A community of 30,000 US Transcriptionist serving Medical Transcription Industry

Liability Insurance for Business Associate/IC - MTsince99

Posted: Nov 02, 2013

I spent a lot of time looking for an insurance company that will not charge me an arm and a leg to be insured as a Business Associate (formerly IC). I paid $400 a year, which is not bad considering the other choices. I just want to share to those of you that need to be insured.

http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php

Some questions for you - if you do not mind

[ In Reply To ..]
I've seen this site posted here before, don't know if it was you or not.

What did you use for the business description? Medical transcription is not one of the options for my state, so I'm curious as to what you chose.

Also, what are the exclusions on the policy? In insurance terms, if it is not specifically EXCLUDED, then it is included in the policy.

Insurance companies are really good at putting interesting exclusions on the policy, so I would be very interested in the exclusions on your policy to find out what they will not cover.

Thanks.

Liability Insurance - MTsince99

[ In Reply To ..]
I called the company and they told me it will fall under translating/interpreting (errors and ommission insurance).

Exclusions, just to name a few:
Fraud, incident prior to retroactive date, infringement of copyrights.

They also cover the people under you if you have subcontractors working under you (I was told by the Customer Support who took my call).

Similar Messages:

Professional Liability Insurance For Business Associate/ Independent Contractor
Oct 08, 2013

So after more than a month of research for the new HIPAA-HITECH Final Rule, I was able to pass everything to the company I work for as an IC. I just want to share to any IC/BA if anyone is still looking for professional liability insurance/Error and Omission. This company is the cheapest I have found. http://www.myvirtualstore.yolasite.com/professional-liability-insurance.php   ...

IC Now Called Business Associate
Aug 27, 2013

I have been offered a job as IC/Business Associate.  Now that I have looked into the HIPPA ruling this make me nervous as I can now be held liable even with fines up to $25,000 and even stiffer penalties.  I barely make it now from payday to payday.    I am not in a position to afford any kind of insurance like Liability Insurance.  I have always been a FT employee.  I am now torn on what to do.  The company is willing to train me in VR but when I read all the ...

Business Associate Agreement
Nov 14, 2014

Does anyone know where to get a free printable/downloadable Business Associate Agreement (template) that I can have my transcription subcontractors sign? It needs to be one with the 2013 Omnibus rule included. I have looked all over but can't find anything adequate yet. Thank you! ...

HIPAA Business Associate Training
Sep 05, 2014

Is there a website that offers HIPAA training for Business Associates for free? I work as a subcontractor for iMedX, and we're required to show proof of annual training. Last year I took a quick course online for $20 and got a certificate. I'm just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative. iMedX has offered no guidance about where to get our training. Thanks! ...

Liability Insurance For IC's
Apr 12, 2010

Any ICs out there that have been told they have to carry "liability insurance" that also covers HIPPA breaches?  I feel this job is costing me more money than I can make anymore.  Plus, they tell me when I can and can't take off, when I have to work, etc. and even call me on weekends when TAT is running out and I'm off.  Of course when I do take off, I don't get paid and am told I have to make the time up.  What the heck?  Anway, back on subject, anybody have the insurance an ...

Need Liability Insurance.
Jan 18, 2012

I'm have a part time IC job that is mine if I want it, but I need liability insurance.  I'm having trouble finding a company around me that offers it for a single person.  I'm waiting for some calls back, but wondered if anyone has some suggestions.  This is only going to be a part time second job for me right now, so I don't want to pay a fortune.  The woman who does the job now, but wants to cut back on work, has her's through State Farm for $26, bu ...

Alltype And Liability Insurance
Apr 17, 2010

Does anyone know where to go to for the liability insurance due to HIPPA?  Alltype is requiring this now. ...

Liability Insurance - Have You Been Asked
Oct 07, 2010

Has anyone been asked to purchase liabillity insurance for themselves as an IC.  If so, how much does it cost.  I was interviewed for an IC position, they said they had insurance, but I would also have to purchase liability insurance.  I have never done worked as an IC before so I could use some tips. ...

Replacing Liability Insurance
May 29, 2012

The corp. I contract with is replacing Dictaphone and transcription with Powerscribe and editing.  I have been presented with an extensive contract which will supersede the transcription agreement I have had for 10+ years.  Aside from the disparity in pay and expectation to edit STATS for free, I have serious concerns about signing a contract that states I have full legal liability for the edited report and that I have to carry Workers Comp and 1-3 Million $ E&O and general liability insurance ...

From IC To BA - Requirement And Liability Insurance
Aug 19, 2013

Hi. I received an email from my account telling me ICs are now BA (business associate) per HIPAA. Honestly, I do not know anything about this. They provided some links for me to read on. I was given the choice to become a BA and provide the requirements they need or become an employee. I would like to still be self-employed and not an employee if I can. Have anyone here completed the requirements? Can you please help me how you got the requirements done? They also require liability insuranc ...

Anybody Here Carries A Liability Insurance
Aug 30, 2013

Hello, I just want to ask if anybody here carries a liability insurance. How much do you pay? Anybody here can share with me information about being a business associate (independent contractor) in compliance with the new HIPAA law?   Thanks. ...

