A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

anybody here carries a liability insurance - MTsince99

Posted: Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks.

Suggestion - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
It's a lot of information . . . probably more than anyone has time to explain.

Try googling HIPAA HITECH. You will come up with a number of useful sites that explain everything.

No way. No one pays me enough to afford it. - Let the lawyers go after the MTSO, instead!

[ In Reply To ..]
o

just not how it works - sm

[ In Reply To ..]
If you're putting yourself out there as an IC, then you are on equal footing with the MTSO.

This is going to be particularly important for those MTs who are misclassified as an IC because the MTSO is treating you like an employee and yet you will not be covered under their liability umbrella.

If you're misclassified or think you are NOW is the time to defer to the IRS for a ruling. It's not hard.

http://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Independent-Contractor-(Self-Employed)-or-Employee%3F

MT insurance - Alice

[ In Reply To ..]
I'm thinking, if there ever were a case where anyone would want to sue you over an MT issue (and I'm not saying there would ever be such a case), they would only sue you for what they can get. So, if you have insurance, it makes it more likely that you would be sued? If you are just a poor MT, maybe they wouldn't waste their time?? However, when thinking about the ruthlessness of some lawyers and how some MT big shots like to blame MTs for everything, right down to not being able to magically decipher the indecipherables, I'm thinking they would, at the very least, try to put you out of business, to use you as their scapegoat. So, maybe business liability insurance isn't such a bad idea for that reason.

Some information - HITECH and BA

[ In Reply To ..]
I don't carry liability insurance, but the chance of a data breach originating from me is almost nil due to my personal situation and how my office is set up.

Here's some information about how the HITECH Act affects business associates. It mainly concerns breaches surrounding PHI.

"The HITECH Act now applies certain HIPAA provisions directly to business associates. Formerly, privacy and security requirements were imposed on business associates via contractual agreements with covered entities. As we have noted elsewhere in this guide, we suspect that many small providers do not have the requisite contracts (aka Business Associate Agreements) in place. In some cases Business Associate Agreements (contracts) exist but may not meet all the requirements of the rules. Under the lax enforcement regime of the past, lack of contractual agreements has apparently not proved problematic for the provider community as a whole. This may soon change.

Under the HITECH Act, business associates are now directly "on the compliance hook" since they are required to comply with the safeguards contained in the HIPAA Security Rule (SR). The HITECH Act does not speak directly to the rationale, but even casual observers understand that a potentially massive expansion in the exchange of ePHI increases the privacy and security concerns of all stakeholders. Most, if not all, software vendors providing EHR systems will clearly qualify as business associates. Requiring vendors to comply directly ensures that more provider/vendor dialog will occur regarding the necessary Business Associate Agreements (contracts), and regarding other compliance issues of mutual interest. The vendors themselves will insist on it.

The "fun" for business associates does not stop with HIPAA Security Rule compliance and contractual agreements. The Act requires business associates to report security breaches to covered entities consistent with the notification requirements. Also, they are now subject to civil and criminal penalties under HIPAA if certain conditions exist, as mentioned in the introduction of this section. Finally, the business associate requirements listed above are illustrative and not exhaustive. There are additional business associate requirements that may be imposed depending on how the relationship with the provider is defined.

The bottom line is that business associates and providers will share more joint responsibilities than they have previously. Large providers, with the help of counsel and other specialized staff, will not likely be surprised by these changes. However, for many small providers the HITECH Act may be the first real introduction to the business associate concept-yet one more regulatory requirement that will require serious attention."

http://www.hipaasurvivalguide.com/hitech-act-summary.php

USED to be insured in other field. First two - recommended actions cost nothing:

[ In Reply To ..]
1. Educate yourself about the law as it applies to you and comply with it. Refuse any push from your clients to ignore the law. (This last could be the most difficult but must be done.)

2. Refuse to do work at all for a facility or practice you find questionable. If you've been doing work for a doctor who uses the same vital signs for everyone, keeps a dirty office, overbills patients, whatever, disassociate yourself. Bad as this is, it may just be the tip of the iceberg.

Replacing a client wouldn't cost nothing, of course, but you probably don't need to. Keep your eyes open for signs of trouble, though.

