few months ago and the cost was over $1000 a year. Plus, I was told by ins. co. that I would have to carry it the rest of my life in case something I did 10 years ago came back to haunt me. In other words, even if you had the ins. when the infraction happened, you have to have current coverage to cover it.

Here's a good website - Happy MT Robin

[ In Reply To ..]
http://www.techinsurance.com/blog/general-insurance/avoiding-lapses-in-eo-insurance-coverage/

I personally would never purchase E&O insurance as an IC if I were going through an MTSO. If I were a "true" IC and contracting directly with the doctor's offices, I might reconsider that. Might.

The problem as I see it is that a lot of the MTSOs are requesting/requiring it because of the HiTech act changes, but there's a very real possibility that any security lapses that would prompt such a claim are not covered by E&O insurance. E&O means errors and omissions, meaning you have to have made an error or omitted something in the course of your work that caused financial harm to your client.

Any errors that are in the document are the ultimate responsibility of the dictator since they have to sign it and they are verifying that the information contained therein is correct. That lets the MT off the hook, IMO.

It's been a while since I've read an actual policy, but there are always loads of exclusions in a policy of this sort. Plus, as the above poster says, if you don't have continuous coverage, because this is a claims-made type of policy rather than occurrence based, it could come back to haunt you in later years when you don't think you need the insurance any more.

my ins co said... - justme

[ In Reply To ..]
this ins the mtso's are talking about is a rider policy onto the E&O, so you have to buy E&O and the rider on top of it to cover breach of security issues, etc.

Similar Messages:

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

This Has Probably Been Asked Before, But...
Jun 19, 2013

What would you do if you worked for Nuance and was offered a job to start immediately with another company?  Would you have to give 2 weeks' notice and possible lose the job offer? ...

Been Asked To Tier Up
Feb 25, 2010

Good? Bad? Should I run screaming for the hills? ...

I Am Sure That This Question Has Been Asked But .... (sm)
Aug 02, 2010

I am looking to buy a new computer and cannot decide between a desktop or a laptop.  Which do you prefer and why?  I love the idea of not being confined to my desk with the laptop but afraid that it will not "hold up" like a desktop in the long run. Thanks so much for your replies! ...

Below I Asked A Question About What
Sep 23, 2010

Max House or Health PFC KA system for a knee replacement.  In case anyone is interested, the QA response was MAX-HEALTH PS TKA system.  However, I tried to verify this for myself on google, but I could not.  QA must have a better reference library than I do.  FYI. ...

Has It Become A Given That We Are Asked To Work OT W/o OT Pay?
Nov 10, 2010

Evidently it is an unwritten rule at my company that when you are asked to work hours outside of your shift, or over 40 hours, it is a given that you are to do so with no extra pay.  Should I bring it up?  Am I the only one? We all work 40 hours on my account, some nights, and some weekends.  Always have.  Now the AM is e mailing on the weekend asking us to get on there and get caught up.  Extra money is never mentioned - never paid, although if more than 40 hours is on ...

Someone Asked Me If There Is Work Out There
Dec 08, 2011

I ran into a former co-worker.  She asked what I was doing and I told her I am doing medical transcription from home.  She said her daughter is taking an online course in MT but it is slow going.  She asked me a few questions about the field.  Mainly she wanted to know if there is work out there.  I didn't want to be negative so I said yes, there's work out there, even though in my heart I know her daughter is going to have a tough time getting work.  At l ...

I Am Curious If Anyone Who Has Asked Has Ever
Sep 02, 2012

received a response as to why they were not given a job or even given the chance to test.  I never have.  ...

TSM Asked Why I Have No Hours!! Really??
Mar 05, 2013

I asked her if I was supposed to pull work out of the air??  I was so angry!! Are these people clueless or just stupid? I asked her if she thinks I like making no money and why would I show up every day that I am supposed to and do nothing?? I told her that I knew what the company was trying to do and that I Would Not Quit, so they had better find another reason to get rid of me. I asked her if she knew of this website and that the MModal MTs actually "do" talk to each other and we know wha ...

An MT Asked That Question?
Apr 17, 2013

Show me one MT who cares about this. ...

WTH Asked This Question?
Apr 17, 2013

It's one step up from How's the Baby? ...

Update--You Asked For It!
Nov 01, 2013

A few weeks ago I stopped in here to tell you all good-bye. I had found a new position doing psychiatric transcription and I was taking the leap. At that time, a few of you asked me if I could tell you where I was going and I didn't feel I could at that point. I have now been with Saince, Inc and I can tell you without a doubt I made the right choice for me. The training was actually "hands-on." The trainer explained and showed us how to do something and then he turned his computer ove ...