A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

From IC to BA - requirement and liability insurance - MTsince99

Posted: Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA.

Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can.

Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insurance. How much will that cost and where did you get yours? I really have no idea how to go about with it. I hope somebody can share their experience about this. I have small kids and working around their schedule is the reason why I would rather choose not be an employee at the moment.

Thank you so much.

Scheduling issues do not preclude - employee status

[ In Reply To ..]
I think you may be assuming that your account will be inflexible and require office hours from you. That may not be the case. Many employers now offer flexible schedules.

It would not hurt to discuss this with them. Employee status has a lot of benefits, including the job looking more like a real job on a resume. Other employers see it in a different light.

Also very important is the fact that they will be far more likely to offer you different work and/or help you find another job and get training in the event they start using VR and an EHR. If you are an IC, chances are you will simply be told your services are no longer needed.

As an IC, your BA status makes you personally liable for even inadvertent breaches. You, yourself, or your corporation, will be fined, forced to pay for remediation, etc.. If at this point the whole HIPAA thing is news to you, you are not in a good position to handle the business aspects of privacy and computer security. You would be much safer as an employee.

Similar Messages:

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Liability Insurance For Business Associate/IC
Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.   http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

To The AP Transcriptionists: Now That There Is A Line Requirement And An Hours Requirement (sm)
Sep 25, 2012

what are you all doing when there is no work during whatever your shift may have been?  Are you having to make up the hours elsewhere?  (That could lead to potentially a lot of bouncing around the shifts trying to find work.) ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

ASR Lph Requirement
Oct 20, 2009

I'm going to start ASR shortly and am wondernig about line counts.  I'm required to do 150 lph of straight transcription.  My CCM keeps saying not to worry about lines and that I'll be able to easily do 300 lph or more with ASR.  Does this mean I now will have two different line counts to meet.  Will I be required to do 300 lph for ASR and 150 lph for straight reports?  I'm confused on this.   Thanks   ...

Line Requirement For
Mar 15, 2010

Can somebody explain this to me?  I know you can work up to 40 hrs weekly, but what is the required line count?  I'm wanting to go to PT so I can get another PT job somewhere else, as the NJA drives my nuts.  I'm currently required to get 100 lph at FTLB.  Is this also my requirement if I go PT?  CCM has been MIA, so I'm not getting any help there and having a hard time finding exactly what I'm looking for on Central.  Thanks ...

Medquist's Requirement
Jan 07, 2011

I started to apply for a job at Medquist, but saw right off the bat they required my Social Security number to be given.  I feel uncomfortable giving out my number before I even fill out an application or take a test.  It didn't appear to me to be a secure site, and I don't like that floating around in cyberspace.  I wrote them back and asked if I could give my SS# after I took a test, but have received no reply.   I've put in several applic ...

Cable/ DSL Only Requirement
Jul 10, 2011

It is very annoying to see so many companies with a DSL or cable only requirement to apply for a position with them.  I use a fixed wireless connection with Doc-Q-Scribe and with ChartNet with absolutely no problems at alll.  In fact, I am consistently one of the top...or THE top producer of lines every month and I am up against MTs who mostly have cable and DSL.  That cable and DSL only policy is keeping some excellent MTs from applying for positions.  Many of these compan ...

Line Requirement
Dec 05, 2011

Last month, there was a post about a company that requires 12,000 lines per pay period full time requirement. I cannot remember which company it was.  Can anyone refresh my memory? ...

Any Other Companies With Less Than 40-hr For FT Requirement?
Mar 10, 2012

For example, Transcend has/had a line commitment more so than an 8-hr requirement, some companies only need 32-35 hours a week for FT status, and I would appreciate if any know and would share who these companies are. ...

QA Score Requirement?
Jan 08, 2013

What is the QA score requirement?  I thought it was 99%.  I had three audits today that scored 99.75% and was told that if I proofread the jobs better before I sent them I would catch these small mistakes (one per job).  Are we supposed to get 100% now?  Just curious.  TIA! ...

Accuracy Requirement
Mar 09, 2013

Very shortly our accuracy requirement will be 99.6%.  Since this company cares nothing about accuracy, my conclusion is two-fold:  1) As they always have, they are going to use this as a marketing tool.  2) Anyone who falls below 99.6% will have their pay docked thus reducing the company's labor costs even further and will probably result in administrative bonuses.  For new employees - welcome to MM.  For everyone else - get out if you can.  ...

InScribe & 99.5 Requirement
May 13, 2013

I have been offered a position with InScribe and am really on the fence regarding accepting the position or not.  I currently work for Webmedx/Nuance and positively HATE Nuance and looking to get out of there.  The presentation for InScribe says they require all their MTs to maintain a 99.5 score or better and you are only allowed 1 time a year to fall below 99.5.  This scares me to death to be honest.  I am a good transcriptionist and consistently have reports through FIESA ...

I Am Confused--is There An Age Requirement For TAA?
Aug 18, 2013

I thought I had read somewhere you have to be 50 and older. ?? Maybe I was mistaken. Hope so, I'd miss it by 1 year. :( So, since got laid off Friday, plan on applying for unemployment Monday. If I want to try and apply for TAA should I NOT apply for unemployment? Did I read that you CAN be on UI and apply for this? Jeesh, apparently I can never remember what I had read. I think all of those of us (eventually probably most if not all of us) who got laid off should just use this ...

LPH Requirement For Editing?
Dec 27, 2013

I know straight typing is 157 lph.  Anyone know what the editing LPH is? ...

What Is The VSR/ASR Lph Requirement At Your Company?
Feb 19, 2015

Just curious as to what your particular company requires in terms of VSR/ASR lph and straight type lph requirements?  QA percentage, etc?  I feel my company is getting a little steep on theirs and chastising people inappropriately and it fosters major errors to be flying at the speed of sound.  Sound off?  Thanks.   ...

Do You Always Make Your Minimum Requirement
Mar 16, 2010

on your lines?  I have the worst time staying focused and get worried at the end of every pay period if I haven't met my minimum line requirement.  I get paid more on minimum wage anyway.  Do you always make your line minimum requirement? ...