A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Professional Liability Insurance for Business Associate/ Independent Contractor - MTsince1999

Posted: Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found.

http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php

Thanks for the info. - sm

[ In Reply To ..]

What did you use for "Select a business description" when first obtaining a quote for your state?  The only thing fairly close I see so far is Medical Billing.  

http://www.hiscoxusa.com/small-business-insurance/?tt!pID=2282&tt!bD=2052712_9

Or did you actually end up with Bolt Insurance?

Is your occupation not listed? We can still help.

At Hiscox we focus on tailoring our coverage to a range of professional services businesses. However, we want to help every type of small business owner get the right coverage as quickly as possible.

We've teamed up with the BOLT Insurance Agency who can provide quotes to a wide range of businesses we do not currently insure. This can be done online or via the phone by calling 1-800-229-1534.

http://www.hiscoxusa.com/small-business-insurance/professional-business-insurance/

paid 400 a year to be covered as a Business Associate - MTsince99

[ In Reply To ..]
nm

Similar Messages:

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

IC Now Called Business Associate
Aug 27, 2013

I have been offered a job as IC/Business Associate.  Now that I have looked into the HIPPA ruling this make me nervous as I can now be held liable even with fines up to $25,000 and even stiffer penalties.  I barely make it now from payday to payday.    I am not in a position to afford any kind of insurance like Liability Insurance.  I have always been a FT employee.  I am now torn on what to do.  The company is willing to train me in VR but when I read all the ...

Business Associate Agreement
Nov 14, 2014

Does anyone know where to get a free printable/downloadable Business Associate Agreement (template) that I can have my transcription subcontractors sign? It needs to be one with the 2013 Omnibus rule included. I have looked all over but can't find anything adequate yet. Thank you! ...

Independent Contractor Means "independent" Contractor - Sm
Oct 22, 2014

I am so tired of these companies hiring for an IC position and then when you are not at your keyboard johnny on the spot at 11 a.m. every day to start your day and sometimes start at 12 p.m. or 12:30 p.m., they are calling your cell, sending threatening E-mails.  They never stipulated in their contract that if you say, per se, you are going to work 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. and you start a little later, say 12 p.m. and work until the work is completed still getting getting the work completed well w ...

HIPAA Business Associate Training
Sep 05, 2014

Is there a website that offers HIPAA training for Business Associates for free? I work as a subcontractor for iMedX, and we're required to show proof of annual training. Last year I took a quick course online for $20 and got a certificate. I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. iMedX has offered no guidance about where to get our training. Thanks! ...

Independent Contractor CPL
Mar 10, 2010

Would a few independent contractors mind sharing your CPL rate? I currently work as an employee and have three years experience. I am looking into IC jobs, but I am having difficulty finding information easily on the difference in rates between IC jobs and employee jobs. Thank you! ...

How Does Anyone Become An IC (independent Contractor)?
Jul 11, 2010

How does anyone become an IC (independent contractor)? What is the process exactly? Any help would be appreciated. ...

EIN And Job As Independent Contractor
Aug 19, 2011

I recently got a reply on a job as an IC for a company but in order to work for them I have to have an EIN. How do I get one and how do I figure out my taxes and all the stuff that goes with it? ...

Independent Contractor
Jun 13, 2013

I was thinking of applying for an IC job until I saw this (and much more, but this did it for me). If you have been offered an independent contractor position it is very important that you calculate the ultimate cost to you as a taxpayer to see if the salary being offered is worth the time and effort. For example, if you are being offered $15 an hour as an independent contractor and $12 an hour as a payroll employee, you may initially be tempted by the fact that your "take home" pay will be ...

Independent Contractor QuestionMT
May 05, 2010

A company is looking for ICs and says you must fill out pre-qualifying form.  In it they ask for specific time of each day you can work.  As I understand independent contracting, you get job, are given TAT and determine when you will do it.  Can a company ask for set hours and still be calling their people independent contractors?  Thanks for any answers. ...

What All Is Involved With Being An Independent Contractor
May 21, 2010

I would like to know what all is involved with being an independent contractor.  I have been toying with the idea a lot lately but have no clue what needs to be done or what is required of me.  If anyone could give me some insight into this, I would so truly appreciate it.  Thanks... PS:  I have been an MT for over 20 years so not new to the scene but always figured employee status was better.  ...

DIT Transcription Independent Contractor
Aug 10, 2010

Yes, I fell for DIT's reassurances that their financial troubles were all in the past too.  I worked diligently for two months only to be met with silence when I asked which days they mail paychecks out.  It's been two weeks now, and I haven't heard a thing.   To those of you who are staying loyal to these people:  Please, please, please don't.  They don't deserve it.  For over a year, they have been preying on new MTs who are desperate for a job.  This is NOT ...