Liability Insurance For IC Position?
Dec 10, 2014

I just interviewed with a company that told me I have to have a million dollars in liability insurance and have to show them the certificate in order to be an IC. ??? Do all the IC's out there carry this? Does anybody know where you buy this and how much it costs? ...

Liability Insurance For Independent Contractor
Nov 01, 2010

Do any of you who work as an independent contractor for an MTSO carry liability insurance?  Why or why not?  Do they have to carry it and cover you or are you responsible for this?  Thanks.  ...

Errors & Omissions Liability Insurance
Jul 24, 2013

Was just informed that I cannot continue to work unless I have E&O liability insurance.  WT@#$#!$#$#!!!!  Does anyone have this?  ...

Medical Transcription Liability Insurance
Sep 19, 2013

Where do you buy transcription liability insurance and how expensive is it. I'm ready to go work at Wal-Mart after 20 years in this business. ...

Company Requires "professional Liability Insurance" Through Employer.
Jun 04, 2010

Does anyone have experience with this? I am not sure what to think.  I feel that the record is the responsibility of the author and/or the supervising physician.  ...

Small MT Business Insurance
Feb 24, 2014

For those of you who own your own small MT business, can you advise me if liability insurance is a requirement?  Do you recommend this or is it even cost-effective? Thanks for any help.  Please ONLY those who actually have their own business.  Not just opinions.  Thanks! ...

Liability Ins. For ICs?
May 20, 2011

A company I may be contracting with recommends that insurance for errors and omissions be purchased.  I called the insurance company, and this runs about $320 per year, paid in advance. http://www.ahdionline.org/Careers/CareerResources/ProfessionalLiabilityInsurance/tabid/280/Default.aspx In all my years of being an MT I have never purchased this kind of insurance policy.  Frankly the above seems like fearmongering to get people to buy into this racket. ...

BA And Liability
Sep 04, 2013

I am going to try and post a link here and hope it works. This site gives a pretty simply explanation about HITECH and why the BA liability issue is coming up. It is not about misspelling words, transcribing wrong doses or any narrative in your document (E&O insurance)--it is about privacy of patient information (liability insurance) which most people can get through their homeowner's insurance agent. Good luck. ...

What Exactly Is Liability Going To Cover An MT For? Sm
Sep 03, 2013

I've been hearing a lot about needing to possibly now have liability insurance but what are we being insured against? Liability for what? A mistake in the report? I've always been under the impression that the doctors are supposed to be reading their reports before signing and if they sign it with a mistake, that is THEIR responsibility. ...

Insurance Question. If I Sign Up For Insurance Sm
Apr 15, 2010

and family member wishes to join later, can I enroll at any time or must it be during "official" enrollment period?    Thank you.  ...

Landmark Insurance - Insurance Cards Yet?
Jan 13, 2011

Has anybody received their insurance cards yet? ...

Landmark Insurance - What Is Happening With Our Insurance?
Jan 24, 2011

What do other LMers think of what is happening with our insurance?  I am the head of our household and am worried.  What do we do when COBRA runs out? ...

Nuance Insurance Or Obama's "marketplace" Insurance
Oct 17, 2013

Hmmmmmm, should I go with Nuance insurance or Obama's "marketplace" insurance - that is the question. I'll be broke either way. ...

The VLC - Are They Still In Business?!
Dec 22, 2009

I'm a student with The VLC online school.  I sent in 2 assignments 9 days ago and haven't heard back from them.  They've never been particularly swift reviewing assignments but this is getting ridiculous.  I emailed both the instructor and the general contact address and got Mail Delivery System messages to say that "delivery has been delayed.  Error: unable to reach nameserver on any valid IP."  Their forum site is down although the main web site is still ...

New Business
Apr 05, 2010

I have started my  own medical transcription business and it is going great!  I decaled my vehicle, designed a website and distributed a professional-looking brochure to all medical offices in my city.  How many of you out there are MTs that started their own business?  I would like some feedback on how it is going for you. ...

Going Out Of Business?
Jun 21, 2010

I hate the way things are going, MTSO lost their largest account.  I was promised the same amount of work with the 'other' accounts.  Had all but 7 short notes today.  I think I should just jump ship and find another job.  I am NOT liking the way things are going...Been doing this for a LONG time and I can tell when something is up.  Of course, I asked, they won't tell me the truth, they SELDOM do tell the truth of what is really going on. ...

DIT Is Still In Business?
Oct 10, 2010

Does anyone know if DIT is still in business?  They do not return phone calls and do not respond to emails.  Just wondering. ...

Why Is It Anybody's Business?
Nov 18, 2010

I really resent the fact of being critiqued on how i transcribe/edit a report.  Why is it anybody's business if I use the mouse, keystrokes, or type it with my toes, as long as the report gets done?  I'm sure we all have different styles that work for us - so what's wrong with that?  This is carrying micro-management way too far.  ...

Own Business
Aug 12, 2011

I'm wanting to start my own MT business, small scale, moving away from these big national companies. Anybody been there, done that, have a good experience, and some advice as to where to start? ...