A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

errors & omissions liability insurance - dahlia

Posted: Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this? 

for whom do you work? - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
I have never heard of any MTSO, hospital, or private practice requiring this. Who told you you needed this?

E&O - dahlia

[ In Reply To ..]
This little company I work for is trying to renew a contract with a hospital and its satellite companies and they have stipulated that they want all her IC MTs to have (and give proof) this insurance.

Lots of opinions on this - you are an IC - so you are independent business person

[ In Reply To ..]
I do not believe, though, that you need E&O insurance.

Is it the company you work for who is saying that or is it the hospital who is requiring this? Technically, as an independent contractor, you are your own business person. E&O insurance provides protection if you make an error or omission that causes harm in some way. My personal belief is that is made moot by the fact that the doctors/dictators are responsible for signing their charts and their malpractice insurance requires this, thus placing the onus on them for any errors in the report.

You're looking at a minimum of 1500 a year unless you can get it on the cheap from ADHI or one of the other organizations.

THis would be a deal breaker for me and I would have to find another company to either be an employee of or to IC for.

As ridiculous as it sounds, after the Precyse lawsuit, I can kind of see - some hospitals getting antsy about it.

[ In Reply To ..]

As mentioned, AHDI offers a discount on an E&O policy, supposedly:

http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx

I found this by searching the insurance company they listed, runs from about $500 to $700 annually (maybe less with an AHDI membership, but enough of a discount to offset the cost of membership?).  Looks like you can pay in monthly installments (option 3).

http://uniqueunderwriters.com/images/CarrierContracts/EO_Insurance_Application.pdf

Let us know what you find out and decide to do.

Someone is jerking you around. MTs don't - need such "insurance".

[ In Reply To ..]

E&O insurance - Mary

[ In Reply To ..]
I believe the E&O insurance is being requested because of the HITECH law that stipulates "business associates" are also liable. I've had this come up in contracts before and think we will see more of it down the road. If it's a good job it might be worth it and you can deduct the cost of insurance.

E&O insurance - anon

[ In Reply To ..]
Back when I first started with my old job at my in-house hospital job, I asked about this and told we were covered under the hospital's overall general insurance policy. I always thought if I went out on my own and got my own accounts, I would consider getting this. If you are an IC and it is not too much for some basic coverage, I would at least consider it.

HITECH link - MT

[ In Reply To ..]
Don't be foolish, there are lots of rules and regulations that affect ICs and you never know when that one person is going to pass the buck down to you--understand your responsibilities and pay the extra dollars to cover your a##

https://www.americanbar.org/newsletter/publications/aba_health_esource_home/Volume5_10_Nosowsky.html

Also, having liability insurance... - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
...potentially puts a target on your back for a lawsuit if an error in a report were to end up harming a patient. Who wants that?

serously? - no way

[ In Reply To ..]
they do not pay nearly enough anymore to require us to pay out a thing....they are making the money, they need to carry it as we get blamed no matter what any way!

Similar Messages:

Does Anyone Carry Errors And Omissions Insurance?
Dec 02, 2009

Does anyone carry Errors and Omissions Insurance?  If so, what is the ballpark cost of a yearly premium?  Thanks. ...

What Does Errors & Omissions Excepted In A Contract Mean Exactly?
Feb 18, 2013

thanks to the help of the people on this board, I am now working on a contract and at the bottom it says Errors & Omissions Excepted  and I just want to be sure what I am signing.   thanks! ...

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

1 Point Errors, Critical Errors.
Dec 08, 2012

I get dinged for leaving out words like the, and others.  I am now understanding that this is not the correct policy, that others are not getting critical error, major error, off one point for this.  So, am I being singled out? Because I thought this was the norm.  I'd like to know so that while I am hanging on every word and will continue to do so, I thought I was not the only one with this...thanks in advance for the update.  ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

QA Errors
Oct 30, 2014

What do I do if QA marks me for a major error but I think they made a mistake? The really wierd part is that the feedback page says it was NOT modified. Seems so strange to me that QA wouldn't modify a report with a major error.  ...

Can I Have Some Opinions Please, Re Errors,
Dec 08, 2009

Does anyone here believe that sending a copy to the wrong doctor is a critical error?  I am beginning to feel picked on.  ...

CRITICAL ERRORS
Jun 15, 2010

Has anyone at the Q been getting hit by "critical errors" on crazy stuff that has never been an issue BEFORE?   All of the sudden, after no feedback for about a month, no audits, nada, zilch, I got my audit and was given critical feedback for not capitilizing a department! (recovery room, radiology suite, cardiac cath lab...)  AND, in a verbatim report, with a client profile that says specifically, DO NOT ADD A HEADING IF ONE IS NOT DICTATED, for NOT adding a heading!  This makes me nuts ...

SYNTAX ERRORS:
Aug 15, 2010

If we get a "syntax error" message on a post we have just made, how do we get back in to correct the error without losing the entire post?  Every so often I forget, and put an apostrophe in the subject line, and end up losing the entire post.  I've tried the "back" button, "Alt-Z" (undo), etc., but it's all gone once that syntax message appears. ...

Documentation Errors
Sep 15, 2010

I work in a surgery center/clinic in medical transcription. I have never worked in the medical field before, so I'm not sure what is acceptable. We get massive amounts of documentation errors from the nurses in the surgery center and in the clinic. Is this usually acceptable?! Is it normal for a transcriptionist to be required to scan over the chart and correct all of their errors or should this be the responsibility of the nursing staff? It's DRIVING me up a wall! I'd say 75 ...

What Is Your Job Like When You Get Overflow? What About Errors?
Mar 08, 2011

I am a relatively new MT with a pretty good track record at my current job. I have been working there for about 6 months. Well, we just got a new acct, and my company was understaffed. I have been working myself to death. I should be able to do more, but I am a new MT, and I do not type very fast (about 55-60 wpm, slower when I am tired). They have a certain amt of mins of dication you are supposed to complete each day, and they have been giving me more than that. I have been completing what I c ...

Errors Used As Amunition
Nov 03, 2011

I hate when the supervisors hold on to errors you have made not showing them until YOU have done something that upsets them.  tired of it. ...

Common Errors
Apr 12, 2012

PLEASE NO NEGATIVE FEEDBACK!  This is truly meant to be helpful, not snotty, threatening, or negative so I expect the same in return. Military time:  Lately I have seen a lot of reports where people are inserting colons in military time.  Colons are NOT used for military time unless the hour, minute, AND seconds are given.  If the CP states that time is transcribed "3:00 a.m." this is for "regular" time and not military time. Spacing:  TWO spaces after periods that end ...