How Does A Person Become An Independent Contractor?
Aug 12, 2010

I was just wondering how does a person become an independent contractor? I see a lot of job openings for them but not really sure what is involved. Could someone explain how to go about getting into being and independent contractor?  Thank you so much! ...

Licensed Independent Contractor
Sep 24, 2010

Is anyone a licensed independent contractor?  I saw a job listing that you have to be licensed.  First time I ever heard of that.  ...

Independent Contractor And Taxes?
Jul 14, 2011

Hello.  I just got a new job, and for the first time, I will be an independent contractor.  I am unfamiliar with this.  I know they will not take taxes out.  I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on how I do this.  Should I consult a tax person?  Is there a way I can figure out what to hold out on my own?  Can I pay the IRS quarterly those figures so I don't have to pay it all at the end of the year?  Do I need any kind of license?  This is a part-time position at home, ...

Independent Contractor Definition
Oct 11, 2011

I am looking for some clarification on the definition, as per the IRS website, of an "independent contractor."  With the majority of companies now hiring MTs as IC's, does this definition apply ? "You are not an independent contractor if you perform services that can be controlled by an employer (what will be done and how it will be done). This applies even if you are given freedom of action. What matters is that the employer has the legal right to control the details of how the servi ...

BEWARE AND BE SURE You Are Truly An Independent Contractor
Aug 31, 2012

BEWARE AND BE SURE you are truly an Independent contractor. This info is available on the IRS.GOV website (type Independent contractor in the SEARCH box and then click on IC defined). I was going to work for a company who later informed me that i would be REQUIRED to look up patient information that was not dictated by going to a different website and searching thru the paperwork looking for the information. I know from experience that doing this seriously cuts into My Line Count and MY PAY. I w ...

When You Are Considered An Independent Contractor
Jun 08, 2013

When you are considered an independent contractor, is it necessary to give at least two weeks notice before you quit? ...

Independent Contractor MT Work
Nov 04, 2014

Want work as an IC on a part-time basis.  Anyone know of a company that is truely hiring for ICs, not calling you an IC but treating you as if you are an employee?  Thanks. ...

**Imedx Goes ALL Independent Contractor
Nov 18, 2014

Oncology Positions Available - iMedX Inc Posted: Nov 18th, 2014 - 4:48 pm iMedX, Inc. Openings for Oncology transcription in a clinic setting as IC (Independent Contractor). Must have approximately 2 years recent Oncology experience. **** This is the first step of shifting people out of Employee status...bye bye guys!!! Clock tickin'!!!!!! What more do you need. Thumbs up for Employees about to be dumped ...

Independent Contractor Programs
Feb 22, 2015

Hi! Can anyone tell me what some good programs are if I was to try to get into the IC field? I mean programs for downloading voice files, for getting the foot pedal to work with said voice files, etc. I have Word and a word expander. ...

Independent Contractor Details?
Mar 13, 2015

Can anyone tell me any details on being an independent contractor? Pros/cons? Pay? Thanks for any info! ...

Independent Contractor Status
Mar 27, 2015

Could someone please explain how an IC status works, has anyone worked in this capacity, and feedback. Thanks. ...

Question About Holidays For Independent Contractor
Dec 07, 2009

I have been doing IC work for almost a year now and up until now the work has been plentiful even though its pooled, however, recently I noticed that I keep running out of work.  I keep being told that the accounts are not over assigned, but I am having serious doubts.  Before I call it quits with the company I just wanted to get opinions as to whether this is the norm for this time of year or what? ...

Independent Contractor - IRS Definition Of An IC, The IC Cannot Be Tested
Mar 13, 2010

As I understand it, according to IRS definition of an IC, the IC cannot be tested. If this is so, how do the transcription companies get away with testing for IC positions as mentioned in their ads. Is this legal? ...

Where I Would Find The Steps To Go About Becoming An Independent Contractor ?
Nov 26, 2010

Can anyone tell me where I would find the steps to go about becoming an IC?  Once I learn how to legally become an IC, then what do you do, just send your resume to the various companies?  I would like to investigate becoming one.  Thanks so much.  Deidre. ...

Independent Contractor And Employee Status
Jan 18, 2011

This is concerning work. There is one question on the questionnaire that asks if I want to be on independent contractor or employee status. Could someone please explain exactly what the difference is and the Pros and Cons of such. Thank you in advance. ...

Transcription Doctors - As An Independent Contractor?
Feb 08, 2012

Anyone work for Transcription Doctors as an independent contractor?  Looked through the archives, but everything seems old.  Just wondered if anyone has had any current experience.  Very leary trying out a new company. ...