3. Then, wait to get liability insurance while you see the industry respond to this new status and insurance companies start marketing to IC MTs. If you've taken care of #1 and #2, your chances of getting in trouble with the law, small already, will be much smaller still.

Note, as this develops, your clients may put an end to the waiting by requiring you to be insured. In any case, I'm not recommending going uninsured permanently. Your homeowners' insurance is there in case a tree falls on your house, even if you feel that is very unlikely. Same for professional liability.

Just want to know - MTsince99

[ In Reply To ..]
if anybody here is already HIPAA compliant with the FINAL RULE. My company is asking me to complete the requirements P&P, BAA, and liability insurance in order to continue work. I just want to know and get some input where you got the liability insurance and how much it cost, and if you did your own paperwork or consulted an attorney. I have read intensively about this issue, had taken the HIPAA test from the company, just weighing my options about the insurance and how to do the Policies &Procedures and Business Associate Agreement and how I should word it in a manner that I will be protected. Thanks.

Have you checked with AHDI? - (see message)

[ In Reply To ..]
I know that at one time if you were a member of AHDI you could purchase it through them. It was with Seabury and Smith. If you are not a member of ADHI, maybe Seabury and Smith is a place to start.

So far my company has not required us to do anything with this, and I understand that the E&O liability insurance is expensive compared with what nurses and other allied health professionals have to have. Good luck.

I did check on that compan - MTsince99

[ In Reply To ..]
but have yet to get a response to them and time is running out. I have been looking around but could not find anything else :-( I can't believe nobody here is an IC/BA with liability insurance.

Similar Messages:

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

Pressure Over The Pronator Carries, With Supination
Jul 19, 2012

Morning lovelies...I have a new dictator who I have been struggling with this morning, however, he has mentioned 2 things I can' t find online or in my books so If anyone can help me out I would greatly appreciate it...see bold words in following:  "Pressure over the pronator carries, with supination, does cause discomfort bilaterally and she does have a Tinel's there as well. Her hands are warm and well-perfused with brisk capillary refill and normal Alan's fill bilaterally. ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

TT Insurance...
Dec 30, 2009

Just curious if anyone currently working at TT has received their new insurance info in the mail?  Yes, I've contacted HR but I never get a response. Thx ...

FYI Regarding Insurance
May 17, 2011

I don't know if yall know this, but I found out during the process of appealing an insurance claim that MedQuist is self-insured.  They set our rates and our benefits and pay all our claims, United Healthcare just administers the fund!  Kind of explains why things got so sh***y so fast, it's because MedQuist is calling the shots ...

MQ Insurance
Jul 12, 2011

Just wondering, MQ says that there insurance is second to none.  So, how good is their insurance and how expensive?  TIA Looking for love in all the wrong places, apparently. ...

So If You Are Ex JLG Now Do You Just Not Have Any Insurance Or What
Oct 02, 2011

Do we have to wait 90 days just like when hired on at a new job? I don't understand how this is fair considering I didn't ask for a change.  ...

Insurance-fed Up
Feb 16, 2012

I have had to use this insurance several times for MRIs.  This insurance pays for NOTHING.  I sure hope with the switch in suits and the new name change we can get a cheaper deductible when the benefits package comes up again in June.  This is just horrible!  This is eating up my paycheck fast. ...

LTD, STD Insurance Up
Mar 13, 2012

Did anyone else's insurance go up on LTD and STD insurance rate on the last paycheck.  These insurance companies are nickel, diming and $100 their way thru our pay. ...

Gap Insurance
Apr 06, 2012

message deleted ...

Insurance?
Nov 07, 2012

I just went over the NEW (using the term loosely) insurance for January.. wow.. there is not much change to mention.  Well, except that smokers will have to pay more.  We will still have to pay (single) 2500.00 out of pocket before they will even pay the 75% (my heart goes out to those with families!).  I dont know about the rest of you, but that just dooms me to no benefits to speak of or else to just owe out the wazooo.  I had been told by my physician that I had ...

Insurance And Rx
May 02, 2013

I just read the insurance thread and one of you mentioned having no Rx coverage. Go to www.goodrx.com    I've gotten deals there that are far better than what I was getting through my insurance (current plan does not include Rx coverage).  For instance, my BP medication was $95 cash, $50 insurance, and $33 through GoodRx.   ...